HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Biggiemac95*

vCash: 500
As a leaf fan i am really worried to be facing this guy. He's going to be a beast player. If he can make the team this year, which i am sure he definitely will, i'm betting this guy takes the Calder.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
Certainly position impacts how a guy plays, but I'm not sureyou have a very clear memory of Hossa. I don't think anyone has ever considered Hossa a pure goal scorer, though he certainly is a very capable one. Also, Hossa has always been very good defensively, and if he were born in Moose Jaw would be considered a power forward.

The comparison isn't perfect. No comparison ever is. But there are some similarities. The biggest question for me when comparing the two however, would be if Zib's puck skills at high speeds are as great as Hossa's.
Yeah, I agree with that. Hossa scored a lot of goals because of the sheer opportunities he created with his speed, strength and puck control. But he wasn't a pure goal scorer from an 'opportunist' perspective, as you categorize a Heatley. I don't think we know enough about about Z-bad, but he might fit into this. He's a bit bigger, although I'm not sure stronger. I doubt he'll ever skate in Hossa's class, but he is definitely a plus skater. Z-bad seems a bit more physical, with at least a dash of nasty in there somewhere.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:49 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

He's a poor man's Ovechkin.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
SenzZen

I don't really get the Hossa comparison.

For example- I can't see Zibanejad carrying the puck through the neutral zone, into the opposition's end, into the corner, around the net, up the boards towards the blueline, and then leaving it for Phillips to shoot around the boards.

Maybe it's just me, but I think he'll take the puck to the net.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
I don't really get the Hossa comparison.

For example- I can't see Zibanejad carrying the puck through the neutral zone, into the opposition's end, into the corner, around the net, up the boards towards the blueline, and then leaving it for Phillips to shoot around the boards.

Maybe it's just me, but I think he'll take the puck to the net.
When people say he reminds them of Hossa, they don't mean Zbad is the exact same player. I don't think a lot of people on here realize that.

Zbad has a couple things that are similar to Hossa. His size, speed and stride are all Hossa like. He reads the whole ice very well just like Hossa and he's strong as an Ox, like Hossa.

I love the Hossa comparison personally, I see a lot of Hossa in him.

Old
09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Manny*

Kesler, but not a *****.

Old
09-14-2011, 02:22 PM
4thliner*

Zbad is more physically 'aggressive' player than Hossa.

That is a big difference.

Hossa had the physical stregth and speed but he wasn't a go out and get it type of guy who would look to go after players physically. His talent was used more to protect the puck and to power past guys. Plus Zbad is a little bigger than Hossa.

With the amount of toughness on the team this year, this guy will be free to run around a lot and do his thing without having to drop the mitts.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:14 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

My take (albeit after only 3 rookie games) is that the Hossa comparison is a fairly close one. They are both physical specimans, that have an extra gear.

While Zibanejad will probably have a bigger body and be more physical than Hossa, it's still a question mark whether his puck skills will be as good as Hossa's. At 18 years old Zibanejad's skating looks unrefined, but he has so much power that his speed has to be one of his best attributes for a big man. His style of play is similar to Hossa's, as they both are more up and down players, or slasher's, that constantly attack the middle of the ice and the net, as opposed to guys that curl and finesse around the offensive zone and are more distributer's like alfie or Petersson.

To me, both Hossa and Zibanejad play like bulls that would rather go through you than around you with Zibanejad having a bigger and more physical style, and Hossa having the superior puck skills. Again, all after only 3 games against rookies, but just my take so far.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:21 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens2k9 View Post
Reminds me of Sundin, really. Early days
Zibanejad has been called the new Mats Sundin more than a couple of times in Sweden this past season. Dunno if it's such a close comparison but no other swedish player fits the description better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Da costa sucks.
This has quickly begun to be as worn out as the U MAD gif.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:33 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Zibanejad has been called the new Mats Sundin more than a couple of times in Sweden this past season. Dunno if it's such a close comparison but no other swedish player fits the description better.

