HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Traverse City Cup: New York Rangers vs. Buffalo Sabres (7:00 pm) MSG (HD)

Old
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
No, he's going to Plymouth in the OHL. He's too young to play in the AHL.
No he's not.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:43 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
No he's not.
How do you figure?

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Pizza

Good tournament.

These kids with the exception of Bourque and Erixon are all young, raw and need lots of work.

Erixon might step in right away.

Bourque I'm not sure about, but you can't deny the effort. 1st rate.

Miller is raw, but looked impressive overall.

These are the three I'm most impressed with. Good stuff.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:45 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Very happy with the way this squad played. And who knows, maybe we'll fleece the sabres in a deal for some of these kids.

ck20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:45 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
How do you figure?
Drafted out of US NTDP, not CHL. He's not bound to the NHL-CHL agreement about 19 and unders staying in the CHL.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
How do you figure?
He wasn't playing in the CHL when he was drafted, therefore the CHL rules restricting players from playing in the AHL do not apply to him. Grachev was in the same situation.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Didn't realize it was dependent on anything other than age.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:50 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
How do you figure?
Wasn't drafted out of the CHL, no restrictions on AHL eligibility.

That said barring a miracle he is heading to Plymouth.

09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

The Rangers aren't going to send Miller to the AHL. They are going to let him develop his game at Plymouth. He'll get more quality ice time against players in his age group. Plymouth is the best place for him right now.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Wasn't drafted out of the CHL, no restrictions on AHL eligibility.

That said barring a miracle he is heading to Plymouth.
AHL for Miller, I believe would mean no sliding on his ELC and he'd be eligible to become a UFA at age 25, everything 2 years earlier. . Would be a bad move unless he is considered possible to join the NHL at some point this year, which I doubt.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah that would be an awful decision, in regards to contractual considerations.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The last game...who did Micheletti compare grant too again? Saying the brass thinks he'll make the NHL in the future..anyone remember?
nm, it was Rene Bourque he compared him to.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Miller isn't "raw".

"Raw" can be used to describe someone who is all skill and hasn't a clue how to play the game.

Miller isn't raw. He just isn't experienced against higher levels of competition. He's smart, he understands how to play the game. He's strong. And he's good on faceoffs.

Thomas is raw. Very. He has a lot of skill. But he's a turnover machine. He doesn't know when to hold onto the puck and when to get it deep. He's physically weak. He hasn't a clue how to play away from the puck. He got hit hard several times in this tournament alone. He can skate and shoot. That's raw. Unfortunately, its going to take him a couple-few years to learn how to play in a manner that will be successful at the Pro level. He has a lot of bad habits he's getting away with in the CHL.

Miller isn't ready for Pro hockey, yet. One year at Plymouth and he will be in the AHL next year. He's a mature player. More then his age would indicate.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:00 PM
SomE

Extremely disappointed by Thomas.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Extremely disappointed by Thomas.
Im not disappointed by his play. Im just not surprised.

I've been saying all season he's very skilled, but he isn't a good hockey player yet.

He's only 19. Very young. Lots of time to develop the things he needs to work on. And hopefully grow a couple inches and gain 15 or so pounds.

By age 22 Thomas could be the player we all hope he will be.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Pizza

One thing that really stuck out to me tonight was the lack of size up front for the Rangers. The Sabres took this game away in part with their size. Rangers need to get more forwards with size and skill in the pipe line.

Easier said than done, but there it is.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:20 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
One thing that really stuck out to me tonight was the lack of size up front for the Rangers. The Sabres took this game away in part with their size. Rangers need to get more forwards with size and skill in the pipe line.

Easier said than done, but there it is.
Two things -

1) Adam and Kassian are both ready to turn pro.

2) Miller seemed to thrive, Yogan was out injured, and neither Kreider nor Fogarty were there. These are players in the system with size and skill.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
What's worse, a 2-on-1 or a PP allowed? It was a 2-on-1 if he doesn't take his guy down.
PP allowed is worse. You have to trust your partner to play the 2-on-1 correctly and trust your goalie to make the stop on the guy with the puck. I understand the thinking, but it just shows you that McIlrath has some learning to do still. Taking down the guy is instinct, letting the play happen is smart.

That was fun. Hagelin looked good to me. Bourque looked outstanding, but of course there are potential NHL translation issues with him. Erixon looks like a pro already. JAM was interesting to watch, although he's going to be a pretty typical Jeff Hamilton-type player. Under-sized, capable of lighting up the AHL, but never really translating into NHL play. He'll end up in Europe where he'll get a bigger check. I liked Miller's game, but he's still incomplete (not raw). He needs some seasoning. Thomas' speed stood out to me too, but maybe he just looked like he was moving faster because the Sabres were bigger. It's gonna be an interesting camp.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Two things -

1) Adam and Kassian are both ready to turn pro.

2) Miller seemed to thrive, Yogan was out injured, and neither Kreider nor Fogarty were there. These are players in the system with size and skill.
Agree on Miller. He looked good.

IMO there are too many smallish players (Bourque, Thomas, MZA, Hagelin, etc.) in the system.

I just want more than four forward prospects in the system with size and skill. I'm greedy like that.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

IMO there are too many smallish players (Bourque, Thomas, MZA, Hagelin, etc.) in the system.

I just want more than four forward prospects in the system with size and skill. I'm greedy like that.
Hagelin looks pretty thick to me. he will be a good 3rd line , pker that can score some goals............Bourque is small but he sure does play bigger. MZA is called a hobbit so yea, lol............Thomas also crafty and should get better.............btw we can't expect all these guys to make it and some will be trade pieces.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I just got home from the Met game, did we win? Poop, we lost.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Recap at http://hfrangersblog.com/2011/09/14/...pionship-game/

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

You greedy rat *******. (Completely agreed.)

Miller looked great this game - very enthused about his upside. As did Erixon - again. He's legit. This was also Hagelin's best game, which is encouraging against the best competition.

Bourque was good, buuuuuuuut not to the level we've seen in previous games - which perhaps goes to the issues we worry about when it comes to his size in the pros. Then again, it took Cally a while. All in all, Bourque made a believer out of me for the first time in this tourney. I think he has an NHL future.

Thomas looked worn down and trying too hard. He's got the skills and I am very encouraged by his upside - but not quite yet this year, I think.

McIlrath looked mediocre again. I see the tools - I get what they liked when they drafted him. That's good. But this is his second prospect tourney and by the end he looked as out of his element as the rawest guy there. That's bad. (Really, really bad.) He's got a looooooong way to go. He's making me more worried that we wasted that pick, not less.

I know we had some debates about him after game one and I don't mean to hype him up unduly, but I honestly think that Yogan's absence really hurt this team in the last two games. He has the skill to play with the Bourques, Hagelins, Thomases, etc... but he also has strength and size. He allowed the team to control the puck along the boards, he generated scoring chances (even though he only converted one), he cleared space and disrupted the defense when he skated through the middle... he made the little skilled guys that much more effective. In short, he was a difference maker. Yogan was the size + skill forward whose absence Pizza was lamenting tonight. (Miller as an 18 year old also showed flashes of being that guy - and definitely will be next year.)

Lastly, as most of you know, I am NOT a goon fan, but I was surprised by McNaught. He may have the raw tools to be a legitimate 4th liner - who can also kick ass. I am now counting him as a legit, albeit longshot prospect.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 09-14-2011 at 11:12 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Muh
Beadle

Just watched the game on DVR, damn, thought we were gonna get this win after the 2nd

Notes from the game and the tournament...

First off what did you guys think of that hit on Thomas early in the game?

Buffalo was very good. First period we couldn't get the puck out of our own zone, they had a great forecheck. Likewise defensively for Sabres, they were in every lane and we could not get any flow going. They played very well.

I didn't notice Bourque much in the first period, but he was very noticable for the rest of the game. I love how he plays. He was easily our forward MVP for this tournament.

Defensively, Erixon just seemed to always be on the ice. He was our best defensemen in this tourney and I am excited to see him in training camp in a few days.

McIlrath impressed me the first game, but since then he didn't do to much to catch my eye in a good way. Not saying he had a bad tourney, but I guess when you focus on a guy you look for the best but only see the flaws.

Hagelin played well this tourney, has great speed. As does Thomas, with a very nice shot. But I just don't think either are ready for battle for a roster spot on NYR. Honestly I have not seem much of either of them besides this tourney. But to me it looks like they could very much benefit from another year to work on their game, and hope to see them push for a spot on NYR come next year.

Agree? Disagree with what I believe about Thomas and Hagelin?

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:07 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Just watched the game on DVR, damn, thought we were gonna get this win after the 2nd

Notes from the game and the tournament...

First off what did you guys think of that hit on Thomas early in the game?

Buffalo was very good. First period we couldn't get the puck out of our own zone, they had a great forecheck. Likewise defensively for Sabres, they were in every lane and we could not get any flow going. They played very well.

I didn't notice Bourque much in the first period, but he was very noticable for the rest of the game. I love how he plays. He was easily our forward MVP for this tournament.

Defensively, Erixon just seemed to always be on the ice. He was our best defensemen in this tourney and I am excited to see him in training camp in a few days.

McIlrath impressed me the first game, but since then he didn't do to much to catch my eye in a good way. Not saying he had a bad tourney, but I guess when you focus on a guy you look for the best but only see the flaws.

Hagelin played well this tourney, has great speed. As does Thomas, with a very nice shot. But I just don't think either are ready for battle for a roster spot on NYR. Honestly I have not seem much of either of them besides this tourney. But to me it looks like they could very much benefit from another year to work on their game, and hope to see them push for a spot on NYR come next year.

Agree? Disagree with what I believe about Thomas and Hagelin?
Agree with pretty much every word. Erixon did always seem to be on the ice, and always seemed to be playing well, which says two things, to me:

a.) Gernander (CT's AHL head coach) had confidence in him over all of the other d-men. Whether that's by default because the rest of the d-men weren't cutting it, or because he felt Erixon was simply better regardless, I'm not sure, but it's probably somewhere in between.

b.) He's capable of eating up big minutes. It literally looked like he was on the ice for 40 minutes. I know he wasn't, but I'd see him take a 75 second shift, hit the bench for 25 seconds and jump right back out for another shift. He looks like he could be a work horse.

Erixon seems to be the kind of player whose going to quietly do everything right. He stood out in this tournament because you were looking for him and because he was clearly out steadiest d-man, but in the NHL, I think you will almost never notice him until he's making a good defensive play out of nowhere. His game isn't flashy, but he's smooth and steady.

Hagelin has wheels and looks like he could be a solid third liner, but he didn't do too much besides the odd opportunity he created here and there, through the use of his speed. I don't think he'll challenge for a spot for at least a year. Miller was the one who I found most impressive and thought showed he might be knocking on the door sooner than most think.

Bourque... it's hard to say anything bad and he obviously gives 120% and is a smart player, but I have a hard time seeing him bringing it to the NHL level and translating into a successful career. We'll see. Had to admire his tournament though.

Thomas' willingness to shoot was the thing that stood out to me the most about him. Otherwise, I found him a bit disappointing. I think he got caught with his head down on the hit early in the game and the only reason a call was made is because he's 5'9 and McNabb is 6'5. I mean, maybe I'm wrong and it gets called anyway, but I think it's only as high/ugly as it was because Thomas is tiny. A guy that small can't afford to make that rush with his head down. I was surprised he came back so quickly, but wouldn't be surprised if we hear he ended up with a slight concussion and just wanted to stay in the final game of the tourney.

McIlrath looked good at times and he's clearly vocal and energetic, but he looks raw/unpolished. He was just getting beat too much. He's got good mobility though for a kid as big as he is and the potential is there. I just hope he can tighten it up or he might be a physical force, but defensively average player when he finally makes it.