HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Karlsson's next contract?

Old
09-15-2011, 09:00 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
it means constant salary throughout the contract.

Now: 5M a year for 5 years can be 10, 8, 4, 2, 1.
if this goes through, 5M a year for 5 years means 5, 5, 5, 5, 5.

it would eliminate frontloading and backloading of contracts (note that the tyler myers deal is heavily frontloaded).

09-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Manny*

vCash: 500
Karlsson shouldn't get Myers money.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
If you care to unpack that for me, I'd be up for discussing.

Right I'm wondering what "earn his matching cap hit" means. It reminds me of the Yahoo Serious Festival...
As danishh said, earning the same salary each year.

Nothing like 10,6,6,6,2,2.

Instead, it would have to be 5 5 5 5 5.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:12 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
As danishh said, earning the same salary each year.

Nothing like 10,6,6,6,2,2.

Instead, it would have to be 5 5 5 5 5.
OK now I see. Thanks.

That would certainly alter the way contracts are handed out, but I would imagine they'll result in owners spending to the ceiling to get one guy for one year. So rather than long-term contracts, we'd end up with mercenary players looking for the highest bidder year after year.

I could be off, but it just seems like the owners set these rules to protect themselves from what they'd done to each other in the past- only exploit a new loophole created by cinching another one up.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:03 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

well, the schenn contract may alter the marketplace a bit.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Jason Squirtle

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375906

Rumoured to be 5 year deal at 3.6 mil per season cap hit. I think that's a pretty good deal for a defensive defenseman who averages 22 minutes a game.

I think that puts us in a good position to sign Karlsson. Assuming Karlsson puts up 50 points and he begins to play in all situations while posting an average of 22-25 minutes and improving on his defensive play at both even strength and on the penalty kill, I can see him commanding a 2-3 years deal at 6-6.5 million. If we get him longer term say 5-8 years it'll go down to 5-5.5 million.

Feel free to agree or disagree. Anything over 7 million and I feel like he would really have to turn into a top 5 defensemen in all aspects of his game for his size. I'm talking Lidstrom, Keith, Green or Doughty to a lesser extent.

Last edited by Jason Squirtle: 09-16-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Jason Squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:49 AM
longsuffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Squirtle View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375906

Rumoured to be 5 year deal at 3.6 mil per season cap hit. I think that's a pretty good deal for a defensive defenseman who averages 22 minutes a game.

I think that puts us in a good position to sign Karlsson. Assuming Karlsson puts up 50 points and he begins to play in all situations while posting an average of 22-25 minutes and improving on his defensive play at both even strength and on the penalty kill, I can see him commanding a 2-3 years deal at 6-6.5 million. If we get him longer term say 5-8 years it'll go down to 5-5.5 million.

Feel free to agree or disagree. Anything over 7 million and I feel like he would really have to turn into a top 5 defensemen in all aspects of his game for his size. I'm talking Lidstrom, Keith, Green or Doughty to a lesser extent.
Am I missing something, do you really think Karlsson is going to get 2 -3 million per year more than Schenn a year? Wow, anything over 7 million, wtf??? Sorry, Karllson does not deserve to be in the same conversation as Lidstrom or Keith.

Karlson had 45 pts to Schenns 22pts, Karlson is obviously a much better offensive player, but that is an extra point every 4 games.

Schenn is much better defensively, I don't see Karlson being worth 2 -3 million dollars per year more than Schenn, nothing....

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Jason Squirtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Am I missing something, do you really think Karlsson is going to get 2 -3 million per year more than Schenn a year? Wow, anything over 7 million, wtf??? Sorry, Karllson does not deserve to be in the same conversation as Lidstrom or Keith.

Karlson had 45 pts to Schenns 22pts, Karlson is obviously a much better offensive player, but that is an extra point every 4 games.

Schenn is much better defensively, I don't see Karlson being worth 2 -3 million dollars per year more than Schenn, nothing....
Notice how I used alot of potential benchmarks he would have to hit in order to deserve that kind of money? Offensive defensemen generally make much more than defensive defensemen. If Schenn is only averaging about 20-25 points while Karlsson is doubling his production AND he betters his defensive play I don't see why he wouldn't get 6 million on a short term contract.

If Karlsson were to remain a defensive liability then I would agree with you, he would deserve much less, but I feel his defensive play towards the end of the season like many others on this forum improved greatly. He played a solid 20 mins on most nights.

You also have to consider the inflation on a lot of contracts. The cap has gone up. If the CBA decreases the cap ceiling drastically then you may have an arguement.

Old
09-16-2011, 10:13 AM
longsuffering

Quote:
Notice how I used alot of potential benchmarks he would have to hit in order to deserve that kind of money? Offensive defensemen generally make much more than defensive defensemen. If Schenn is only averaging about 20-25 points while Karlsson is doubling his production AND he betters his defensive play I don't see why he wouldn't get 6 million on a short term contract.

If Karlsson were to remain a defensive liability then I would agree with you, he would deserve much less, but I feel his defensive play towards the end of the season like many others on this forum improved greatly. He played a solid 20 mins on most nights.

You also have to consider the inflation on a lot of contracts. The cap has gone up. If the CBA decreases the cap ceiling drastically then you may have an arguement.
Fair enough, but IMO, Karlsson has to improve his defensive play just to become average, not elite, but average. His offense is what makes him special, but at the end of the day, if he hangs another -35, 6 million a year would be a horrible investment.

On a seperate point, debating a contract situation seems a lot more like a hockey board thread than starting a string about how hot the senators, especially for a bunch of guys, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

Old
09-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Jason Squirtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Fair enough, but IMO, Karlsson has to improve his defensive play just to become average, not elite, but average. His offense is what makes him special, but at the end of the day, if he hangs another -35, 6 million a year would be a horrible investment.

On a seperate point, debating a contract situation seems a lot more like a hockey board thread than starting a string about how hot the senators, especially for a bunch of guys, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
I am attracted to Karlsson's hot-boyish frame. Don't deny that you aren't either.

Old
09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
longsuffering

Quote:
I am attracted to Karlsson's hot-boyish frame. Don't deny that you aren't either.
Sure thing bud

Old
09-16-2011, 10:51 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I'd give him 6 years at 4.5 million per season.

09-16-2011, 11:03 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

4 years @ 4.5 per.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:14 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
4 years @ 4.5 per.
Solid deal (could even make it a 3 year deal and he'd still be RFA at the end of the contract). I'd even offer EK this deal at an increased salary each year (something like yr 1 3.5M, yr 2 4M, yr 3 5M, yr 4 5.5M).

That or a short term deal like 2 years, 8 or 9M. Then we can talk about a long-term, 5+ year deal.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:28 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I think we are looking 5yr - 27.5M. Too much but he will get it.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
guyzeur

2 year, 4M per

Next one will be expensive.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Minister of Offence

It depends way too much on how he plays this year.

Being a point producer and a franchise player to be, he could get around 5 mil over a long term.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:07 PM
BigEyedPhish

I'd give Karlsson a Long contract if it lowers the numbers..

We will have to hold onto Rundblad/Cowen in the future as well and it could easily turn into a
Redden vs. Chara type of deal.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:13 PM
SPLBRUIN

Karlsson's upside is greater then Schenn's, but right now Schenn is easily the better player. He is a consistent physical presence who shows signs of being a shutdown D, he also makes the safe smart plays with the puck, not fancy but effective. Karlsson is a trainwreck in his own end, at this point his offensive prowess dosen't overcome his defensive shortcomings. If he belonged in a stronger teams organization, these last 2 years would have been mostly spent in the AHL.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:59 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 109
fair contract.

kinda new to this aspect of the nhl but hear me out, 5 17.5 million (evend out to 3.5mill) , plus we can put some bonuses for
higher +/- stats. i have no idea why players are signed for 13 years in my opinion the maximum should be 8 years maximum and players should earn an equal amount each year( Talbot, tavaras)

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

8 years, 40 to 45 million.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

9 years, 45 million, front loaded.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
I hope we get it done before July 1. And more importantly before arbitration.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Cherith Cutestory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
I hope we get it done before July 1. And more importantly before arbitration.
Could be wrong, but I don't think he holds arbitration rights.

Regardless, a contract getting done by July 1st would be good for all.

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherith Cutestory View Post
Could be wrong, but I don't think he holds arbitration rights.

Regardless, a contract getting done by July 1st would be good for all.
I have no clue. Hopefully you're right.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote