HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/14 - Young Stars - Game 3 - Canucks (5) vs Sharks (3)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-15-2011, 08:45 AM
  #151
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
Hodgson DID get slack from Canuck fans....are you seriously denying that? I'm saying Hodgson deserved that slack because we know what his injury was....Prab Rai missed ALL OF LAST SEASON...due to injury.....follow me? If you can't understand what I mean by saying "give a guy some slack who missed an entire season while injured"...then there's nothing left to say i guess.
I'll deny that. When Hodgson didn't meet the lofty expectations at training camp, there was a vocal group ready to use Hodgson as trade bait throughout the year despite him not being fully healthy. Some canuck posters even questioned if he would be an NHL player. I have defended Hodgson and his skating in no less than 5 different threads throughout the year. He didn't get a lot of slack. THATS what I'm saying.

Other prospects in this camp like Rodin and connauton haven't gotten a lot of slack either. Each have had their share of criticism despite rodin still recoverying from his shoulder injury. No one is getting a free pass just like rai isnt. But should he and others injured be afforded some leniency? Yes.

Believe it or not, I just agreed with you. I just don't think others in the past and present have been afforded the kind of leniency you are looking for either.


Last edited by thefeebster: 09-15-2011 at 08:51 AM.
thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:07 AM
  #152
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I'll deny that. When Hodgson didn't meet the lofty expectations at training camp, there was a vocal group ready to use Hodgson as trade bait throughout the year despite him not being fully healthy. Some canuck posters even questioned if he would be an NHL player. I have defended Hodgson and his skating in no less than 5 different threads throughout the year. He didn't get a lot of slack. THATS what I'm saying.

Other prospects in this camp like Rodin and connauton haven't gotten a lot of slack either. Each have had their share of criticism despite rodin still recoverying from his shoulder injury. No one is getting a free pass just like rai isnt. But should he and others injured be afforded some leniency? Yes.

Believe it or not, I just agreed with you. I just don't think others in the past and present have been afforded the kind of leniency you are looking for either.
The thing is, in this fanbase there are very vocal elements who take stances on either side of every debate. Some say Hodgson is going to be great, others think not so much. Some love Luongo, some really don't like him. Some think the Sedins are chokers that we shouldn't build around, others think they are perfect for this franchise. For almost every opinion on this board you will find an opposing opinion. It's difficult to find a real consensus. So Hodgson did get slack from a number of people (including myself) and he got no slack from others.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:10 AM
  #153
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
^ This is one area though where people were just acting stupid.

Luongo and the Sedins, everyone gets on their cases, but with Hodgson people were questioning his hockey drive, thinking he was a prima donna that wanted nothing to do with the Org. It reached weird levels.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
  #154
whoshouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

The only player i think that has flew under the radar for "hate" would be Grenier; hasn't impressed me much at all, invisible 80% of the time until he stands in front of the net to screen the goalie.
I took notice of Grenier in his first game but perhaps that was because he was with better linemates. His second game I barely noticed him at all. To me, if he can increase his agility and quickness it would give him more of a presence on the ice. He's still extremely "raw" and doesn't protect the puck well enough considering his size. I was expecting a lot more out of him this tournament. Hopefully he dominates the Q this season because I thought he could be a real sleeper in last years draft.

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:50 AM
  #155
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
Hopefully he dominates the Q this season because I thought he could be a real sleeper in last years draft.
Same here. He is a bit of a project, and I don't see him making the Canucks for another 3 to 4 years (based on what he has shown so far). But then again, power forwards have historically taken longer to develop.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:51 AM
  #156
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,466
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ This is one area though where people were just acting stupid.

Luongo and the Sedins, everyone gets on their cases, but with Hodgson people were questioning his hockey drive, thinking he was a prima donna that wanted nothing to do with the Org. It reached weird levels.
It did reach absurd levels. What Rai has gone through is even worse than what Hodgson has endured, the difference is that there were virtually no expectations of Rai to begin with, whereas Hodgson was a Top 10 pick who was thought by many to be a surefire NHL star, and soon at that.

Glad to see Rai is healthy and skating well. I have a feeling he'll start in the ECHL, but hopefully things improve from there.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:13 AM
  #157
Mitts McCann
Registered User
 
Mitts McCann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Because you said he would have a long look at THIS camp. That's what is the point of contention. He is nowhere close to getting a long look with 8 NHL defensemen and 3 prospect defensemen better than him.

You assume his development is on a direct slope upwards; in one year in the AHL, his defense has arguably remained the same. There is no guarantee that it will improve "drastically" in 2 years and there is no guarantee he will make the team in 2 years or even 4. It can and he can improve, but to have no doubt in your mind, i think is a bit absurd if you watch him for an extended period of time (aka more than a prospects tourney or a handful of AHL games).


Who has gotten excuses made for them? Hodgson certainly didn't last pre-season despite a well publicized injury; several people were slinging out the bust labels and throwing away their Godson banners.
Wow.....He's definitely improved from the start of last year to this season.

Mitts McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
  #158
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
It did reach absurd levels. What Rai has gone through is even worse than what Hodgson has endured, the difference is that there were virtually no expectations of Rai to begin with, whereas Hodgson was a Top 10 pick who was thought by many to be a surefire NHL star, and soon at that.

Glad to see Rai is healthy and skating well. I have a feeling he'll start in the ECHL, but hopefully things improve from there.
Exactly.

I hope Rai doesn't get discouraged by going to the ECHL.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:55 AM
  #159
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,214
vCash: 500
I think that we all tend to be impatient with prospects. When we look at what happened with Kesler, the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Grabner, Schneider etc etc, we should start to realize that there is no single progression for prospects. They all take a different path getting to the NHL and becoming successful. What we whould be looking for is progress every year. For example, I'd be very happy of Schroeder has a strong consistent year in Chicago this year. Connauton needs to improve on his defence this year and if he shows good improvement then we should be happy with that. When a prospect stops progressing for reasons other than injury then I think there is legitimate cause for concern.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.