HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Upended By Sabres in Traverse City Championship Game

Old
09-15-2011, 03:18 PM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
To me, he looks like someone who can be as good as Sjostrom as soon as he gains 5-7 pounds of muscle. Some time next year, 2012-13, I can see him developing into a quality third liner.

But now I'm glad we signed Feds because I think Hagelin is better suited in Hartford for at least half a year instead of taking regular shift for the Rangers.
I was originally upset when we resigned Feds because that meant the chances of Hagelin making it were slim. Now I think it might be better for him to spend some time in the AHL.

I'll tell you this though, the Hagelin who played in HFD last season after a long grueling season at Michigan was a lot better then the Hagelin I saw this week.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
To me, he looks like someone who can be as good as Sjostrom as soon as he gains 5-7 pounds of muscle. Some time next year, 2012-13, I can see him developing into a quality third liner.

But now I'm glad we signed Feds because I think Hagelin is better suited in Hartford for at least half a year instead of taking regular shift for the Rangers.
im not so sure...ill say it again, this is an incredibly small sample size, but Hagelin didn't look near as impressive as many of the other younger, less experienced players.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:38 PM
richardsequalscup*

The Rangers basically had Erixon and McIlrath on defense, the other players were guys who will never make the NHL. They have no clue defensively. I think McIlrath tried to hard.

The forwards were smaller. They need to play with some bigger guys on their line. The reality is that the Rangers have graduation most of their top prospects.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:17 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
The Rangers basically had Erixon and McIlrath on defense, the other players were guys who will never make the NHL. They have no clue defensively. I think McIlrath tried to hard.

The forwards were smaller. They need to play with some bigger guys on their line. The reality is that the Rangers have graduation most of their top prospects.
not true.

parlett played very well although hes clearly an offensive dman. he showed great puck poise and his passing skills were on par with erixon. he showed me that his skating and ability to be a puck mover and play on the O side of the blue line is atleast something that bears further attention.

if you noticed, the last half of yesterdays game featured a pp with NO mcilrath. mostly they went erixon/parlett.

mcilrath may have tried hard but that alone aint gonna cut it playing in this kinda tournament.

i will say it again, dylan was our 3rd best dman.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post

Thats true - the Noreau/Niemi pairing made me a bit sick with how bad they played.

Not saying he has an NHL future, but Parlett looked good as well.

And McIlrath, while I think he'll make the NHL, was just a terrible top 10 pick.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats true - the Noreau/Niemi pairing made me a bit sick with how bad they played.

Not saying he has an NHL future, but Parlett looked good as well.

And McIlrath, while I think he'll make the NHL, was just a terrible top 10 pick.
Funny how you say Noreau is a terrible player...yet all the professionals in attendance were impressed by his play...but what do they know.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Alphacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Funny how you say Noreau is a terrible player...yet all the professionals in attendance were impressed by his play...but what do they know.
I happen to have thought that noreau exceeded my expectations. He played his role.

Alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
like who? don't say the Rangers brass because half of them all talked about how great Mcilrath was too...which is a load of horse ****.

Noreau looked mediocre. didnt stand out as either being very good, or very bad.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

I thought Noreau looked solid, especially when you take into account that he was just drafted, and a 5th rounder at that. My initial impression of his game is that he doesn't really have much upside, but he looks like he could be a decent 3rd pairing stay at home type at some point down the road. You really can't ask much more than that from a 5th round dman.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
like who? don't say the Rangers brass because half of them all talked about how great Mcilrath was too...which is a load of horse ****.

Noreau looked mediocre. didnt stand out as either being very good, or very bad.
But Hagelin and Erixon looked great...right...talk about horse ****.

Hagelin was average at best and he is 3-4 years older than everyone else.

Erixon is a good point person but I didn't see excellent defense from him and I can see him getting overpowered in the NHL and please don't compare him to Ryan McDonagh who is as strong as an ox.

So Gordie Clark, who said McIlrath had an average tournament at best, Kevin Maxwell, Adam Graves, Jeff Groton, etc., are all full of **** but you a hockey blogger in Atlanta or wherever you are know better.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I thought Noreau looked solid, especially when you take into account that he was just drafted, and a 5th rounder at that. My initial impression of his game is that he doesn't really have much upside, but he looks like he could be a decent 3rd pairing stay at home type at some point down the road. You really can't ask much more than that from a 5th round dman.
i mean, do you really ever invision him overtaking Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, MDZ, Erixon, McIlrath, Valentenko, or Kundratek?

I don't.

Old
09-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i mean, do you really ever invision him overtaking Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, MDZ, Erixon, McIlrath, Valentenko, or Kundratek?

I don't.

How do you know how he will develop? I remember when Lundqvist was first drafted, all the talk was about Holmqvist and Asplund. Then about Blackburn. Who thought Lundqvist was going to be a star until he dominated the SEL during the lockout season, giving up a full goal less than former NHLer Tommy Salo for the same team.

If Noreau improves his skating significantly, he could be a great defensive defenseman.

I am also not sold by Vally and Kundratek. I am not saying they won't make it, but what proof is there? I am optimistic about MDZ, but again, who says he makes it?

As for everyone else, several of them could be traded for a forward or to trade two defensemen for one superior blueliner.

We could lose someone to injury or free agency or the sudden collapse of his career (a la Drury).

I like the strategy of drafting big defensemen with our last couple of picks. Use the first picks on offensive forwards because that's what we need, but none usually remain by the time you get to the end of the draft, so you might as well pick a big defenseman. He'll probably flop, but if one of them turns into Beukeboom, we are golden.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
How do you know how he will develop? I remember when Lundqvist was first drafted, all the talk was about Holmqvist and Asplund. Then about Blackburn. Who thought Lundqvist was going to be a star until he dominated the SEL during the lockout season, giving up a full goal less than former NHLer Tommy Salo for the same team.

If Noreau improves his skating significantly, he could be a great defensive defenseman.

I am also not sold by Vally and Kundratek. I am not saying they won't make it, but what proof is there? I am optimistic about MDZ, but again, who says he makes it?

As for everyone else, several of them could be traded for a forward or to trade two defensemen for one superior blueliner.

We could lose someone to injury or free agency or the sudden collapse of his career (a la Drury).

I like the strategy of drafting big defensemen with our last couple of picks. Use the first picks on offensive forwards because that's what we need, but none usually remain by the time you get to the end of the draft, so you might as well pick a big defenseman. He'll probably flop, but if one of them turns into Beukeboom, we are golden.
That's kind of my point. 18 year olds traditionally don't do that well at TC. Noreau certainly didn't knock my socks off, but he was steady given the position he was in and when he was drafted. I would gladly take a big, mean, stay at home 3rd pair guy from a 5th round pick. You can tell that McIlrath has insanely higher upside, but Noreau played better than him at TC. That speaks well of this kid.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 12:36 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Noreau looked fine. Limited, but sound at what he did. Would it translate to the pros as-is? Absolutely not. Could he build upon it? Absolutely.

Odds are not great, but he acquitted himself about as well as could be expected from a 5th rounder from the most recent draft. His stock went up in my estimation. The question is, will it keep going up - and will he be able to take any big leaps?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:32 AM
eco's bones

Noreau's a project. He may develop--he may not. On the talent end he was in over his head in this tournament but he managed to not drown--like Ceresnak--which is an accomplishment. He continued to play and get ice time because he played within his ability. He didn't force things. At the same time it's a good experience for him and hopefully he'll take some things away from this and be more of a force next time.

To be honest his play reminded me of Marek Malik--who was a hard player to like but for a stretch of a few years was an effective player for us. Malik didn't have Noreau's fighting skills.

Anyhow--what do people expect out of recently picked 7th round draft choices? Do they think they're all ready, set to go?

To go further Buffalo--the first time ever in this tournament--stacked their team with bigger, older, more developed and experienced players. Losing the final might have been disappointing but it's not a tragedy.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:59 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

I don´t care that they "only" finished 2nd. They played good hockey and looked really fine out there. I saw some players with NHL-Potential and one woh´s ready in Erixon. Anyway it was a nice tournament, thank to Burgs from the pens board who helped me out with my problem

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:00 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Noreau's a project. He may develop--he may not. On the talent end he was in over his head in this tournament but he managed to not drown--like Ceresnak--which is an accomplishment. He continued to play and get ice time because he played within his ability. He didn't force things. At the same time it's a good experience for him and hopefully he'll take some things away from this and be more of a force next time.

To be honest his play reminded me of Marek Malik--who was a hard player to like but for a stretch of a few years was an effective player for us. Malik didn't have Noreau's fighting skills.

Anyhow--what do people expect out of recently picked 7th round draft choices? Do they think they're all ready, set to go?

To go further Buffalo--the first time ever in this tournament--stacked their team with bigger, older, more developed and experienced players. Losing the final might have been disappointing but it's not a tragedy.
eco, I hear you about Malik in how quietly and simply he played the game during this tourney, but, while he didn't go out of his way to crunch people, he did go shoulder to shoulder several times. Also, the principal thing mentioned about him in the reports after the draft was how accomplished and polished a fighter he is, despite the fact that he didn't engage during TC. A Marek Malik who actually beats the ever-loving piss out of people would be someone this fanbase would embrace with open arms.

One of the things that really impressed me was just how quiet his game was as a defenseman given how he was billed as a physical guy. It's actually very encouraging. Still, he was veeeery limited in his game; he showed no offense, and I'm not sure he has the range/skating to engage in the corners and get back into position. At least not yet.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote