HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dave Stubbs: Montreal Canadiens' Scott Gomez looking to bounce back this season

Old
09-14-2011, 06:44 AM
wedge

vCash: 500
I think he'll rebound too. Maybe not to 60 points. I expect something like 55. That's still not deserving of his salary, but it's still 17 more points than he got last year.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:17 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Yeah... I'm sure if Gomez had simply said "We worked hard all season but the puck just wouldn't get in", that would have go well with the media and the fans.
I'm the sure brought the strength and conditioning coach to Alaska, because he had a fantastic year and just couldn't finish.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I'm the sure brought the strength and conditioning coach to Alaska, because he had a fantastic year and just couldn't finish.
Well, there's nothing wrong in training harder.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:29 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The stats buffs willfully, stubbornly, blindly insist that he hasn't been that bad. Gomez doesn't agree with his apologists on this forum. I give him credit for being wiser than they are. One good season would help take the sting out of his past failure and I light candles in the hope he has one. he owes it to the team and the fans. But another season like the last one and he'd deserve to be tarred and feathered. We'd see JM giving him the Pouliot treatment.
Just because Gomez is a professional athlete and he's hard on himself doesn't negate or discredit proven stats that show his line mates shooting percentages being terrible at the start of the season. Gionta was in a rut and Moen, Darche, etc are low % shooting guys in the first place.

The mere fact that people try to argue against this is what is silly. Look I'm not saying Gomez played his best but there were numerous times early on where I saw Gio miss golden opportunities supplied to him by Gomez. Did Gomez lose confidence after that and have a hard time playing with a guy who has a less than 5% shooting percentage most of the time? Yes he did. Was this Gomez fault? Of course some of the fault is his own but there are reasons backed by stats and just because some posters are so blinded by their anti-Gomez bias that they can't accept cold hard facts doesn't change the fact that they exist.

Gomez might have still had a bad season of 45-48 points had Pacioretty and Gionta been on his line all year, but not 38 points. Again I'm not saying it isn't Gomez fault of course he has to take the blame for a lot of it but you can't just pretend facts and stats don't exist based on your personal bias against the guy. And just because like most adults and pro athletes he blames himself for his own lack of production and doesn't throw Gionta under the bus for missing wide open nets or Moen for not being a top six player... or even JM or PG for not addressing this clear as day problem having a 4th liner on the 2nd line... it doesn't all of the sudden make the stats no longer exist.

I know some of you guys hate Gomez but get a grip. Trying to deny that stats are stats and relevant to the equation just because Gomez came out and took responsibility? That's absolutely ridiculous. Just because Scott is hard on himself doesn't change the fact that I have eyes, watched every game this season and know how Gomez played with my very own eyes. Could he have been better? Sure, the guy lost all confidence and started playing pretty bad but you can't just pretend that the Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta line where he was pretty much putting up PPG for that period all of the sudden never happened versus the dead zone of Moen-Gomez-Gionta/Kostitsyn.

Not trying to be mean but I find it quite ridiculous how much people allow their Gomez hate to cloud their judgment of an honest situation. It isn't all Gomez fault like you make it out to be and no amount of Gomez being a man or you pretending stats don't exist will change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Yeah... I'm sure if Gomez had simply said "We worked hard all season but the puck just wouldn't get in", that would have go well with the media and the fans.
Exactly! I guess I'm not the only one who finds this comment laughable and filled with bias. If you hate Gomez fine, cite his stats or salary like the next guy, but don't make something out of nothing. What was he supposed to say "I did work hard last year and that was the best I could do?" or "It was the coaching!"? Come on now. One of the main reasons they got Gomez is because he's a team guy and a professional. He isn't going to sink to the point of blaming anyone but himself. In Scott's mind he is capable of carrying a line and he's disappointed in himself. I think judging from the article we can all see that. Problem is he can't carry a line he needs proper support and the athlete inside of him isn't going to swallow that pill easy. He blames himself because he's a proud athlete like many and an adult not a baby.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-14-2011 at 08:34 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:49 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

God I hate these fluff articles by these old dinosaurs.

How come no one asks Gomez WHY he was so bad, WHAT did he try to do differently, HOW did it affect him and his linemates, IF he thinks he's learned from it, etc.

It has little to do with his condition and effort and more to do with the fact that he is a perimeter player who forgot how to shoot the puck. Effort doesn't fix that, fundamental change in your game does.

This article does not offer an ounce of news or insight - lest Stubbs, Hickey and Mio get the cold shoulder on the charter plane one day. Apron Basu farts better journalism.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:57 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1744
JF Chaumont wrote on twitter that Pierre Allard, the Habs strength and conditioning coach, visited Scott Gomez 2 or 3 times this summer in Alaska. To me that looks like the organization does not have much faith in Gomez' off-ice work ethic.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:01 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
JF Chaumont wrote on twitter that Pierre Allard, the Habs strength and conditioning coach, visited Scott Gomez 2 or 3 times this summer in Alaska. To me that looks like the organization does not have much faith in Gomez' off-ice work ethic.
AFAIK, it's Gomez himself who paid to have him flew over to Alaska, to have the best regime possible and update on his progresses

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:02 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

How come no one asks Gomez WHY he was so bad, WHAT did he try to do differently, HOW did it affect him and his linemates, IF he thinks he's learned from it, etc.

It has little to do with his condition and effort and more to do with the fact that he is a perimeter player who forgot how to shoot the puck. Effort doesn't fix that, fundamental change in your game does.

This article does not offer an ounce of news or insight - lest Stubbs, Hickey and Mio get the cold shoulder on the charter plane one day. Apron Basu farts better journalism.
We'll see whose right when Gomez comes back plays the same game he's always played but because he has competent line mates actually puts up points

But don't worry, you guys will be able to find some other reason to hate him then too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Gomez hired him. So yeah since he hired him to specifically do that, he did that.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:11 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
AFAIK, it's Gomez himself who paid to have him flew over to Alaska, to have the best regime possible and update on his progresses
My bad. As you were.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
is Stubbsy pining for the "captain obvious" award?

talk is cheap, let's see what happens on the ice.

Gomez's play since coming to Montreal can only be described as an unmitigated failure... I don't think anyone can be a Habs fan and not be rooting for him to "bounce back" and give the team at least somewhat the level of play that Gainey envisioned when trading for him.

but no more talking about it. I know reporters have to go with the easy and obvious stories, but I'd actually rather hear Gomez say nothing, or simply say "watch me", and let his play speak for itself.

Last year he talked about turning things around and picking up his play several times... never happened.

Talk is cheap. Just DO! and everyone will be happy.
I don't know why anyone even listens/reads these interviews any more. The players are trained seals who are programmed to give responses that the infotainment industry can consume without blowback to the player. Stubbs is a great feature writer but he almost always angles for a fuzzy pro player feeling in his features. With all this in mind it is what it is.

Gomez is not performing - check
Gomez acknowledges he's not performing - check
Gomez improves? - we will see

As far as the apologists go, how Gomez 7 goals became the fault of low shooting percentages by his linemates is beyond reason. Gomez himself knows this, he's acknowledged it, we await a correction.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Paul Dipietro

Looking forward to the 10-game mark to have all this Gomez talk actually mean something again...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:31 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
We'll see whose right when Gomez comes back plays the same game he's always played but because he has competent line mates actually puts up points

But don't worry, you guys will be able to find some other reason to hate him then too.
7.5m Cap Hit and 7 goals. Has very little to do with linemates.

I still blame Stubbs and company for their lack of depth or insight. For one, I'd like to ask Gomez at which point did he realize his usual method was not working and what - if anything - he did to change it. You can't just "have a bad stretch" for 80 games and not try to change somethings up.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:34 AM
hogtownhabsfan

People forget Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty was arguably our top line at the time of Patches injury, and the trio was flying around creating offensive chances nearly every shift. A healthy Patches will go along way towards Gomez rebounding...

