HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookie Game: Capitals at Flyers, Thursday, Sept. 15, 2011, 5:00 PM (ET)

Old
09-15-2011, 11:30 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Also, why isn't petr placek at camp or in the game? Im assuming it's because he has collegiate obligations?
Yes, he'd be in classes right now. And Ivy League schools don't bend for athletes.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:46 AM
SCanedinavian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I think your camera work was better than what was on the link I watched. I had to take a Dramamine half way through.

I'd like to see what Akeson could do with Briere and Hartnell. A cheaper Leino, perhaps.
co-sign on the camerawork, I had to stop watching the stream on NHL.com cause it was so jittery and the camerawork so bad it made my eyes melt.

SCanedinavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:04 AM
mirimon

Our defense was pretty shoddy. Blidstrand had an awful game, he was tentative and not comfortable with the puck at all. Lauridsen needs to be a either quicker on the skates or learn to get into the right position faster, he didn't impress in a game where he has two, three, four years on his opponents. Suellentrop didn't exactly stand out in a positive light either, but he has some years to grow on though.

Kessel was probably the best of them due to his offensive play, but, just based off this game, he needs a lot of work before being ready for the big show. I think Hostetter was pretty decent as well. One of the try-out kids, Boutet or something, had some pretty good puckhandling skills though. He was perhaps a bit too comfortable at times, making some risky plays in front of our own goal.

Schenn and Couturier didn't have any breakout games, but they were almost always involved in what happened. Akeson had a good game, showed some really nice vision. I had hoped for a little more from guys like Cousins and Ranford though. Cousins made things a little too difficult for himself a few times and Ranford was pretty much invisible.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:19 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It's better than it started as.

He's the best defenseman overall so far.

He's better than expected in my opinion. Only slightly though. Good offense, crappy defense is about what I expected.
I'm sure the Flyers are well aware that his defensive game needs work. That can be vastly improved with quality Coaching, and the player gaining experience at the AHL level. But it's obvious the raw skill and tools are there. That is something that can't be taught. So it's obvious the reasons why the Flyers signed him, and want him in their development system. And it's obvious that he's not a "meh" player.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Our defense was pretty shoddy. Blidstrand had an awful game, he was tentative and not comfortable with the puck at all. Lauridsen needs to be a either quicker on the skates or learn to get into the right position faster, he didn't impress in a game where he has two, three, four years on his opponents. Suellentrop didn't exactly stand out in a positive light either, but he has some years to grow on though.

Kessel was probably the best of them due to his offensive play, but, just based off this game, he needs a lot of work before being ready for the big show. I think Hostetter was pretty decent as well. One of the try-out kids, Boutet or something, had some pretty good puckhandling skills though. He was perhaps a bit too comfortable at times, making some risky plays in front of our own goal.

Schenn and Couturier didn't have any breakout games, but they were almost always involved in what happened. Akeson had a good game, showed some really nice vision. I had hoped for a little more from guys like Cousins and Ranford though. Cousins made things a little too difficult for himself a few times and Ranford was pretty much invisible.
Ranford was invisible and Cousins was trying way to hard rather than letting the game come to him.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Didn't see the game, but from what I have read the gist of the game seems to be:

-Akeson killed it
-Couturier didn't really impress
-Schenn played well
-Zolinyerixk (sp?) was fast

That about right? Did I miss anything?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:30 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Didn't see the game, but from what I have read the gist of the game seems to be:

-Akeson killed it
-Couturier didn't really impress
-Schenn played well
-Zolinyerixk (sp?) was fast

That about right? Did I miss anything?
Couturier needs to bulk up for NHL competition but he had his moments. The goalies were standouts especially Houser. Tyler Brown had a good game, too, as was advertised earlier in the week. Kessel had a nice game.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:38 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1445
A couple of post-game articles:

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...-of-attention/

Quote:
WELLS FARGO CENTER — Yes, he’s a defenseman, but Blake Kessel has found the center of the spotlight. Thursday night’s rookie game marked the first game in a Flyers uniform for Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier, but instead all the reporters circled around the 22-year-old blueliner who was just given a contract by the Flyers on Wednesday and celebrated by scoring a goal and adding an assist.

“It was something I always dreamed of and I can’t think of a better organization, a first-class organization to be a part of, so I am really excited about it,” Kessel said.

He was drafted by the New York Islanders in 2007, but didn’t sign there because he thought he could get a better opportunity elsewhere.

“It seemed like they didn’t have a spot for me at the time,” he said. “They had a couple other young guys that they were going to look at before me, so it just didn’t work out with them at the time. They had been developing their organization over the last few years really well and they had some great young defensemen, so that was kind of the way they went and it was not my direction.”
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...t%7CSports%7Cp

Quote:
On a night Flyers fans had their first good looks at new top prospects Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier, Kessel lived up to the family name by putting on a show for a Wells Fargo Center crowd of 11,000 that showed up for free to watch a rookie game against the Washington Capitals.

In a second-period flourish, Kessel set up the equalizer and scored the go-ahead goal 2:29 apart, and the Flyers went on to win 3-2.

“I couldn’t be happier with the (Kessel) name because I love my brother,” said Blake, who at 22 is a year younger than Phil. “He and I are like best friends. It does put a little pressure on you, obviously, but I like the pressure. Everyone is going to compare you, and it’s hard to be compared to him, but I’ll try my best.”

This definitely was a good first impression by Kessel, who signed an entry-level contract with the Flyers on Wednesday after being shunned by the New York Islanders, who had taken him in the sixth round of the 2006 Entry Draft.
Edit:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...100&feedID=695

Quote:
Houser held off the Caps' rookies, especially in the third period when the opposition turned it on and eventually pulled their goalie to get an extra attacker on the ice. He was cool under pressure. Houser did yield one goal in the game, but he finished very strong. The Caps' rookies outshot the Flyers, 26-24.

“It felt good. It’s hard to come in halfway during a game, but you have to just stay mentally prepared while you are on the bench, watch the game closely and be ready when your name is called,” Houser said. “It was a pretty close game out there and it was high tempo and the guys were flying, so it was a good game to play in and it was fun.”

During the game some fans, who are always inventive and were in mid-season form, started chanting “Doogie, Doogie”, a take off of the former network television show, “Doogie Howser, M.D”. The hope was that the backstop heard them, but Houser's focus was strictly on the game.
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...f-with-flyers/

Quote:
WELLS FARGO CENTER — With a specific mention from general manager Paul Holmgren earlier in the week and rise-from-your-seat goal in Thursday’s rookie game against the Washington Capitals at the Wells Fargo Center, previously unknown 21-year-old Tyler Brown has made a name for himself in the Flyers’ organization.

“I’m speechless about it,” said Brown after the Flyers’ 3-2 win. “It was my first real game and it feels great getting it off my back. I thought I played pretty well and there is more I can do. I’m looking forward to the rest of camp.”

Already earning the eyes of the Flyers’ brass during the drill-heavy camp, which on Thursday included in-house appearances from Ian Laperriere, Peter Laviolette, Craig Berube and Holmgren, Brown performed noticeably well under the spotlight displaying good vision, quickness and offensive instincts.

“He showed what he can do today, he has very good speed and scored a very nice goal,” said Holmgren of Brown. “He had some good opportunities. He was able to get in some good areas because of his speed.”
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...f-with-flyers/

Quote:
Although Sean Couturier earned an assist on Blake Kessel's power play goal in the second period, the eighth overall pick of the 2011 Entry Draft did not look like a player who is ready to compete in the NHL. He was frequently knocked off the puck and did not show the sort of explosive stride necessary to gain separation and create operating room. More muscle and more skating work are definitely needed, although this was only one game.

Brayden Schenn did not get on the scoreboard in this game but was the best player on the ice at certain junctures of the game (although Washington's Cody Eakin was the best player over the balance of the game). Schenn never really dominated in the game, but you could see that he possesses a skill level and degree of polish to his game that is a cut above most of the others who were on the ice yesterday.

Kessel has always possessed a good shot, so it was not all that surprising to see him score a goal in the game. He also earned an assist. There is work to be done on his defensive game -- both he and partner Oliver Lauridsen got in self-created trouble at times -- but the Flyers knew going into camp that the former UNH defenseman is still a work in progress.

Even before the rookie game, Tyler Brown was cited by Paul Holmgren as the camp's most pleasant surprise. He lived up to that yesterday as well, not only scoring a goal but also displaying NHL caliber speed. His upside is as a checking line type but he's still a player to keep an eye on with the Phantoms as a rookie this season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Thanks.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

My thoughts as the Semin jersey in Section 119. Note that the fact I was directly behind the net the Capitals' rooks shot at twice and my focus mainly being on Caps prospects may color my observations slightly. It was difficult to read numbers of Flyers players during the second period (your best period), so that may result in some different conclusions.

Akeson didn't quite stand out to me the same way many of you who watched at home are describing him. He was good, and getting into the thick of things around the net, but he didn't really catch my eye all that often.

Tyler Brown was constantly in the action around the net, and had that awesome goal in the 2nd. Was really impressed with him. Not sure if he has enough high-end attributes to be more than a fringe NHLer, but he certainly showed a lot in that game. Definitely worthy of a contract.

Harry Zakdytiauh had blazing speed and was a weapon for that alone. He really stood out because of it. Wasn't afraid be engaged in the defensive zone, either. I think Zlkjfesady could be a Darren Helm-lite type of player.

I wouldn't read too much into Schenn's lack of production in the offensive zone. It seemed like he and Eakin did a good job at neutralizing each other. Considering their history against each other in the WHL (and being linemates at the WJC), that doesn't really surprise me. Schenn was effective in the faceoff circle (against both Eakin and Sjogren) and was probably your best defensive player (even counting your defensemen). He was terrific on the PK. Got beat by Orlov early, but was more effective against him later.

Courturier, on the other hand, didn't really stand out much at all. Wasn't nearly as effective in the circle (most of his "wins" came from a flyers winger beating out a caps winger on a 50/50 chance), seemed smallish in the defensive zone, and didn't really seem to click offensively. Was not impressed.

Dookie Hauser's got mean lateral movement and a great glove. Wow.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:58 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers1974 View Post
I just got home from the game. Akeson by a country mile was the best Flyer. His stick handling was impressive, only if he had some decent wingers to work with tonight. I wonder if the Flyers know that he is keeper???? What I would like to see is Schenn, Couturier, and Akeson on the same line for at least one exhibition game. Couturier can play LW and Akeson can play RW. The SAC line........... Brown, Z were not bad either. Flemming and Henley for the Caps were big dudes. Kessel has some decent skills as an
offensive defenseman, needs a lot more defensive awareness. The other defensemen
were just ok. And Mathers, was not as horrible a skater as I thought, he cannot be any slower than Shelley. Of course Mathers doesn't have Shelley's skill set.......;-))))). Maybe this has already been mentioned but why didn't Rinaldo or Pither play?? Rinaldo would have been in the penalty box all night long; the refereeing was mediocre at best. Where they NHL refs and linesmen???
I think the reason Rinaldo and Pither didn't play is because it is the rookie game, so I think it is for guys who haven't played for the Flyers or the Phantoms before, or at least haven't played much like Harry Zo--nick. The only Cap I know of is Orlov, and he has only played 25 games for Hershey with the regular and post season combined.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:38 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Defense - poor all around. A lot of the passing wasn't strong.

Schenn looked liked he belonged. He was around the puck a lot. Made some decent passes, some bad ones, showed good vision, and won a ton of draws. He was also shifted once to simply win the draw and get off the ice. He did. Still needs work. His play was sloppy at times. Most of the play looked sloppy and a bit confused (it was fun to watch though)-- and not the controlled and crisp NHL level, and Schenn looked a lot crisper than everyone else on the ice. Skating was fluid and looked effortless.

Couturier looked like a duck out of water, but seemed to always be around the play.

Akeson and Z have some wheels and decent vision.

Edit: Hyka. Looked energized. Scored an aggressive goal. Someone they'll have to look at. Played with Couts line. He made an impact on a lot of his shifts.

Most of the other forwards were invisible, unless I'm forgetting someone.

"Doogie" made some amazing saves.

Anderson was getting razzed by the fans only to pull off an amazing save to quiet them down. He even pumped his jersey a bit at the glass to respond to the heckling. The fans continued to call his name.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Was Zolnierczyk in the 50's for his jersey number. I think it was him that flew down the wing and threw the puck infront of the net. Scary speed.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:49 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Was Zolnierczyk in the 50's for his jersey number. I think it was him that flew down the wing and threw the puck infront of the net. Scary speed.
Iirc he had number 29.

Edit: Maybe you're thinking of Brown. He surprised me with his speed at least.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Well, whoever it was, they had the play I showed above. Completely burnt a defender in the neutral zone.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote