HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Teubert's nose knows?

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2011, 08:11 AM
alphahelix

vCash: 500
I'll jump in the middle... Poor Colten has been vaguely pathetic on the fighting front...I've seen him "draw" against a lot of lesser opponents (although I've never seen him lose like this).
At least when Souray would make the poor decision to jump in, he would only be injured by smashing his own hand on the other guys face. Its too bad the Boogaard fighting camp in Saskatchewan is now outside the realm of possibility... Sad summer.

Old
09-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Is he NHL ready tough?

Looks like another guy that gets injured too much.

Kind of fitting I guess that he missed almost all of the tournament and gets injured so far any time he plays anywhere for the Oiler org. 2 AHL Playoff games last year then promptly injured. 2 periods so far this year then promptly injured.

Yeah, you know I'm not impressed.

Because frankly, What Teubert did in the first game of the prospects tourney was monumentally stupid.
Up 7-1 in a meaningless game, in the 3rd period, and he STARTS a fight that quickly goes horribly wrong and ends up with him having a broken nose/face/concussion or possible all of the above. Kind of weird that a guy that shouldn't even be in this game(he should be exempt from a prospects game by now)ends up looking green.

Not only did he get a Class A bell ringing and look like a complete amateur in the fight he outweighs, outreaches, and had a height advantage over his opponent, Polasek. Plus he's a year and a half older and one would like to think brighter.

Except I doubt thats the case.

This is Sheldon Souray stupid. Without the skill.

Not writing him off but sure doesn't look good at this point.
You & I aren't fans of goons in hockey. Thats beside the point here.

You should pretty much have your man card suspended for 1 week because of this post.

First of all, Tubes' was going pretty good in this particular fight. He's never going to be revered as a premium scrapper....but...he landed some good shots and he knows what he is doing.

Secondly, broken noses are part of the deal and frankly....no big deal.

And as far as the score at the time of the game goes....think about it this way, Replacement, he's got 2 games (at the most) to show what he can do in rookie camp and maybe as little as a half dozen opportunities (SHIFTS) to go with a guy 'in his weight class'. Thats the way it works. You don't have the luxury of shutting down just because the game is in hand. Scores don't matter between now and regular season.

That being said....he would be well served to take the damage toll seriously and realize if its going to be part of HIS game going forward....he needs to develop his defence techniques a little more...by making a commitment to get his opponnets arm tied up BEFORE he starts the chainsaw.

Old
09-15-2011, 08:55 AM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Replacement, i like ya but when you dislike a player which you clearly do in Teubert's case going back to the "Alpha Male" stuff at the summer camp, you really like to beat that drum over and over again.
I highly doubt that getting clocked by a lucky shot in a fairly meaningless prospects tournament is a reason to get all worked up about his NHL ready toughness. The guy did get right up after getting his nose broken so i would say that is showing some level of toughness, no?

Last edited by CupofOil: 09-15-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old
09-15-2011, 09:39 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Sometimes you lose fights.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Pennertration

One thing that hasn't really been highlighted is whether or not Teubert was standing up for himself or a teammate in that fight, ie, I'm not sure if something happened earlier in the shift or the game to precipitate it. Or perhaps these two have a history in some other sense that we're unaware of.

More likely, I think he was just trying to impress. That has been discussed here. IMO, the score doesn't factor into the timing of the fight, given what type of tourney it is. As for technique and how he performed in the fight, I'm sure he'll get some advice on that from his coaching staff.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that with fighting in prospect tournaments and preseason hockey, it's not always about whether you win the fight or how you perform in it. A lot of times it's just showing the team - and at times your opponents - that you're fearless and that you are willing to take a beating from time to time rather than constantly shy away from the rough stuff. You can debate whether that's silly or not, but that's the way it is right now.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Pennertration

Just following up, I think this thread is much ado

Old
09-15-2011, 10:07 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
I don't understand why this thread wasn't made on Sunday if it was such a big issue. Guys get tagged from time to time, big deal.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I understand your frustration Replacement. But come on just be patient for TC.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't understand why this thread wasn't made on Sunday if it was such a big issue. Guys get tagged from time to time, big deal.
Because Replacement takes a few days to gather his emotions. Also remember the other thread where he was pissed because the game was in a ****** time slot and he missed it.

Also I'm pretty sure that if Polly Pocket had that kind of shot on Teubert his now would have got broken. Happens when you leave yourself open. Put the shield on, carry on and learn from your mistakes. The kid will be fine.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:12 AM
clayton magnet

This is completely off topic and I apologize to the OP. But can someone tell me how to put an image on an html so that I can use it as an aviater?

Old
09-15-2011, 10:19 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Because Replacement takes a few days to gather his emotions. Also remember the other thread where he was pissed because the game was in a ****** time slot and he missed it.

Also I'm pretty sure that if Polly Pocket had that kind of shot on Teubert his now would have got broken. Happens when you leave yourself open. Put the shield on, carry on and learn from your mistakes. The kid will be fine.
I don't know if replacement has a Teubert bias or not, but as an outsider I can tell you the bolded section is part of why replacement made this thread. He's not learning from his mistakes. He leaves himself open all time and has shown a distinct pattern/style for putting himself in danger.

I actually like Teubs as a player but if he isn't careful he's going to become the defensive version of Jeff Cowan.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:21 AM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
//Breaking//

Young and inexperienced NHL prospect makes questionable choice during meaningless pre-season game in hopes of impressing coaching staff.

In other news, water described as "wet".

More at 11...

//Breaking//

Old
09-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I don't know if replacement has a Teubert bias or not, but as an outsider I can tell you the bolded section is part of why replacement made this thread. He's not learning from his mistakes. He leaves himself open all time and has shown a distinct pattern/style for putting himself in danger.

I actually like Teubs as a player but if he isn't careful he's going to become the defensive version of Jeff Cowan.
Fair enough but I'm not too worried at this point.

Yes Replacement does have a Teubert bias. He freaked out last year when he was a healthy scratch for the Barons first playoff game.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:30 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Fair enough but I'm not too worried at this point.

Yes Replacement does have a Teubert bias. He freaked out last year when he was a healthy scratch for the Barons first playoff game.
But wouldn't that mean that he is a fan of Teubs? Or did he freak out on Teubs for playing himself into a position to be scratched?

I think another part of this is(I'm thinking back to the "Why don't players pick up the puck more" thread), is that if Colten was a forward coming in on a breakaway or has a great scoring chance and decides to try and pull some Schremp move and completely blows it, it would be akin to this situation(If Teubs wasn't provoked by a cheapshot).

Old
09-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
But wouldn't that mean that he is a fan of Teubs? Or did he freak out on Teubs for playing himself into a position to be scratched?

I think another part of this is(I'm thinking back to the "Why don't players pick up the puck more" thread), is that if Colten was a forward coming in on a breakaway or has a great scoring chance and decides to try and pull some Schremp move and completely blows it, it would be akin to this situation(If Teubs wasn't provoked by a cheapshot).
No he was freaking out in the sense that management are a bunch of idiots and made a ****** trade as they traded for a **** d-man that's a healthy scratch. Fact is he was healthy scratched because management decided to go with more veterans and also probably chose to go with Plante over Teubert(god only knows why). However once Teubert got into that series he played lights out.

Like I said it was a rookie tournament. Hopefully he doesn't have a concussion and if so, oh well it's out of my control. Kids definitely gotta learn when to pick his spots but I'm not writing him off, this is something he's gonna have to learn from the vets and coaches.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Eirhead*

Honestly... I've never been one to be in the no-fighting camp before. But Antti Tyrvainen convinced me, last night, that it should be removed from the NHL. That fight was like watching GSP punish a drunken bar clown for insulting his family. We have MMA, we don't need good hockey players losing all their brain cells (and getting stupid injuries Hall, Staios, Souray etc.) from getting their heads smashed in relentlessly.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Wretched Oil

vCash: 50
Colton played well and would have been praised for his play, except he loses a fight and now he's a dog.

He wins the fight and he's classless.

I am doing this right?

Old
09-15-2011, 10:42 AM
AndyPipkin

^ Any video of the fight, PRV?

While I agree with you a lot of people believe that no fighting will heavily increase cheap shots and stick work. Much like how women's hockey has a stick work problem.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Eirhead*

Quote:
^ Any video of the fight, PRV?

While I agree with you a lot of people believe that no fighting will heavily increase cheap shots and stick work. Much like how women's hockey has a stick work problem.
The much more abbreviated video on the front page of http://tsn.ca/nhl has the fight if you don't want to check out all the highlights on http://oilers.nhl.tv

Old
09-15-2011, 10:47 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrV View Post
The much more abbreviated video on the front page of http://tsn.ca/nhl has the fight if you don't want to check out all the highlights on http://oilers.nhl.tv
Wow, note to self: Do not pi$$ Tyrvainen off.

OT: Does Tyrvainen have a shot at the bottom 6? I've been super impressed with is play.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Wow, note to self: Do not pi$$ Tyrvainen off.

OT: Does Tyrvainen have a shot at the bottom 6? I've been super impressed with is play.
Hahaha

Ya, would NOT want to mess with him.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:58 AM
bardfromedson

when you decide to throw bombs back and forth this sort of thing happens. if it went the other way which it could of easily happened he would be being praised. taking one off the nose should not bring into question your toughness, durability or heart. was it smart? mabe not the greatest timing but he is there to showcase his skillset and be a leader by exampe. i praise him for the way he sat in the pocket and threw nothing but ko punches. if you want him to be an invisable stay at home type and fight like stortini then i think you will be in the minority. colton i praise your effort.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The GDT threads were closed by the time I got to it. The PGT was closed. There really was no thread to post this in that wasn't closed.

Anyway the chorus here in response seems to be "everybody loses fights". Which wasn't the point. That he chose a time like that to fight was more the point. Plus that he's not nearly as good a fighter as he thinks he is.

For those defending his action. Tell me what it accomplished for the player. What did it accomplish for the org re: seeing the player in action at this tourney?

I'll be back later in the day to see the comments describing how important it was for Colton to start that fight while leading 7-1 in a meaningless game. Sure taught that guy a lesson.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-15-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old
09-15-2011, 11:06 AM
bardfromedson

when you decide to throw bombs back and forth this sort of thing happens. if it went the other way which it could of easily happened he would be being praised. taking one off the nose should not bring into question your toughness, durability or heart. was it smart? mabe not the greatest timing but he is there to showcase his skillset and be a leader by example. i praise him for the way he sat in the pocket and threw nothing but ko punches. if you want him to be an invisable stay at home type and fight like stortini then i think you will be in the minority. colton i praise your effort.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:17 AM
AndyPipkin

^ I don't think it brings into question his toughness or heart at all. Durability on the other hand...

Hmm a few here have mentioned replacements views regarding a prospect video of Teubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I remember his Kings Vision interview at his draft. Absolutely radiating arrogance; I'm talking Chris Pronger-level dickishness.
Kings fans seems to be in agreement that he should not be fighting.

Colten has most of the tools to be a good defender he just got to start making better decisions with and without the puck. That being said he was playing pretty good there before the fight.

Closed Thread