HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Lander and RNH made the team.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Are you really convinced that Gagner is a better option at 2C than RNH? What exactly does Gagner do better than RNH? Is he better offensively? Defensively? Faceoffs? Stronger on the puck? Passing? Shooting? Maybe he's a better shooter... maybe. I'm not trying to bash Gagner, I'm just asking the question.
I'm a huge RNH fan but he has been garbage on faceoffs so far this camp. That's probably the only thing that I give Gagner over him, that and experience. That said IMO RNH's learning curve should be pretty quick.

09-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trufflepig View Post
Honestly, I cant speak to RNH's abilities because I've only seen him in the one game against Vancouver. That being said he did not look that overwhelming to me, aside from a couple of nice plays (that steal from the goalie for an easy tap in was sick). I dont doubt he will be better than Gagner, however at the moment he has 3 less seasons of experience than Gagner does. He is physically lighter than Gagner, and frankly I think that Gags has a good season this year. Do I think that this is how the lines would finish at the end of the year? Maybe not, however as a raw rookie I dont think I want to see RNH going head to head with someone like Burns in SJ or Doughty in LA. This is all obviously pre-cursed by the fact that I really don't think he makes the team this year.
But he looks stronger than Gagner did last year, I emphasize last year because to be fair I haven't seen him play this year, but unless the 5th time is the charm, RNH is already the stronger player.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Give Lander some AHL time to start off, get used to Hartakainnen and some of those guys and have them ready for next year!

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Chef10

Omark in the minors i dont see that happening personally, he is just too good to be down there!

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

If RNH and Lander make the team, I would imagine Gagner to be moved to the wing, preferably RW.

But like BBO said, RNH hasn't been lights out on the faceoffs, perhaps this year, Gagner could improve his faceoffs tremendously, it can happen and I believe it will happen!

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:03 AM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Brule-RNH-Hemsky
Smyth-Belanger-Paajarvi
Omark-Lander-Ganger
No Goons=

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Chayos

If Both players made the team I am sure one would be moved to the wing.

Hall Gagner Eberle
Smyth Horcoff Hemsky
MPS Lander Omark
RNH Belanger Jones

Eager, Hordichuk

Given our injury issues the last few years I think that space would open up for RNH pretty early in the top 3 lines. He would be wasted on the 4th line, but I like the idea of having some Grit playing with him.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Hemsky4PM

The best thing for the team would actually be for Brule to show up and play extremely well. Ditto Gagner.

That would give Lander a nice AHL/NHL development season and perhaps RNH a year dominating the dub and starring at the WJHC.

Brule and Gagner would then be tradeable or assets worth keeping.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Unless Brule bombs in training camp, I just don't see Lander making the team right away...and my gut says Brule is going to have a bounce back year and be an effective 4th liner.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Brule make the team solely for contract reasons. I think Lander is already a smarter hockey player and will prove himself better then Brule in short order.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:01 AM
rockinghockey

Gagne and Horc will be our 1 and 2 centreman. Horc will play with Hall and Eberle to give some leadership and a defensive responsible player on that line. Gagner will look nice with Smyth and Hemsky. There is going to be no room for Lander and RNH will go back to the Dub for one more season.
Smyth; Gagner; Hemsky
Hall; Horc; Eberle
PRV; Belanger; Omark
Eager; Brule; Jones

Here is to hoping that Brule has a good year so they can at least get a 2nd for him and Jones does also so that he has some trade value to other teams. That will make room for Harti and VV for the bottom line and when one of the top 3 centreman goes down Lander will be the first call up.

Last edited by rockinghockey: 09-15-2011 at 03:09 AM.
rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:06 AM
MessierII

Hall Horcoff Eberle
Smyth RNH Hemsky
Paajarvi Belanger Gagner
Eager Lander Jones

Omark/Brule traded

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:08 AM
MessierII

Personally I don't think either make it though

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:13 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Personally I don't think either make it though
I agree with you that neither player makes the team. I think it's the best for both of them to have one more year to develop; yes Lander rocked in the rookies tournament but that is the rookies tournament. I always thought PRV would of been better off starting in the AHL.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:34 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan1989 View Post
im not sure if lander would slide into the #3 center spot right away. I think he'll have to out play belanger to snake that spot from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky (hard minutes line)
Hall-Belanger-Eberle
Pajaarvi-Gagner-Omark (soft minutes line)
Eager-Lander-Jones
Hordichuk, Brule
I've got a friend who's originally a Jets fan and constantly followed the Coyotes after the Jets left town and he says there's no way Belanger will play top 6 minutes in Edmonton because his conditioning sucks. I kinda have a feeling I should trust him on that.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
I have to think that if RNH makes the team Lander is going to OKC regardless of what he does in camp. Unless of course there is injuries.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:19 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
It sucks to thing we almost don't have room for Omark. And don't forget about Harski.
I like it to be honest. At least when injuries start happening we will have some decent players to call up.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall-RNH-Eberle
PRV-Lander-Omark
Eager-Belanger-Jones

If this were to happen, I think we'll see Gagner traded for a Top Dman if Lander and RNH make it. I highly doubt both make it right aways, because Gagner would have to be absolutely brutal to even think replacing him with RNH and Lander this year.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:42 AM
CupofOil
Visualizing

There is almost no way that both make it unless there is a trade in the next couple of weeks or Gagner gets moved to wing and Brule gets injured again.

