HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Lander and RNH made the team.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:07 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
If Lander and RNH made the team.

Yeah, I'm not expecting this to happen. But this is a run-off from a recent TSN story. Let's see your lines up front if both of these guys make the team.

Hall-RNH-Eberle <<<-- Makes sense since RNH was drafted to center Hall.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky <<<-- Bringing the classic line back together

MPS-Lander-Gagner <<<-- Gagner moves to the wing to make room for the Swedish connection. Lander and MPS should be able to provide tons of offensive upside to justify this being a checking line... while all three of these guys have enough offense in them to also have this line resembling a scoring line. Lander should be better than Gagner on face-offs, so MPS should end up registering most shots per minute.

Eager-Belanger-Jones <<<-- Had to toss them in somewhere.

Hordichuck and Brule fight for the 7th roster spot, while poor Omark gets sent back down to the minors. In the end someone gets waived or traded.

If Hemsky goes down to injury an all Swedish line of MPS-Lander-Omark becomes a reality, while Gagner once again gets top 6 minutes.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:18 PM
oilerfan1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Yeah, I'm not expecting this to happen. But this is a run-off from a recent TSN story. Let's see your lines up front if both of these guys make the team.

MPS-Lander-Gagner <<<-- Gagner moves to the wing to make room for the Swedish connection. Lander and MPS should be able to provide tons of offensive upside to justify this being a checking line... while all three of these guys have enough offense in them to also have this line resembling a scoring line. Lander should be better than Gagner on face-offs, so MPS should end up registering most shots per minute.

Hordichuck and Brule fight for the 7th roster spot, while poor Omark gets sent back down to the minors. In the end someone gets waived or traded.

If Hemsky goes down to injury an all Swedish line of MPS-Lander-Omark becomes a reality, while Gagner once again gets top 6 minutes.
im not sure if lander would slide into the #3 center spot right away. I think he'll have to out play belanger to snake that spot from him.
i also believe that omark should/will be on the team. him and mps had some great chemistry near the end of the year last year.. so i dont think they'd seperate them as of yet..

I like the line up though. Something to look forward to in the near future

oilerfan1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Gagner bashfest in... 3... 2...

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Gagner bashfest in... 3... 2...

don't forger Horcoff as well

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:34 PM
jsho

Horcoff
Gagner
Belanger
Brule

Lander/Hartikainen
RNH

This is how I see our depth currently

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:38 PM
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

for randomness sake;

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall-Belanger-Gagner
Jones-RNH-Eberle
Pajaarvi-Lander-Omark
(Hordichuk, Eager)

Whitney-Sutton
Barker-Gilbert
Peckham-Smid
(Chorney)

BoldMcNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:02 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

I think all signs point to RNH going back to junior unless he really lights it up during the pre-season. Lander has a good chance to make it as a 4th line center.

I think the line-up will look something like this:

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky (hard minutes line)
Hall-Belanger-Eberle
Pajaarvi-Gagner-Omark (soft minutes line)
Eager-Lander-Jones
Hordichuk, Brule

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Asher

Quote:

As a flashy Swedish winger once said, "politics" makes a lot of the decisions for us. Unless Lander turns into Zetterberg overnight he's not making this team. He'll be one of the first players they call up for injuries though. Considering the injury history of this team that means he'll probably play about 50 games.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:50 PM
The Slippery Snake

Quote:

I actually really like these lines. maybe next year though. It would be sad to not give Omark another chance this year though.

The Slippery Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:54 PM
MisterD

I seriously doubt both players make it. IMO Lander has the best chance, because of his ability to play in the bottom 6. RNH should play the year in the dub.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:57 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
As a flashy Swedish winger once said, "politics" makes a lot of the decisions for us. Unless Lander turns into Zetterberg overnight he's not making this team. He'll be one of the first players they call up for injuries though. Considering the injury history of this team that means he'll probably play about 50 games.
I really can't see Omark going down. He played well with MPS down the stretch last year, and it was obvious they had chemistry. He'll be a big part of the PP IMO. I'd also love to see how he'd mesh with Smyth as an experiment.

27 pts in 51 games isn't bad at all for a rookie. -16 isn't that great, but stick him with someone responsible defensively and see what happens.

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I really can't see Omark going down. He played well with MPS down the stretch last year, and it was obvious they had chemistry. He'll be a big part of the PP IMO. I'd also love to see how he'd mesh with Smyth as an experiment.

27 pts in 51 games isn't bad at all for a rookie. -16 isn't that great, but stick him with someone responsible defensively and see what happens.
I do think that Omark will make the team. Lander is the one who'll get cut.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:17 PM
speeds

Even if Lander is good enough to make the team as the 4th line C, it's worth asking if that's the best way to develop the player?

Playing 8-10 min per game in the NHL, maybe a minute per game on the PK, or 20 min a night in the AHL, with 3-4 minutes on both the PP and the PK?

It's a similar argument for Petry.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:20 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
I'd much rather give O'Marra or Brule the #4C spot and let Lander and Vande Velde develop in the AHL until the inevitable injuries happen.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Auguste McEscoffier

Horcoff and Gagner, right now, are our top two centers; Belanger was signed for the third line.

This only leaves the fourth line, and I would like to see Brule in that role. Give him one more chance. If he succeeds, good. Perhaps the Oilers can parlay that into another draft pick/prospect. Allow Lander to develop in a winning environment down in OKC. As for RNH, I too don't envision him making the team, which is not a bad thing at all.

Auguste McEscoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Trufflepig

I honestly dont see either guy making the big team, too many centers as of right now... but, if they did, I'd hope to see

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Hall - Gagner (to be replaced by RNH next year) - Eberle
Paajarvi - Lander - Omark
Belanger - RNH - Jones

Thats a pretty small line up though. These guys would get eaten alive physically.
Omark needs to be on this team, too much skill and smarts to give up on.

Trufflepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

It sucks to thing we almost don't have room for Omark. And don't forget about Harski.

mcjukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Wheatking

Unless Brule bombs in training camp, I just don't see Lander making the team right away...and my gut says Brule is going to have a bounce back year and be an effective 4th liner.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trufflepig View Post
I honestly dont see either guy making the big team, too many centers as of right now... but, if they did, I'd hope to see

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Hall - Gagner (to be replaced by RNH next year) - Eberle
Paajarvi - Lander - Omark
Belanger - RNH - Jones

Thats a pretty small line up though. These guys would get eaten alive physically.
Omark needs to be on this team, too much skill and smarts to give up on.
Are you really convinced that Gagner is a better option at 2C than RNH? What exactly does Gagner do better than RNH? Is he better offensively? Defensively? Faceoffs? Stronger on the puck? Passing? Shooting? Maybe he's a better shooter... maybe. I'm not trying to bash Gagner, I'm just asking the question.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Are you really convinced that Gagner is a better option at 2C than RNH? What exactly does Gagner do better than RNH? Is he better offensively? Defensively? Faceoffs? Stronger on the puck? Passing? Shooting? Maybe he's a better shooter... maybe. I'm not trying to bash Gagner, I'm just asking the question.
If the season starts tomorrow (and its not that far off), then yes to basically all of those things.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
If the season starts tomorrow (and its not that far off), then yes to basically all of those things.
I'm not 100% convinced of that. I have no problem with turning the kid (ie. RNH) loose and seeing what he can do. If 2C is too much for him, then scale his minutes down.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Trufflepig

Quote:
Honestly, I cant speak to RNH's abilities because I've only seen him in the one game against Vancouver. That being said he did not look that overwhelming to me, aside from a couple of nice plays (that steal from the goalie for an easy tap in was sick). I dont doubt he will be better than Gagner, however at the moment he has 3 less seasons of experience than Gagner does. He is physically lighter than Gagner, and frankly I think that Gags has a good season this year. Do I think that this is how the lines would finish at the end of the year? Maybe not, however as a raw rookie I dont think I want to see RNH going head to head with someone like Burns in SJ or Doughty in LA. This is all obviously pre-cursed by the fact that I really don't think he makes the team this year.

Trufflepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Its not about wether he is a better player right now or not. Its about his development and what he can become, what is best for the team! If you want to see what happens when us rabid fans push young guys in holes to give us an adrenaline rush at the start of the season and feed them to the wolves look no further than Gagner!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Vdhawan89
Connor McMagic

I dont like the idea of having RNH on a line without a vet on it.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Bryanbryoil

If Hemsky misses the start of the year maybe we try Gagner on the RW for awhile?

Smyth-Horcoff-Gagner
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Omark-Lander-Paajarvi
Eager-Belanger-Jones