HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Teubert's nose knows?

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The GDT threads were closed by the time I got to it. The PGT was closed. There really was no thread to post this in that wasn't closed.

Anyway the chorus here in response seems to be "everybody loses fights". Which wasn't the point. That he chose a time like that to fight was more the point. Plus that he's not nearly as good a fighter as he thinks he is.

For those defending his action. Tell me what it accomplished for the player. What did it accomplish for the org re: seeing the player in action at this tourney?

I'll be back later in the day to see the comments describing how important it was for Colton to start that fight while leading 7-1 in a meaningless game. Sure taught that guy a lesson.
How has it hurt is what I ask you?

Old
09-15-2011, 11:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
when you decide to throw bombs back and forth this sort of thing happens. if it went the other way which it could of easily happened he would be being praised. taking one off the nose should not bring into question your toughness, durability or heart. was it smart? mabe not the greatest timing but he is there to showcase his skillset and be a leader by example. i praise him for the way he sat in the pocket and threw nothing but ko punches. if you want him to be an invisable stay at home type and fight like stortini then i think you will be in the minority. colton i praise your effort.
Pretty much. Don't hear too much complaining about Tyrvainen yesterday.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
The GDT threads were closed by the time I got to it. The PGT was closed. There really was no thread to post this in that wasn't closed.

Anyway the chorus here in response seems to be "everybody loses fights". Which wasn't the point. That he chose a time like that to fight was more the point. Plus that he's not nearly as good a fighter as he thinks he is.

For those defending his action. Tell me what it accomplished for the player. What did it accomplish for the org re: seeing the player in action at this tourney?

I'll be back later in the day to see the comments describing how important it was for Colton to start that fight while leading 7-1 in a meaningless game. Sure taught that guy a lesson.
I will say it again....in training camps & pre-season scenarios...players aren't picking spots the same way they do in a regular season game.

Its really got nothing to do with the scoreboard. Its all about who your on the ice with at a given time.

Teubert may not be a great fighter...but...he feels it needs to be part of his game and he's got to go with tough guys in order to show a willingness.

Thats all he was doing.

I don't think much of him as a player. He isn't making the team this year...but...thats neither here nor there.

If nothing else...that fight might have taught him a key lesson(s) about being more defensive when he fights.

Or maybe...it was just a pretty good scrap (which it was) and the only way he was going to get noticed?

Bottom line...there is NO prescribed code about when & when not to fight in a per-season game such as this.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How has it hurt is what I ask you?
Well at this point its indefinite how long he's out. But he got smoked on that punch and not a good idea to be eating them like that and he's left himself open often enough in fights before.

If this is a concussion, and it could well be, clearly it hurts Colberts prospects.

Wouldn't it be worse for me to wait till that point and then say "yep, I knew that was stupid".
I'm saying it now before full results are in. Does one have to wait to see the full injury ramifications before criticizing the decision?

Old
09-15-2011, 11:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well at this point its indefinite how long he's out. But he got smoked on that punch and not a good idea to be eating them like that and he's left himself open often enough in fights before.

If this is a concussion, and it could well be, clearly it hurts Colberts prospects.

Wouldn't it be worse for me to wait till that point and then say "yep, I knew that was stupid".
I'm saying it now before full results are in. Does one have to wait to see the full injury ramifications before criticizing the decision?
Well from what Gregor said no concussion. So you really are making things a lot bigger than they are, but this is normal in Oil country.

Maybe it's a lesson to him? Better a young guy then some 6'4 230lb NHLer.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Bryan, this sentence to me shows we're not as far off on this as you might think.

My whole take was that Teubert should play his aces and play some solid D, throw some of his hits, and be generally tough out there as we know he can be(and especially against younger players)

But he didn't play to his strength. He maybe thinks fighting is his strength. It really isn't.
Who said that he thinks that fighting is his strength? Maybe he just wanted to show that he's willing to drop 'em? Were you one of the ones that crapped on Stortini's pugilistic skills? The kid needs to work on it, that we can agree on, however look at Orr last year, he got popped by Engeland, it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
There's a difference between being a ridiculous spot picker like Bieksa and starting pointless fights up 6 goals. If Teubert had just layed out one of the Canucks and then Polasek challenged him to man-up, then I'd have no problem with it.

I just think he was trying to prove how tough he is, and real tough guys don't need to prove it. Let alone in a runaway game.

He had 9 fights all of last year, he's not some shrinking violet. He's a known commodity.
Horton had 9 fights? IIRC they said that it was his 3rd fight of the year when he fought Peckham?

As for needing to prove how tough he is do you really think that toughness isn't a major part of his game going forward? What's going to get him to the NHL his rushes up ice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well from what Gregor said no concussion. So you really are making things a lot bigger than they are, but this is normal in Oil country.

Maybe it's a lesson to him? Better a young guy then some 6'4 230lb NHLer.
Glad that he's symptom free, that said he needs to work on his defense or at least pick his spots.

09-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Joe Hallenback

Hockey is going to become a real neutered sport in the future I am thinking

Old
09-15-2011, 12:51 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Sometimes you just get hit on the button, whether it's behind the ear or square between the eyes, the lights go out regardless of how good or bad a fighter you are.

I don't think it reflects poorly on Teurbert at all...also size has little to do with fighting prowess.

Old
09-15-2011, 12:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Who said that he thinks that fighting is his strength? Maybe he just wanted to show that he's willing to drop 'em? Were you one of the ones that crapped on Stortini's pugilistic skills? The kid needs to work on it, that we can agree on, however look at Orr last year, he got popped by Engeland, it happens.

Horton had 9 fights? IIRC they said that it was his 3rd fight of the year when he fought Peckham?

As for needing to prove how tough he is do you really think that toughness isn't a major part of his game going forward? What's going to get him to the NHL his rushes up ice?

Glad that he's symptom free, that said he needs to work on his defense or at least pick his spots.
I have to ask about the whole picking his spot better. Why was it a bad spot? I don't know what his intentions were, but if they were to show that he will drop them from time to time why is it bad at the end of a 7-1 game?

Old
09-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Joe Hallenback

Teubert was a spot picker in the WHL. He isn't Cameron Abney tough but he was crazy enough to go nuts on guys who weren't exactly tough to begin with and that made him real hard to play against and really hated as well.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

One question:

Does a pop in the nose negate a fairly solid game for any Oiler this year, or is this honour being bestowed on Teubert alone this season?

Old
09-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
One question:

Does a pop in the nose negate a fairly solid game for any Oiler this year, or is this honour being bestowed on Teubert alone this season?
Like everything. It depends on who's the audience.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
One question:

Hey now, we're Oilers fans - all kinds of inane stuff can do that!

Old
09-15-2011, 01:43 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

As stated earlier in the thread, Polasek had went after RNH.

Teubert was sending a message and he obviously underestimated the 6'3'' 205lb Czech.

It wasn't the smartest thing in hindsight, knowing how tough Polasek is, but it's far from "Souray stupid".

Old
09-15-2011, 01:57 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
still mad penner got traded lol
Maybe he's still paying it forward since Penner was brought in to replace Smyth.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
By this logic, if I'm following correctly, because of breaking Smack's face Eric Goddard is the toughest player in the NHL, Right?

Old
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Cawz

Quote:

What does the score have to do with anything? Nobody cares about the score of the game.

If it was indeed in response to the player trying to run our new star #1 pick, then it is quite important, as captain, to stand up to him. No one will remember the score, but people will remember that the captain stood up for his star player. The fact that he got tagged sucked, but would you rather him do nothing instead?

Old
09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
What does the score have to do with anything? Nobody cares about the score of the game.

If it was indeed in response to the player trying to run our new star #1 pick, then it is quite important, as captain, to stand up to him. No one will remember the score, but people will remember that the captain stood up for his star player. The fact that he got tagged sucked, but would you rather him do nothing instead?
Doing nothing is what Petiot did in the game that Hall got hurt too.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Just as a general comment about the fighting timing thing. There is a code. Generally fighters don't pick fights when the game is decided in your favor or when your team is in front a couple goals. Usually its the losing team that will have an enforcer trying to "kickstart" some emotion.

I'm not making this up. There is generally a script for when an enforcer type player will/won't fight. In addition theres some usual common sense albeit in Oiler ranks very hard to see.

What Colton did is stupid. But theres really few people on the club, or in the org, that would point that out. So do to that we get ongoing behavior on the ice that doesn't make sense.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Yeah, as you know I'd like to see less, not more, fighting in hockey in general. But typically the kind that don't occur in the moment. Nothing happened on the shift in question. Colton I guess had fight on the menu for whatever happened before. I didn't catch anything involving RNH that required responding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post

If one buys that theres a deterrent value in this in todays NHL then its meaningful. I don't buy it. Teams will have players that target your players regardless of what you do. The trick as always is to have a PP that will punish the transgression. I really don't think deterrence works in todays NHL.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Everest

Quote:
Just as a general comment about the fighting timing thing. There is a code. Generally fighters don't pick fights when the game is decided in your favor or when your team is in front a couple goals. Usually its the losing team that will have an enforcer trying to "kickstart" some emotion.I'm not making this up. There is generally a script for when an enforcer type player will/won't fight. In addition theres some usual common sense albeit in Oiler ranks very hard to see.

What Colton did is stupid. But theres really few people on the club, or in the org, that would point that out. So do to that we get ongoing behavior on the ice that doesn't make sense.
For the 3rd time, your using the regular season 'code' and trying to make sense of a rookie camp game.

The purpose(s) are different. Completley different.

Teubert's trying to win a roster spot...or...at the very least....move up the depth chart.

Granted, doing things to help win the game would serve the purpose....but....when a pre-season game gets out of hand on the scoreboard (as they often do) you can't be tihnking "Ok...just cruise control it to the buzzer here....nice safe landing..."

Nope.

You gotta go hard, keep pushing and keep looking for ways to impress.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
For the 3rd time, your using the regular season 'code' and trying to make sense of a rookie camp game.

The purpose(s) are different. Completley different.

Teubert's trying to win a roster spot...or...at the very least....move up the depth chart.
Granted, doing things to help win the game would serve the purpose....but....when a pre-season game gets out of hand on the scoreboard (as they often do) you can't be tihnking "Ok...just cruise control it to the buzzer here....nice safe landing..."

Nope.

You gotta go hard, keep pushing and keep looking for ways to impress.
Well of course. But it goes hand in hand that a player would do the things most likely to move him up the chart. I doubt this is it. As I've stated fighting isn't his ace in a hole.
Teuberts fighting is unlikely to impress.

Old
09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Everest

Quote:
Well of course. But it goes hand in hand that a player would do the things most likely to move him up the chart. I doubt this is it. As I've stated fighting isn't his ace in a hole.
He's got some work to do. He's just not a strong player. I don't think the fight hurt his chances at all...but...he doesn't have anything to lose. Really.

Old
09-15-2011, 03:09 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Management won't be looking to see how well he fights.

They'll be looking to see his willingness to fight and stand up for teammates.

Old
09-15-2011, 03:28 PM
OilerFanatic88

Quote:
Are you really bored enough to start a thread of paragraph after paragraph saying that Teubert isn't a good fighter? He fought, and happened to break his nose. Tough luck... I don't get what you are trying to say here?

Closed Thread