HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Josh Bailey Deadline

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
His agent is negotiating in person with Garth Snow

Arthur Staple http://twitter.com/stapenewsday:

Bob Mckenzie http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
Still plenty of time for a deal to get worked out.

I'd hate for a good young player like Bailey to have to sit out a year over a contract dispute.

Old
09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Trade you Fistric for him...

Old
09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Bill Omie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
bailey for komisarek

done
Isles are incapable of making such a ridiculous move. We don't want any of your crappy players

Old
09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
cohenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree, and it is reflected in their inability to lure top free agents. Unlike the Sharks (who also have a tough time luring FA's) who have a brutal travel schedule and reside in an area most consider a non-hockey market, the islanders are in a huge market with a very easy travel schedule.

Given the Sharks are a very successful (recently) team, but even so they are still only able to seemingly lure 2nd and 3rd tier free agents and end up developing and trading for the rest. The Islanders have a great history, a lot of cups, and a fairly desirable location, but yet struggle regardless.

It's of course a number of issues, several of which are contingent upon one another. For instance the Islanders are not able to give players the development time (and competition) necessary because they can not lure free agents to fill those NHL spots, so they end up rushing their youth. This in turn creates young players who often overvalue themselves or worse fail fantastically. Because the players overvalue themselves, they often are malcontent and are traded or leave at the first opportunity causing the cycle to restart.

The point is, the public image of the Islanders is really their only method to break that cycle. Again, the Sharks are an excellent example of this. They were a losing franchise that struggled in many of the same ways. Once DW took over he totally revamped the entire system. Players are treated extremely well, negotiations are kept very private and DW has (as far as i can recall) never shown any public ill-will toward any player even when he might have had every right to do so. In our case DW knew he could do nothing about the travel schedule but what he could do was make smart trades and improve his drafting and development.

These kinds of things paint a bad picture for the Islanders, whether they are valid or otherwise. It's similar to going to buy a new car and getting offered a great deal on an off-brand car. The deal might be great, and the car might even be excellent, but you still won't buy it because there is a safer bet elsewhere.
While I agree with you on Bailey not being given a chance to develop because of a bad roster his first season, the Isles have been more cautious and careful with their prospects since then. I believe they clearly learned their lesson.

As far as the way they treat their players, since Milbury has left no one from the front office has ever initiated any negative public discussion about a player. They have responded to public statements by certain players but even that is very rare.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:26 PM
thewill78

Jeff Schultz + for Josh Bailey

Old
09-15-2011, 09:27 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Omie View Post
Isles are incapable of making such a ridiculous move. We don't want any of your crappy players
That right, they only overpay players for 15 years, not 5

Old
09-15-2011, 09:31 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Or even one apparently . They would rather him not play at all and de-value him even more so, after not developing him properly in the first place.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:40 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
cause at the time 4 mill for an all star goalie was so over paid

Old
09-15-2011, 10:01 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
Or even one apparently . They would rather him not play at all and de-value him even more so, after not developing him properly in the first place.
Your best prospect is Tyler Bozak. Wanna quit while your ahead? Or do you want to continue on the track to nowhere? You paid Komisarek and Jeff Finger 35% more than market value at the time both contracts were signed.

Brian Burke is your friend.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:07 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Your best prospect is Tyler Bozak. Wanna quit while your ahead? Or do you want to continue on the track to nowhere? You paid Komisarek and Jeff Finger 35% more than market value at the time both contracts were signed.

Sure buddy, I'll quit . Insults coming from the Islanders are cute.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:11 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Don't worry, only 8 more years until Tavares is a leaf. Those are your exciting moments. I heard the city practically shut down after hearing about his contract extension.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:17 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Quote:

I'm confused. Are you being or do you just not know...?

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm surprised the CBA allows this. If they qualified him, can't he just sign that at any time? Seems odd that a team could essentially "lock out" a player who wants to sign (assuming he has a change of heart).

Old
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
That Tavares contract still singeing your ass a bit? If you want to go toe-to-toe over franchise failure, we can discuss Burke's attempt at poorly staging a rebuild through bad contracts in a worse economy and handing the Bruins their next two franchise cornerstones, but if you want to talk hockey like adults, do feel free.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:20 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Don't worry, only 8 more years until Tavares is a leaf. Those are your exciting moments. I heard the city practically shut down after hearing about his contract extension.
Ouch you got me! I think that bolded statement says more about you than us. Hang on to him tighter, I think there is a spot on his ankle still.

It's funny to me how you jumped on me yet if you could read you would see I said nothing different than most of the Islander fans in this thread.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:22 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I'm surprised the CBA allows this. If they qualified him, can't he just sign that at any time? Seems odd that a team could essentially "lock out" a player who wants to sign (assuming he has a change of heart).
He could sign if the offer were on the table at the moment, but a contract still has to be agreed upon by both parties and green-lit by the League. There's nothing against a team pulling a contract off of the table if it's left unsigned when camp begins. I think it was developed more to protect teams against pulling a Yashin, ironically.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
are you actually this stupid or are you just trying to be funny?

Old
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
htpwn

Quote:
<insert Quebec City/Islanders joke here>

Old
09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

are some of you islanders fans really so small minded you think leafs fans are somehow ******** that tavares resigned? that's absolutely hillarious. thanks for thinking of us, i guess.

congrats on resigning your restricted free agent. what an unbelievable accomplishment. no seriously, none of us saw that coming.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

I wonder if Bailey would be able to sue for damages here? If the Islanders lock him out, it could largely destroy his career potentially. Snow and company should watch his step here imo.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:44 PM
David71

1yr 2-3mill. sign it or "sit out". might as well find a trading partner if he doesnt sign.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:46 PM
binx bolling

What is this isles/leafs idiocy? I'm really interested to know what the issue is here for Bailey and his camp.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
dumpnchase

Someone should offer-sheet him, I would like to see what Wang would do than. If him is looking in the $2-$3mil range that would be only a 2nd rounder which wouldn't be a bad deal for a player who still could develop into a solid 2nd line player.

It makes me sad to think of what Milbury & Wang have done to this team.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:48 PM
binx bolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
I wonder if Bailey would be able to sue for damages here? If the Islanders lock him out, it could largely destroy his career potentially. Snow and company should watch his step here imo.
it's club policy and a part of the negotiation. sue? are you serious? you can't sue when things don't go your way.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx bolling View Post
it's club policy and a part of the negotiation. sue? are you serious? you can't sue when things don't go your way.
It's club policy to bully and threaten a hard working player comitted to to being all he can be? Classy...not! Sometimes the courts are necessary to protects ones rights and interests. Players are people, not 'property'.

Closed Thread