HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Smith makes the Opening Night Roster

Old
09-13-2011, 11:36 PM
adsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I was thinking along those lines. Do you remember how Radulov performed during these Rookie games -- if they had them when he was breaking into the NHL. I recall Rads having a monster year in the QMJHL. And sending him to MIL his first season as a professional, but not keeping him there long at all. Can you compare the two, strengths and weaknesses at this point in each of their careers???
I don't remember his camp, but Rads played 11 games in Milwaukee, scoring 6 goals with 12 assists and 24 PIMs. Those numbers are from Milwaukeehockey.com. I do remember that Rads was the kind of player who made people jump out of their seats!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:59 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I don't remember his camp, but Rads played 11 games in Milwaukee, scoring 6 goals with 12 assists and 24 PIMs. Those numbers are from Milwaukeehockey.com. I do remember that Rads was the kind of player who made people jump out of their seats!
Last year Bam Bam was putting up crazy numbers toward the end of the year in MIL. Like Rads, when injuries hit the Preds had to give Geoffrion a shot. Radulov continued to score consistently with the big boys, Geoffrion (aside from his hat trick) did not. I suppose the lesson here is that scoring at the junior/AHL level may or may not translate to goals in the NHL. Lets hope that Smith produces like Radulov.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:25 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Last year Bam Bam was putting up crazy numbers toward the end of the year in MIL. Like Rads, when injuries hit the Preds had to give Geoffrion a shot. Radulov continued to score consistently with the big boys, Geoffrion (aside from his hat trick) did not. I suppose the lesson here is that scoring at the junior/AHL level may or may not translate to goals in the NHL. Lets hope that Smith produces like Radulov.
I'm not too sure on comparing Smith to Radulov. Radulov was awesome, Smith has a chance to be.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'm not hoping Smith replaces Radulov.

I'm hoping that he supplements him, going forward.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:36 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i'm not hoping Smith replaces Radulov.

I'm hoping that he supplements him, going forward.
Yeah after I wrote that I thought about how awesome it would be to have something like

Radulov-Smith-Kostitsyn

Old
09-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Let's not get ahead of ourselves guys. He has played two games against rookies. Granted, really ****ing impressive games but let's not anoint him as the chosen one yet. I wanna see how he does in the preseason first.

I suspect he will have a couple of games in Nashville before being sent down to Milwaukee for some seasoning, but I suspect he will not stay there long.

I have really high hopes for this kid. Very impressed by what I saw him do on a world stage.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Geoffrion had 6 goals and 8 points in 20 games, let's not right him off yet. He was getting 4th line minutes.

I'd like to see Geoffrion-Smith-Wilson line myself. I think Smith has that up and down game that works well with those 2...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I remember watching him at the Predators rookie camps way back when and still to this day haven't seen a player like him. He was oozing with skill and simply made things happen. He was head and shoulders above the rest. Other guys have looked good but not enough to jump out like Radulov did.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Geoffrion's numbers looked great considering his ice time. I don't think he'll be a big scorer at the NHL level but his hockey IQ is out of this world and he makes the small plays happen. I think he will be a very good third line center and possibly second if he scores like he did.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:02 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Seems to me that past history suggests 2 things:

1) - Smith starts the year in Milw. We all know "the road....."
2) - Until our checking line becomes our 4th line, not 3rd, guys like Smith and Bam-Bam aren't gonna' get enough minutes for them to contribute like we all hope they can. None of them are taking a top 6 spot this year unless there's an injury or Wilson is a complete head-case.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post

2) - Until our checking line becomes our 4th line, not 3rd, guys like Smith and Bam-Bam aren't gonna' get enough minutes for them to contribute like we all hope they can. None of them are taking a top 6 spot this year unless there's an injury or Wilson is a complete head-case.
I think that Smith, if sent to MIL, will be the first call up when one of the forwards is injured. That's how both Bam Bam and Rads got a shot. IIRC both started with the Ads and made the best of their opportunity when someone was hurt.

I'm not saying Smith is the second coming of Radulov. Just hoping so. And if he produces only moderately he provides depth. The big question is can he play defense? Is he responsible enough to earn Trotz's trust?

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:09 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

yea ive been wondering about his 2-way game also. But im assuming, because he played in the ncaa, that he has decent defensive skills to say the least. He was a poile pick after all =)

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
roseyc

If Smith makes the team then does that mean O'Reilly doesn't ....Imagine a combination of Smith and Wilson they could be the scoring machine that we have been waiting for

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It's more likely that one of Smith or O'Reilly is moved to wing and Halischuk plays in Milwaukee

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It's more likely that one of Smith or O'Reilly is moved to wing and Halischuk plays in Milwaukee
Agreed. Cal played wing in Milwaukee. I realize that it isn't the same thing as playing wing in the NHL, but the experience should help.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Agreed. Cal played wing in Milwaukee. I realize that it isn't the same thing as playing wing in the NHL, but the experience should help.
Oh really? I didn't know that. How often did he play wing? Who did he play with?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
As much as I want to see Halischuk with the big club, this sounds like a possibility.

I can't wait to see what Beck can do in the main camp. Is he turning pro this year for sure or does he have a year of junior left?

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:49 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post

Or they light the lamp and score enough and Trotz is forced to put them there...the kid looks like a natural goal scorer. None of his goals were easy shots except one.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:00 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
As much as I want to see Halischuk with the big club, this sounds like a possibility.

I can't wait to see what Beck can do in the main camp. Is he turning pro this year for sure or does he have a year of junior left?
It's a good problem to have when you have to make a tough decision on sending a promising young forward down because you have a better young forward. I'll take it

And Beck actually played 12 games in the A last year (4 regular season, 8 play off). He'll be in Milwaukee or Nashville. Probably Milwaukee.

Oh and if memory serves O'Reilly actually played a little wing in Nashville.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:55 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Very true. I also was wanting to see more of Halischuck, but now this damn Smith guy comes along.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:22 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i think Halischuk's spot is safer than Geoffrion's, actually.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Agreed. A little more seasoning on Blake wouldn't be a bad thing.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I would agree if we still had Ward. Geoffrion's size will keep him on the roster.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I would agree if we still had Ward. Geoffrion's size will keep him on the roster.
I think Geoffrion has more to gain from going to Milwaukee for a bit longer. I think there's still growth in his offensive game that he's more likely to realize playing on the first line down there, as opposed to getting the Barry Trotz patented "rookie treatment" on the fourth line with Zack Stortini.

Also, I believe Halischuk has to clear waivers, where as Geoffrion does not.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:00 AM
MrJoshua

I think the only way Geoffrion makes it onto the team this year is if he comes out in camp and flat-out smokes the competition. Otherwise I think he's in Milwaukee for more seasoning on their top line, which would probably be a good thing for his long-term growth. I think Halischuk and Smith are fighting it out for the last roster spot, while Stortini probably has the inside track on the 13th forward position. I'm expecting the lineup to look something like this:

Hornqvist-Fisher-Kostitsyn
Wilson-Legwand-Erat
Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling
Bergfors-O'Reilly-Smith or Halischuk
Stortini

With Geoffrion on the top line in Milwaukee with either Smith or Halischuk. Get a couple of the kids more grooming so that they're super ready to break onto the scene later in the year when injuries hit, or next season. And I must say that I think Halischuk has a better chance of sticking out of camp than Smith, if only because Trotz is already familiar with him and his style of play. But if Smith comes out and tears things up in the preseason he'll get a shot. And it's possible that Halischuk is kept around as an extra forward out of camp just in case Smith falters, and one of them gets sent down after five or six games (although that's not very likely if he'd have to clear waivers).

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote