HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Sundin's a tough comparison to make on anyone I've ever seen....the deal with Zibanejad is I think even the people who thought he was underrated are seeing that even they may have underrated him (myself included).

He's got some serious potential. And already I think he's a better pick than Landeskog.
And this is where the thread seems to have become a little hyperbolic.

Firstly, the first paragraph makes no coherent or logical sense.

Secondly, what in the last 3 months has meant this reaction in relation to perceptions on Mika? No meaningful game has been played. To say he is "already" a better pick than Landeskog seems to lack a little sense of objectivity.

Mika is a great prospect, with an enticing package ; size, endless motor, soft hands and a very upward progression. But declarations of how he's already superior to prospects taken before him or that he's very likely to make the NHL roster are way way way too premature. He has a shot at making the team, leave it at that until training camp actually happens.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
And this is where the thread seems to have become a little hyperbolic.

Firstly, the first paragraph makes no coherent or logical sense.

Secondly, what in the last 3 months has meant this reaction in relation to perceptions on Mika? No meaningful game has been played. To say he is "already" a better pick than Landeskog seems to lack a little sense of objectivity.

Mika is a great prospect, with an enticing package ; size, endless motor, soft hands and a very upward progression. But declarations of how he's already superior to prospects taken before him or that he's very likely to make the NHL roster are way way way too premature. He has a shot at making the team, leave it at that until training camp actually happens.
The first sentence makes sense. The people that thought he was underrated may now think even they themselves were underrating him.

To be fair, I had said probably a month or so before the draft that "I wouldn't be surprised if Zibanejad > Landeskog" even at that time. One player was front and center in Kitchener..the other played half a season in the SEL. He was better than I expected in these past 3 games...trust me, I realize who he was playing against, and he did better than I had expected.

We'll see what happens

Old
09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
I wouldn't say Zibanejad's hands are that great.
Landeskog's hands aren't "great".

Old
09-14-2011, 05:29 PM
starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
But declarations of how he's already superior to prospects taken before him or that he's very likely to make the NHL roster are way way way too premature. He has a shot at making the team, leave it at that until training camp actually happens.
Wait, wasn't Larsson picked after Lando?
(looking at your avatar)

Old
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
TooLow494

Is Mika Zibanejad the Ryan Johansen of this year's draft in that he was drafted much higher than he was projected?

Old
09-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

I don't understand why Sens fans feel the need to suddenly say "he is the best pick in the draft", "he's better than Lando" when it's been 3 months since the drat and you haven't seen the other players during that period of time.

It's one thing to cheer the guy on, but stop being so homeristic.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Murdoch View Post
I don't understand why Sens fans feel the need to suddenly say "he is the best pick in the draft", "he's better than Lando" when it's been 3 months since the drat and you haven't seen the other players during that period of time.

We need something to perk us up through what should be a pretty abysmal season.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Mathieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino5000 View Post
Is Mika Zibanejad the Ryan Johansen of this year's draft in that he was drafted much higher than he was projected?
Not really. He was projected to go between 4 and 10, althought 4th overall would have been a little suprise.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
HavlatMach9

We expected to pick much earlier than 6 so we discussed at length whether we would pick RNH, Larsson, Landeskog so when we fell to 6th, we thought we missed out on a strong prospect but today we see that Zibanejad is hinting that he's also a strong prospect.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Thought the possibility was realistic well before the draft based on the fact that even scouts had limited viewings of the guy. I feel more confident about it...regardless of the others Zibanejad looks like a stud, some guys just jump out at you. He impressed a lot of people in the past week.

This can all change pretty quick, don't get me wrong. First impressions are important, that's basically what this was.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino5000 View Post
Not really, pretty much everyone had MZ in the area of 6 overall. Pretty sure I saw ISS and even Button both say the same.

Quote:

Don't recall anyone calling MZ the "best pick in the draft" and if it did happen, it wasn't more than one or two, so I don't get why you'd feel the need to group the rest of us in that sentence. There's also a difference in "could be better than Lando" and "he's better than Lando".

Old
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Our prospects suck.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
Our prospects suck.
You're biased Gabe.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

So in conclusion it's way to early to tell, sick goal last night tho! \thread

Old
09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
coladin

I too feel that I may have underrated him. He jumped out the way Hossa and Havlat did. I haven't seen a player like MZ come through here in a long, long time.

To me I see some Jagr in him. I don't know if it is his frams, his gait or the way he handles the puck but He sure looks impressive. Can't wait to see him at pre-season.

Landeskog is a nice player but he is, IMO, near his ceiling. I feel he is Mike Fisher. Nothing more, nothing less which is not bad. I but he will be an NHLer. think the scouts fell in love with his smile, his English, his physique. Talent -wise it is early but as far as first impressions go, they count for a hell of a lot.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Tuna99

He's the perfect second line center - can play any type of game and with a guy like Noesen who plays like a dirt pig these two guys will be a second line that could match up against anybody in a playoff or regular season game in a few years.

I love how Zibby plays with speed and how Noesen was always rubbing up against guys and leaving little space for anybody.

I think Zibby's offence is still a bit overrated on these boards probably because of his rookie tournamnet. But with the right wingers to create and pass the puck.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
He's the perfect second line center - can play any type of game and with a guy like Noesen who plays like a dirt pig these two guys will be a second line that could match up against anybody in a playoff or regular season game in a few years.

I love how Zibby plays with speed and how Noesen was always rubbing up against guys and leaving little space for anybody.

I think Zibby's offence is still a bit overrated on these boards probably because of his rookie tournamnet. But with the right wingers to create and pass the puck.
I don't think the offensive skill he showed in this tournament is just going to disappear. Lots of scouts had talked about great hands, shot, hockey sense, etc but no one here really had any solid viewings for themselves.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
Christ you guys watched him play 3 games against rookies from other teams and he's being compared to Forsberg and Sundin. I was more impressed with Petersson, Prince and Cowick tbh. Zibanejad still needs more work and experience, before we know how good he will be. I think if he reaches his potential Zibanejad will be a very good 2nd or 3rd line center (If he even makes it to the NHL). But Forsberg? Lol.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
I wouldn't say Zibanejad's hands are that great.
Watch his highlights from the preseason, two plays come to mind, thatsweet ass assist to Petersson of the face-off was pretty dandy, that baller backhand from last night was top shelf business, I haven't seen a backhand like that in a while.

Even in his short time in the SEL you could see the pure skill he had by that sweet deke on Larsson or that backcheck steal beside the net and goes and L dekes the
goalie and scores.

While watching Landeskog's highlight videos he quickly reminded me of fisher, size speed and somewhat of shot but nothing else.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
I just wonder if people that doubted that he was going to force his way onto the starting roster have changed their opinion?

When making your decision, please remember that Ottawa currently has a glaring opening at the 2C position.

It is a toss-up between him and Da Costa, with Regin a bit behind IMO.
I actually am reconsidering my former opinion.

I was roughly 90% committed to sending him back to the SEL for seasoning, but I was really blown away by his play in the rookie tourny. I was one of those guys underrating him by a fair margin, by no means unhappy with him, but disappointed we hadn't picked up one of the hyped skill players (Strome or Huberdeau).

I'd say I'm more 60% confident we should send him back now. You might wonder why, but honestly, this is a throw-away year. We'll finish well out of the playoffs, hopefully pick up a good pick as consolation, and be ready to begin our ascent the year after. If Zibby can get top minutes in the SEL and just dominate, possibly going to the WJC (is he eligible?), I'd be happy to wait for him.

Still, it's a really tough decision cause (from my limited viewing of him) he's better than Da Costa and probably ahead of Regin as well.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

For those who saw the rookie tournament and caught a good glimpse of Zibby, does he look like he has the confidence and makeup to make the team and than past that, stick with the team all year? Could he learn more from playing in a second line center role with the big club than going back to Sweden?

What would you say his chances are of making the team? Looking like 60/40 right now. I think he makes it unless he bombs in camp or Da Costa plays lights out.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

It's a little early.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:59 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
For those who saw the rookie tournament and caught a good glimpse of Zibby, does he look like he has the confidence and makeup to make the team and than past that, stick with the team all year? Could he learn more from playing in a second line center role with the big club than going back to Sweden?

What would you say his chances are of making the team? Looking like 60/40 right now. I think he makes it unless he bombs in camp or Da Costa plays lights out.
I'd say his chances of making the team are probably around 80%. If he plays the same way that he did in the rookie tourney, he makes the team without any doubts. Let`s just wait and see if he can do the same playing with the big boys.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:02 PM
4thliner*

Zbad does not need to be this team's 2nd line C, he just needs to start off at 3 C and get his 14 mins a night with some specialty minutes to start and contribute/learn

And according to Tim Murray, that would be fine.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post

I'd give him a 60-70% chance of making the team. I think his real competition is Regin, and Regin went out and gave himself a minor injury playing soccer. If he's even slightly hampered by that ankle I think he'll get passed over for Zibby.

I'd much rather see Zibanejad in the SEL, but Murray and Co probably won't mind playing him in the NHL, because:

a) Money: Recent, high-calibre pick means more tickets sold.
b) Gives credibility to our scouting staff.
c) Our team might not be a complete joke if Zibby helps to win some games and is a bright spot on the roster.

Closed Thread