HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Official GameThread: Islanders vs Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 08:01 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Official GameThread: Islanders vs Montreal

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/pregame.html

Going North of the Border (7:30 p.m.) (NYI.com)
Islanders at Montreal Canadiens (FSNY, Radio Disney 1560 AM)

Thursday's visit to Montreal will be one of just two trips during the next few weeks for the boys in blue, as the Isles host seven of their next 10 in the Coliseum. Despite the home ice advantage, it won't be an easy run as New Jersey, Anaheim, Ottawa and Dallas sit ahead of them on the schedule, so the Isles need to get every point possible, starting against the Habs.
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/insider.html

The Insider: The Book on the Montreal Canadiens
Islanders vs. Montreal Canadiens (NYI.com)

Last Time Out
The Canadiens hosted the Red Wings Monday and won for the fourth time in the past five games, outscoring Detroit, 2-1. The Habs rode second-period goals from waiver-draft pick-up Steve Begin and Richard Zednik to a win.
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/scoop.html

The Scoop: Montreal Canadiens (NYI.com)

Left wingers Darren Langdon and Chad Kilger are on the injured reserve with a groin and facial fracture/left eye injury, respectively.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Islanders4Cups

This will be a tought one. Islanders score late for a 3-3 tie. Yashin, Kvasha, Hammer. DiPietro remains unbeaten!

Lets Go Islanders!

Old
10-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Jones23

Isles need to play smart defensively and take it to the smallish Habs physically.DiPietro is in and Koivu is out!

5-1 Isles

Yashin-3
Peca-1
Hamrlik-1

Old
10-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
Isles need to play smart defensively and take it to the smallish Habs physically.DiPietro is in and Koivu is out!

5-1 Isles

Yashin-3
Peca-1
Hamrlik-1
I'd like to see a game as you design, but am not fooled. Montreal is off to a hot start without Koivu and Theodore has given the Isles fits in the past. I can't get that 3-0 game from two years ago out of my mind when he outscored our team. I remain hopeful that the 1st line continues its stellar play. I'm thinking Bergenheim gets #1 tonight if he's on the ice. Just my gut.

Old
10-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
An "ok" first period tonight at the Bell Centre. Tough goal to give up for Ricky on Perreault. It looks like the first time he saw the puck it was flying right by his shoulder. The first 15 minutes almost looked like a "feeling-out" period, as both teams seemed like they have had trouble getting goin, but the final 5 minutes or so were really fast-paced, with both teams getting good back-and-forth chances on both ends. Here's the scoreboard so far...

END OF PERIOD 1
ISLANDERS - 0
MONTREAL - 1

SCORING
Period 1 - MTL, Perreault 4 (Ryder), 5:25

PENALTIES
Period 1 - MTL, Ribiero (Tripping), 2:46; NYI, Weimer (Interference - Goaltender), 16:29

SHOTS ON GOAL
ISLANDERS - 7
MONTREAL - 6

GOALTENDERS
ISLANDERS - Rick DiPietro (5 saves, 6 shots)
MONTREAL - Jose Theodore (7 saves, 7 shots)

Old
10-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Tom Liodice

Unfortunately, for the Islanders, they've run into strong goaltending from Theodore, and an even stronger defense from the Habs. It seems like there is no where to move out on the ice. Another goal by the habs which Ricky seemed to have absolutely no chance on, as Hossa just happened to find himself in the middle of about 4 Isles in front of the net and just put it past DiPietro. Nice to see Bergenheim getting some duties with Yashin. He made a nice behind the back pass to Yash that led to a scoring chance. If the Isles are to do anything in the 3rd, they better figure out a way to break through the D. Here's the scorecard...

END OF PERIOD 2
ISLANDERS - 0
MONTREAL - 2

SCORING
Period 2 - MTL, Hossa 1 (Ribiero, Quintal), 18:00

PENALTIES
Period 1 - MTL, Ribiero (Tripping), 2:46; NYI, Weimer (Interference - Goaltender), 16:29
Period 2 - MTL, Rivet (Obstruction Interference), :15; MTL, Bench Minor (Too Many Men), 8:58; NYI, Peca (Slashing), 9:44; MTL, Rivet (Slashing), 9:44

SHOTS ON GOAL
ISLANDERS- 7 - 10
MONTREAL- 6 - 6

GOALTENDERS
ISLANDERS - Rick DiPietro (10 saves, 12 shots)
MONTREAL - Jose Theodore (17 saves, 17 shots)

Old
10-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Jones23

Theodore

Not a horrible game,but a game where the Habs converted their few opportunities when the Isles could not beat Theodore,especially in the third.

A case where the best team that night doesn't always win. :mad:

Old
10-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Tom Liodice

Nothing can be said about the third period other than that it was pretty much all Isles. They generated all sorts of scoring chances, but Jose Theodore was just way too strong for them tonight. Interesting though, in the third period, Bates, Asham, and Bergenheim all did not see action. Stirling decided to mix up the lines, as he swapped Yashin and Peca on the first and second lines, and then used a line of Hunter-Weimer-Papineau on the third line, which was also pretty strong. But nonetheless, Montreal squeaked out another goal on a bad DiPietro clearing attempt, and closed it out 3-0. here's the final scorecard...

