HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Teubert's nose knows?

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2011, 01:38 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is there some particular reason you feel the need to come on our board and post this video twice in the same thread? On the same page even?
Oops, my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, Teuberts fighting form is a little unorthodox.

Agree that he just leaves his head in the worst spots. Seems to have no awareness that when he goes for the big swing and a miss he's wide open.

Just a target.
Leaving it straight up and down is one thing(It can't always be helped in hockey because of how guys have to square off), but I don't understand putting your head back into the dangerous area where you'd just gotten smoked. Players that fight a lot have talked about how they will research each others tendencies and he could be in for a rough time if he makes the big show.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Eytinge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Peckham got KO'd by a non-fighter.

He must not be "NHL tough" either.

Your "tough guys don't get KO'd" theory is bulletproof.
Horton is a tough hombre. Not sure why you're calling him a non-fighter.

I sorta agree with Replacement here. Teubert has got to be smarter than that. When he's named captain of the team, don't start fights up 7-1 and then promptly get your ass handed to you.

Looking at a few of his fights from hockeyfights.com, he doesn't even seem to be that good of a fighter. Definitely needs a few tips when it comes to head placement and leaving himself open for punches.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
No, Teubert should maybe stop fighting. Or learn to dance at this level.

Nobodies questioning Peckhams toughness. Not sure what that has to do with anything.
So he's not the greatest fighter, the kid was trying to make an impression on management and he got KTFO'd, it sucks, but the kid was trying to show what he's got. The fact that the guy that tagged him isn't a fighter doesn't mean much, Peckham got tagged by Horton last year, it happens. The guy threw a right straight down the pipe and caught Teubert with his momentum coming forward, it happens. Should he try and improve his fighting skills? Yeah that wouldn't hurt, however I don't see you starting a thread about how Alex Plante or Stortini would lose a ton of fights, of course neither were traded for Penner so I guess that mystery is solved

09-15-2011, 01:46 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post

I sorta agree with Replacement here. Teubert has got to be smarter than that. When he's named captain of the team, don't start fights up 7-1 and then promptly get your ass handed to you.

Looking at a few of his fights from hockeyfights.com, he doesn't even seem to be that good of a fighter. Definitely needs a few tips when it comes to head placement and leaving himself open for punches.
Ya, he's better off picking his spots, say like Kevin Bieksa. Wait for some helpless Euro to skate by and then jump him.

Better not fight that guy! He might beat me up.

Dont fight now, not the right time in this meaningless prospect game where the score doesnt matter.

This thread is a disgrace. Dont you think the guy is embarrassed? But no, lets start a thread, not even a random post, but a thread declaring how stupid Teubert is for getting punched in the face in a fight during a prospect game.

There are new heights of ridiculousness reached here to be sure.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:47 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Oops, my mistake.

Leaving it straight up and down is one thing(It can't always be helped in hockey because of how guys have to square off), but I don't understand putting your head back into the dangerous area where you'd just gotten smoked. Players that fight a lot have talked about how they will research each others tendencies and he could be in for a rough time if he makes the big show.
And if Polosek didn't have a track record maybe Teubert underrated him? Whatever the case he got caught, it happens. Kyle Clifford got tagged a few times last year, should he stop fighting?

Old
09-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Because he doesn't fight a whole hell of a lot? Sort of like the guy that tagged Teubert, doesn't fight much but it doesn't mean that he can't throw down.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Was I seeing things or didnt Polasek try and hit RNH which lead to Teuberts response right after.

Also, it was mentioned on Oilers Now that Polasek's father is a boxer or fighter of some sort.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Was I seeing things or didnt Polasek try and hit RNH which lead to Teuberts response right after.

Also, it was mentioned on Oilers Now that Polasek's father is a boxer or fighter of some sort.
The guy could throw a punch, it hit square, he's a big boy, **** happens /thread IMO.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:59 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And if Polosek didn't have a track record maybe Teubert underrated him? Whatever the case he got caught, it happens. Kyle Clifford got tagged a few times last year, should he stop fighting?
Oh there is no doubt that he could have easily done that, especially considering its a prospect game.

It just doesn't bode well for Colten that he fights a lot and has shown the habit more then once of moving his head into positions to get KO'd.

Besides the whole timing thing(Not sure if there was a hit on RNH or not) I believe replacement said he made this thread after watching a lot of Colten's fights, and if you go through them his lacking in tech is painfully obvious.

Not saying Colten isn't though either. Watching his fights he takes a lot of abuse, but one can only take so much for so long.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Is he NHL ready tough?

Looks like another guy that gets injured too much.

Kind of fitting I guess that he missed almost all of the tournament and gets injured so far any time he plays anywhere for the Oiler org. 2 AHL Playoff games last year then promptly injured. 2 periods so far this year then promptly injured.

Yeah, you know I'm not impressed.

Because frankly, What Teubert did in the first game of the prospects tourney was monumentally stupid.
Up 7-1 in a meaningless game, in the 3rd period, and he STARTS a fight that quickly goes horribly wrong and ends up with him having a broken nose/face/concussion or possible all of the above. Kind of weird that a guy that shouldn't even be in this game(he should be exempt from a prospects game by now)ends up looking green.

Not only did he get a Class A bell ringing and look like a complete amateur in the fight he outweighs, outreaches, and had a height advantage over his opponent, Polasek. Plus he's a year and a half older and one would like to think brighter.

Except I doubt thats the case.

This is Sheldon Souray stupid. Without the skill.

Not writing him off but sure doesn't look good at this point.
Wow is this a silly post man seriously. Just like during that cooking video in June where he joked around. You immediately said he was just a jock bully and that 5 minute video showed he had all kinds of bad personality traits etc... I mean seriously just admit you hate or at least strongly dislike him and are searching hard for bad things to say about him.

Yeah 2 playoff games then injured, two periods of the rookie tourney then injured as an Oiler. Let's just leave out the 20 games he played after being traded to the Oilers.

Seriously you are going to bring up and make a big deal about the weight and size of the guy in the fight?! You make it sound like it is some 260 pound goon fighting a 5'8 pipsqueak. Here are the heights and weight listed on the Oil and Canucks website:

Teubert 6'4 195
Polasek 6'3 190

One of the oldest in the tournament? Let just pick out a handful of guys from the teams they played (Jets, Canucks, Flames):
Teubert - 21 years old
Gregoire - 22 years old
Sweatt - 22 years old
Negrin - 22 years old
Bancks - 22 years old
Sylvester - 22 years old
Breen - 22 years old
Kytnar - 22 years old
Fedun - 23 years old
House - 25 years old

Did you watch the game closely and see if anything developed between Teubert and Polasek? Did one or the other take some liberties etc... If something like that happened the score means nothing. You do not know exactly what transpired to make the fight happen so it is pretty hard to pass judgment in such a harsh way.

Seriously you are ripping him for how perfectly or non-perfectly he fought? You never struck me as that type. More of the type that would respect someone like Buchberger or whoever who is willing to step in there and do it, regardless of outcome if they felt it was needed. But maybe I was wrong and you just like the maucho who is tougher, who got the best punch in for judgement.

The saddest thing is you have made all of these judgments on this young kid (yeah maybe I am getting old but 21 is a still a kid to me) based seemingly solely upon a five minute video of him clowning around at a cooking challenge and now added two periods of hockey.

Why put in that last line, it seems like you want him to do poorly so you can say you were right about everything. Because these types of posts make me think that is the case. Hopefully I am wrong. But it seems like with Teubert is are chomping at the bit to rip him a new one for anything he does. Sort of like you did with great in great detail and with zest and zeal against Penner before you later on changed your mind on him.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Guy gets KO.

Not NHL tough.

Based off a single game, in a rookie tournament.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So he's not the greatest fighter, the kid was trying to make an impression on management and he got KTFO'd, it sucks, but the kid was trying to show what he's got.
Bryan, this sentence to me shows we're not as far off on this as you might think.

My whole take was that Teubert should play his aces and play some solid D, throw some of his hits, and be generally tough out there as we know he can be(and especially against younger players)

But he didn't play to his strength. He maybe thinks fighting is his strength. It really isn't.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ya, he's better off picking his spots, say like Kevin Bieksa. Wait for some helpless Euro to skate by and then jump him.

Better not fight that guy! He might beat me up.

Dont fight now, not the right time in this meaningless prospect game where the score doesnt matter.

This thread is a disgrace. Dont you think the guy is embarrassed? But no, lets start a thread, not even a random post, but a thread declaring how stupid Teubert is for getting punched in the face in a fight during a prospect game.

There are new heights of ridiculousness reached here to be sure.
There's a difference between being a ridiculous spot picker like Bieksa and starting pointless fights up 6 goals. If Teubert had just layed out one of the Canucks and then Polasek challenged him to man-up, then I'd have no problem with it.

I just think he was trying to prove how tough he is, and real tough guys don't need to prove it. Let alone in a runaway game.

Quote:
Because he doesn't fight a whole hell of a lot? Sort of like the guy that tagged Teubert, doesn't fight much but it doesn't mean that he can't throw down.
He had 9 fights all of last year, he's not some shrinking violet. He's a known commodity.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:20 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Bryan, this sentence to me shows we're not as far off on this as you might think.

My whole take was that Teubert should play his aces and play some solid D, throw some of his hits, and be generally tough out there as we know he can be(and especially against younger players)

But he didn't play to his strength. He maybe thinks fighting is his strength. It really isn't.
This is basically the point of the entire thread and replacement isn't basing this off just one game or one fight. His fighting has an obvious pattern/style to it and its not one that lends itself to a lot of wins or a long career. Colten is a pretty good defender that throws some huge hits he doesn't need to chuck 'em all the time.

Quote:
I just think he was trying to prove how tough he is, and real tough guys don't need to prove it. Let alone in a runaway game.

He had 9 fights all of last year, he's not some shrinking violet. He's a known commodity.
Agreed here. Horton is actually a scary mofo.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Wow is this a silly post man seriously. Just like during that cooking video in June where he joked around. You immediately said he was just a jock bully and that 5 minute video showed he had all kinds of bad personality traits etc... I mean seriously just admit you hate or at least strongly dislike him and are searching hard for bad things to say about him.

Yeah 2 playoff games then injured, two periods of the rookie tourney then injured as an Oiler. Let's just leave out the 20 games he played after being traded to the Oilers.

Seriously you are going to bring up and make a big deal about the weight and size of the guy in the fight?! You make it sound like it is some 260 pound goon fighting a 5'8 pipsqueak. Here are the heights and weight listed on the Oil and Canucks website:

Teubert 6'4 195
Polasek 6'3 190

One of the oldest in the tournament? Let just pick out a handful of guys from the teams they played (Jets, Canucks, Flames):
Teubert - 21 years old
Gregoire - 22 years old
Sweatt - 22 years old
Negrin - 22 years old
Bancks - 22 years old
Sylvester - 22 years old
Breen - 22 years old
Kytnar - 22 years old
Fedun - 23 years old
House - 25 years old

Did you watch the game closely and see if anything developed between Teubert and Polasek? Did one or the other take some liberties etc... If something like that happened the score means nothing. You do not know exactly what transpired to make the fight happen so it is pretty hard to pass judgment in such a harsh way.

Seriously you are ripping him for how perfectly or non-perfectly he fought? You never struck me as that type. More of the type that would respect someone like Buchberger or whoever who is willing to step in there and do it, regardless of outcome if they felt it was needed. But maybe I was wrong and you just like the maucho who is tougher, who got the best punch in for judgement.

The saddest thing is you have made all of these judgments on this young kid (yeah maybe I am getting old but 21 is a still a kid to me) based seemingly solely upon a five minute video of him clowning around at a cooking challenge and now added two periods of hockey.

Why put in that last line, it seems like you want him to do poorly so you can say you were right about everything. Because these types of posts make me think that is the case. Hopefully I am wrong. But it seems like with Teubert is are chomping at the bit to rip him a new one for anything he does. Sort of like you did with great in great detail and with zest and zeal against Penner before you later on changed your mind on him.
Teuberts got talent and ability and a game that he can parlay into something but never has. Just one(not all) of the reasons being he gets injured too much. This interferes with a players development, improvement and playing experience.

Teubert didn't play his best card in this tournament. Although I wonder whether he thinks he did.

Not sure how to answer in most succinct fashion and which I've already stated.

Kid wants to make an impression then show your solid D, physical play, and some hits. But knock it off with the fighting.
His fighting is overrated.

I think by him as well.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-15-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old
09-15-2011, 02:35 AM
dnicks17

Going back to your original point, how does being an average to below average fighter mean a lack of toughness?

He took a man size beating and got right up.

He's tough.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:35 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Is he NHL ready tough?

Looks like another guy that gets injured too much.

Kind of fitting I guess that he missed almost all of the tournament and gets injured so far any time he plays anywhere for the Oiler org. 2 AHL Playoff games last year then promptly injured. 2 periods so far this year then promptly injured.

Yeah, you know I'm not impressed.

Because frankly, What Teubert did in the first game of the prospects tourney was monumentally stupid.
Up 7-1 in a meaningless game, in the 3rd period, and he STARTS a fight that quickly goes horribly wrong and ends up with him having a broken nose/face/concussion or possible all of the above. Kind of weird that a guy that shouldn't even be in this game(he should be exempt from a prospects game by now)ends up looking green.

Not only did he get a Class A bell ringing and look like a complete amateur in the fight he outweighs, outreaches, and had a height advantage over his opponent, Polasek. Plus he's a year and a half older and one would like to think brighter.

Except I doubt thats the case.

This is Sheldon Souray stupid. Without the skill.

Not writing him off but sure doesn't look good at this point.
21000+ posts

Seriously losing faith/respect in a hury.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:37 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
There's a difference between being a ridiculous spot picker like Bieksa and starting pointless fights up 6 goals. If Teubert had just layed out one of the Canucks and then Polasek challenged him to man-up, then I'd have no problem with it.

Its a prospect tournament. The purpose of which is to evaluate your prospects. The scores in the games dont matter much. Would it have been better if it was a 1-1 tie late in the third? Fights and shenanigans tend to happen when games get out of hand, not when games are close.

Add to that the background that the OP had a deathbed conversion when it comes to the player Teubert was traded for and I think you may be getting warm as to what some of the motivations for this bunk would be.

Also, IIRC the same OP was complaining about missing the game in question because he was unawares due to enjoying the blustery/rainy conditions on Sunday. So he didnt even watch the game on TV. He apparently watched it on his computer from the archives. Dont know about you but it is pretty hard to judge what is going on watching on HD TV in circumstances such as this away from the play, nevermind on a four by four inch window on your laptop.

Old
09-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Seachd

If the only guys who fight are the ones who know they're going to win, you end up with Laraque.

Most guys go into every fight knowing they can get their ***** handed to them, but they do it anyway. Besides, the point behind it isn't usually beating the piss out of the other guy. I'd guess that most of Teubert's fights have come at the defense of a teammate, although I don't know that for sure.

Let's get real though - anyone's nose can be broken. Has nothing to do with toughness.

Old
09-15-2011, 07:40 AM
DisgruntledGoat

I remember a training camp when Ryan Smyth fought his older, stronger, bigger, tougher teammate Jason Smith!

No wonder that idiot's NHL career was so short-lived!

Old
09-15-2011, 07:43 AM
VelvetJones

I don't post much anymore but I will drop in here and say this thread is pretty stupid.

Old
09-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Really?

The kid gets pegged directly in the nose and now his NHL toughness is being questioned?

Brashear got KO'd by a much less experienced Belak. Did you ever question Brashear's toughness?

Oh, Oilers fans...sometimes...

P.S. Polasek is the same height and heavier than Teubert.
^^ This. I don't care who you are, or how tough you think you are - you get popped in the nose, you're going to go down/eyes water etc...especially if it gets broken.

Waste of a thread here...

Old
09-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Chef10

That guy landed a perfect punch, in a hockey fight you only land those once in a blue moon and it was a blue moon for that guys and colton was counting the lights after it landed what can you do! It was an even fight till that one punch so i would question someones toughness on one fight.

Old
09-15-2011, 08:11 AM
awesomo
HARD!

still mad penner got traded lol

Old
09-15-2011, 08:11 AM
PKSpecialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
If the only guys who fight are the ones who know they're going to win, you end up with Laraque.

Most guys go into every fight knowing they can get their ***** handed to them, but they do it anyway. Besides, the point behind it isn't usually beating the piss out of the other guy. I'd guess that most of Teubert's fights have come at the defense of a teammate, although I don't know that for sure.

Let's get real though - anyone's nose can be broken. Has nothing to do with toughness.
It's funny that I haven't had to post in this thread, yet most of my opinions of Teubert have come forth anyways. I was a Regina Pats season ticket holder and watched Teubert game in and game out. This is what I will say about him. Is he a leader? Yes, he sticks up for his teammates, but no in the sense you don't want others to emulate him. Is he better off not fighting and playing his solid "D"? If you watched him play junior hockey you'd know that he is awful defensively, so he best find another way to impress, or maybe have others overlook his defensive deficiencies.

Again, I probably watched Teubert play 100+ times. I remember when he was drafted laughing saying what do these teams see in this guy? I thought maybe his defensive deficiencies had to do with him trying to compensate for poor defensive partners, so I watched him closer. Truth is, he gets beat one on one over and over by the same moves. I absolutely question his hockey IQ.

I saw him when he was just a junior prospect, and we all know that it can take a kid a long time to develop on defense, so because he is big, strong and mobile he may have a future if he learns and progresses, but most players with low hockey sense don't progress.

Closed Thread