HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
09-15-2011, 10:12 PM
juve

vCash: 500
I shouldn't be worried?

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I shouldn't be worried?
no, my buddy had this issue with the Cobalt, turned out to be a major transmission issue that the dealer wouldn't cover on warranty... sorry to tell you dude.

breathe, i'm joking.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:21 PM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
no, my buddy had this issue with the Cobalt, turned out to be a major transmission issue that the dealer wouldn't cover on warranty... sorry to tell you dude.

breathe, i'm joking.

Jesus Christ! You had scared me. I'm 21 years old and this is my first car, no need to be scaring me.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Condenseur to be replaced.

Question: My 2nd car is an old 2002 Echo. Just been told that my "condenser" (is it the right wording?) is "défoncé" (broken, needs to be replaced) and while visiting a Toyota dealer, they told me they'd have it replaced and it would cost me close to 700$...Makes sense? Pisses me off to have to spend that much money since I'll probably get rid of it in 2 years max. Any other place they'd do a fine job with it while costing less?

I know...it's a dealer, it is usually more expensive, but in that case is it THAT much more?

thanks.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:35 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Question: My 2nd car is an old 2002 Echo. Just been told that my "condenser" (is it the right wording?) is "défoncé" (broken, needs to be replaced) and while visiting a Toyota dealer, they told me they'd have it replaced and it would cost me close to 700$...Makes sense? Pisses me off to have to spend that much money since I'll probably get rid of it in 2 years max. Any other place they'd do a fine job with it while costing less?

I know...it's a dealer, it is usually more expensive, but in that case is it THAT much more?

thanks.
sounds about right, it sits in front of your rad, so it can take some impacts, couple hours labor, parts probably $300-400, and then evacuate and recharge the a/c system, always go dealer, unless you know and really trust someone dont bother, its really usually not worth the risk. If you dont care about a/c dont fix it, and sell it advising a/c doesnt work to potential buyers.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I just bought my first car, a Chevy Cobalt sport. I bought the car on Tuesday and I want to if this is normal. The radio can still be played when the engine is off. Is this normal?
Is the radio the original one that came with the car? Or an after market radio?

If it's an aftermarket radio. There's a chance that it was wired incorrectly.

On some late model GM vehicles. They're designed so the radio stays on until you open the door, or a timer shuts it off.

If it shuts off 10 minutes after you get out of the car. I would check to see if your door pin is stuck. The door pin is located between the front of the door and the frame of the car. If the pin is stuck, pull it out. If the radio shuts off, there's your problem. Spray some WD-40 on it and you're good to go.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest checking your ignition switch. Sometimes the connectors inside are loose. So your car thinks that the key is still in the ignition. Pull your key out, then put it back in again and wiggle it around gently. Ha, that's what my prom date said on prom night. If that seems to fix the problem, you may need to have a new ignition switch installed.

09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
sounds about right, it sits in front of your rad, so it can take some impacts, couple hours labor, parts probably $300-400, and then evacuate and recharge the a/c system, always go dealer, unless you know and really trust someone dont bother, its really usually not worth the risk. If you dont care about a/c dont fix it, and sell it advising a/c doesnt work to potential buyers.
always go dealer?

Umm... dealers are the biggest crooks.

Just today I called a honda dealer to get my gf's tranny flushed (hehe, that sounds bad) and after going in person and talking about it ... it's not even a real flush!

All they do is a regular drain, for 92$ + tax!

I asked them why they called it a flush if it's just a drain -- '' it's a honda flush '''

No, it's a marketing scam...

I buy my parts myself and I know guys who are mechanics, who've worked at dealers, and I just take it to their home...

I save 50% if not more this way... garages mark-up a lot on pieces... and dealers are no exception.. they just abuse it even more because there's no other place to get the 100% original.

The auto industry is all a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

thanks.
WS, whatever you do, consider buying the parts yourself... of course, you will need a mechanic who can work on it, that you trust. Whatever a dealer charges, a regular shop will charge 20-30 percent less... and if you can get your own parts, you're laughing...

btw, when you sell that Echo, don't undervalue it ! The 2000 Echo with 200KM are still selling for $2K +

Very slow depreciation with those cars

Old
09-15-2011, 11:19 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
always go dealer?

Umm... dealers are the biggest crooks.

Just today I called a honda dealer to get my gf's tranny flushed (hehe, that sounds bad) and after going in person and talking about it ... it's not even a real flush!

All they do is a regular drain, for 92$ + tax!

I asked them why they called it a flush if it's just a drain -- '' it's a honda flush '''

No, it's a marketing scam...

I buy my parts myself and I know guys who are mechanics, who've worked at dealers, and I just take it to their home...

I save 50% if not more this way... garages mark-up a lot on pieces... and dealers are no exception.. they just abuse it even more because there's no other place to get th+ e 100% original.

The auto industry is all a scam
Im not gonna debate with you on recommended services they offer you cause yes some are stupid, call it a flush (flushing your toilet is draining no???) or transmission oil change(which is what I called it when i worked the counter) $92 is pretty good, u cant flush a honda transmission, a half labor + fluid sounds reasonable to me. At least if your dealing with a reputable dealer they stand behind their repairs, and warranty their repairs, most reputable dealers that dont fix your car right the first time will never charge you to fix the second time if they made a mistake, if you dont feel your dealership as that mentality then your dealing with the wrong place. Ive seen many more horror stories from small garages, canadian tires etc.... then i have seen from dealers, thank god I dont work in dealers anymore.

whats your line of work my friend?

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:33 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Im not gonna debate with you on recommended services they offer you cause yes some are stupid, call it a flush (flushing your toilet is draining no???) or transmission oil change(which is what I called it when i worked the counter) $92 is pretty good, u cant flush a honda transmission, a half labor + fluid sounds reasonable to me. At least if your dealing with a reputable dealer they stand behind their repairs, and warranty their repairs, most reputable dealers that dont fix your car right the first time will never charge you to fix the second time if they made a mistake, if you dont feel your dealership as that mentality then your dealing with the wrong place. Ive seen many more horror stories from small garages, canadian tires etc.... then i have seen from dealers, thank god I dont work in dealers anymore.
the oil they gave me i bought at their counter 30$. I'll spend the extra 10-15$ buck on their oil, but to pay $60 for a simple 1 drain,and to call it a flush? I'm going to have a friend do it and we're doing 2 drains.

don't get me wrong, the service at a reputable dealer is comforting.

I get my oil changes from them. My thinking is i'll pay the extra 10-20 for peace of mind. But there's a limit...

For regular stuff like brakes, or ''tranny flush'', alignments etc.. dealers are a waste of money.

Of course, if you're riding a 50K car than you want original parts and dealer work... but for regular, generic cars... i pass.

Quote:
whats your line of work my friend?
i know **** all about cars

but auto repair industry is plagued by dishonest criminals!

there are good ones to be found -- but not everyone is as lucky

Old
09-15-2011, 11:37 PM
zzoo

I wonder what's the best way to get the best price from the dealers. I just send out a dozen emails to different dealers to have the best price. Is there any other way / trick ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I wonder what's the best way to get the best price from the dealers. I just send out a dozen emails to different dealers to have the best price. Is there any other way / trick ?
To buy a car? My dad plotted 5-6 honda dealerships against each other when my sister bought a civic. One offered best deal plus 10 free oil changes. It works.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Best winter tires...best seller!

Time for winter tires again...need winter tires for my Ford Edge and Toyota Echo. Any opinions? Any place you like near Laval and North Shore? Went to see Pneus Bernard, Touchette and Belisle so far....still not sure what to do. Seems Toyo for my Ford Edge....and Touchette just suggested some Nokian around 580$ + taxes for all 4 for my Echo. Any suggestions?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:12 PM
coolasprICE

I never did this but you should look into buying them in the U.S

2 ways you can do this -- go to a tire shop and buy it directly. have them installed... throw out the old ones or put them in your trunk... if you disguard the old ones, you could probably get away from paying duties....

other option is to buy them online, and have it shipped to mailbox over the border like this (50 minute drive from Montreal...)

http://www.freeportforwarding.com/

and have them installed back home.

It's a bit more leg-work but I'm guessing you can save up-to 500 $ for both cars, depending on the deal and brand...

Old
11-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Is there anybody else than me who's excited about Tesla's S Model coming out soon?
hellz yeah!

Here's how I'm going to mod it...already.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

Anyone know anything about HIDs? I want to buy it for my car, but apparently you need a converter and all this, but I dunno what's the proper model to get, where to buy it from and so on. I know the car model matters, but other than that i'm clueless.

Old
11-03-2011, 06:18 PM
LeMAD

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new cars. Max $20K, fun to drive, reliable and with a good resale value. The rest is not really important. What are my best options?

Veloster? Forte Koup? Civic coupe (not Si)? Fiat 500?

Really I have no idea...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Sthabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Anyone know anything about HIDs? I want to buy it for my car, but apparently you need a converter and all this, but I dunno what's the proper model to get, where to buy it from and so on. I know the car model matters, but other than that i'm clueless.
few pointers...
The type of bulbs that you need depends on the type of bulbs that you currently have in your car, so if your bulbs are the 9006 type, get some 9006 HIDs, to find that out, you could google it, or go to a carparts website and pretend you order some regular bulbs there and you ll know what type you have in your car. Or in a lot of cases, it ll be written on your headlamps.(get the low beams ) There are a few exeptions but i s pretty rare.
For the color, you ll probably want some 6000k , more than that and it ll be too blue less than that and it s usually too yellowish.
One important thing to know though is that HIDs bulbs were not meant to go in a regular halogen headlamps, they re supposed to go in those projector headlamps (the ones that look like they have a bulb in there) but most people still do it, the main drawback is that if they re not adjusted properly (if they re pointed too high) you could blind the oncoming traffic. (That s why it looks good on say a Lexus, and looks cheap on say a 93 tercel...) So either adjust them or get some projectors headlamps, an easy thing if you drive a civic or a car that has a lot of aftermarket parts for it. Some retrofit them but it s more complicated.
If you drive a BM or a Benz or one of those more expensive cars, that s usually when it gets tricky because you could get some error code, check engine light or what not and then you need an other part, or reset your ECU, etc, not recommended unless done by the dealer or somewhere reputable.
As far as the ballast goes (the box) I d definitely advise you to get a digital one (they re usually slimmer) but a lot more reliable and really not that much more expensive.
And as to where to get them, well I guess Ebay or any aftermarket car parts store here in Mtl, just shop around and don't pay too expensive for them cause no matter what they tell you, it s usually all the same thing in there. (I ve seen a VW dealer here in Mtl sell a kit for 300$ that was exactly the same one as those Ebay ones for 40$...)
The only time that it s actually worth it to spend more is if you could get your hands on a Philips kit, or one that uses Philips bulbs but they re rare and there s a lot of fake ones.
The best thing though is to get them here with a warranty for peace of mind.
To install them, it s very easy for someone that knows what they re doing, or know a thing or 2 in electricity because most of the problems with them comes from a bad installation.
Anyways, hope that helps

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Sthabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new cars. Max $20K, fun to drive, reliable and with a good resale value. The rest is not really important. What are my best options?

Really I have no idea...
I m a bit in the same dilemma,
My opinion, a Civic or a Mazda 3, especially the one with the new Skyactiv engine, looks good, fun to drive and get very good mileage If you want a fully equipped one it ll be more than that though.
I like the civic coupe as well, but to me anyways, I really dont like the dashboard as much, the car feels cheaper overall, but dont get me wrong it ll probably be more reliable than any of the other ones.
Those are the ones that ll get the best re sale value.

I loved the Veloster, it s incredibly well equipped, (I mean you get it stock with a touch screen, where you could actually go on the internet on it, check your stocks back up camera, you could plug a PS3 on it, it comes with all the steering wheel controls, etc. all that in the base model)
But that s the thing, all those sexy things wont make it a good car that s not gonna start falling apart after 100 000kms...it does have a 5 yr warranty though.
A bit like the new Jetta, it s cheap and looks good, but when you start looking more into it, well you get an engine form the last century, not efficient, nor fast (base models), rear drum brakes, no independant suspension in the back, you dont even get an armrest in the base model ffs
The 500 and mini are way too expensive and too small for what it is imo.

The cheapest one is the Civic, I mean you could get a base 4 dr Civic for 200 tax in it s definitely the smartest choice but definitely not the sexiest one though,
Depends what you re looking for.
To me it s either a Civic or a lil more expensive Mazda 3, or an Impreza if you need the awd, the new 2012 gets awesome mpg with awd but again the Subaru might not be the sexiest choice, but they re very good cars as well, head and shoulders in front of the Hyundai s imo.
It really depends on what you need and what you re willing to spend.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
few pointers...
The type of bulbs that you need depends on the type of bulbs that you currently have in your car, so if your bulbs are the 9006 type, get some 9006 HIDs, to find that out, you could google it, or go to a carparts website and pretend you order some regular bulbs there and you ll know what type you have in your car. Or in a lot of cases, it ll be written on your headlamps.(get the low beams ) There are a few exeptions but i s pretty rare.
For the color, you ll probably want some 6000k , more than that and it ll be too blue less than that and it s usually too yellowish.
One important thing to know though is that HIDs bulbs were not meant to go in a regular halogen headlamps, they re supposed to go in those projector headlamps (the ones that look like they have a bulb in there) but most people still do it, the main drawback is that if they re not adjusted properly (if they re pointed too high) you could blind the oncoming traffic. (That s why it looks good on say a Lexus, and looks cheap on say a 93 tercel...) So either adjust them or get some projectors headlamps, an easy thing if you drive a civic or a car that has a lot of aftermarket parts for it. Some retrofit them but it s more complicated.
If you drive a BM or a Benz or one of those more expensive cars, that s usually when it gets tricky because you could get some error code, check engine light or what not and then you need an other part, or reset your ECU, etc, not recommended unless done by the dealer or somewhere reputable.
As far as the ballast goes (the box) I d definitely advise you to get a digital one (they re usually slimmer) but a lot more reliable and really not that much more expensive.
And as to where to get them, well I guess Ebay or any aftermarket car parts store here in Mtl, just shop around and don't pay too expensive for them cause no matter what they tell you, it s usually all the same thing in there. (I ve seen a VW dealer here in Mtl sell a kit for 300$ that was exactly the same one as those Ebay ones for 40$...)
The only time that it s actually worth it to spend more is if you could get your hands on a Philips kit, or one that uses Philips bulbs but they re rare and there s a lot of fake ones.
The best thing though is to get them here with a warranty for peace of mind.
To install them, it s very easy for someone that knows what they re doing, or know a thing or 2 in electricity because most of the problems with them comes from a bad installation.
Anyways, hope that helps
It does, but should I start at Phillips for my car and see if I can get a good price on it?

I'm in no hurry. I've never seen 8000k ones but I do want a slight blue tint like luxury cars have. I don't want it plain but not loserish either. Subtle but nice you know? 6000 or 8000

Old
11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Sthabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It does, but should I start at Phillips for my car and see if I can get a good price on it?

I'm in no hurry. I've never seen 8000k ones but I do want a slight blue tint like luxury cars have. I don't want it plain but not loserish either. Subtle but nice you know? 6000 or 8000

The 8000 would be too blue and you d really stick out that would be like asking for trouble almost, all the luxury cars they all have 6k with that slight tint of blue.
As for the Philips they re really hard to get I don't even think Philips Canada sells them here because here they re considered as off roads only so they ll only sell them to dealers.
Philips only sell them to the public in Asia and Australia so unless you know someone over there or get lucky on eBay it ll take you a while to get across. some sellers might sell you the kits with some Philips bulbs only you never know but again they re more expensive.

Last edited by Sthabs: 11-04-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old
11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post

The 8000 would be too blue and you d really stick out that would be like asking for trouble almost, all the luxury cars they all have 6k with that slight tint of blue.
As for the Philips they re really hard to get I don't even think Philips Canada sells them here because here they re considered as off roads only so they ll only sell them to dealers.
Philips only sell them to the public in Asia and Australia so unless you know someone over there or get lucky on eBay it ll take you a while to get across. some sellers might sell you the kits with some Philips bulbs only you never know but again they re more ex
I did a few google searches and you're right, 6000k is likely the best bet. I want to give my car a little...don't know the word, but some distinction I guess. I don't drive a civic or anything like that, so I think HIDs might actually look stock on my car. Well, hoping they could pass as that a bit.

Old
11-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Sthabs

they probably will cause usually any car with them will look better.
But more imprtantly, the difference is literally night and day.
You ll see potholes like you ve never seen before(dont know if thats a good thing though lol), stops and signs from much further, and whenever you ll go back in a car without them, you ll be wondering if thelights are on or not and how u ever did without HIDs , they re that good lol

Old
03-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Zorro

Anyone with an MK6 VW GTI...that is 2010 +

I've read everyhting i can online, but would like some reviews from QC/ON or wherever in Canada.

Zorro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

This ever happen to anyone?

Basically, moved my seat front, tried to move it back, motor's ****ed(at least i think its motor). its been making weird sounds for a while now, and I guess it finally gave out.

Anyone experience this and the cost/delay of fixing such a problem?

Old
06-18-2012, 03:12 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

Really I have no idea...
2008-2010 Chevy Cobalt SS. (Turbo)

Great handling, great power, gas mileage, inexpensive.

With just a tune (flash of the computer) you can have way more power too.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote