HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gagner to RW- Would that make you happy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-15-2011, 01:00 PM
  #26
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
Got me there, you're right, Klefbom seems to be injured when the opportunity has been there. Kid must have a 4 banger for a motor.
He was cut by a skate and then hit his head when his helmet popped off. Two freak injuries, neither are major, and its unfortunate that it happened when it did. Have you ever actually watched him play, or do you just find the most negative news report about all of our players and judge your opinion on that. Because it seems like the latter, especially in this case. Klefbom has all the tools to be a solid NHL'er. To call him a bust at this point it just dumb.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:15 PM
  #27
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He was cut by a skate and then hit his head when his helmet popped off. Two freak injuries, neither are major, and its unfortunate that it happened when it did. Have you ever actually watched him play, or do you just find the most negative news report about all of our players and judge your opinion on that. Because it seems like the latter, especially in this case. Klefbom has all the tools to be a solid NHL'er. To call him a bust at this point it just dumb.
I'll mark you down as a member of the Klefbom fan club then. I just know that outside of the top 10 in every draft, there's a 92% chance of being out of the game inside of 5 yrs. For the Oilers sake i hope he falls into that remaining 8% bracket.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:17 PM
  #28
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
I'll mark you down as a member of the Klefbom fan club then. I just know that outside of the top 10 in every draft, there's a 92% chance of being out of the game inside of 5 yrs. For the Oilers sake i hope he falls into that remaining 8% bracket.
So you're basing your Klefbom hate on the fact that most players don't make the NHL? Cool theory bro!!

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
  #29
Albie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
LOL, if this wasn't the critical danming evidence we needed to see, i don't know what is. Can't you just pull Messier out of retirement and insert him into the lineup in his place?
No, but I think I can insert Gretzky from 'Legends Mode', that could solve a lot of my problems.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
  #30
canovin
Klefbom's charm
 
canovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 780
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
I love how a top ten pick is automatically better then Gagner. If only Gagner was a top ten pick, he wouldn't need to be traded.
Top 10 in a strong draft vs 6th overall in a weak draft, possibly weakest draft year since the lockout. I am a fan of Sam Gagner, but let's be serious. he hasn't shown signs of improvement since his 1st year. Bad on faceoffs, weak on the puck, slow skater, weak on the board and he possesses a weak shot. Give me Alex Galchenkyuk in this year's draft who is 4 years younger and has already shown better skating, better shot and plays bigger than Gagner. My point is trade Gagner while his value is at it highest otherwise we won't be getting much out of him.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:45 PM
  #31
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
So you're basing your Klefbom hate on the fact that most players don't make the NHL? Cool theory bro!!
I don't really care about Klefbom and who you guys saddle with these great expectations. Look at what's going on here, the Oilers are last place 2 yrs running and as we go to training camp there's really only one 7th defensman spot open along with one spot for a forward if Hopkins goes back? Arguably 2 spots on a club that dwells in the cellar? Managemant appears to be as dillusional as most of the fanbase.

Only 2 spots open on this roster after back to back last place finishes.....really!

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
  #32
Bank Shot
Registered User
 
Bank Shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
I'll mark you down as a member of the Klefbom fan club then. I just know that outside of the top 10 in every draft, there's a 92% chance of being out of the game inside of 5 yrs. For the Oilers sake i hope he falls into that remaining 8% bracket.
How did you come to that conclusion?

It takes about 2 minutes looking at past drafts on Internet Hockey database to conclude that your statement is grossly inaccurate.

In the 2000 draft for instance there are still 12 players from the second round playing in the NHL.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:03 PM
  #33
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
I don't really care about Klefbom and who you guys saddle with these great expectations. Look at what's going on here, the Oilers are last place 2 yrs running and as we go to training camp there's really only one 7th defensman spot open along with one spot for a forward if Hopkins goes back? Arguably 2 spots on a club that dwells in the cellar? Managemant appears to be as dillusional as most of the fanbase.

Only 2 spots open on this roster after back to back last place finishes.....really!
Yes because last year when they had 4 or 5 spots open it was so much better.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:16 PM
  #34
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,480
vCash: 500
I like Gagner. Unfortunately I don't see him fitting in with the team going forward, unless he switches to wing and we find a tank of a 2C to play with him. He has to be a top 6 forward, or he's useless.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Omark


Isn't something I see going forward. Too many small guys.

I'd rather give Hamilton a spot in the top 6 because of his size and grit.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:16 PM
  #35
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,230
vCash: 50
It's not a bad idea actually. Hemsky will be gone next year most likely, so if things go as I forsee he could do one more year at centre and then move to the wing.

This year:
- RNH gets 9 games in the NHL then goes back to the WHL
- Lander gets 9 games in the AHL, then comes to the NHL
- Brule waived
- Hemsky traded at some point during the year
- Centre comes up from AHL, Gagner to the wing

The alternative this this scenario and Hemsky being traded or simply lost for nothing during the summer, is a trade instead involving Gagner himself. This is also fairly likely but I wonder if there'll be enough offered up for him that Tambo will be happy with it and pull the trigger.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:17 PM
  #36
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
I'll mark you down as a member of the Klefbom fan club then. I just know that outside of the top 10 in every draft, there's a 92% chance of being out of the game inside of 5 yrs. For the Oilers sake i hope he falls into that remaining 8% bracket.
I can make random statistics too.

Very useful skill to have.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:25 PM
  #37
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
How did you come to that conclusion?

It takes about 2 minutes looking at past drafts on Internet Hockey database to conclude that your statement is grossly inaccurate.

In the 2000 draft for instance there are still 12 players from the second round playing in the NHL.
Without looking into it at all, is he lumping in every player from every round outside the top 10? There's 7 rounds, right?

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:36 PM
  #38
thalegion
Registered User
 
thalegion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
You have to think who would be better in the 3rd line rw spot, him or Omark? I gotta say Gags though I don't care for him there

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:53 PM
  #39
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,239
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind seeing Gagner on the wing, however I'm willing to see how he does at first at center. I'm willing to believe and hold hope that he will progress in his 5th year.

I see him getting 60-65 pts this season, maybe more.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:45 PM
  #40
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss
 
enthropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Am I the only one who remember that the Gagner on the wing experiment was terrible? His offensive game was completely neutralized... Unless he's learned more than everybody thinks, it won't work. He can learn to win face-offs in time. No 22-year-old other than Crosby dominates on the dot, EVER, get over it.

There are exactly 6 players under 25yo (only 2 below 22, Tavares and Duchene) that are over 50% on the dot last season (roughly the top-55 players in FO%), get over yourselves and realize it takes a LOT of experience to be good at it for an OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of players.

Sometimes I cannot tell Oiler fans are supposedly a knowledgeable fan base at all... pathetic... Zero patience for a team in rebuild... Facepalms all around...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:02 PM
  #41
doc watson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
I dont see any reason to have Gagner be a winger, it would only mean getting rid of Omark or Hemsky. Give him another season as a center, and if he does not improve -just trade him.
I donīt want to see both Lander and Hopkins on the team this season. Gagner is better than both, as of now. So why not give him a shot. I think he could be a positive surprise this year.

doc watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:54 PM
  #42
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
I'll mark you down as a member of the Klefbom fan club then. I just know that outside of the top 10 in every draft, there's a 92% chance of being out of the game inside of 5 yrs. For the Oilers sake i hope he falls into that remaining 8% bracket.
I don' think you are using this statistic the way it was intended.


If your 92% statistic is correct, which I will assume it is then I could also say that outside of the first pick there is an 89% chance of the player being out of the game in five years. Would that make you pessimistic about having the scond pick overall.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:09 PM
  #43
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
So wait...

There's a 92% chance that RNH won't make it to the NHL?


The Gagner argument again eh?


Well half of us think he will always suck. The other half thinks he might one day not suck too much.

One thing we can all agree on is that he has sucked till this point.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
  #44
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
I'll mark you down as a member of the Klefbom fan club then. I just know that outside of the top 10 in every draft, there's a 92% chance of being out of the game inside of 5 yrs. For the Oilers sake i hope he falls into that remaining 8% bracket.
Well if this is true, and I will take that it is. Then that wouldn't apply to Klefbom, there are like 10 rounds, after the 5th round like 1% probably make the NHL, In other words, That stat applies to the whole group of player not in the top 10, of players drafted from 11-20, my guess is it is like 50% make the NHL

Any way, clear foul on the play for poor use of statistics.


Last edited by okgooil: 09-15-2011 at 06:39 PM.
okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:47 PM
  #45
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Gagner to the Red Wings?

If we get something half decent in return I could get behind it.

Im curious to see what Sammy has to offer this year.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:00 PM
  #46
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Gagner to the Red Wings?

If we get something half decent in return I could get behind it.

Im curious to see what Sammy has to offer this year.
Curious...where did this come from? I would be behind this depending on who we got back.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:05 PM
  #47
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Curious...where did this come from? I would be behind this depending on who we got back.
It came from the fact that RW could stand for Red Wings, in other words he made it up.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:25 PM
  #48
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I don' think you are using this statistic the way it was intended.


If your 92% statistic is correct, which I will assume it is then I could also say that outside of the first pick there is an 89% chance of the player being out of the game in five years. Would that make you pessimistic about having the scond pick overall.
Anything outside of the top 5 is a crapshoot. If the Oilers are fortunate enough to land a top 10 in exchange for 83 or 89, they should flip that pick along with perhaps an Omark to get into that top 5. The Oilers selected Gagner 6th in a week draft and now the Oilers are saddled with one of the most submissive centers in the game today.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:31 PM
  #49
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
It came from the fact that RW could stand for Red Wings, in other words he made it up.
Sigh...

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:32 PM
  #50
vocks10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
People aren't struggling with comprehension, they are struggling with your methodology. Yes when grouping picks 11-210 the rate of making the NHL is minimal, but that's a huge group. In fact I'd imagine if you ran such a stat for all drafted players, from 1-210, that fail rate is still remarkably high.

Look I can fun too with draft stats, using my own criteria (min 100 games played) for the 2001-2006 drafts 75% of first round picks make the NHL, even if you omit the top 10 as you have, 64% of the picks make the NHL. So take a statistics course and realize the odds of any draft pick making the NHL is slim but as you get closer to the top, the odds significantly increase. Since this has materialized about Klefbom, as a first round pick his chances at making the NHL are much, much higher than your ridiculous 90%.

Not saying he will make it, but to essentially say anyone selected after the top 10 has a 1 in 10 chance of making the league is foolish.


Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 09-16-2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Deleted quote
vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.