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
People forget Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty was arguably our top line at the time of Patches injury, and the trio was flying around creating offensive chances nearly every shift. A healthy Patches will go along way towards Gomez rebounding...
I don't think that's the case. It's more about how useless he was before and after that brief stint...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'll be looking for that little double chin he was sporting all of last year. If he isn't wearing that I'll know he is committed and focused. You know he has the skills... so that's the missing peice, imho.

Fatty Gomez's double chin will be the leading indicator for success.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:33 AM
BLONG7

To borrow a slogan from Nike....Just Do It!!! I do think he will, but I was also part of the crowd who kept thinking he was going to turn it around last year, and other than a dozen games where he and Max and Gio were playing well, he sucked the life out of the team...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Jigger77

Quote:

Well, keep booing the guy maybe it'll help.

In an interviewer with Muller a few weeks ago Melnick brought up Gomez and Muller pretty much said he was out of shape last year and needs to trim down a bit. Good for Gomer. Now let's see it on the ice. This guy is too good a skater not to be a very effective player on this type of team. He is the antitrap.

I for one am 100% behind him as long as he puts in the effort and wears the good guys' logo.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Gomez will pull a Kovalev.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:56 AM
neofury*

Quote:
7.5m Cap Hit and 7 goals. Has very little to do with linemates.

I still blame Stubbs and company for their lack of depth or insight. For one, I'd like to ask Gomez at which point did he realize his usual method was not working and what - if anything - he did to change it. You can't just "have a bad stretch" for 80 games and not try to change somethings up.
If you think that first line actually proves a point other than Sather being a moron for giving him that contract and our management giving too much to acquire a player with that kind of cap hit you're most certainly wrong.

His cap hit doesn't change a thing that happens on the ice. He had no linemates most of the year plain and simple. He never was a guy like Kovalchuk who could make things happen on his own. He's always been a pure playmaker relying heavily on linemates who finish. If you can't see that then I really don't know what to say other than to tell you to commence your senseless Gomez bashfest but quite frankly that first line must be a joke. It's a sad excuse for a response to an honest post.

Gomez does plan to do something to change it, play with competent line mates for a season like he did for his other 10 seasons where he didn't have bad stats. Again though never said none of the fault was his but cap hit isn't really his fault it's Sather/Gainey's for signing him and then trading for a player with that kind of cap hit who is reliant on others to produce. You don't just go from being a pure playmaker your entire career to being able to carry a line with no scoring power on it. Just like his 33g season isn't the rule but the exception, so is his 38 point season. Until proven otherwise throwing dumb one liners like the bold doesn't change anything and is a pitiful argument against Gomez in the first place.

Last I checked Gomez isn't a goal scorer so the fact that people point that out and say he's bad is as laughable as me doing the same for any other player whose role isn't to score goals that is overpaid. It's a pretty immature response to an honest comment on Gomez. That having been said I don't blame you for not liking the Stubbs interview and expecting him to ask better questions but really Gomez had one bad season and everyone is ready to burn the crucifix. All of the sudden tons of illogical aspects come into the equation. Just admit it, you're mad Gomez had a bad season and you're bias against him as a result. We get it, you're a reactionary fan who can't look past one bad season.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Habit11

His PP production last season was consistent with the previous two seasons, but his EV production despite leading the forwards in ES TOI/G had him finish 7th in the group behind notables Halpern and Pouliot. If he can avoid the slow start from last season (7pts in the 1st 24 games), which is probably why he started training a week after they got eliminated, the depth on the wings alone should help him reach the 60 point mark. IMHO, I'd line him up between Cammalleri/Gionta to start the season, giving him the two best goal scorers on the team with the intention of getting him off to good a start. Hopefully, he also shoots the puck more this season, way too low last season. You don't have to be a sniper to score 10+ goals, Mathieu Darche is proof of that.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Just because Gomez is a professional athlete and he's hard on himself doesn't negate or discredit proven stats that show his line mates shooting percentages being terrible at the start of the season. Gionta was in a rut and Moen, Darche, etc are low % shooting guys in the first place.

The mere fact that people try to argue against this is what is silly. Look I'm not saying Gomez played his best but there were numerous times early on where I saw Gio miss golden opportunities supplied to him by Gomez. Did Gomez lose confidence after that and have a hard time playing with a guy who has a less than 5% shooting percentage most of the time? Yes he did. Was this Gomez fault? Of course some of the fault is his own but there are reasons backed by stats and just because some posters are so blinded by their anti-Gomez bias that they can't accept cold hard facts doesn't change the fact that they exist.

Gomez might have still had a bad season of 45-48 points had Pacioretty and Gionta been on his line all year, but not 38 points. Again I'm not saying it isn't Gomez fault of course he has to take the blame for a lot of it but you can't just pretend facts and stats don't exist based on your personal bias against the guy. And just because like most adults and pro athletes he blames himself for his own lack of production and doesn't throw Gionta under the bus for missing wide open nets or Moen for not being a top six player... or even JM or PG for not addressing this clear as day problem having a 4th liner on the 2nd line... it doesn't all of the sudden make the stats no longer exist.

I know some of you guys hate Gomez but get a grip. Trying to deny that stats are stats and relevant to the equation just because Gomez came out and took responsibility? That's absolutely ridiculous. Just because Scott is hard on himself doesn't change the fact that I have eyes, watched every game this season and know how Gomez played with my very own eyes. Could he have been better? Sure, the guy lost all confidence and started playing pretty bad but you can't just pretend that the Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta line where he was pretty much putting up PPG for that period all of the sudden never happened versus the dead zone of Moen-Gomez-Gionta/Kostitsyn.

Not trying to be mean but I find it quite ridiculous how much people allow their Gomez hate to cloud their judgment of an honest situation. It isn't all Gomez fault like you make it out to be and no amount of Gomez being a man or you pretending stats don't exist will change that.

Exactly! I guess I'm not the only one who finds this comment laughable and filled with bias. If you hate Gomez fine, cite his stats or salary like the next guy, but don't make something out of nothing. What was he supposed to say "I did work hard last year and that was the best I could do?" or "It was the coaching!"? Come on now. One of the main reasons they got Gomez is because he's a team guy and a professional. He isn't going to sink to the point of blaming anyone but himself. In Scott's mind he is capable of carrying a line and he's disappointed in himself. I think judging from the article we can all see that. Problem is he can't carry a line he needs proper support and the athlete inside of him isn't going to swallow that pill easy. He blames himself because he's a proud athlete like many and an adult not a baby.
I don't hate Gomez, I hate his performance. Flinging stats like confetti can't possibly rationalize a 38-point season for a 2nd-line center who plays on the PP. It's like saying that a puddle of phlegm from a tubercular cow on rue Ste.-Cathérine's is a common nuisance that pedestrians can walk around.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Wrong. I'd say 95%

And I'm part of that % that feels the same way. He had a bad year we need to move on and wish him the best this year and hope our team plays well. That is reliant on him playing well too.

When Gomez first came here I wanted to get a Gomez jersey as my first stitched jersey. Never ended up getting one but if he has a come back this year I think I might
Count me in the % that believe Gomez will again be a force to contend with for Habs opponents.His defensive play can only get better as he plays with better linemates regularly.This will result in higher offensive numbers this season,more like the days in New Jersey.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Count me in the % that believe Gomez will again be a force to contend with for Habs opponents.His defensive play can only get better as he plays with better linemates regularly.This will result in higher offensive numbers this season,more like the days in New Jersey.
He's gotten older and it's been a few years since he was coached by Jacques Lemaire.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
OneSharpMarble

I would like to start taking bets on how long before we start hearing "It's ok if he sucks in the regular season, he picks it up in the playoffs!"

Him giving some generic response that every athlete spits out is of no consolation.

This guy is like a faster kovalev with no hands.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Halifaxhab

It's ok if he sucks in the regular season, he picks it up in the playoffs!

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote