HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luke Schenn signs multi-year contract

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM
TML4eva*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
so then come back in 3 years, but for now MS>>LS
There not much gap between Marc Staal and Luke Schenn than you would think

Old
09-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Land View Post
There not much gap between Marc Staal and Luke Schenn than you would think
I'd say there is. Especially with potential involved.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:54 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
You really missed my point there.

Schenn is also a difference maker every shift. Great play in his own zone, one of the best physical threats along the boards in the league, great break out pass.

He and Staal are very comparable. Split hairs all you want about who is better defensively (I'd say Staal right now), but the difference between them is not much.
Schenn <> Staal

Only in Toronto do people think otherwise.

Here's a stat you've overlooked. PO GP Staal 17, G2, A2, +1, Pts4, Schenn PO GP ZERO. Kind of says a whole lot.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Schenn <> Staal

Here's a stat you've overlooked. PO GP Staal 17, G2, A2, +1, Pts4, Schenn PO GP ZERO. Kind of says a whole lot.
it says a whole lot about there teams

Old
09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Look I'm a fan of Schenn and respect him but he's not as good as Marc Staal plain and simple.
And at what point did I say he was as good as Staal?

In fact, I went out of my way multiple times to state how Staal is the better player. What I did say is that the two are very comparable.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:58 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Staal is counted on to shutdown players like Ovechkin and Crosby. Schenn isn't.

Frankly, at this point Aulie is better defensively than Schenn, as he is more polished. I don't know what the final product of Schenn will be, but he needs to realize that going for the big hit isn't always a good idea. It's why his giveaway v. takeaway stats are so atrocious.

Edit: Not that Aulie's stats are much better, but he's only had half a season so far. Schenn's had 3.
What are you talking about? Schenn is leagues better than aulie.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:59 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Schenn <> Staal

Yeah, shame on Schenn for not participating in any playoff games, especially when his team has qualified numerous times during his career.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Schenn <> Staal

I always hate the playoff experience excuse against players b/c essential thats a team downfall not an individual players.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Don't think you can enter a Luke Schenn discussion without that bruins video being posted. Just saying

Old
09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Biggiemac95*

If i had to choose between Schenn and Staal, i'd pick Staal.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
pjfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
You evaluate defensemen with offensive stats?

Watch a few Rangers games, Staal is a difference maker every shift.
Fan of both teams and watch plenty of games of both teams. I think Schenn is the better defensive player. Better a hitting and blocking shots. Staal better at offense. Both are/will be very good dmen. Neither are elite...salaries should be in the same ballpark.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:03 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Don't think you can enter a Luke Schenn discussion without that bruins video being posted. Just saying
I've really begun to hate that clip. He's done that kind of rush just one time in his career.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:07 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

I guess if bogo is worth 2.5 then at least 3.5 for schenn. Much more than I thought he'd sign for at the end if the year.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Schenn <> Staal

Marc Staal> Enstrom then?

Old
09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Look I'm a fan of Schenn and respect him but he's not as good as Marc Staal plain and simple.
Ya he isn't but he is a COMPARABLE. They don't have to be equal for them to be comparable. Just like Tavares contract is comparable to Toews, even though Toews is much better.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
so then come back in 3 years, but for now MS>>LS
fair enough ...

Old
09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
All but one of the stats you listed there are incorrect. Also, let me be the latest in a long line of people to comment on the utter stupidity of that argument.

Quote:
Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ps, Mike Komisarek has more playoff games under his belt than Marc Staal. Tradesies?

Last edited by arrbez: 09-14-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old
09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I'd say around $3.5 would be a good deal. Much more and I'd not like it so much.

Oh, so sorry for interrupting your Staal vs. Schenn debate. Continue on.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
I'd say around $3.5 would be a good deal. Much more and I'd not like it so much.

Oh, so sorry for interrupting your Staal vs. Schenn debate. Continue on.
lol, did Schenn not have a crappy yr 2 yrs back? Staal is more consistent and a top shut down Dman and Al Star

Old
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
lol, did Schenn not have a crappy yr 2 yrs back? Staal is more consistent and a top shut down Dman and Al Star
He didn't have a "crappy year". He stumbled a bit in the first half, but picked it up and played very well in the second half. He was also only 20, and had a better season than Staal did at that age.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
I'd say there is. Especially with potential involved.
I agree, Marc Staal has just been getting better and better every year since his rookie season. Schenn isn't on his level yet.

Schenn matches up against 2nd/3rd liners while leading the league in giveaways and not generating enough offense to warrant his protection in the lineup. Phaneuf constantly matches up against other top lines in a shutdown role, if there is a comparable to Staal, Phaneuf would be closer. Marc Staal was the go to guy on a top 5 defensive team, Schenn was the #2 guy at best on a poor defensive club.

All I can say is if Schenn gets anything over 4 mil, Marc Staal is underpaid and on a steal contract.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Schenn <> Staal

Kinda does say a whole lot. 4 points in 17 games You're right Schenn could never match that. Staal is by far the superior player.

Go troll somewhere else.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:19 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Its become the video that shows up in each thread to show his offensive potential... "remember that one time he scored a goal?"

Old
09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I agree, Marc Staal has just been getting better and better every year since his rookie season. Schenn isn't on his level yet.

Schenn matches up against 2nd/3rd liners while leading the league in giveaways and not generating enough offense to warrant his protection in the lineup. Phaneuf constantly matches up against other top lines in a shutdown role, if there is a comparable to Staal, Phaneuf would be closer. Marc Staal was the go to guy on a top 5 defensive team, Schenn was the #2 guy at best on a poor defensive club.
Yes, Phanuef does match up against the top lines nightly but its not to PROTECT Luke lol. Come on, thats an insane word to use. You protect Marc Andre Bergeron, you don't protect Schenn. Schenn goes up against the top lines nightly as well, on the PK, where he led this team. A guy who leads the team in PK time isn't being protected.

Phanuef is not comparable to Staal at all. Phanuef is an offensive D man and Staal is more of a defensive D man. Just because they both match up against top lines for their respective teams doesn't mean they are comparable. Schenn is a very close comparison to Staal. No, he is not better than Staal but he is comparable.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

All I can say is if Schenn gets anything over 4 mil, Marc Staal is underpaid and on a steal contract.
Not generating enough offense? Mark Staal had 29 points compared with Schenn's 22. Staal played 25.44 minutes a night with 2:38 on the PP. Schenn played 22:22 a night with only :59 seconds on the PP.

So with that difference in icetime Staal is the better offensive player? Schenn is also almost three full years younger. Staal is 24 -- Schenn 21.

Three years ago Stall was putting up seasons of 10 and 15 points.

Let's also leave out the fact Schenn led ALL defenceman in hits with 251 -- 111 MORE than Staal while being almost 3 years younger. Blocked shots? Schenn -- 168 -- Staal -- 109.

All this playing 3 minutes less a night.

But yes Staal does have 4 points in 17 playoff games. Schenn could never match that.

Thanks -- we'll keep Schenn -- and when he's 24

Closed Thread