HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PowerPlay Pointmen

Old
09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
PowerPlay Pointmen

So what to do with Staal? IMO id keep him off the PP if all breaks the way i think it will:

If one of Erixon and Del Zotto make the squad (both could with Sauer's knee issues) then we are looking at a lot of QB options at the point for the power play.

1. Richards - obviously you want him there because its one of his specialties. Hes got a rocket of a one-timer and thats something the Rangers need badly.

2. Erixon - He qb'd the point in the SEL and we all saw his patience, poise and decisiveness in the Traverse City Tourney. If he makes the team, i definitely see him getting a shot here. Hes got the ability to take one-timers AND hit the net with the shot from a sliding point position. Thats what you want. If not the first unit, definitely give him a shot on the second.

3. Del Zotto - The Rangers would be foolish to give up on him, as he has had flashes in the past of providing some good play on the point of the PP. Maybe not top unit material to start but you gotta give him some looks at least if he makes the team.

4. Staal - Hes been given ample time and opportunity to raise his offensive game, and it is coming along slowly. But for me, maybe its worth more to the team to give him a few more minutes off per game to concentrate on what he does best and thats shutting down the oppositions best. Of course you want your big stud Dman to contribute in all facets of the game, but the Rangers have 4 guys who are lefties that can man the PP point, and more importantly on their off-side to get one timers off. Staal is, ah, ok at best with that.

So would it be smart to pair one or two of these guys with a right handed shot on their off-side as well? I am always a proponent of loading up on one-timer ability as much as you can on the PP. Girardi isnt the greatest, but he can get some shots through. Two lefties at the point, Erixon and Richards for instance, wouldnt be the end of the world because they both know how to rotate, with a guy like Callahan who can come further up to support and be facing the passer ready for a shot which is key. Even Stepan might be able to step up this year and take it to another level in that role on the half boards or even the left point to feed Richards or Erixon with one-timers (and even be able to rip them off himself if need be)

Definitely something to think about.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-15-2011 at 11:29 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I'm banking on Richards and Erixon

09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

PP1:

Callahan Dubinsky Gaborik
Del Zotto Richards

PP2:

Stepan Anisimov Zuccarello
Staal/Girardi Erixon

Erixon and Richards both excel at the right point on the PP if I'm not mistaken, so I'd split them up for now unless one of them is just as good on the left point. I'd also say the final point spot is up for grabs. I'd love it to be staal but Girardi, Sauer, and even Stepan may excel there.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:01 PM
OverTheCap

I think both Erixon and DZ will get a shot in training camp to man the point with Richards.

Staal should most definitely be kept off the 1st PP unit. I don't mind if he plays on the 2nd PP unit, but he's not the type of d-man that's suited for the PP. He's too hesitant and isn't particularly adept at keeping the puck in. Offensively, I think he's better at even strength than on the PP.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:37 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

PP Unit 1:
Dubinsky-Callahan-Gaborik
Valentenko-Richards

PP Unit 2:

Stepan-Anisimov-Boyle/MZA
Staal/Girardi-Erixon

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
If I'm not mistaken, during the 2009-10 season, Gaborik was on the left side, where you have Callahan. Why doesn't he go back there? I've been wondering if that's one of the reasons why our PP was so bad last year.

09-16-2011, 07:25 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Just something else I wanted to add onto your Erixon segment: Besides his experience of playing the point and getting his shot through, his ability to read the play is pretty impressive. From the little i've watched him (including some games during his time in the SEL) I have always felt that the reason why he succeeded on the PP was his ability to read the opposition and then make the best possible pass or knowing when to swap sides with his teammate on the point.

Anyway this is how I see the PP units:

Unit 1: Callahan-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Richards-Del Zotto

Unit 2: Wolski-Stepan/Anisimov-Zuccarello
Staal-Erixon

I'm sure we'll see Erixon and DZ rotate on and off of that first unit depending on their recent play.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:33 AM
NYR Viper

Wolski-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Richards-Erixon

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Richards, Erixon, Del Zotto, and Stepan.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Synergy27

Keep Staal off the PP if only to find him some rest time. The guy logs an insane amount of minutes, no need to force even more on him if the team has other adequate options.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:05 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vtank and richards
gaby stepan w2

erixon and richards
gaby dubi cally

del zottos shot doesnt impress me all that much. in fact, its rather weak. vtanks does. its a rocket. richards smarts and skating can cover up for vtank if nec. vtanks shot needs to be out there.

richards makes the pp go with his ability to hit the net and distribute pucks from up top. vtank gives us the cannon shot weve been lacking. erixon will give us another reliable/acurate shot from up top.

imo, richards makes mdz redundant. i want richards and gaby playing the entire 2 minutes every pp. they are our best offensive players.

i would also like to see boyle on the pp at some point standing in front of the crease

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Richards, Erixon, Del Zotto, and Stepan.
pretty much. Although I imagine Steps will play F more now that Richards is in

So top of my head

Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan
Richards, Del Zotto

Wolski, Anisimov, Stepan (i find it werid typing those 3 together but offensively best options
Staal, Erixon

if Zuke makes the team I am sure he sees time too

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Levitate

Almost positive we'll see Staal on the point to start the season, assuming Del Zotto doesn't make the team. I have doubts they'll start Erixon on the first unit right away and I believe Tortorella said earlier in the summer that they wanted to push Staal and get him some more icetime on the PP

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
vtank and richards
gaby stepan w2

erixon and richards
gaby dubi cally

del zottos shot doesnt impress me all that much. in fact, its rather weak. vtanks does. its a rocket. richards smarts and skating can cover up for vtank if nec. vtanks shot needs to be out there.

richards makes the pp go with his ability to hit the net and distribute pucks from up top. vtank gives us the cannon shot weve been lacking. erixon will give us another reliable/acurate shot from up top.

imo, richards makes mdz redundant. i want richards and gaby playing the entire 2 minutes every pp. they are our best offensive players.

i would also like to see boyle on the pp at some point standing in front of the crease
Richards, a center, doesn't make Del Zotto, a puck moving defenseman, redundant.

Valentenko is NOT making this roster over Del Zotto.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:40 AM
ogie

whoa easy now everyone ... who says that DelZotto makes the team period. It might be a little early to pencil him in on the first PP unit.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Richards, a center, doesn't make Del Zotto, a puck moving defenseman, redundant.

Thank you. I don't see a guy with 0 pp goals in the minors stepping into the first pp unit right off the bat. Right handed shot or not.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Levitate

Quote:
heyyyyyy finally someone who isn't infatuated with Valentenko

Guy seems to be a decent prospect but I guess I'll just be surprised if he makes the roster. He has a big shot but can't score or put up points and I believe it was said he has some mobility problems in Hartford (though maybe I'm making that up).

Old
09-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I have a strong feeling youre going to eat those words in a few weeks.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
heyyyyyy finally someone who isn't infatuated with Valentenko

Guy seems to be a decent prospect but I guess I'll just be surprised if he makes the roster. He has a big shot but can't score or put up points and I believe it was said he has some mobility problems in Hartford (though maybe I'm making that up).
Im certainly not infatuated with Valentenko, and certainly think Del Zotto is the more talented player with the higher ceiling - but its just an analysis of where they are with their careers.

Del Zotto is 21, coming off a lost season where he lost confidence and couldnt get out of his own way. He got injured after he was sent down to the Pack and didnt get the time he needs to develop down there. It makes little sense to keep him on this roster as a 7th or pair him on the 3rd pairing with an inexperienced Erixon.

Valentenko is 24 and has nowhere else to go when it comes to his developmental path. It makes sense for him to stick as a 6th/7th guy.

Old
09-16-2011, 08:52 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

on the pp, it does.... obviously.

and were gonna have to disagree on vtank.

hes the one guy im praying makes this roster outa camp. he played well enough last camp to make the team.

hes healthy now and looking for a job.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:01 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Would not want to put Erixon in that position just yet.

He's still adjusting to the smaller rinks and could be a liability out there.

Looking good against kids is one thing.

If I had to choose between Erixon and Dizzy, I'll take Dizzy.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Valentenko is 24 and has nowhere else to go when it comes to his developmental path. It makes sense for him to stick as a 6th/7th guy.
Or...he doesn't make the NHL with the Rangers because there are better players available. That happens sometimes too.

Del Zotto, Erixon, hell even Partlett could beat him out for a NHL spot by playing better in camp. You aren't guaranteed a roster spot after you put in your time in the AHL

Old
09-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Or...he doesn't make the NHL with the Rangers because there are better players available. That happens sometimes too.

Del Zotto, Erixon, hell even Partlett could beat him out for a NHL spot by playing better in camp. You aren't guaranteed a roster spot after you put in your time in the AHL
I thought the issue was who makes the roster.

What good does being a 7th D-man do for Erixon, Del Zotto, or Partlett?

I see:

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - McDonagh
Erixon - Eminger
Valentenko (getting some sport starts here and there over Eminger)

Can things change at camp? Of course. But Del Zotto didnt look like a better player than anyone last time we saw him.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Levitate

I think it's just as likely that Emminger is the 7th D man, depending on how camp goes

Old
09-16-2011, 09:17 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

As usual, no respect for Valentenko. This team needs both puck distribution and physical presence on the blueline. At this point, however, especially with the addition of Richards and the likelihood of Erixon making the squad, they need the latter even more.

Making the argument that Valentenko isn't the right guy for the PP is fair, although it makes a lot of sense to me considering he'd be there for one purpose and one purpose only: his booming shot. However, it's really unfair to dismiss him from the possibility of making the team in general.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote