HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/14 - Young Stars - Game 3 - Canucks (5) vs Sharks (3)

Old
09-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Mitts McCann

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Our man Polasek.

I agree, very under-rated on these boards. How Connauton got 55 votes over Polasek in our polls is beyond me.

I think another thing Polasek has over Sauve besides the physicality is just offensive vision. Sauve has a nice shot on the PP, but some of the passes Polasek makes is Edler-esque; finding a lane/man that not many would find.
Seriously? I'm the total opposite. Connauton has only been playing defense for five years. You can't deny his skill level. I think he's improved defensively over last year. Connautons potential is a top 4 defenseman and a very good powerplay qb. Polasek I see maxing out as a 5th defenseman. Connauton is starting to get underrated on these boards. Look for him to have a long look at training camp.

Mitts McCann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Seriously? I'm the total opposite. Connauton has only been playing defense for five years. You can't deny his skill level. I think he's improved defensively over last year. Connautons potential is a top 4 defenseman and a very good powerplay qb. Polasek I see maxing out as a 5th defenseman. Connauton is starting to get underrated on these boards. Look for him to have a long look at training camp.
And then a long trip to Chicago to learn about playing in the defensive zone.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:23 PM
xtr3m

vCash: 50
TSN highlights: http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip532427#clip532427

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:36 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Wow, top 4 dman? Look, I'd love more than anything for Connauton to develop in to a Ehrhoff replacement for this team but if Connauton is still having trouble in the defensive zone in a rookie tournament I find it very hard to believe that he's ready to compete for a top 8 spot on the nucks. Hopefully he's just playing nonchalantly and he's actually learned a thing or two playing for a great defensive minded coach in Noel last year, but if he can ever become a top 6 dman in this league I think we should all be extremely satisfied with that.

I feel like you're basing your judgments on hype more than actual game play.

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:38 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Compared to Sunday's game, I honestly thought none of the goals could really be put on Honzik, apart from the 1 blatant giveaway. I thought he did pretty well in this game.
Yeah those were my thoughts as well, nice to see a bounce back game from him. After that bad first game he didn't need to be amazing or anything but just show some competency so we can see some promise in him. It was always known that he'd be a bit of a project.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Sick goal by Rodin.

Sauve might still be slightly ahead of Polasek, but Poli is a much more well rounded defender imho. He can do it all.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:54 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Seriously. There is no way that i would rank Connauton over Polasek right now.

Yes, he is skilled offensively and has a sick shot, but so does MA Bergeron. Playing on one side of the puck does not make you a top 4 defenseman nor is it enough to get the label of a potential top 4 defenseman.

There's a reason why Connauton was scratched several times and that was because of his defense. I don't really see that much improvement since last season with the Moose, beyond a bit better mobility. He still looks lost in the D zone, continually chasing people, always one step (mentally) behind. Rarely do i see him win battles on the boards, he gives taps on the back of the guys calves, or cross checks them in the back, have yet to see him take the body and come away with the puck.

There are a lot of things he needs to learn, but luckily, for him, MacT is a very good defensive coach. But still, in my mind, Connauton is at least 2 years away from making any moves for the main roster.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Ian Walker
Quote:
I'm hearing Vancouver could take as many as 20 prospects to #Canucks main camp. #YoungStars

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Kickassguy
High-End Intangible

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
I laughed when I heard that Kellan Tochkin models his game after Kyle Wellwood.

He may be my new favourite prospect now.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Excuse my ignorance, (I've never actually played hockey outside of a gym, tennis court or a road) but somewhere along the way why aren't these offensively gifted guys with no clue how to defend not switched to the forward position?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
Wow, top 4 dman? Look, I'd love more than anything for Connauton to develop in to a Ehrhoff replacement for this team but if Connauton is still having trouble in the defensive zone in a rookie tournament I find it very hard to believe that he's ready to compete for a top 8 spot on the nucks. Hopefully he's just playing nonchalantly and he's actually learned a thing or two playing for a great defensive minded coach in Noel last year, but if he can ever become a top 6 dman in this league I think we should all be extremely satisfied with that.

I feel like you're basing your judgments on hype more than actual game play.

I thought he's played well defensively. He's moving the puck really well.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Seriously. There is no way that i would rank Connauton over Polasek right now.

Yes, he is skilled offensively and has a sick shot, but so does MA Bergeron. Playing on one side of the puck does not make you a top 4 defenseman nor is it enough to get the label of a potential top 4 defenseman.

There's a reason why Connauton was scratched several times and that was because of his defense. I don't really see that much improvement since last season with the Moose, beyond a bit better mobility. He still looks lost in the D zone, continually chasing people, always one step (mentally) behind. Rarely do i see him win battles on the boards, he gives taps on the back of the guys calves, or cross checks them in the back, have yet to see him take the body and come away with the puck.

There are a lot of things he needs to learn, but luckily, for him, MacT is a very good defensive coach. But still, in my mind, Connauton is at least 2 years away from making any moves for the main roster.
What's wrong with that? He's still young. I'd be ecstatic if he makes the team as a 24 year old. In two years in the AHL his defense will improve drastically and with his skill level and shot. I really don't see all of the hate for this guy. Most defenseman don't fully develop till at least 26-27.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
And then a long trip to Chicago to learn about playing in the defensive zone.
He's a project. Raw. With a ton of upside. With more experience as pro defenseman there's no doubt in my mind he's going to make an impact in the Canucks organization.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Ian Walker
Let's see. Obvious ones...

Sweatt
Rodin
Schroeder
Jensen
Archibald
Sauve
Erixon
Connauton
Polasek

Likely...

Tochkin
Friesen
Longpre
Anthony

Possibly...

Schneider
Rai
Grenier
St. Laurent
Lessard

Long shot...

Corrado
Zanetti
Curtis
Roussel

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:17 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Great goal.

Cheesy call... "How Swede it is!!!"
Sounds like a TSN headline...

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
One thing I can't quite wrap my head around: Out of all the mediocre, ****** play that's taken place so far in this tourney...Prab Rai is the one who gets no breaks? The guy who missed an entire year with injury? The guy who hasn't played a meaningful game in 9-10 months?

If Prab Rai isn't allowed an excuse for not being up to speed, then neither is any other player. Period. I seriously doubt management is hoping for much more than a game to game improvement out of a guy who missed that much time. I guess I just don't understand how comments like "Prab Rai sucks....waste of a contract" could even be said without adding "even for a guy who missed all of last year because of injury". Just my 2 cents- and no I'm not a relative.

Just for comparison: last year's tourney he looked similar to, and a step ahead of, guys like Anthony and Friesen. Now he doesn't, but also doesn't look worse (to me) than some of the never been-never will- no chance invitees. Why is this surprising?, or even worth commentary at all? /RANT

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:30 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
What's wrong with that? He's still young. I'd be ecstatic if he makes the team as a 24 year old. In two years in the AHL his defense will improve drastically and with his skill level and shot. I really don't see all of the hate for this guy. Most defenseman don't fully develop till at least 26-27.
Because you said he would have a long look at THIS camp. That's what is the point of contention. He is nowhere close to getting a long look with 8 NHL defensemen and 3 prospect defensemen better than him.

You assume his development is on a direct slope upwards; in one year in the AHL, his defense has arguably remained the same. There is no guarantee that it will improve "drastically" in 2 years and there is no guarantee he will make the team in 2 years or even 4. It can and he can improve, but to have no doubt in your mind, i think is a bit absurd if you watch him for an extended period of time (aka more than a prospects tourney or a handful of AHL games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
If Prab Rai isn't allowed an excuse for not being up to speed, then neither is any other player. Period.
Who has gotten excuses made for them? Hodgson certainly didn't last pre-season despite a well publicized injury; several people were slinging out the bust labels and throwing away their Godson banners.

Last edited by thefeebster: 09-15-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old
09-15-2011, 12:37 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
One thing I can't quite wrap my head around: Out of all the mediocre, ****** play that's taken place so far in this tourney...Prab Rai is the one who gets no breaks? The guy who missed an entire year with injury? The guy who hasn't played a meaningful game in 9-10 months?

If Prab Rai isn't allowed an excuse for not being up to speed, then neither is any other player. Period. I seriously doubt management is hoping for much more than a game to game improvement out of a guy who missed that much time. I guess I just don't understand how comments like "Prab Rai sucks....waste of a contract" could even be said without adding "even for a guy who missed all of last year because of injury". Just my 2 cents- and no I'm not a relative.

Just for comparison: last year's tourney he looked similar to, and a step ahead of, guys like Anthony and Friesen. Now he doesn't, but also doesn't look worse (to me) than some of the never been-never will- no chance invitees. Why is this surprising?, or even worth commentary at all? /RANT
I highly doubt Rai makes the NHL, he got pump up because he's from Van and the East Indian following.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:

Who has gotten excuses made for them? Hodgson certainly didn't last pre-season despite a well publicized injury; several people were slinging out the bust labels and throwing away their Godson banners.
Who said anything about Hodgson? So far, i've read thing like "Connauton has only played defence for 5 years", and Rodin is just getting over his shoulder injury. I'm the last guy to throw Hodgson under the bus but plenty of "he suffered a serious injury" qualifications have been made by Canuck fans all around HF boards. They were right then.....and they would be right if they gave Rai the same break now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
I highly doubt Rai makes the NHL, he got pump up because he's from Van and the East Indian following.
Almost everyone has always seriously doubted that Rai makes the NHL. What round did we pick him in again? Go back to this very tournament last year and I think you'll see that most Canuck die hards were impressed with Rai. It's very doubtful they were all Indian. I know i'm not...even if I do love a good Chicken Korma (with a half dozen side Roti's). He got pumped up because he was one of our best forwards in this tourney 1 year ago.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:00 AM
David71

anton rodin that was a very sweet goal to watch. polesek is interesting as well. hozink? let in like 2 softies.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:10 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Who said anything about Hodgson? So far, i've read thing like "Connauton has only played defence for 5 years", and Rodin is just getting over his shoulder injury. I'm the last guy to throw Hodgson under the bus but plenty of "he suffered a serious injury" qualifications have been made by Canuck fans all around HF boards. They were right then.....and they would be right if they gave Rai the same break now.

Almost everyone has always seriously doubted that Rai makes the NHL. What round did we pick him in again? Go back to this very tournament last year and I think you'll see that most Canuck die hards were impressed with Rai. It's very doubtful they were all Indian. I know i'm not...even if I do love a good Chicken Korma (with a half dozen side Roti's). He got pumped up because he was one of our best forwards in this tourney 1 year ago.
Rai was a good pick for the 4th round, I don't disagree with that, but he was over hyped. We'll see if he can make the NHL and be the top 6 forward but I just don't see it.

Also who said anything about Hodgson?... you were going on about other Canuck prospect getting slack for injuries when Hodgson sure didn't and many were already calling him a bust. That poster was pointing out that Rai isn't the only one like you were saying.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:22 AM
whoshouse

Quote:
Pumped up because hes from Van (Surrey actually) and is East Indian? Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. He was never pumped up. And the only thing he had going for him was that he was a 40 goal scorer on a Seattle team that had little to no star power.

Like I mentioned before, until he proves that he can be a reliable and consistent energy third or fourth liner he won't make then NHL. It's unfortunate because he has the speed, strength and skill to become that type of player.

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:26 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Well I only bring up Hodgson because the injury situation is similar and people were harping on him 10x more when he took his first shift and they saw him skate. I've read a fair share of Rodin hate after Game 1 (the aforementioned bust label) as well as criticism for Connauton. There will always be some people defending the prospects they like with reasons as you mentioned. But from reading most of the GDTs, the majority of players have not gotten a free pass from criticism (especially after a brutal game 1).

The only player i think that has flew under the radar for "hate" would be Grenier; hasn't impressed me much at all, invisible 80% of the time until he stands in front of the net to screen the goalie.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:39 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Well I only bring up Hodgson because the injury situation is similar and people were harping on him 10x more when he took his first shift and they saw him skate. I've read a fair share of Rodin hate after Game 1 (the aforementioned bust label) as well as criticism for Connauton. There will always be some people defending the prospects they like with reasons as you mentioned. But from reading most of the GDTs, the majority of players have not gotten a free pass from criticism (especially after a brutal game 1).

The only player i think that has flew under the radar for "hate" would be Grenier; hasn't impressed me much at all, invisible 80% of the time until he stands in front of the net to screen the goalie.
People here on HF are just bipolar when it comes to prospects ... heck, even the main team too after a loss.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Rai was a good pick for the 4th round, I don't disagree with that, but he was over hyped. We'll see if he can make the NHL and be the top 6 forward but I just don't see it.

Also who said anything about Hodgson?... you were going on about other Canuck prospect getting slack for injuries when Hodgson sure didn't and many were already calling him a bust. That poster was pointing out that Rai isn't the only one like you were saying.
Hodgson DID get slack from Canuck fans....are you seriously denying that? I'm saying Hodgson deserved that slack because we know what his injury was....Prab Rai missed ALL OF LAST SEASON...due to injury.....follow me? If you can't understand what I mean by saying "give a guy some slack who missed an entire season while injured"...then there's nothing left to say i guess

Rai was over-hyped? He was never hyped at all until this tourney 1 year ago....Jon Rheualt (sp ?) had a multiple page thread on the prospects board based on the same tourney IIRC.