This has quickly begun to be as worn out as the U MAD gif.

Is Zibanejad's back hander anywhere near half as good as Sundin's was? Cuz that would be nice.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Sundin's a tough comparison to make on anyone I've ever seen....the deal with Zibanejad is I think even the people who thought he was underrated are seeing that even they may have underrated him (myself included).

He's got some serious potential. And already I think he's a better pick than Landeskog.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:40 PM
HavlatMach9

He's definitely got the compete level of Landeskog so that's great to see.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:44 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-11-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old
09-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
I just wonder if people that doubted that he was going to force his way onto the starting roster have changed their opinion?

When making your decision, please remember that Ottawa currently has a glaring opening at the 2C position.

It is a toss-up between him and Da Costa, with Regin a bit behind IMO.
I was never one of them but it seems that way. How could you not?

Old
09-14-2011, 03:48 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Sundin's a tough comparison to make on anyone I've ever seen....the deal with Zibanejad is I think even the people who thought he was underrated are seeing that even they may have underrated him (myself included).

He's got some serious potential. And already I think he's a better pick than Landeskog.
I completely agree. I'm in the same boat, i thought he was underrated but even I'm blown away watching him.

Like someone else in this thread said, I'm normally against keeping kids up as an 18 year old right out of the draft, but he looks NHL ready to me.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:48 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-11-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old
09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-11-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old
09-14-2011, 03:51 PM
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract

Christ you guys watched him play 3 games against rookies from other teams and he's being compared to Forsberg and Sundin. I was more impressed with Petersson, Prince and Cowick tbh. Zibanejad still needs more work and experience, before we know how good he will be. I think if he reaches his potential Zibanejad will be a very good 2nd or 3rd line center (If he even makes it to the NHL). But Forsberg? Lol.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
Colorado fans will be just as happy with Landeskog. It's the nature of the beast.
That could change, if they don't have a choice. The only thing someone could tell me right now in favour of Landeskog is intangibles and leadership...

When they went around the room at development camp and they all stood up, you could tell pretty quickly which guys shied away from the camera and weren't comfortable, no one was more comfortable and confident doing so then 18 year old Zibanejad. He stood up like it was his room. I see leader in his interviews, he's working on his fifth language, he plays like a champ. There's more skill in this guy, he's taller, may end up heavier, probably a better skater.

I saw Zibanejad in the U18, he was good, you could see some vision, some good hands, a great motor...but it wasn't a showcase of skill for him in any game I saw him. I doubt he got a chance to really showcase his talents in the SEL, in a 3rd line center role, for a couple months, as a 17-18 year old.

We just saw this guy for what he is against guys 19-20-21-22 +...and it was quite a bit better than anyone really thought, perhaps even our scouts.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:55 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
Christ you guys watched him play 3 games against rookies from other teams and he's being compared to Forsberg and Sundin. I was more impressed with Petersson, Prince and Cowick tbh. Zibanejad still needs more work and experience, before we know how good he will be. I think if he reaches his potential Zibanejad will be a very good 2nd or 3rd line center (If he even makes it to the NHL). But Forsberg? Lol.
Once again: There is a difference between comparing a players playing style with another player, and comparing the players skill with each other. It's not really that difficult to understand.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
He's definitely got the compete level of Landeskog so that's great to see.
But with better hands, vision and hockey sense.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
You're worse than the dude that said Da Costa sucks.

I'm not getting onto a hole Forsberg Sundin tangeant...i hate those lofty comparisons. But he looks like he could be a star...and ever since we picked him, this is the first time I've thought he could have what it takes to be the teams best player down the road.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Sounds homer-ish at this point, but I'd agree, no doubt.

Less physically mature at this point too...which could be a good thing as far as upside goes.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:15 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-11-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old
09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
I wouldn't say Zibanejad's hands are that great.

Closed Thread