END OF GAME
ISLANDERS - 0
MONTREAL - 3

SCORING
Period 2 - MTL, Hossa 1 (Ribiero, Quintal), 18:00
Period 3 - MTL, Dackell 2 (Juneau, Bulis), 17:38

PENALTIES
Period 2 - MTL, Rivet (Obstruction Interference), :15; MTL, Bench Minor (Too Many Men), 8:58; NYI, Peca (Slashing), 9:44; MTL, Rivet (Slashing), 9:44
Period 3 - None

SHOTS ON GOAL
ISLANDERS- 7 - 10 - 17 = 34
MONTREAL- 6 - 6 - 9 = 21

GOALTENDERS
ISLANDERS - Rick DiPietro (18 saves, 21 shots)
MONTREAL - Jose Theodore (34 saves, 34 shots)

Old
10-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
You guys played a good game with lots of intensity, Theo was just a wall tonight, well... he's been great so far this season..

Yashin played a great 3rd period but couldn't find the back of the net.

And Peca really nailed Juneau in the first period, unfortunatly I didn't saw a good replay of it.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:30 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
You guys played a good game with lots of intensity, Theo was just a wall tonight, well... he's been great so far this season..

Yashin played a great 3rd period but couldn't find the back of the net.

And Peca really nailed Juneau in the first period, unfortunatly I didn't saw a good replay of it.
I disagree about the intensity.I kept wondering why the isles weren't playing more physical.Last season they really turned up the rough play against the Habs and had success with it.

Theodore was great.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Well, this year the Habs didn't shy away from the rough play, Ward, Souray, Ryder and Bégin are bringing more intensity to team as a whole and we react more correctly to the rough play. I don't mean that the Habs are a rough team, just that it's not affecting them as much as last year... man... that was so harsh looking at them being tossed around and doing nothing.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I disagree about the intensity.I kept wondering why the isles weren't playing more physical.Last season they really turned up the rough play against the Habs and had success with it.

Theodore was great.
I was expecting more of a physical game out of the Islanders as well, but when you look at the team they iced tonight (without Scatchard and Godard), well they just arn't that physical of a hockey club.

And it should be noted that the Habs we've seen so far this season are a far cry from last years club. The club isn't all that much bigger, but Souray has been a big addition on defence, and guys like Begin, Ward and Ryder have added some much needed intensity and sandpaper to our forward lines. Those guys arn't heavyweights by any stretch, but they were just what the doctor ordered. Darren Langdon and Chad Kilger will make also help out in the physical department when they make their regular season debuts in the next few weeks.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
A good game tonight. The Isles did not bring thier "A" game but the Habs team D might have had a lot to do with it. We had a ton of shots but very few scoring chances. I don't think it was a great game by Theo, jsut making one or two very good saves and a host of others from the outside.

The Habs really controlled the play in thier zone all night.

Congrats to them tonight!

-Tiki

Old
10-24-2003, 02:32 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

josie and the ******* always give us trouble. hes a puzzle we cant solve

Old
10-24-2003, 03:37 AM
Moosie

vs. Montreal

Theodore was the story. It bothers me that Stirling broke up the Yashin-Chow-Kvasha line in the third. They were playing well together, and I think they would have broken through eventually.

Old
10-24-2003, 04:05 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

I jinxed it with my talk of the 3-0 loss from two years ago. My bad.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:35 AM
NYIsles1*

Gotta give Theodore and the Habs defense high marks, the Islanders were playing pretty well, but Montreal kept them to the sides and kept the quality chances down. Habs trap really contained the Isles and pressured the puck and powerplay all night.

Seemed like the kind of game where Scatchard was really missed and could have done something in front of the opposing goal, but Wiemer played well. He had an early chance and Theodore just made a great save.

The fourth line of Bergenheim-Papineau-Hunter had some opportunities, Bergenheim lost his man on the second goal.

Outside of DiPietro's wandering that cost them the the third goal and another where Niinimaa had to stop a shot with his hand, he played solid in net.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Tom Liodice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie
Theodore was the story. It bothers me that Stirling broke up the Yashin-Chow-Kvasha line in the third. They were playing well together, and I think they would have broken through eventually.
What really bothers me though is the benching of Bates, Asham, and Bergenheim in the 3rd period. Something definitely has to be up with that....

~TL

Old
10-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Moosie

Montreal

I thought the guys played a little tentatively early on, maybe too much patience was shown. But overall, they played a good game. Rick might have stopped that first goal, but it wasn't terrible. My friend and I disagreed about Martinek's play. I thought he looked pretty good. I can't really point to anyone who played poorly. They mostly just ran into a hot goalie. This game sure messed up my fantasy team. I've got Rick, Parrish and Mariusz. Thank God for Kovalchuk or I would have big trouble.

Old
10-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Corey

Right, Chow played well. That is as, well as he usually did at the Bell Centre last year, with no points and a minus 2.

Yashin, Peca, Papineau, and Hunter played well in the 3rd period but it was too late.

Closed Thread