HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who gets a contract?

View Poll Results: Who gets a contract?
Nylander 12 30.00%
Mair 2 5.00%
Couturier 21 52.50%
other 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Who gets a contract?

They all can't - and maybe none of them will. I assume if the team signs one of these guys they will not be playing in Adirondack.

Is there somebody I'm forgetting?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I say if any training campers get one, it'll probably be Mair. Nylander is behind too much competition.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I hope Couturier blows everyone away and gets a contract

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Couturier or no one with no one being more likely (Couturier could get one as a slide though).

I don't believe either Mair or Nylander will earn a contract.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:22 PM
ELab2

I think none of them, but if I had to choose I'd choose Couturier.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
CSKA1974

IMO, no one from this group.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
IMO, no one from this group.
who else then? I couldn't think of anybody else to put in the poll but will add somebody

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:36 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I didn't clarify since I figure Couturier is the obvious choice

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:57 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Waive Shelley
Sign Couturier
?????
PROFIT!

If only real life were as simple as a video game.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think Nylander gets it. I read an interview at some point where Henrik Zetterberg said he is still an NHL caliber player when healthy. Obviously we'll be able to tell better once he gets on the ice, but without seeing him or the others play, I'll take Zetterberg's word for it for now.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:22 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Couturier or no one with no one being more likely (Couturier could get one as a slide though).

I don't believe either Mair or Nylander will earn a contract.
This. I am sure Couturier will get a slide contract.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think Nylander gets it. I read an interview at some point where Henrik Zetterberg said he is still an NHL caliber player when healthy. Obviously we'll be able to tell better once he gets on the ice, but without seeing him or the others play, I'll take Zetterberg's word for it for now.
My sense is that the FO is not content with Betts' performance over the last two seasons. Physically he may well be finished. If Nylander can show that he's healthier than Betts, the job may well be his.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:47 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
My sense is that the FO is not content with Betts' performance over the last two seasons. Physically he may well be finished. If Nylander can show that he's healthier than Betts, the job may well be his.
I'm just thinking in terms of his chemistry with Jagr, if Nylander gets the slot and plays limited minutes at even strength but on the PP with Jagr, it could be worth a $500k contract. Obviously, he has to prove he can still play though. I don't know how I would feel about them ditching Betts. I mean, if the guy can no longer play that's one thing, but at this point he's gotta be our top PK guy, no?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:28 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm just thinking in terms of his chemistry with Jagr, if Nylander gets the slot and plays limited minutes at even strength but on the PP with Jagr, it could be worth a $500k contract. Obviously, he has to prove he can still play though. I don't know how I would feel about them ditching Betts. I mean, if the guy can no longer play that's one thing, but at this point he's gotta be our top PK guy, no?
I was thinking the same thing. Nylander might not get enough time to play with Jagr even strength unless we shuffle the lines/play Jagr as a bottom 6 so most of their playing time will come on the PP (if he has the ability to do so). Betts was (keyword) really good at FO and one of our best PKers. With losing Powe and Richards one would think that Betts would get a chance to be a prime PKer again. Unless Nylander can playing 3rd line, PP, and PK with a cheap contract he might not make it. Part of it will also depend on who would be moved to the wing.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:39 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
This. I am sure Couturier will get a slide contract.
If Couturier is going to go back to Juniors, there's no reason to signe him now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Nylander might not get enough time to play with Jagr even strength unless we shuffle the lines/play Jagr as a bottom 6 so most of their playing time will come on the PP (if he has the ability to do so). Betts was (keyword) really good at FO and one of our best PKers. With losing Powe and Richards one would think that Betts would get a chance to be a prime PKer again. Unless Nylander can playing 3rd line, PP, and PK with a cheap contract he might not make it. Part of it will also depend on who would be moved to the wing.
Betts led the forwards in PK icetime last year. As well as taking the overwhelmin majority of shorthanded faceoffs last year.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:26 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Betts has shoulder issues that will prevent him from being a great faceoff guy going forward. Last year he was 51st in faceoff percentage (barely over 50%) in a list of guys who took at least 700 draws (there were under 90 total players).

He's still a good positional penalty killer, but I'm not sure he should be taking many faceoffs, especially on his weak side (the dot to the right of the Flyers' goalie).

I'll be shocked if Nylander gets a contract. Holmgren Translation: Nylander will get a contract.

09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
If Couturier is going to go back to Juniors, there's no reason to signe him now.

Betts led the forwards in PK icetime last year. As well as taking the overwhelmin majority of shorthanded faceoffs last year.
A lot of teams who draft players in the top 10 sign their players to a contract (if they played well during training), and let them play 8-9 games. If they want they can send him down and his contract will slide, meaning it wont count for the season. I would not be surprised, at all, if the Flyers did this. A lot of teams do it.

Flyers already did it with 4th round pick Marcel Noebels.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:18 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Actually, the earlier he is signed the better it is for the organization moving forward with his contract situation.

Waiting longer could take away seasons of RFA status that would otherwise be there should he be signed quickly.

(Also probably why, among a number of other significant reasons, Noebels got a contract so quickly.)

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:27 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
A lot of teams who draft players in the top 10 sign their players to a contract (if they played well during training), and let them play 8-9 games. If they want they can send him down and his contract will slide, meaning it wont count for the season. I would not be surprised, at all, if the Flyers did this. A lot of teams do it.

Flyers already did it with 4th round pick Marcel Noebels.
And where do the Flyers find the Cap space to do so? What moves do they make, that could be permanent, to get the Cap space to allow Couturier a 8-9 game tryout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Actually, the earlier he is signed the better it is for the organization moving forward with his contract situation.

Waiting longer could take away seasons of RFA status that would otherwise be there should he be signed quickly.

(Also probably why, among a number of other significant reasons, Noebels got a contract so quickly.)
That is incorrect Chris. A player reaches UFA status at 27 years of age, or 7 Accrued Seasons. Not Signing him now, and sending him back to Juniros, would have no effect on his timetable for reaching UFA status. Signing him now and playing him in the NHL and reaching an Accrued Season, would mean that he could reach UFA status early. There is no reason why the Flyers have too sign him now, if he's going back to Juniors.

Noebels was considering going to Europe. That's why the Flyers were so quick to sign him.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
And where do the Flyers find the Cap space to do so? What moves do they make, that could be permanent, to get the Cap space to allow Couturier a 8-9 game tryout?

That is incorrect Chris. A player reaches UFA status at 27 years of age, or 7 Accrued Seasons. Not Signing him now, and sending him back to Juniros, would have no effect on his timetable for reaching UFA status. Signing him now and playing him in the NHL and reaching an Accrued Season, would mean that he could reach UFA status early. There is no reason why the Flyers have too sign him now, if he's going back to Juniors.

Noebels was considering going to Europe. That's why the Flyers were so quick to sign him.
What do you mean where do they find capspace? Right now they have 13 forwards on the roster, 7 defenders and 2 goalies. One of these forwards is Lappy and the other Nodl. You would expect Lappy to go on IR allowing us to use the money on one player. Nodl also would most likely be sent down, since we would have 12 forwards and 7 defenders, if not it doesnt matter since we would have the Lappy money. This is not saying we would keep Couturier up all season (even if that is possible), but if he was playing 9 games. Contract limit wise? Homer already said there was 0 problem in giving a contract out to a player that deserves it. This means he will get rid of other contracts.

You gotta remember, Couturier doesnt necessarily have to sign a over 1 mil contract. It has been shown that some of the players signed to contracts this season are willing to take some cuts. See Larrson. But say he does ask for 1.5 mil. Lappy + Nodl = Couturier + some.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
How many games is required to count as a season towards UFA status?

09-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
How many games is required to count as a season towards UFA status?
40 games on the roster is a accrued season.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Thanks.

So if we play him for 9ish games to see how he fares and send him back to Juniors, it really doesn't have any affect?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Thanks.

So if we play him for 9ish games to see how he fares and send him back to Juniors, it really doesn't have any affect?
Yes, as long as we can fit him under the upper limit.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What do you mean where do they find capspace? Right now they have 13 forwards on the roster, 7 defenders and 2 goalies. One of these forwards is Lappy and the other Nodl. You would expect Lappy to go on IR allowing us to use the money on one player. Nodl also would most likely be sent down, since we would have 12 forwards and 7 defenders, if not it doesnt matter since we would have the Lappy money. This is not saying we would keep Couturier up all season (even if that is possible), but if he was playing 9 games. Contract limit wise? Homer already said there was 0 problem in giving a contract out to a player that deserves it. This means he will get rid of other contracts.

You gotta remember, Couturier doesnt necessarily have to sign a over 1 mil contract. It has been shown that some of the players signed to contracts this season are willing to take some cuts. See Larrson. But say he does ask for 1.5 mil. Lappy + Nodl = Couturier + some.
Nodl would have to clear Waivers to be sent down. The Flyers are not going to risk losing him, as he would most certainly be claimed, to give Couturier a 8 game tryout.

Think it through before you respond with what do you mean where do they find the Cap space.

Larsson should fire his agent, or if he made the decision, have his head examined for taking that deal. What are the chances that bonuses included, that Couturier signs for under a 1 million.

Also keep in mind that a team needs to have some Cap space in reserve for inuries and call ups.