Notices

Traverse city roster revealed.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:03 AM
montyminny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Ya, I hope to get Dan's extended thoughts on Cuma and to a lesser extent, Genoway, at some point after the tourny. Would be nice if either could show something and then build on it in Houston.
Okay, decided to go over to Traverse City this weekend and see what our prospects look like. For all of you that are hoping Tyler Cuma and Chay Genoway are the answer on defense, you might look into buying tickets for the Houston Aeros because these 2 paired together are totally high risk, high reward. More emphasis should be on the high risk part though. Of the 8 goals scored against in the first 2 games, these 2 were on the ice for 6 of them (this includes the empty netter on Saturday so if that is taken off the stat sheet, then 5 of 7). And…unlike the comments after the game, I did not really see them being matched against the other teams top lines – instead it seemed more like the top line of Buffalo and Detroit were able to do more against these 2 than the other Wild D pairings.

As I watched Zach Phillips I don’t really get what the concern is about the kid’s skating technique. The kid is flat out legit and will be fine. He gets it done. Not sure if he has to go back to Juniors age wise if he doesn’t make the big club but it would be a shame for him to waste a year playing juniors again.

The hardest working line was 80, 81 and 82 or 83 depending on the game. Sandlak, Kramer, Peters and Willick – all four of these kids should be in Houston to start the year at least. All are energy guys that work hard and get their fair share of shots on net. Tyler Graovac jumped out at me, don’t know much about the kid but he impressed me with his speed.

Matt Hacket is flat out the real deal. This is a good problem for the organization as his quickness, glove hand are clearly superior to the other goalies I watched from other organizations. I could see him and Harding being long term fixtures on the Wild once Backstrom’s contract expires.

montyminny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Thanks for your impressions of the games!

I'm sure everyone appreciates it. Do you plan on seeing any more of the team or was it just a weekend trip?

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:15 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

From practice this morning:

Dan's recap

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:45 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyminny View Post
Okay, decided to go over to Traverse City this weekend and see what our prospects look like. For all of you that are hoping Tyler Cuma and Chay Genoway are the answer on defense, you might look into buying tickets for the Houston Aeros because these 2 paired together are totally high risk, high reward. More emphasis should be on the high risk part though. Of the 8 goals scored against in the first 2 games, these 2 were on the ice for 6 of them (this includes the empty netter on Saturday so if that is taken off the stat sheet, then 5 of 7). And…unlike the comments after the game, I did not really see them being matched against the other teams top lines – instead it seemed more like the top line of Buffalo and Detroit were able to do more against these 2 than the other Wild D pairings.

As I watched Zach Phillips I don’t really get what the concern is about the kid’s skating technique. The kid is flat out legit and will be fine. He gets it done. Not sure if he has to go back to Juniors age wise if he doesn’t make the big club but it would be a shame for him to waste a year playing juniors again.The hardest working line was 80, 81 and 82 or 83 depending on the game. Sandlak, Kramer, Peters and Willick – all four of these kids should be in Houston to start the year at least. All are energy guys that work hard and get their fair share of shots on net. Tyler Graovac jumped out at me, don’t know much about the kid but he impressed me with his speed.

Matt Hacket is flat out the real deal. This is a good problem for the organization as his quickness, glove hand are clearly superior to the other goalies I watched from other organizations. I could see him and Harding being long term fixtures on the Wild once Backstrom’s contract expires.
All of the kids you mention that I have hilited cannot go to Houston......it is back to junior or the NHL....no in between

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd like to see Phillips whup it up in juniors without Huberdeau.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:54 PM
forthewild

its stupid that Zach can't go to AHL yet, however it will be good for him to go back and lead a team, tho i have this hunch that Zach will get 9 games with the Wild this year.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:28 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Sounds like a meh start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust
Lots of hitting to start, then MN got sloppy with breakouts. Not a puck possession edition of #mnwild this year...1-0 jackets after 1.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:12 PM
leoleo3535

2-1 bad guys after 2.

Martin scores for the Wild setup by Dylan Willick and Kris Fredheim.

3rd has just started.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:21 PM
montyminny

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Thanks for your impressions of the games!

I'm sure everyone appreciates it. Do you plan on seeing any more of the team or was it just a weekend trip?
Just a weekend trip to visit family. Had to go back to work on Monday. My next view of the team will be this weekend at the open scrimmages/practices.

montyminny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyminny View Post
Just a weekend trip to visit family. Had to go back to work on Monday. My next view of the team will be this weekend at the open scrimmages/practices.

The defense looked good last night after the pairings were changed at 1st Intermission. That's probably what you wanted to know...

Last Night's Recap

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
leoleo3535

an opinion on 1 of the kids playing for the Wild as an invitee- Willick

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey-wp1610

Old
09-14-2011, 05:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

We're #5! Minnesota beats Dallas 4-1 and more importantly Darcy Kuemper only had to face 18 shots.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Always feels good when Minnesota beat Dallas.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Would be interested in hearing what the D pairings were for today.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Would be interested in hearing what the D pairings were for today.
From Dan's coverage:

Quote:
Chay Genoway-Kyle Medvec
Sam Lofquist-Colton Jobke
Dylan Busenius-Kris Fredheim

Old
09-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Caior89

Nice to see a lot of effort, especially from the no tryout guys.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote