HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson's next contract?

Old
09-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Senasnore

vCash: 500
Let's be results oriented in our cap approach. This is the perfect time to evaluate and not rush into anything at all - when management is in the driver's seat - we stick to it. With all the youth and depth coming - we let Karlsson prove his worth.

Senasnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senasnore View Post
Let's be results oriented in our cap approach. This is the perfect time to evaluate and not rush into anything at all - when management is in the driver's seat - we stick to it. With all the youth and depth coming - we let Karlsson prove his worth.
This.

If he develops a two-way game is a team player, you can consider something in the 4.5 to 5.0 range. If he's just interested in rushing into the O-Zone and then slow to backcheck or get people off the puck, need to bear that in mind and hammer it into him.

Also, CBA ending this year so might want to wait until after that's resolved to make a contract, given the front-loaded stuff will be a bone of contention.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Do Make Say Think
d00 da Bieber

A Myers deal template seems to be the way to go when considering potential star dmen in their early career.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:50 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
I'd probably just offer even longer term and possibly get him down to 5-5.2
Longer term would equal higher cap-hit, IMO. We'd be buying UFA years- which the Sabres bought 2 of from Myers with this deal.

Unless you were proposing 10 more years.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
I'd probably just offer even longer term and possibly get him down to 5-5.2
I thought 7 years was the max with that new rule they put in.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:01 PM
SensFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
I thought 7 years was the max with that new rule they put in.
I don't think there's a max on how long it can be, there is a rule on how much it is allowed to drop though.

I don't think Karlsson will get Myers money, I would think anywhere between 4.5 and 5.

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Brassknuckles

I think there are two things that come into play here.

1) We know that EK can provide offence but if he can't tighten up on D, I don't think you can commit to such a defensive liability.

2) I read a few articles stating that in the next CBA the owners want to lower the players revenue sharing portion to what some of the other leagues are doing. ( Mid to high 40 percent range ) That would drop the salary cap by millions therefore affecting all contracts signed after the new CBA.

That means we could save millions on a lengthy contract if we wait.

Brassknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

What kind of deal is Mike Green on? Maybe something similar to that? (Unless of course it's like, $7 mil. Then completely ignore me.)

But I wouldn't go any more than $6, especially at this age.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:23 PM
TheSpaceCoyote
Sens fan in NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
What kind of deal is Mike Green on? Maybe something similar to that? (Unless of course it's like, $7 mil. Then completely ignore me.)

But I wouldn't go any more than $6, especially at this age.
Mike Greens contract was a 4 year, 5.25 million dollar deal I think. If we could get a deal with Karlsson just like Buffalo got with Meyers I would be fairly content.

TheSpaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Senasnore

What is the rush? Let's see what we have in Karlsson - he's no Mike Green yet - we have a number of young d-men that could fill in if he becomes a defensive liability given his small frame. We have bigger players in Rundblad and Weircoch who have the potential to be better 2 way balanced d-men - giving you a blend of offence and defence. Relax and see what happens. Melnyk lost 14 million last year alone - positive he won't be throwing around cash at unproven players. Some of you guys are quite anxious to spend like drunken sailors - note - it's NOT your money...lol -

Senasnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Jason Squirtle

I'm thinking we would be better off with the short term deal as like some of the previous posts have indicated, we don't know how the CBA is going to play out.

On one hand maybe Karlsson's agent will be of the same mindset with the impression that the cap will go down. If that were the case, as his agent I would want to sign him long term before that happens.

I feel like his agent would rather do the short term deal for 2 years at 4.5 mil. I can't see Karlsson regressing so in my opinion he will only get better defensively. At that point, him and his agent would cash in regardless of how negotiations for the CBA turn out.

I'm okay with this as long as Karlsson isn't a greedy mofo like Doughty and wants 7 mil per year. In 2 years time if he becomes a 50-60+ producer like Dan Boyle I'll give him his 6.5 mil cap hit over a long term contract. 7 mil and you'd better have the defensive play of Nick Lidstrom.

Jason Squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:46 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Why is everyone saying that Melnyk might not do a front loaded deal?

Sure there`s the Heatley crap

But not only is there more season ticket holder this year, he'll get a lot of money coming in with those Heritage jersey and everything heritage related this year. It'll be hard not to give Karlsson the money he wants.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
EastCoastSensFan

Its interesting that all ready people are attacking king K over his D. Lets face it if he scores 50 points or more this year hes getting no less then 5 million anyway and likely closer to 6. Thats what 50+ point d-men make. There seems to be a large percentage of this fan base that hate skilled players, not sure why.

I would offer 7 years at 5.25

EastCoastSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:10 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

i'd rather give him a classic 2nd contract, something like 2 years 8-9M.

not a big fan of the big-money long-term contracts for players coming off ELCs. Those should be reserved for superstars.

if it means we have to pay him 7M long-term on his 3rd contract, so be it, but make him earn it.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Anca18

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i'd rather give him a classic 2nd contract, something like 2 years 8-9M.

not a big fan of the big-money long-term contracts for players coming off ELCs. Those should be reserved for superstars.

if it means we have to pay him 7M long-term on his 3rd contract, so be it, but make him earn it.
Not sure if serious...

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:51 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker5123 View Post
Not sure if serious...

I don't imagine he meant per year.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:53 PM
MatthewT

Right now? No

AFter this season? Good chance

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
SPLBRUIN

He's not worth Myers money and it is highly unlikely that he will ever get there, he has too many defensive shortcomings to ever be considerd a true #1, unlike Myers, who has the size and reach to become a dominant defensive player to go along with his fine offensive game.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:53 PM
playasRus

I'm gonna guess he gets around 4.5-5mil/year for 5ish years based on what Meyers got. He's not Myers caliber, but he's pretty darn close.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
I'm gonna guess he gets around 4.5-5mil/year for 5ish years based on what Meyers got. He's not Myers caliber, but he's pretty darn close.
if he continues to develop and improve his defense game........Myers won't be Karlsson caliber relatively soon.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Jason Squirtle

Yeah, I'd rather we just give him a 3 year contract at 4.5-5 mil. If a defenseman is making 7mil as a cap hit..I want that defenseman to be Norris Trophy material. I don't think Karlsson is defensively liable. I think he still has a lot of growing to do before he becomes the next Lidstrom but he's still really young. Let him earn his contract.

Jason Squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

There is rumours that the new CBA will require the player to earn his matching cap hit, which would take away front or back loaded contracts. Discuss.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Husky

I'll pay him what he's worth.

Right now he's a 3-4 million dollar defenceman. Next year, probably the same. The year after that, who knows. I'd be happy to give him a 2 year 6.5 million dollar deal. Reevaluate in 2013. If he's worth 6 million a year so be it. But if he's not, then I don't want to be locked into a 4.5 million dollar contract for eight more years. Lots can happen to kids especially defencemen to make them worth very little. I love Karlsson, but I'm sure I could easily find a 6' winger that can score 40 points and be -30 who I can put on defence for league minimum. If Karlsson can't become useful in the defensive zone, he's worthless. And being tied down to a 4.5+ million dollar deal would be hell.

So, if he proves that he's worth the money, SHOW HIM THE MONEY. But right now, he's not worth that contract. Why don't you go spin the roulette wheel and hope your savings don't get taken by the house. You don't sign contracts as incentives, that never works, how many guys fold under the pressure of a contract? A contract compensates players for play. You start to get boned when you pay for something that isn't there. If Karlsson doesn't play like a 5 million dollar defenceman this year, DO NOT give him that money.

Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
There is rumours that the new CBA will require the player to earn his matching cap hit, which would take away front or back loaded contracts. Discuss.
If you care to unpack that for me, I'd be up for discussing.

Right I'm wondering what "earn his matching cap hit" means. It reminds me of the Yahoo Serious Festival...

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
He's not worth Myers money and it is highly unlikely that he will ever get there, he has too many defensive shortcomings to ever be considerd a true #1, unlike Myers, who has the size and reach to become a dominant defensive player to go along with his fine offensive game.
Couldn't agree more. If Bryan Murray were to offer Karlsson to Buffalo for Myers even up Darcy Reiger would laugh in his face and with good reason.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote