HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'd really have to agree with this, I haven't tasted anything terrible.

As for the $60 cab ride, oh well my girlfriends parents are on the Westend, she can go visit them until I need a ride home, lol.

it's one of the downsides of living in sherwood park...a lot of the fun stuff happens far enough away that it empties the pocketbook real fast if a friend-ride or family-ride isn't available.

Everytime I've tried something local or regional I've only had to avoid brew styles (the thick stouts aren't my thing for instance) rather than brands. I love being able to go to the bar down the street and every draught special (all of which are from places like big rock or wild rose or okanogan springs etc.) has an option I like.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
it's one of the downsides of living in sherwood park...a lot of the fun stuff happens far enough away that it empties the pocketbook real fast if a friend-ride or family-ride isn't available.

Everytime I've tried something local or regional I've only had to avoid brew styles (the thick stouts aren't my thing for instance) rather than brands. I love being able to go to the bar down the street and every draught special (all of which are from places like big rock or wild rose or okanogan springs etc.) has an option I like.
Yeah for sure, I'm kinda opposite in that regard the darker the beer the better imo. Right now my beer fridge has mainly stouts and porters in it.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:53 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Yeah for sure, I'm kinda opposite in that regard the darker the beer the better imo.

I shoot right down the middle. I like a guiness now and again but I'm more in the newcastle or trad range of colour and flavour for what's "ideal", but I have become fond of a nice summer beer like Okanogan Spring's 1516, Wild Rose's velvet fog (that lack of filtration is incredible), Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale, Red Stripe (a guilty pleasure on a hot day), and Big Rock's Grasshopper. All of them have great flavour but are light enough to go down easy on a hot summer's day. As we get into fall and winter I'll probably switch back to Trad as my go-to beer.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

im on a newcastle kick as of late.... the more I drink the more I like. it may be the first keg in to my kegerator.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Little Fury

What's up with all the hops in craft brews these days? I thought drinking beer was supposed to be fun.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
What's up with all the hops in craft brews these days? I thought drinking beer was supposed to be fun.
Lots of brewers are hopheads. So are lots of craft beer drinkers.

It does kinda suck if you're not, I'll give you that.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Pointteen

Alright, so I'm gonna be back in Sherwood Park for this upcoming winter. I've only been really experimenting with beer since after I've been in Alberta.
What are the local breweries that I should try out? I've done everything Big Rock normally stocks.

I'm a huge Guinness and Kilkenny fan in terms of bigger names. Newcastle as well. I like a stout every so often. Not so big on IPAs, but very rarely I love having one. I'm a big fan of Paddock Wood in Saskatoon I'm pretty sure.

My favorite beer ever is a brewery in Halifax called Garrison. They make a delicious Nut Brown ale. Absolutely amazing on tap. I think that is what I miss the most about Halifax.

So if I like a good nut brown ale, what is recommended out of beer from Alberta?
Also, you guys mentioned a massive store with lots of harder to get beers in it in Edmonton, what would be recommended from there?

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
So if I like a good nut brown ale, what is recommended out of beer from Alberta?
Off the top of my head, that's a category that doesn't have a lot of standouts from anywhere, so finding an Alberta specific one is going to be tough-maybe impossible.

I liked Sierra Nevada Tumbler in that style. Dogfish Head Indian Brown was fantastic, but I haven't seen it in California for years. Rogue Hazelnut Brown is pretty damn good as well, and probably the one you'd be able to find. Check with Sherbrooke:

http://www.sherbrookeliquor.com/

edit: You'll be able to find Sam Smith's Nut Brown. I don't care for it (the water they use tastes metallic to me, and I notice it in all their beers with the exception of the Oatmeal and Imperial Stouts) but it's easy to find.

Last edited by Silver: 09-13-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
Also, you guys mentioned a massive store with lots of harder to get beers in it in Edmonton, what would be recommended from there?
It's a bit different but I'd bet that you'll be a fan of Alley Kats Amber ale or Wild Rose's Brown Ale.

Old
09-13-2011, 05:31 PM
40oz

Anyone know where I could get some good east coast beers like Olands or Garrison on the southside? (ie, not sherbrooke)

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Anyone know where I could get some good east coast beers like Olands or Garrison on the southside? (ie, not sherbrooke)
Not 100% sure but Keg n' Cork might carry those brews.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:08 PM
millax

Quote:
Also to keep up with other events regarding beer:

Sherbrooke Liquor Store presents on September 24th it's 2nd annual Shabam festival.

It's a Beer Art & Music festival that supports the Kidney Foundation. Several craft brewers in the area will be in attendance including: Alley Kat, Ambers, Yellowhead, Yukon Brewing, Wild Rose, Brewsters and Big Rock.

http://kidney.ca/Page.aspx?pid=1824
I'll be working the Alleykat booth at Shabam. I brewed a Coconut Curry Brown Ale today. Won't be ready in time for Shabam but it tasted pretty good as Wort.

