HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luke Schenn signs multi-year contract

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
shaner89

vCash: 500
3 Years 12 Mill seems fair both ways

Leafs control him as a RFA after the contract which in turn means a little more salary per yr

Old
09-14-2011, 03:41 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
Alright Burkey, pay him $5m...

Or rant about how he's a steal when he gets $3m, which is all he's worth.

Or put up a Schenn vs. Staal poll.
OR we could talk about Luke Schenn and his next contract.... Rather then trying to turn every Leafs thread into a flame war.

Go stir up **** somewhere else.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:42 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
You really missed my point there.

Schenn is also a difference maker every shift. Great play in his own zone, one of the best physical threats along the boards in the league, great break out pass.

He and Staal are very comparable. Split hairs all you want about who is better defensively (I'd say Staal right now), but the difference between them is not much.
Staal is counted on to shutdown players like Ovechkin and Crosby. Schenn isn't.

Frankly, at this point Aulie is better defensively than Schenn, as he is more polished. I don't know what the final product of Schenn will be, but he needs to realize that going for the big hit isn't always a good idea. It's why his giveaway v. takeaway stats are so atrocious.

Edit: Not that Aulie's stats are much better, but he's only had half a season so far. Schenn's had 3.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
zeus3007*

With Bogosian's deal, does this change the perception of what Schenn might be worth? Just wondering opinions here.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:45 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post

Frankly, at this point Aulie is better defensively than Schenn, as he is more polished. I don't know what the final product of Schenn will be, but he needs to realize that going for the big hit isn't always a good idea. It's why his giveaway v. takeaway stats are so atrocious.
Judging by this entire post, especially the bolded, I don't think you have seen nearly enough of Schenn at all to make these kind of statements.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
With Bogosian's deal, does this change the perception of what Schenn might be worth? Just wondering opinions here.
about 1.5-2 million higher imo

Old
09-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

Schenn doesn't shutdown good players? he was our best shutdown dman ....

and no Aulie isnt > Schenn ... Aulie is Schenn-lite imo ... but Schenn is better by quite a bit ... and Aulie is no slouch either

Old
09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I'd say Schenn should be paid at least $1M more, maybe $1.5M.

Schenn is being paid to keep doing what he is doing, and continue improving along the path that could make him a top pairing defenseman. I think Bogosian is wanted to get back on the right track and show the potential that he has. Two different situations.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Judging by this entire post, especially the bolded, I don't think you have seen nearly enough of Schenn at all to make these kind of statements.
About ten games a season. I doubt you guys watch more of the Rangers, so...

In the games I watched, that's how it seemed to me. Besides, the one thing I mentioned about Schenn (going for the unnecessary hits) has been noticeable for all three seasons. If he wants to become a true top pairing shutdown guy, he needs to work on it.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
OR we could talk about Luke Schenn and his next contract.... Rather then trying to turn every Leafs thread into a flame war.

Go stir up **** somewhere else.
Seriously dude. You get into a flamewar in every thead, not me.

How do you evaluate contracts?

You look at comperable players. If someone thinks he's worth $4m, fine with me. Go ahead and post it. But I don't think he's anywhere near as good as Mark Staal and I'd wager that neither does 90% of HF.

I posted what I think the Leafs should shoot for in my original post -- $2.8, for 3yrs.

What have you added to the thread?

Old
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Schenn is not as good as Staal was when he signed, but close. Though the cap has gone up since Staal signed so the numbers could be close.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:55 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Schenn doesn't shutdown good players? he was our best shutdown dman ....

and no Aulie isnt > Schenn ... Aulie is Schenn-lite imo ... but Schenn is better by quite a bit ... and Aulie is no slouch either
Well, judging by corsi qualcomp, it seems like Aulie played with Phaneuf on the top pairing and had tougher opposition than Schenn (which makes sense, considering Schenn and Phaneuf are both RD).

Aulie played very well when I watched (except for the games between the Rangers and Leafs, all the games I watched of you guys were in the second half). He reminded me a lot of Sauer on the Rangers, Aulie just turned the puck over a lot more, but that he can work on. He was there to clean up Phaneuf's mistakes and he did it as a rookie.

Schenn is still making the same mistakes he did in year 1. I don't know if he is just stubborn like that or if the coaching staff doesn't care.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
About ten games a season. I doubt you guys watch more of the Rangers, so...

In the games I watched, that's how it seemed to me. Besides, the one thing I mentioned about Schenn (going for the unnecessary hits) has been noticeable for all three seasons. If he wants to become a true top pairing shutdown guy, he needs to work on it.
I actually do watch quite a bit of the Rangers. There are certain NHL teams I try to watch as much as I can for various reasons, and I've always liked the Rangers. Anyways, the point here is that your suggestion of Aulie being a better shutdown defenseman, specifically more polished, is just plain off. He has less than half a season under his belt, and while he performed great alongside Phaneuf, he has yet to prove himself for long enough to be considered more polished than Schenn.

Also, I don't see Schenn as taking himself out of the play to make a hit very often. He rarely attempts to lay out an open ice hit, and does most of his work along the boards that can really kill a cycling game and regain possession for the Leafs. Frankly, I just don't really see what you're claiming here.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:

You look at comperable players. If someone thinks he's worth $4m, fine with me. Go ahead and post it. But I don't think he's anywhere near as good as Mark Staal and I'd wager that neither does 90% of HF.

I posted what I think the Leafs should shoot for in my original post -- $2.8, for 3yrs.

Ya, he's definitely not there yet. He may be in the future, but right now Staal's resume is superior and he is the better play ATM. Also, he is an all-star. Its not a knock on Schenn, but more a testament Staal's ability. Either way, Staal money or slightly less is the best comparable for Schenn. I think 3.5 AAV would be fair.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
i'd argue that Schenn is better defensively than Staal ...
Fixed that for you.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:02 PM
sparxx87

Quote:

I unwillingly watch a lot of Rangers games and IMO Staal is slightly better then Schenn. The 2 are definitely comparable though, Schenn being younger and having terrible goaltending behind him for 2 1/2 of his 3 years. Staal has had an all-star goalie and top 5 in the world behind him his entire career. I give a slight edge to Staal only because he's a bit more mobile.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:02 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Ya, he's definitely not there yet. He may be in the future, but right now Staal's resume is superior and he is the better play ATM. Also, he is an all-star. Its not a knock on Schenn, but more a testament Staal's ability. Either way, Staal money or slightly less is the best comparable for Schenn. I think 3.5 AAV would be fair.
Did I miss something, when was Staal an All-Star?

Old
09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Did I miss something, when was Staal an All-Star?
This past season he was.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
I actually do watch quite a bit of the Rangers. There are certain NHL teams I try to watch as much as I can for various reasons, and I've always liked the Rangers. Anyways, the point here is that your suggestion of Aulie being a better shutdown defenseman, specifically more polished, is just plain off. He has less than half a season under his belt, and while he performed great alongside Phaneuf, he has yet to prove himself for long enough to be considered more polished than Schenn.

Also, I don't see Schenn as taking himself out of the play to make a hit very often. He rarely attempts to lay out an open ice hit, and does most of his work along the boards that can really kill a cycling game and regain possession for the Leafs. Frankly, I just don't really see what you're claiming here.
As I said, this is my perception from the games I've watched. I didn't say he goes open ice hits, I said he goes for hits in general. Maybe I'm just comparing him to Staal too much, but there are just many times when I see him being unnecessarily physical. There's few times when Staal goes to the boards to fight for the puck and doesn't retrieve it.

I know Schenn is known for his physicality, but I think if he tones it down a bit, it'll make him a better defenseman in the long run. Schenn and Staal play somewhat similar games, but I see Staal as much more polished. He turns the puck over less, is a bit less physical (not necessarily good), but most importantly does all of the above against much better opposition than Schenn sees. He's also a slightly better skater, but that's slightly less important considering their styles of play.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Good for the Leafs if true.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:06 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
This past season he was.
I thought it was Lidstrom/Weber first team and Chara/Visnovsky second team.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Hopefully 4 years in the 24-28 million range. If you look at Ron Hainsey and his last contract for example, amoung others, it would be fair market value.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:09 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Hopefully 4 years in the 24-28 million range. If you look at Ron Hainsey and his last contract for example, amoung others, it would be fair market value.

Ok now enough. Funny with Marchand, Bogosian, Doughty and Schenn...

Now quit while you're ahead... It'll get old in a hurry.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Kylie Sven Opossum

Quote:

Edit: Not that Aulie's stats are much better, but he's only had half a season so far. Schenn's had 3.
lol wut? seriously, try watching some games. Maybe read a book too.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:10 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
You've worn out your act. Give it a rest.

Closed Thread