The more i think about it, the more i think that it's best for the team to have Lander at least start out the year in OKC and have RNH get a taste of the big league for 9 games and send him back to Red Deer to dominate down there and then get experience on a big stage against the best of his peers in the WJC.

RNH gaining some valuable experience down there will allow him to grow enough by next season so that he can immediately jump into a top 6 role as opposed to playing useless bottom 6 minutes this year and wasting a year of development.
Lander can be the first callup when the inevitable injury bug hits.

I like the idea of giving Gagner all the opportunity to get significant top 6 time to see if he can either break out and become a long term fixture on the team or if he can drive up his trade value so we can at least get good value for him because right now, i can't imagine us getting much of a return for him. It's sink or swim time for young Sam.

Also, to a lesser extent, the same goes for Brule who can have the opportunity to drive up his trade value so that we can at least get an asset of some kind in return for him because in reality, he's not a part of the future plans in Edmonton no matter what he does this year.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Ladra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
There is almost no way that both make it unless there is a trade in the next couple of weeks or Gagner gets moved to wing and Brule gets injured again.

The more i think about it, the more i think that it's best for the team to have Lander at least start out the year in OKC and have RNH get a taste of the big league for 9 games and send him back to Red Deer to dominate down there and then get experience on a big stage against the best of his peers in the WJC.

RNH gaining some valuable experience down there will allow him to grow enough by next season so that he can immediately jump into a top 6 role as opposed to playing useless bottom 6 minutes this year and wasting a year of development.
Lander can be the first callup when the inevitable injury bug hits.

I like the idea of giving Gagner all the opportunity to get significant top 6 time to see if he can either break out and become a long term fixture on the team or if he can drive up his trade value so we can at least get good value for him because right now, i can't imagine us getting much of a return for him. It's sink or swim time for young Sam.

Also, to a lesser extent, the same goes for Brule who can have the opportunity to drive up his trade value so that we can at least get an asset of some kind in return for him because in reality, he's not a part of the future plans in Edmonton no matter what he does this year.
Very much what you just said. And If Gagner have great year, well then we have no reason to trade him away either

Ladra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:31 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
IMO the only way RNH and Lander make the team is if we have a package deal that sends 2 or more fwds for a D man. just my opinion

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:49 AM
hockeyaddict101

There is no way I see the Oilers putting the kids together in one line this season if RNH makes it.

For one thing the centre has the heaviest defensive responsibility, a lot of pressure to put on RNH.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:20 PM
zeus3007*

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle (showed decent chemistry last year)
Smyth-RNH-Hemsky (give the kid ice time with the vets to ease him into the lineup)
Pajaarvi-Belanger-Gagner
Eager-Lander-Jones

Sorry Omark, I don't have anywhere for you in this scenario. Omark and Hordichuk would be our press boxers/injury fill ins. Brule gets sent to OKC (if unclaimed of course).

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:41 PM
iddmitch

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-RNH-Eager
Jones-Belanger-Lander/Harski

I honestly think that if RNH makes it, he has to be on a line with someone intimidating. Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, Smyth are not scary. However if Eager is on the wing and patrolling the ice to make sure the kid is alright then I think he gets more comfortable and probably settles into the NHL game. Also Eager is no slouch offensively, he has good hands and he and Smytty circling the net with RNH their to distribute the puck might work.

iddmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:12 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddmitch View Post
Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-RNH-Eager
Jones-Belanger-Lander/Harski

I honestly think that if RNH makes it, he has to be on a line with someone intimidating. Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, Smyth are not scary. However if Eager is on the wing and patrolling the ice to make sure the kid is alright then I think he gets more comfortable and probably settles into the NHL game. Also Eager is no slouch offensively, he has good hands and he and Smytty circling the net with RNH their to distribute the puck might work.
The problem with putting Eager on the line is that he IS a bit of an offensive slouch, and he's not scary either. He's got 34 goals over 323 NHL games and given RNH's tendancy to pass first, I'm not sure you want him flubbing those passes or one-timing them wide.

Smyth on the other hand has some grit as well as actual skill to back it up. A vet like him playing with Hopkins would probably the best thing I could think of for the kid right now, but if you put Eager as the other guy on the line than RNH only has one realistic option to pass to, and much like Hopkins is no Gretzky, Smyth is no Jari Kurri. MPS is bigger than Eager, and has a scoring touch. If Omark doesn't make the team, maybe start a Smyth - RNH - MPS line?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Trufflepig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
But he looks stronger than Gagner did last year, I emphasize last year because to be fair I haven't seen him play this year, but unless the 5th time is the charm, RNH is already the stronger player.
I think that its difficult to say that because we haven't seen them play the same level of competition. Gagner probably would have looked like a stud against rookie competition. I dont think anything can be said until we see RNH play against grown men.

Trufflepig is offline   Reply With Quote