Also, at Shabam I believe we are bringing along a Cask we have made up, plus we will have all of our regular beers on tap (with the exception of Ein Prosit! or Red Dragon.. Have to cut one or the other and we have yet to decide).

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Unfortunately Garrison's website says they only send theirs out to LCBO and New Brunswick.
Even then I haven't seen anything at LCBO. Hopefully it's possible to get it elsewhere and the site is out of date. If so, definitely post it. I've always got my eyes open.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Off the top of my head, that's a category that doesn't have a lot of standouts from anywhere, so finding an Alberta specific one is going to be tough-maybe impossible.

I liked Sierra Nevada Tumbler in that style. Dogfish Head Indian Brown was fantastic, but I haven't seen it in California for years. Rogue Hazelnut Brown is pretty damn good as well, and probably the one you'd be able to find. Check with Sherbrooke:

http://www.sherbrookeliquor.com/

edit: You'll be able to find Sam Smith's Nut Brown. I don't care for it (the water they use tastes metallic to me, and I notice it in all their beers with the exception of the Oatmeal and Imperial Stouts) but it's easy to find.

Alrighty. I'll definitely get to trying those out. Sherbrooke sounds like the kind of place to blow 100 dollars on.

I remember seeing some of these brewer names but never trying, so they're being added to my 'to try' list.

Quote:
It's a bit different but I'd bet that you'll be a fan of Alley Kats Amber ale or Wild Rose's Brown Ale.

Sounds awesome. Thanks. Hopefully this works out well.

I'm excited to try some more brews.

Old
09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
HighSynergy

i just load up on weihenstephanser whenever i stop by sherbrooke

HighSynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
I'll be working the Alleykat booth at Shabam. I brewed a Coconut Curry Brown Ale today. Won't be ready in time for Shabam but it tasted pretty good as Wort.

Also, at Shabam I believe we are bringing along a Cask we have made up, plus we will have all of our regular beers on tap (with the exception of Ein Prosit! or Red Dragon.. Have to cut one or the other and we have yet to decide).
Awesome good to hear dude. Deciding between those two though is like deciding between your two kids.

I'll take your word on the Coconut Curry ale, doesn't sounds promising but I do know that Full Moon pairs very well with a curry dinner so it can't be that bad. Just definitely not something common with beer(in terms of hearing it in the name).

Old
09-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSynergy View Post
I never find myself loading up on any particular beer when I'm there, there are far too many beers there to just pick one or two kinds and load up.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:25 PM
OiledGun

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but Bin 104 on Calgary Trail has a huge selection of beers.

OiledGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
I never find myself loading up on any particular beer when I'm there, there are far too many beers there to just pick one or two kinds and load up.
Same. I just load up all different kinds for my beer fridge

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
Same. I just load up all different kinds for my beer fridge
Pretty much. I can tell you beers I like and some that I don't like as much. However I don't have an absolute favorite that I must get all the time.

I went to delux burger bar last night ans was surprised that they had Ambers Chocolate Stout on tap. Ending up making for a pretty solid happy hour.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
just a quick update on that autumn harvest event, they're released the final lineup of companies providing samples, which includes Big Rock and Yukon Brewery, and bunch of others I've never heard of.

The actual address of the event (which I had to confirm with the folks at the store) is 50 Spruce Avenue, Sherwood Park.
Hey CC do you have to buy tickets to this in advance or do you buy them at the door?

Old
09-16-2011, 07:08 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSynergy View Post
Weihenstephaner is the best weizen on the planet and anyone who disagrees with me gets slapped in the face.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:10 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Hey CC do you have to buy tickets to this in advance or do you buy them at the door?
As far as i kmow it's only in advance. If you e-mail or message them on twitter they respond pretty quickly though.

Old
09-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
As far as i kmow it's only in advance. If you e-mail or message them on twitter they respond pretty quickly though.
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.

Old
09-16-2011, 08:10 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

So today I picked up a 6'er of Yukon Brewery's Midnight Sun Espresso Stout. I've had Yukon Red & Lead Dog from them and LOVED them both, thought I give this a shot.
Also, I picked up a 750mL of Unibroue's Maudite. The design on the bottle caught my attention, so far sounds like a strong spicy beer (hopefully not too hoppy)

Quote:
Pretty much. I can tell you beers I like and some that I don't like as much. However I don't have an absolute favorite that I must get all the time.

I went to delux burger bar last night ans was surprised that they had Ambers Chocolate Stout on tap. Ending up making for a pretty solid happy hour.
Yeah same, can't really say what my fav is either. I do love my dark & red amber beers though.

I should check that place out.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote