HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Getting RDS in Ottawa?

Old
09-14-2011, 10:15 PM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They're not suppose to work anymore... Ever since August 31st, no ?
Bunny ears still work. The signal is digital instead of analogue though. If you have a recent HDTV the signal is converted by the TVs itself and it gives you an HD feed. Otherwise for the old TVs you need to get a box to convert those signals.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:45 AM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

NHL Gamecenter is far and away the best option for somebody living in Ottawa. We recently cancelled our cable after one month because they told us it was absolutely impossible to get RDS in Ottawa. (Which is definitively false. I know some people, even those in this thread, who have RDS on their Rogers Cable. Whatever.) So we cancelled and I'm going the Gamecenter route like we do every year. Here's the pros and cons:

1) The quality is excellent and you get all the games.
2) It's cheaper. (20/mo)
3) You do not get the playoffs.
4) There are blackouts. This can be gotten around by purchasing a VPN. It costs about five dollars a month, bringing the total cost to twenty five dollars a month. I'm wary to post the one I've bought on these boards because of the questionable legality and the heightened visibility of the service, but if OP sends me a PM, I'll get him a link.

So, I'd recommend that. The playoffs are going to be a stumbling block this year. But we'll figure something out.

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:54 AM
neofury*

No playoffs? That's a pretty big con if you ask me dude

Like we're talking deal breakingly bad. That said blackouts were already a huge bummer but I guess in Ottawa it may not be as bad.

Also a free proxy should do fine versus a vpn if you do enough digging.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Stawks
Hockey Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No playoffs? That's a pretty big con if you ask me dude

Like we're talking deal breakingly bad. That said blackouts were already a huge bummer but I guess in Ottawa it may not be as bad.

Also a free proxy should do fine versus a vpn if you do enough digging.
Well, you can always watch half the playoff games for free on CBC's website. At the very least you'd never miss a Montreal game, right?

For everything else, I dunno, sports bars?

Stawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Go with Bell, that way you'll get 74 Reg Season Habs games in English between TSN-TSN/Habs-CBC(Ottawa is in the Habs Region), without paying for a French package. Just watch the other 8 RDS games on a Stream or at the Cage-Aux-Sports in Gatineau or somewhere. I checked & the 8 games that are not picked up in English are all Vs crappy teams.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Mike McPhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Go with Bell, that way you'll get 74 Reg Season Habs games in English between TSN-TSN/Habs-CBC(Ottawa is in the Habs Region), without paying for a French package. Just watch the other 8 RDS games on a Stream or at the Cage-Aux-Sports in Gatineau or somewhere. I checked & the 8 games that are not picked up in English are all Vs crappy teams.
Hmm, good point. I wasn't aware that TSN/CBC were carrying so many Habs games this time around. Only problem is that you get the crappy English announcers who know very little about the team. But I can get over that.

But do you need to get Bell? Can't you accomplish the same with Rogers basic cable? Problem is that my apt building doesn't allow satellite dishes, and Bell told me that they only do satellite and fiber optic now -- no more old fashioned cable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcGee View Post
NHL Gamecenter is far and away the best option for somebody living in Ottawa. We recently cancelled our cable after one month because they told us it was absolutely impossible to get RDS in Ottawa. (Which is definitively false. I know some people, even those in this thread, who have RDS on their Rogers Cable. Whatever.) So we cancelled and I'm going the Gamecenter route like we do every year. Here's the pros and cons:

2) It's cheaper. (20/mo)
4) There are blackouts. This can be gotten around by purchasing a VPN. It costs about five dollars a month, bringing the total cost to twenty five dollars a month. I'm wary to post the one I've bought on these boards because of the questionable legality and the heightened visibility of the service, but if OP sends me a PM, I'll get him a link.

So, I'd recommend that. The playoffs are going to be a stumbling block this year. But we'll figure something out.
Thanks, Slappy. One question though -- with GameCenter, don't you only get the away team feeds? I was in Europe last year and got Centre Ice, and I can tell you that it was incredibly frustrating to have to watch the Boston playoff games with the jackass Bruins commentators. I almost never got the RDS feed.

Last edited by Mike8: 09-16-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: merge
Mike McPhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Gamecenter let's you switch between home and away feeds.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stawks View Post
Well, you can always watch half the playoff games for free on CBC's website. At the very least you'd never miss a Montreal game, right?

For everything else, I dunno, sports bars?
False, 2 seasons ago Habs first round playoff games were on TSN instead of CBC (CBC picked Vancouver and Ottawa series with their 2 picks).

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:23 PM
FireTherrien

All the Montreal playoffs games should be on CBC. If it's on CBC, it's free on CBCsports.ca
Unless CBC decides to do what they did 2 years ago (not pick Montreal series in their top 2 picks).

FireTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Hmm, good point. I wasn't aware that TSN/CBC were carrying so many Habs games this time around. Only problem is that you get the crappy English announcers who know very little about the team. But I can get over that.

Yep 74 in English.

Re: Above.
Mike Johnson is a good one... & were luck to have him on TSN-Regional.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:08 AM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Last year, what we got was TSN-Habs and the away feed. TSN-Habs is generally quality but obviously I would prefer RDS. We'll see how it goes this year.

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcGee View Post

2) It's cheaper. (20/mo)

But do you get french description with NHL Gamecenter. I am with RDS today in Ottawa (west-end) but looking for alternatives.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:41 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McPhee View Post
Quote:
Yep 74 in English.

Re: Above.
Mike Johnson is a good one... & were lucky to have him on TSN-Regional.
Don't forget Habs23 that TSN-Habs is now available on Shaw Direct. There are 73 games in english for the Habs region, the 9 games only on RDS are:

Oct. 24 vs. Florida
Nov. 10 at Phoenix
Nov. 17 at NY Islanders
Nov. 23 at Carolina
Nov. 30 at Anaheim
Dec. 1 at San Jose
Dec. 6 vs. Blue Jackets
Feb. 9 at NY Islanders
Mar. 21 at Buffalo

About half of them are against so-so teams.

Yes, Johnson is a good commentator. I like him on the NHL Network and I hope he will do some national games on TSN along with Dave Randorf.

Last edited by CBCnutcase: 09-19-2011 at 12:22 AM.
CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote