HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of Ontario Rookie Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2011, 09:32 AM
  #476
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
The Leafers impressed me tonight. Frattin, McKegg, Gardiner and Owuya were very good.

It's too bad some people can't appreciate a good game. If anything, it's great that both teams have some solid building blocks to revive the battle of Ontario.

I didn't think the Sens played that well tonight, maybe some of them had their minds on training camp? Regardless, here's hoping we meet in the playoffs in the near future! Good luck this season.
Agreed...you can see the Sens have some really good prospects now. All the Swedish guys look like they will be a big part of there future. Didnt see much from Puempel or Noesen, but they are still very young.

Oppostion players who impressed me the most were Lehner, Zibanejad and Saad.
Only a small sample size of games, but a few teams my regret not taking Saad in the first round.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:36 AM
  #477
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
The 2nd goal was on him, but it wasn't as blantant of a defensive error as it seemed. He got his stick lifted / hooked as he was making the pass back around the net, which resulted in the turnover.

Can't rightly blame him on the OT goal, though. His man was the guy on the far side winding up for a one-timer. As soon as he saw Stone walk around Frattin like he wasn't even there, he opted to take away the passing lane, and hope the traffic in front of the net or Owuya would stop the puck. The fact that Olden was floating, getting ready for a breakout pass didn't help things either.

Either way, I'm pleased with what I've seen from him this tourney. Have to keep in mind that he only started playing defense 3 years ago, so his defensive game will improve with some AHL seasoning.

Thought Gardiner could have done better job protecting the puck with that goal, but he was responsible for the game going into overtime. Ottawa player had an emtpy net, Gardiner was able to prevent the goal due to his speed, then made a great outlet pass to start the rush that led to McKegg tying it up.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:49 AM
  #478
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Agreed...you can see the Sens have some really good prospects now. All the Swedish guys look like they will be a big part of there future. Didnt see much from Puempel or Noesen, but they are still very young.

Oppostion players who impressed me the most were Lehner, Zibanejad and Saad.
Only a small sample size of games, but a few teams my regret not taking Saad in the first round.
Biggs couldn't attend, so hard to judge whether Saad was the better choice.

I'm hoping Biggs helps me forget about Wilson

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:34 AM
  #479
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I have to say, it's disappointing to see Leafs fans go to this one. I'm all for honest hockey talk, but this sort of stuff shows a complete lack of understanding WHY Alfie gets booed at home when the Leafs visit, and more importantly, it takes for granted the rich and LONG history the Toronto Maple Leafs have in this country.

The Maple Leafs fanbase has been built for generations upon generations, for almost a hundred years. Comments like this IMO are a slap in the face of the history of the LEAFS, not at Sens fans. You guys should be PROUD to have so many fans across the country that you can fill half of any arena that's not your own. When I lived in Vancouver, it was not uncommon to see 6000-1000 Leafs fans in the stands when Toronto was in town. It happens at any arena across the country, and it's compounded in Ottawa because of how close and easily travel-able the two cities are.

I don't know man. Statements like that one... seems disrespectful to the decades and decades of fans who helped build what clearly is the largest fanbase in the country (and it's not even close).
As a Leafs fan, I want to say thanks for these comments. I agree.

Good to see a Sens fan come over and give us some insight into your prospects. Helps us look forward to hating them in the future .

Honestly I really hope some day soon the Leafs and the Sens are tops of the East so we can see some truly epic battles in the playoffs once again. I miss the rivalry.



Also, on topic, I'm really excited to see what some of these prospects can do for the Leafs. Frattin looks like a tank with speed and a rocket shot. Olden is still very raw but you can see the talent there. Blacker and Gardiner can become good Top 4 NHLers with offense from what I've seen.

Wasn't the biggest knock on McKegg his skating? From what we've seen this year, I'd say he's improved on that leaps and bounds.

Lastly, I'd also like to say that I've been impressed with the development of Kenny Ryan and Jamie Devane. I disliked the Devane pick at the time but he's growing on me and could become an enforcer with legit hockey skills. Ryan will likely never been anything more than a 3rd/4th liner, but I think he can be a darn good one at that. His defensive play seems to be stellar already.

I really like the footspeed that these prospects seem to have. Olden, Frattin, Blacker and Gardiner can all skate like the wind.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
  #480
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 61,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That was the best rookie tournament team I have seen yet, more than a hndful of AHL games on defence especially would have helped.

Like the way that McKegg, Nicholls, Carrick, Ryan, and Blacker have improved very noticeably since last year's tournament. Olden played well and Crescenzi was better this year but needs to fill out some.
Agree, it was the best tournament yet, entertaining to watch based on skill and speed portrayed.

Fast paced high speed, end to end action and most importantly filled mostly with Leaf selections and prospects.

The players you mentioned games certainly are more rounded and improved.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:57 AM
  #481
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling
 
Morguee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,163
vCash: 500


Did either of these guys play after this...I didn't notice.

Morguee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:14 AM
  #482
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post


Did either of these guys play after this...I didn't notice.
The Senator did but Devane didn't. Devane took a good shot to the head so they may have kept him out to be safe.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
  #483
kilgro
Thank you Burke!
 
kilgro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
^^ yea what mooseoak said. however just reading through the thread here and a guy who was at game posted that devane skated briefly before start of third but was favoring ankle/knee, so maybe he fell awkwardly when both guys went down. but yea they tuned eachother up

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:39 AM
  #484
Sterling31
YNWA
 
Sterling31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
The Senator did but Devane didn't. Devane took a good shot to the head so they may have kept him out to be safe.
Devane came back and played.

He sat out for quite a bit, but returned. Im not sure how many shifts he actually took. But he definitely saw the ice after the fight.


EDIT: didnt see the above post.
Was there as well and saw him on the bench in the 3rd...

Sterling31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:41 AM
  #485
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,481
vCash: 500
I thought Devane had a pretty good tourney. He's got legit toughness, surprisingly decent hands and was used a bit as a PKer.

Devane's not going to be a star but he's probably got as much chance of an NHL career as anybody else on that roster.

Nobody ever gives him any credit but there's a good chance he has an NHL career ahead of him.

Leaf Army is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
  #486
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Sens fans should be excited about their prospects, they were exciting to watch and I have to say, I'm surprised our boys hung in there so tough, especially with Lehner in net for the Sens (who I believe is the Sens best and most experienced goalie prospect). I didn't catch the first period but the second and third periods definitely lived up to the hype of these two teams facing off and it was really a great way to cap off the last game in the tournament between two teams that were fighting to keep their undefeated record intact. Gardiner was a bit lazy on that play that led to the OT goal. It seemed he was tricked by the fake deke, however, had he not made a full 360 turn, while Stone took the shot, he would have been in a position to at least use his stick in an attempt to deflect. It didn't help that the other Leafs player was in front of our goalie facing him so he didn't even see the play in time to try and block the lane. Even with Gardiner's little brain fair, he was also responsible for starting the play that allowed the Leafs to tie it with less than a minute left on the clock. I loved the Gardiner/Lupul trade when it happened and after seeing the guy play, it only makes me more amped to see him develop a bit and come up to the big team. It was pretty damn exciting game to watch and while we may not have a ton of top 5 draft picks in there, they played some exciting hockey. Our guys weren't afraid to use their bodies and I think that played a huge factor in keeping the games within reach throughout the entire game. Nice to see Frattin and McKegg get on the scoreboard and like I mentioned before, Gardiner had a beauty set up that led to the tying goal. If he weren't such a great skater, there's no way that the Sens player would have fallen in an effort to get the empty netter and we would've easily lost that game 4-2 in regulation without Gardiner making that clutch play.


Last edited by Ari91: 09-14-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:55 PM
  #487
shaner89
Registered User
 
shaner89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 14,556
vCash: 500
Devanes going to have tests done on is knee today. Source: His sister

shaner89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
  #488
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
devane skated briefly before start of third but was favoring ankle/knee, so maybe he fell awkwardly when both guys went down.
I don't think it was from the fight.

Devane blocked a shot with his leg immediately before the fight. He was sliding on all fours and was slow to get up before the fight even started.

Leaf Army is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
  #489
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
That was completely consistent with mooseoak. He's always a very strong advocate of Leafs' prospects.
I was just joking on moose, he's always the sarcastic man, he's who is but I agree with him hundred percent. This year the prospects really impressed with the mix of skill and grit and i think a lot of the critics were surprised that we brought both this time around.

With more experience, we are heading into the season with a good pool and hopefully will increase that with trades or more signings.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
  #490
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Sens fans should be excited about their prospects, they were exciting to watch and I have to say, I'm surprised our boys hung in there so tough, especially with Lehner in net for the Sens (who I believe is the Sens best and most experienced goalie prospect). I didn't catch the first period but the second and third periods definitely lived up to the hype of these two teams facing off and it was really a great way to cap off the last game in the tournament between two teams that were fighting to keep their undefeated record intact. Gardiner was a bit lazy on that play that led to the OT goal. It seemed he was tricked by the fake deke, however, had he not made a full 360 turn, while Stone took the shot, he would have been in a position to at least use his stick in an attempt to deflect. It didn't help that the other Leafs player was in front of our goalie facing him so he didn't even see the play in time to try and block the lane. Even with Gardiner's little brain fair, he was also responsible for starting the play that allowed the Leafs to tie it with less than a minute left on the clock. I loved the Gardiner/Lupul trade when it happened and after seeing the guy play, it only makes me more amped to see him develop a bit and come up to the big team. It was pretty damn exciting game to watch and while we may not have a ton of top 5 draft picks in there, they played some exciting hockey. Our guys weren't afraid to use their bodies and I think that played a huge factor in keeping the games within reach throughout the entire game. Nice to see Frattin and McKegg get on the scoreboard and like I mentioned before, Gardiner had a beauty set up that led to the tying goal. If he weren't such a great skater, there's no way that the Sens player would have fallen in an effort to get the empty netter and we would've easily lost that game 4-2 in regulation without Gardiner making that clutch play.
I agree, Lehner is very likely the best goalie in their system. When you consider how the Leafs net depth puts Owuya at about 6th down the chain, the Leafs' depth sure did help them come away with a very close loss.


Last edited by NikolaiTesla*: 09-14-2011 at 06:44 PM.
NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:15 PM
  #491
Thrillingbroom
Registered User
 
Thrillingbroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiTesla View Post
I agree, Lehner is very likely the best goalie in their system. When you consider how the Leafs net depth puts Owuya at about 6th down the chain, the Leafs' depth sure did help them come away with a very close loss.
He's the only goalie in their system besides Auld and Anderson.

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:16 PM
  #492
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,391
vCash: 500
I think Lehner will be the game changer just for the fact that he shutout the leafs in the preseason last year. Leafs basicly had the main roster out there except for one or two guys

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
  #493
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogosian4 View Post
I think Lehner will be the game changer just for the fact that he shutout the leafs in the preseason last year. Leafs basicly had the main roster out there except for one or two guys
the games done .... fail

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:21 PM
  #494
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogosian4 View Post
I think Lehner will be the game changer just for the fact that he shutout the leafs in the preseason last year. Leafs basicly had the main roster out there except for one or two guys
And this year against none of the Leafs he let in 3.

Already figured out.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
  #495
anderson3133
Registered User
 
anderson3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogosian4 View Post
I think Lehner will be the game changer just for the fact that he shutout the leafs in the preseason last year. Leafs basicly had the main roster out there except for one or two guys
Lol.

According to the boxscore we had Jerry D'Amigo, Simon Gysbers, Ryan Hamilton, Christian Hanson, Brayden Irwin, Marcel Mueller, Nazem Kadri, and Brett Lebda played 20 minutes that night.

Not to mention the players who weren't dressed: Kessel, Grabovski, Kulemin, MacArthur, Schenn, Beauchemin, Bozak, and Aulie.

Certainly looks like your point was a complete lie

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:45 PM
  #496
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,279
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogosian4 View Post
I think Lehner will be the game changer just for the fact that he shutout the leafs in the preseason last year. Leafs basicly had the main roster out there except for one or two guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Lol.

According to the boxscore we had Jerry D'Amigo, Simon Gysbers, Ryan Hamilton, Christian Hanson, Brayden Irwin, Marcel Mueller, Nazem Kadri, and Brett Lebda played 20 minutes that night.

Not to mention the players who weren't dressed: Kessel, Grabovski, Kulemin, MacArthur, Schenn, Beauchemin, Bozak, and Aulie.

Certainly looks like your point was a complete lie

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.