HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Crosby and Malkin Ticket Delivery Videos

Old
09-15-2011, 11:55 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda71 View Post
So, like, me, right? Just come out and say it instead of being so passive, dude...

I don't personally know him (obviously) and I only know a little bit about his language struggles. It's just frustrating because I feel like so many minimize his experience. There are people out there who honestly think Geno and other Russian players are jokes because they don't speak fluent English. People on this site constantly gripe about Datsyuk and Semin not knowing better English. Then guys like Malkin and Ovechkin get laughed at because they pronounce something wrong, or they speak in child like sentences.

I'm really not on the mega-defensive, I'm simply trying to educate on WHY these guys struggle because I'm sick of seeing posts where people say "Jesus... why hasn't he learned English by now?!?!?!?!?!?!" (Applies to most Russian players in the NHL, not just Geno).
I disagree. I'd say that around 95% of the time whenever someone makes a reference to Geno's English skills, it is either to say how impressed they are at how far he has come or are clearly teasing in a "tongue-in-cheek" sort of way. I think you just wish you were his new Alyonka and feel overly protective. And/or you want to get praised for studying Russian

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Amanda71

Send a message via MSN to Amanda71
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I disagree. I'd say that around 95% of the time whenever someone makes a reference to Geno's English skills, it is either to say how impressed they are at how far he has come or are clearly teasing in a "tongue-in-cheek" sort of way. I think you just wish you were his new Alyonka and feel overly protective. And/or you want to get praised for studying Russian
In this thread. In other threads I have read, there have been less "tongue-in-cheek" references about his English. Granted, it's a minority opinion, but it's still out there.

Furthermore, on other parts of the site, especially on the main boards, Russian players are bashed often for their less than stellar English. I've read countless posts about how people wish Semin would speak in English, that he's been here long enough to know it. Same with Datsyuk. Even with Geno to a degree.

If I was a guy, would you have made that statement? Of course everyone here knows that I'm a girl, that Evgeni is my favorite player, and that I think he's cute. But it's extremely unfair to say that I "wish I was his new Alyonka". Maybe I should be less open here, because I feel like that was an unnecessary slap at me from you. I don't get on here and make slaps at people like I get from you and other users. I don't want to hear that it's "tongue-in-cheek", "friendly picking" or whatever. I felt that was very rude for you to say and you crossed a line with that.

Furthermore, I don't actively seek praise for studying Russian, but I happily accept it. I chose a language that I had an interest in and I've worked my ass off in learning it. I could've taken a far easier language like Spanish, but I didn't. I chose Russian and I'm pursuing fluency. And after I get done doing an hour or two of Russian homework 3 or 4 times a week, I definitely do not mind a pat on the back.

In any case, I'm done in this thread. It's obvious that I'm coming off as being overly defensive and it seems as though I'm taking it too seriously. I only wanted to offer a little insight into the language barrier, but I'm done hi-jacking this thread.

Amanda71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:48 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

I'm not being passive, I just don't care about the jibber jabber of how hard it is, I know how hard it is since I do know like everyone else here, someone that is learning english as a second language.

Good god you are sensitive about this, lol.

I don't care how many long posts you go through when no one is saying it isn't a hard language to learn, tl;dr.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda71 View Post
In this thread. In other threads I have read, there have been less "tongue-in-cheek" references about his English. Granted, it's a minority opinion, but it's still out there.

Furthermore, on other parts of the site, especially on the main boards, Russian players are bashed often for their less than stellar English. I've read countless posts about how people wish Semin would speak in English, that he's been here long enough to know it. Same with Datsyuk. Even with Geno to a degree.

If I was a guy, would you have made that statement? Of course everyone here knows that I'm a girl, that Evgeni is my favorite player, and that I think he's cute. But it's extremely unfair to say that I "wish I was his new Alyonka". Maybe I should be less open here, because I feel like that was an unnecessary slap at me from you. I don't get on here and make slaps at people like I get from you and other users. I don't want to hear that it's "tongue-in-cheek", "friendly picking" or whatever. I felt that was very rude for you to say and you crossed a line with that.

Furthermore, I don't actively seek praise for studying Russian, but I happily accept it. I chose a language that I had an interest in and I've worked my ass off in learning it. I could've taken a far easier language like Spanish, but I didn't. I chose Russian and I'm pursuing fluency. And after I get done doing an hour or two of Russian homework 3 or 4 times a week, I definitely do not mind a pat on the back.

In any case, I'm done in this thread. It's obvious that I'm coming off as being overly defensive and it seems as though I'm taking it too seriously. I only wanted to offer a little insight into the language barrier, but I'm done hi-jacking this thread.
First off, the main boards should not be used as a frame of reference for anything occurring in reality. That place is a waste of bandwidth, nothing more and nothing less.

If you were any random guy, no I would not make that statement about you wanting to replace Alyonka. If you were a guy who has as much of an affinity for Malkin as you clearly do and were so open about the crush, then yes, I would. I think you are taking this website way too seriously. People give each other ****. It is what it is. We make fun of Big for being a hipster, we make fun of Coach for being from New Jersey, people make fun of me for stuff I've posted about before. If you are that sensitive then it is more of a personal problem. You imply you don't want to be treated differently because you are a female, while simultaneously making it seem like you want extra accommodation due to your level of sensitivity and you can't have it both ways.

Anyway, OnlyTheBrave hit it right on the head. Anyone with common sense knows that learning a second language is a *****. Therefore, anyone who makes fun of Malkin for it clearly lacks common sense and thus is not worth anyone's time or worry

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
i remember that cause the cat was soooo not impressed

He not impress.

He said "dat guy.... He soff........"

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Florentino Ariza

He no deserves big contract

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:14 PM
TopShelfGoal

Why is Engelland's jersey the only one without a name and number?

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote