HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luke Schenn signs multi-year contract

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 05:10 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I thought it was Lidstrom/Weber first team and Chara/Visnovsky second team.
I mean he played in the All Star Game.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:10 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
All-star, not All-star team.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:11 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Oh, that poster meant the All Star game, not the first/second team all stars.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:11 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
All-star, not All-star team.
So now we can now say Kessel is an All-Star.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Yes, you can.

People are stupid if they don't consider Kessel a star player, given his age.

Old
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
Alright Burkey, pay him $5m...

Or rant about how he's a steal when he gets $3m, which is all he's worth.

Or put up a Schenn vs. Staal poll.
Ok ok ok, we get it. You hate the leafs. Carry on now, go find something better to do. I'm sure you have a few websites you like to visit.

Old
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
You can say Komisarek is, too

Old
09-14-2011, 05:14 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
sometimes I guess it isn't the best proxy...

Old
09-14-2011, 05:15 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
As I said, this is my perception from the games I've watched. I didn't say he goes open ice hits, I said he goes for hits in general. Maybe I'm just comparing him to Staal too much, but there are just many times when I see him being unnecessarily physical. There's few times when Staal goes to the boards to fight for the puck and doesn't retrieve it.

I know Schenn is known for his physicality, but I think if he tones it down a bit, it'll make him a better defenseman in the long run. Schenn and Staal play somewhat similar games, but I see Staal as much more polished. He turns the puck over less, is a bit less physical (not necessarily good), but most importantly does all of the above against much better opposition than Schenn sees. He's also a slightly better skater, but that's slightly less important considering their styles of play.
Schenn makes his bacon, so to speak, off of that physicality. Perhaps he needs to tone it down a bit, but part of what makes him so successful is his ability to dominate along the boards in his own zone like few other defensemen in the league. That little bit of fear of going into the corners when Schenn is on the ice can go a long way against opposing forwards.

I'm not saying Schenn and Staal are identical, because they aren't. I'm also not saying that Schenn is a better player than Staal, because he isn't. All I have been getting at is that the two are pretty comparable in what they bring to their teams, and that it wouldn't be a "fail" as a poster said, to see them both signed to similar structured contracts.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:18 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Schenn makes his bacon, so to speak, off of that physicality. Perhaps he needs to tone it down a bit, but part of what makes him so successful is his ability to dominate along the boards in his own zone like few other defensemen in the league. That little bit of fear of going into the corners when Schenn is on the ice can go a long way against opposing forwards.

I'm not saying Schenn and Staal are identical, because they aren't. I'm also not saying that Schenn is a better player than Staal, because he isn't. All I have been getting at is that the two are pretty comparable in what they bring to their teams, and that it wouldn't be a "fail" as a poster said, to see them both signed to similar structured contracts.
Fair enough. Staal's contract buys out one year of UFA, as well, so that should be taken into account when discussing years/caphit for Schenn.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Schenn is a stud. He is already a rock in his own zone. He very well could end up being one of the top stay at home dmen in the league if he lives up to his potential. Good for the leafs locking this guy up. I'm quite interested to see the terms...

Old
09-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Staal is counted on to shutdown players like Ovechkin and Crosby. Schenn isn't.

Frankly, at this point Aulie is better defensively than Schenn, as he is more polished. I don't know what the final product of Schenn will be, but he needs to realize that going for the big hit isn't always a good idea. It's why his giveaway v. takeaway stats are so atrocious.

Edit: Not that Aulie's stats are much better, but he's only had half a season so far. Schenn's had 3.
actually, schenn IS counted on to shutdown players like crosby and ovechkin. i know you said you watch about 10 games a year but i don't think you're getting a very clear picture from that sample size. schenn is very comparable to staal defensively. schenn actually has great acceleration for his size and his skating has improved light years from when he first broke into the league.

i don't know if it's just me, but i don't see this tendency to go for big hits you speak of. sure schenn loves to lay the body, it reflects in his stats, but he's fairly effecient with his body checks and knows when not to do it. he's also very efficent on the boards, often using body positioning to win battles. overall i just don't think that's a very fair assessment of luke schenn. he's certainly better than aulie at this point, regardless of giveaway/takeaway stats.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Anything under $3.5 is fair since his comparable to Staal but not quite yet. Anything over $3.5 then leafs brass screwed up by overpaying schenn, UNLESS it's for 5+ years.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Who the hell is *************** and why the hell are people quoting him as a legit source?

Old
09-14-2011, 05:41 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
You can say Komisarek WAS.

With an asterix. Silly Habs fans voting.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Hope this is true. Although Bob's hockey sources don't seem to be as legit as his football sources.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

What the hell are people talking about Schenn "going for the big hit"? Hit did that in his first two years (where he crushed anyone and everyone), but last year reeled it in bigtime and the majority of his huge hits were when he was battling in the corner and would just toss people like ragdolls while he was stationary.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut 83 View Post
actually, schenn IS counted on to shutdown players like crosby and ovechkin. i know you said you watch about 10 games a year but i don't think you're getting a very clear picture from that sample size. schenn is very comparable to staal defensively. schenn actually has great acceleration for his size and his skating has improved light years from when he first broke into the league.

i don't know if it's just me, but i don't see this tendency to go for big hits you speak of. sure schenn loves to lay the body, it reflects in his stats, but he's fairly effecient with his body checks and knows when not to do it. he's also very efficent on the boards, often using body positioning to win battles. overall i just don't think that's a very fair assessment of luke schenn. he's certainly better than aulie at this point, regardless of giveaway/takeaway stats.
I wasn't using giveaway/takeaway stats to show Aulie is better. If anything, they show Aulie is worse. Regardless, its a moot point. From what I saw and the stats I'm seeing now, Schenn played on the second pairing against lesser opposition. If I'm wrong, correct me.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

You have to think that Bogosian's signing means that Schenn should be close to 3 million / year. He is the better of the two.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
I wasn't using giveaway/takeaway stats to show Aulie is better. If anything, they show Aulie is worse. Regardless, its a moot point. From what I saw and the stats I'm seeing now, Schenn played on the second pairing against lesser opposition. If I'm wrong, correct me.
i thought i already had.

if you watch leafs games on a regular basis you would know that playing on the second pairing doesn't mean he won't see opposing teams first lines. schenn only plays on he second pairing because phaneuf plays the same side.

from what i've seen at games, (in person, not on TV where you don't get the full picture) the leafs tend to roll all their pairings/lines and don't play the match up game as much as other teams around the league. they only tend to keep the 4th line and bottom pair away from opposing teams top line.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Pi

Well that Bruins fan was probably hating on Schenn because of this.

I'd say Luke/Staal are as comparable as it gets. Staal probably tops out as a 35-40 pt defensive d man, Luke probably tops out at 30 or 35 in his best seasons.

So I wouldn't say he'd be overpaid if he got a Marc Staal contract.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Why would Marc Staal money be a fail?

Staal signed his $4M (little less) contract after an 8 goal 27 point season playing great defense.

Luke Schenn just completed a 5 goal 22 point season playing great defense.

They are very comparable players, I don't see how it would be a bad thing if their contracts were similar.
Look I'm a fan of Schenn and respect him but he's not as good as Marc Staal plain and simple.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
DRWCountryClub

Ericcson for the Wings got 3.75...

In that case, Schenn's worth about 5.5

Old
09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Look I'm a fan of Schenn and respect him but he's not as good as Marc Staal plain and simple.
Staal is also 3 years older ...

Schenn is better than Staal was 3 years ago ...

Schenn will prove A LOT of people wrong ... this kid is already a solid dman, top 3 on almost every team ...

LUKE SCHENN IS ONLY 21 he has LOTS of time to improve ...

Old
09-14-2011, 06:21 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Staal is also 3 years older ...

Schenn is better than Staal was 3 years ago ...

Schenn will prove A LOT of people wrong ... this kid is already a solid dman, top 3 on almost every team ...

LUKE SCHENN IS ONLY 21 he has LOTS of time to improve ...
so then come back in 3 years, but for now MS>>LS

Closed Thread