HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still ~4+ Million under the cap... what do?

Old
09-14-2011, 02:24 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Gauthier's such an imbecile..
People sure likes to say that like a slogan, without backing up with any real facts.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
jake the snake

Spacek will have a stellar season, he finally understood that he's got to put on a turtulneck! Pleks must have help him on that one!

Sorry the link for the image doesn't work... it's on cyberpresse, golf tournement pics

jake the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:51 PM
capnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Depending on whether we go with 22 or 23 guys out of camp, we'll still have around 4 million in free cap space.

Are we just going to look at it? Hope the 4 million laces them up and helps salvage our questionable D? Maybe the 4 million can play center and make up for the lackluster ~65 points that Gomez and Eller will combine for.

Lets be real here, we could even have ~5 million in free space if we go with 21 players out of camp. There's no point in having that much cap space lying around, because with just 2 million in free space to start the year you're looking at having enough room by deadline day to add a 6 million dollar player. But we never do anything on d-day anyways so what's the point.

And save me the Subban+Price 2012 re-up argument. Gill and Spacek leaving frees up more than 6 million which is more than enough to cover Subban and Price's raise. Factor in the potential for another increase in the cap and Gomez's disappearance (if Management stops cheaping out and gets their head screwed on straight) and 2012 isn't a problem in the least.

So what gives for this year?
What to do this year?
Spend it on a replacement for Markov. Again.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnk View Post
What to do this year?
Spend it on a replacement for Markov. Again.
Even if Markov gets injured, that doesn't erase the $4m in cap space that we would still have. If Markov gets injured, we get his cap space back, I'm sure any replacement out there will be making the same or less than Markov.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
A couple of reasons:

1) A top 6 forward is not as easily within reach and takes assets to acquire. This is also why the at-the-deadline approach is an expensive route to take year after year.

2) the depth player is plan B and protects against the injuries to existing top 6 forwards.
And what if Price was injured (god forbid)? Madden wouldn't be much help then. We have more players who could fill a depth role at forward or defense than we have depth in goal. I still think Gauthier is wise to keep that $4 million for an emergency or to fill a role that didn't turn out as expected.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:22 AM
capnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Even if Markov gets injured, that doesn't erase the $4m in cap space that we would still have. If Markov gets injured, we get his cap space back, I'm sure any replacement out there will be making the same or less than Markov.
Might need more than one guy to replace him.
Anyway my post was a bit tongue in cheek after yesterday's news.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Gally11

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375800

Tyler Mylers apparently getting big payday.. I guess PK going to be a lot more expensive than we thought.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post

Tyler Mylers apparently getting big payday.. I guess PK going to be a lot more expensive than we thought.
Well, yeah, if you're signing him for seven years....

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Well, yeah, if you're signing him for seven years....
Which us exactly what weshoyld e doing..... Secure him for a looong time. It's now proven after last summer that trading long contracts is not as difficult as anticipated and we don't have to worry every 2-3 years that we are going to lose him.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:08 AM
ibeleaf98*

Subban seems like the real deal, but 7 years is too long for any player. You never know if a player will change, maybe from injuries or just attitude. The league is scattered with sure thing long term contracts that now look terrible. It's a very risky gamble trying to save a few million. 4-5 years is long enough for any player.

ibeleaf98* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:12 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Which us exactly what weshoyld e doing..... Secure him for a looong time. It's now proven after last summer that trading long contracts is not as difficult as anticipated and we don't have to worry every 2-3 years that we are going to lose him.
if anything the two you're thinking of are the exception, not the rule.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:01 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Not 100% true, we get to go over the cap by the amount remaining on Markovs contract, LTIR is not retroactive, so if it takes a month to get a proper diagnosis, we lose the 1months worth of salary we're allowed to temporarily add to the camp until Markov returns.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:06 AM
yianik

In terms of the Cap space, do nothing, for now. If we are free of injuries to any key players then we can see what is available come trade time and hopefully there is some opportunity. If not, so be it, save it.
As to Myers, that deal takes at least 2 years of UFA years from him, which you need to do when signing your RFAs to long term deals, so that is good. In todays Cap its no deal for the Sabres but if the Cap keeps going up then it will be, assuming Myers keeps performing. For Pk, Id prefer to sign him to a 2 year deal ( just to give both him and the team a better idea of what he brings to the table) after his entry level expires and then sign him to a 5-7 year deal.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
There simply isn't anything to spend the money on. Arpon Basu wrote about it a few days ago too, but I don't see any FA that bring anything more than what we don't have. I have a feeling though, that PG plans on adding a right handed center for the 4th line, unless they feel that Engqvist is good enough, specially on faceoffs.
Gauthier has enough centers in Hamilton and Engqvist proved his value for the Bulldogs in the playoffs last year,taking important faceoffs and on the PK.I think he will get some serious looks at the NHL game this season.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post

Every summer this old boy shakes his head once or twice but this is insane.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Trading long term contracts isn't hard as long as the player is playing up to the contract...

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gauthier's such an imbecile..
How is Gauthier an imbecile? He's made a ton of schrewd moves since becoming GM.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Nobody is worth 7 years. In today's nhl, every one is subject to big injuries. Not worth it, even 6 is a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How is Gauthier an imbecile? He's made a ton of schrewd moves since becoming GM.
I was sarcastic..

Last edited by hototogisu: 09-15-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: merge
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:47 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Last year we had no cap space and everyone *****ed at Gauthier for it citing Gomez as a problem.

This year we have cap space and everyone still *****es at Gauthier for not spending it.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

This.

IMO...They should sit on the cap space incase of injuries...

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
neofury*

I don't see how Gauthier is an imbecile when we all know Calgary will be out of it by deadline and Iginla will finally want out if they are doing a rebuild. Given his age he isn't going to wait around. It's been the plan all along

Quote:
Nobody is worth 7 years. In today's nhl, every one is subject to big injuries. Not worth it, even 6 is a stretch.

I was sarcastic..
Not disagreeing if these team was say... the Florida Panthers. But being that we're Montreal we can put like 20 million on LTIR easily and not break a sweat. Obviously owners wouldn't be pleased but in terms of being a competitive team we'd be more competitive when the injuries aren't a problem and it wouldn't affect us nearly as badly if we did get those injuries you talk about. Say Subban even has a career ending injury, he's off the cap and we could easily sign a UFA. Not saying Subban's are a dime a dozen but we could replace him with a decent enough player to still remain competitive or if worst comes to worst a bubble team.

At that point though you could just rebuild to offset the money wasted on injured players and by the time you're back on track it isn't a worry.

For teams like Montreal imo signing a guy like Subban to an 7-10 year deal makes sense. He doesn't strike me as a Theodore or guy who would regress to the point of being a Redden. I'd say his value would always be at least close to worth it, like I said if he gets a career ending injury its off the cap, if he can still play... well then he can still contribute.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:41 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Not 100% true, we get to go over the cap by the amount remaining on Markovs contract, LTIR is not retroactive, so if it takes a month to get a proper diagnosis, we lose the 1months worth of salary we're allowed to temporarily add to the camp until Markov returns.
I'm pretty sure LTIR is retroactive because you can't qualify for it for at least 10 days, then it's retro to your last game played. I'm on my phone, so i'm not 100% but I'm fairly certain.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote