HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Subban seek a new contract like Myers or Doughty?

Old
09-15-2011, 11:10 AM
buddahsmoka1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
7 years @ $5.5m cap hit is pretty good considering it would cover some UFA years.
How many, 2? Not worth it.

Quote:
We'll see what the Habs do. They gave Pleks a 6 year contract so I don't see why they wouldn't give PK a 6 or 7 year contract.
Plekanec came when he was a UFA, Subban will be a RFA, with many restricted years to come, big difference.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:19 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The organization has shown a hesititancy to go the long-term deal route. What's the longest contract we've signed anyone to, 5 years? Hard to see them giving 7 to Subban but you never know. If Subban has another really good year, I could definitely see Subban and his agent looking for Myers type money. Doesn't mean the Habs will give it to them but hey, that's the agent's job.

RFA contracts are just really hard to predict across the board. Everyone thought Marchand would get a huge deal, and he wound up signing at 2 years for 2.5m per.
I agree with this. I think the organisation will try to sign him to a shorter term deal or two to cover his RFA years and then give him a chance to go for the moon come UFA time.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:23 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Markov was a 32 year old who had played 7 games over the previous season and a half! I don't think his salary could ever seriously brought up in a conversation with Subban's agent. If they decide to work on something long term, Myers will surely be mentioned.

Do you think it's a coincidence that first time RFA's Marchand and Bogosian signed the exact same contract on the same day?
So you are just going to ignore the 9 or so seasons Markov had with the team prior?

Yes, I do think its a coincidence, lol.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
So you are just going to ignore the 9 or so seasons Markov had with the team prior?
No, in fact that's even more reason why Markov and Subban's situations are not even close!

Using players who achieve similar results, in similar roles, in similar stages of their careers, around the league makes sense for establishing value. Using completely different players on the same team doesn't. It seems obvious.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I'm hoping we get the same deal Myers got. We'd be buying him through his RFA years but I don't want to be paying a guy 6M+ because it's so easy to hate on a guy for being paid a crapload of money. If he's making top-2 d-man money and not superstar money then he's a lot easier to like even after he makes mistakes.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Knowing how the Habs as been signing contracts lately, I wouldn't be surprise to see a 5 year deal @ 4.5-5.5M per.

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Kingbobert

all i know is next summer, we'll have to dish out major dough to pk and price...thank god spacek's contract is off the books

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:12 PM
yianik

PK is coming into the last year of his entry level contract, so we could have him for 4 more years. Like I posted elsewhere Id sign him to a 2 year deal in order to give both the team and PK a much better idea of what he will deliver, then sign him to a long term contract if he delivers. By leaving 2 years of RFA at the end of his next contract we have leverage with him. What I mean is while we want him to play he also wants to play so leaving out offer sheets, maybe we would all agree to $8M over the last 2 years ( if he is delivering ) and if you thought he would get around $7.5-$ 8.0 as a UFA ( 4 at $ 7.5 - $ 8.0 plus $ 8.0 over 2 years ) you sign him to around $38-$40M for 6 years. He benefits because hes getting around $5M more in those 2 RFA years than he otherwise would and we benefit by eating away at 4 UFA years in a long term contract, and at a lower long term Cap hit. If he has another good season you could even go with a one year deal and then sign him to the big one.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
all i know is next summer, we'll have to dish out major dough to pk and price...thank god spacek's contract is off the books
I think we'll be fine, especially considering we have 4mil in cap space still.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Habs will probably give him a contract to bring him to UFA then let him go.
Or just to UFA. But, if he plays like a good #1/2 all season Subban will truly be one of the more expensive Habs players.

Last edited by Mathradio: 09-15-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
How much of a premium does one pay for swagger?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
No, in fact that's even more reason why Markov and Subban's situations are not even close!
Exactly. Here is an experienced, loyal, dominant two way defensemen, that put up massive points on the club. He makes $5-5.5 million dollars.

What justification does Subban have to be making more than him?

What has he proven, and earned, to be paid more than the best defenseman on the team?

Quote:
Using players who achieve similar results, in similar roles, in similar stages of their careers, around the league makes sense for establishing value.
Who in the league has a similar role to Subban, who has achieved similar results?

You are also comparing players accomplishments, in completely different contexts and environments. What one player did on one team, has little relevance to what another did on his.

Quote:
Using completely different players on the same team doesn't. It seems obvious.
It works within the team's structure. IE you have to surpass someone on the team, to earn a contract greater than his. It creates a real context in what their salary should be.

As in the words of Holland(paraphrasing): "We have no basis to pay Rafalski more than Lidstrom."

If you want to use other players contracts as a small basis, fine, but to say something along the lines of "well this person got this much, so that is what he will get" is fallacious. There is a market set in UFA, because players are free agents, but for RFAs, they are restricted to the team and their team's internal salary structures.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
How much of a premium does one pay for swagger?

I'm seriously starting to think that PK Subban will be to the NHL what Michael Jordan was to the NBA commercially.

Edit: Srsly, how much swag is required to break the law?

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 09-15-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I'm seriously starting to think that PK Subban will be to the NHL what Michael Jordan was to the NBA commercially.
The only way he'd become anything like a league-wide poster boy is if he secured the #1 D-man position on that team even with a Markov on his best game in the roster.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:59 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
The only way he'd become anything like a league-wide poster boy is if he secured the #1 D-man position on that team even with a Markov on his best game in the roster.
It's not out of the realm of possibilities.

I'd really love to have him become a poster boy. Might draw more Black American audience to the game, some of them might be actual Habs fans!! :-D

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Exactly. Here is an experienced, loyal, dominant two way defensemen, that put up massive points on the club. He makes $5-5.5 million dollars.

What justification does Subban have to be making more than him?

What has he proven, and earned, to be paid more than the best defenseman on the team?
It's not about what has been earned. It's about how much a team is willing to bet on a player outperforming his contract. If the Habs believe that buying out two of Subban's UFA years at 26 and 27 years old is worth a long term deal, it should cost them roughly 5.5m/yr. If not, they will agree on a shorter deal. It's about deciding what's the best move for the team going forward, not merit.

Quote:
Who in the league has a similar role to Subban, who has achieved similar results?

You are also comparing players accomplishments, in completely different contexts and environments. What one player did on one team, has little relevance to what another did on his.
Well, clearly we are talking about Myers. By these numbers, they had similar seasons, PK playing in slighter tougher situations.

Quote:
It works within the team's structure. IE you have to surpass someone on the team, to earn a contract greater than his. It creates a real context in what their salary should be.

As in the words of Holland(paraphrasing): "We have no basis to pay Rafalski more than Lidstrom."
Rafalski was a UFA. We are assuming that if he had insisted on more money, Detroit would have walked away. Fair enough. All this thread is assuming, is that if the Habs want to sign Subban long term, Myers' contract will set the bar for negotiations. If the Habs don't like it, they can offer a shorter deal.

Quote:
If you want to use other players contracts as a small basis, fine, but to say something along the lines of "well this person got this much, so that is what he will get" is fallacious. There is a market set in UFA, because players are free agents, but for RFAs, they are restricted to the team and their team's internal salary structures.
If that were true, teams would force all their RFA's to sign the lowest possible QO. What would be the downside? In reality, there is the potential for holding out, offer sheets, or sometimes going to Europe. The market still has some (not as much as with UFA's, of course) impact.

In this specific case, the Myers comp, what we are talking about is a long term contract that buys out UFA years. In this case, the player and agent, and therefore the market, have considerable power.

If 22 year old players signed long term deals based on what teams decided they had "earned," you'd see every potential top talent signed to below market value contracts that took them into their thirties.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
But you didn't catch the last word in my sentence; commercialy

P.K is already one of the best young D's in the league and his career ceilling is to be one of the best Dman in the NHL one day, IMHO.

Considering he's one of the only black players in the NHL who is aspiring to be an All-Star, I do believe it can stimulate a rise of popularity in hockey to black kids around the world. He's the only one who in my opinion who is shaping up to be a role model in the black community.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
But you didn't catch the last word in my sentence; commercialy

P.K is already one of the best young D's in the league and his career ceilling is to be one of the best Dman in the NHL one day, IMHO.

Considering he's one of the only black players in the NHL who is aspiring to be an All-Star, I do believe it can stimulate a rise of popularity in hockey to black kids around the world. He's the only one who in my opinion who is shaping up to be a role model in the black community.
A player's effectiveness as a league-wide marketing tool seems to depend heavily on his on-ice performance. Then again, Subban has a charisma that neither Crosby nor Price have. That being said, he only needs to reach that ceiling to be able to supplant Crosby/Ovechkin as the main marketing tools of the NHL.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
A player's effectiveness as a league-wide marketing tool seems to depend heavily on his on-ice performance. Then again, Subban has a charisma that neither Crosby nor Price have.
Well, you're talking as if Subban was a marginal defenseman. He has the tools to back it up, has done it so far. Only time will tell how good will he actually be.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:41 PM
HockeyF3ind

I think we'll resign Subban to a long-term deal at 5 million, unless he gets like 55+ points and is a Norris nominee or something. Something like 7 yr, 35 Million dollar deal.

I don't think Subban will take more than the captain, he just strikes me as being more negotiable and reasonable. Also I believe he'll be getting lots of endorsements anyways to give him pay day there, and be more interested in creating a little cap space for his team to play with than squeezing an extra mill or 2.

Last edited by HockeyF3ind: 09-15-2011 at 02:48 PM.
HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The organization has shown a hesititancy to go the long-term deal route. What's the longest contract we've signed anyone to, 5 years? Hard to see them giving 7 to Subban but you never know. If Subban has another really good year, I could definitely see Subban and his agent looking for Myers type money. Doesn't mean the Habs will give it to them but hey, that's the agent's job.

RFA contracts are just really hard to predict across the board. Everyone thought Marchand would get a huge deal, and he wound up signing at 2 years for 2.5m per.
We haven't really had the type of blue-chippers that I would feel comfortable throwing 5+ years at. Subban and Price are those kind of players. I think we'll see long-termers starting next year.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:53 PM
macavoy

I agree with yianik & budda,

We are better off signing PK to a 2 yr contract then give him a long term contract when his RFA years are coming close to an end. Kind of like how we did it with Price.

Price will get a 5-6 year contract that will take him to his early 30's. You get a little more vaue out of those prime 26-30 years that way.

Look at the Isles, they are so happy with the Tavarres contract but at the end of it, he'll be a UFA in his prime 26, ready to leave NY. It was actually bad for them in the real long run imo. It gives JT his freedom pretty damm close to as possible and he gets paid good money his whole time there. Then can leave for the Rangers for a $10m payday by then.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Any long term contract for PK under 6 mill per year is ok with me.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:02 PM
shello
@WShello9

I don't think Subban should get the same amount of money as Tyler myers did.....yet

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I don't think Subban should get the same amount of money as Tyler myers did.....yet
It will depend on this years' performance. If Subban has a Norris candidate worthy performance, he'll get it for sure.