HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Trottier’s Fearless 2011-12 Predictions

Old
09-16-2011, 11:41 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
The Rangers have a very good team but I don't think they're a great team at all. They're probably going to finish higher than us and make the playoffs handily, but.......I don't know, I look at their roster and nothing jumps out at me saying "wow these guys are gonna be great this year!" And Tortorella better deliver because if they struggle at any point this season I think he'll be the first one to go.
I see an elite goalie, a very deep forward group, and an improving defense. No doubt adding a first-line center helps. I don't see what's not to like.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:48 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

I see the same Rangers team I see every year. Lindros Bure. Jagr Gomez. Gaborik Richards

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:52 AM
apice3*

Quote:
The Rangers have a very good team but I don't think they're a great team at all. They're probably going to finish higher than us and make the playoffs handily, but.......I don't know, I look at their roster and nothing jumps out at me saying "wow these guys are gonna be great this year!" And Tortorella better deliver because if they struggle at any point this season I think he'll be the first one to go.
You have a top 6 that includes Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, and Callahan. Stepan is very good for his age, Fedotenko is a solid complimentary player, and if Boyle can match his season last year, they have a very good bottom 6.

The defense has one of the best shutdown pairs in the league, and a few young, but good D-men.

Bolstering the team is the best goalie in the league.

How on Earth is this not a great team? What else do they have to do to meet your standards, aside from moving to the West Coast?

If you give the Devils their roster, we'd be penning ourselves into the Cup finals.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
The Rangers have a good team, but I think they have some serious injury risks in important roles. I'm not sure their depth could handle it if Gaborik or Richards went down.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:54 AM
The Grinder
No Respect

In division I see

Pens
Rangers
Devils/Flyers
Isles

I say 3 from the Atlantic make it to the playoffs with Buffalo, Montreal, Boston, Caps and Tampa.

Division games need to be won in regulation if we can help it.

The Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Eh, Richards and Gaborik.

The rest of the team is build like the Bruins, not flashy, but all-around solid. Physical, hard working and with character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The Rangers have a good team, but I think they have some serious injury risks in important roles. I'm not sure their depth could handle it if Gaborik or Richards went down.
Good point, I tend to agree. But watching the Pens last year and Torts` defensive game, they should make it even if that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
I see the same Rangers team I see every year. Lindros Bure. Jagr Gomez. Gaborik Richards

Last edited by Getzo5: 09-16-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
12 – Philadelphia Flyers – when those Richards and Carter deals were made, all one read was “this makes the Flyers really good in the fuuuuture”. Perhaps. But that future is not now. The Flyers went from mean and huge and talented down the middle to…talented, smaller and inexperienced. Bryz is the latest version of the hero goalie on inferior teams who has yet to win an important NHL game. Lavy wears on his teams after a couple of seasons. Hence this surprise prediction.
Great post, Trotts. I miss reading your posts on the Isles' forum.

The only major disagreement I have with your predictions is the quoted one above. This is painful for me to say (given the Pens/Flyers rivalry), but I actually think they're going to challenge for the division title this year.

In nets, regular season-wise anyway, they've improved with the signing of Bryzgalov. Or at the very least, they've acquired someone who will give them the same consistent effort every night. And on defense, they return largely the same defense that ranks amongst the tops in hockey. A top five of Pronger, Timonen, Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros, along with Bryz in nets, IMO, is enough to challenge for the 8th spot, even without anything up front.

But up front, I actually think they'll be stronger than some fans think. Losing Richards and Carter isn't going to be easy. That's at least 60 goals and at least 125 points that needs to be replaced. But I think guys like Giroux, Briere, Hartnell, Van Riemsdyk, Jagr (grrr), and Vorachek still give them solid scoring depth, with the potential to be great. I'm also a big fan of Wayne Simmonds, and if Schenn can play anywhere close to as advertised as a rookie, I think they're deep enough up front to safely be a playoff team.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
You have a top 6 that includes Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, and Callahan. Stepan is very good for his age, Fedotenko is a solid complimentary player, and if Boyle can match his season last year, they have a very good bottom 6.

The defense has one of the best shutdown pairs in the league, and a few young, but good D-men.

How on Earth is this not a great team? What else do they have to do to meet your standards, aside from moving to the West Coast?

If you give the Devils their roster, we'd be penning ourselves into the Cup finals.
That's a bold statement(no pun). You think he's better than Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Cam Ward or even Luongo?

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:13 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
That's a bold statement(no pun). You think he's better than Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Cam Ward or even Luongo?
Yes, yes, definitely, and is that a joke?

Thomas had the best team in the league in front of him. He's won two of three Vezina's, but the year in between bothers me. When he's on, he's great. When he's off, he's off for a long time. He's a very streaky goaltender.

Miller is great, and I'd rank him #2. I just think Lundqvist is better, but it's a toss up.

Cam Ward is far too inconsistent, and I'm a huge fan of Ward's game. He has a mediocre team in front of him which really restricts his game, but Lundqvist is miles ahead regardless.

Luongo, yeah. Didn't he get chased in half of his team's playoff games?

Quote:
You can't predict injuries. If Ovechkin goes down, there's no way Washington wins the East. Gotta make predictions based on an assumed, healthy roster.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
The only guy I'd wonder if he wasn't better than would be Ward. The gap isn't huge for any but Luuu, IMO, but I could definitely see that argument for him being the best of that list.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
You can't predict injuries. If Ovechkin goes down, there's no way Washington wins the East. Gotta make predictions based on an assumed, healthy roster.
Not when the players involved are known severe injury risks. Richards has a recent history of concussion, and Gaborik has a litany of recurring injuries. They cannot assume they will be healthy all season. It's similar to the way the Habs are not relying on Markov for the success of their defence, because they cannot do so.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:

Nothing towards him or the Rangers, but this is simply laughable. Experts doesn`t consider him top2, teammates doesn`t consider him top3, top4 is a stretch, but the best in the league? With his deep positioning and glove hand? Please...

Old
09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Yes, yes, definitely, and is that a joke?

Thomas had the best team in the league in front of him. He's won two of three Vezina's, but the year in between bothers me. When he's on, he's great. When he's off, he's off for a long time. He's a very streaky goaltender.

Miller is great, and I'd rank him #2. I just think Lundqvist is better, but it's a toss up.

Cam Ward is far too inconsistent, and I'm a huge fan of Ward's game. He has a mediocre team in front of him which really restricts his game, but Lundqvist is miles ahead regardless.

Luongo, yeah. Didn't he get chased in half of his team's playoff games?
FALSE, geez.

Year in between? Don`t you remember (his play), don`t you take into account (his injury) (Rask`s performances). He was inconsistent before though.

No way in hell Lundqvist is better goalie than Miller. NO WAY. And I`m not saying that because I`m a Devils fan.

Even Rinne isn`t that far.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
FALSE, geez.

Year in between? Don`t you remember (his play), don`t you take into account (his injury) (Rask`s performances). He was inconsistent before though.

No way in hell Lundqvist is a better goalie than Miller. NO WAY. And I`m not saying that because I`m a Devils fan.

Even Rinne isn`t that far.
Im also waiting for Lundqvist to win that big game. When's that gonna come? His postseason performances have left a bit to be desired. Part of the reason I would take Ward over him.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
Im also waiting for Lundqvist to win that big game. When's that gonna come? His postseason performances have left a bit to be desired. Part of the reason I would take Ward over him.
I`m a big fan of Ward but I wouldn`t rank him over Hank...but this is definitely worth mentioning although there have to be some factors taken into account.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:36 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Not when the players involved are known severe injury risks. Richards has a recent history of concussion, and Gaborik has a litany of recurring injuries. They cannot assume they will be healthy all season. It's similar to the way the Habs are not relying on Markov for the success of their defence, because they cannot do so.
Good point. Still, I don't think it's fair to alter predictions based on injuries. Parise can be a health risk too, which effects our seeding. Same goes for Malkin and Crosby, Markov as you said, and several other players around the league.

Quote:
Nothing towards him or the Rangers, but this is simply laughable. Experts doesn`t consider him top2, teammates doesn`t consider him top3, top4 is a stretch, but the best in the league? With his deep positioning and glove hand? Please...
I'm tired of defending a team I hate so I'm just going to stop

Old
09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
I'm tired of defending a team I hate so I'm just going to stop
I usually defend them as well, but I`m absolutely serious about this and not biased at all. We`ve had a loooong conversation with Jim and few other posters (regarding Marty and his ranking) but I`m not going to dig it up.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
I`m a big fan of Ward but I wouldn`t rank him over Hank...but this is definitely worth mentioning although there have to be some factors taken into account.
I'm probably too big of a Ward fan but I consider him the best in the game. Love the way he plays. Numbers would look much better had he played on a better team or on a team with a more defensive system. And he's a big game player which is all I really care about when it comes to a goalie.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:44 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

as much as i hate the rangers, there's just no way i don't see them making the playoffs, even if one of gaborik or richards goes down. if gaborik can return to his form of two years ago, the rangers will have a great chance of winning the division.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
I'm probably too big of a Ward fan but I consider him the best in the game. Love the way he plays. Numbers would look much better had he played on a better team or on a team with a more defensive system. And he's a big game player which is all I really care about when it comes to a goalie.
Not much bigger than me, just a lot less reasonable and even more passionate I guess. Let`s leave it there.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Every single team in the Atlantic has questions to some degree. Pittsburgh doesn't know how effective their superstars will be. The Rangers don't know if their top line will stay healthy. The Flyers don't know if they'll be able to replace 60+ goals. We don't know how effective Parise will be, whether Marty and Kovy will rebound, or how our new coach will do. The Isles don't know if they're done wandering the desert yet with their young but talented squad.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:59 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I think some people are being very harsh on the Rangers. And it probably has something to do with hating them. I hate them too, but if that team isn't a threat to win the division, I don't know who is.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Richer's Ghost
GO SJ & CBJ

vCash: 79
I don't think Thomas can play that good another year - I just don't. I think that was his swan song season. He may still be good even great, but not that great again.

Add to that the cup hangover and I don't see Boston getting near the finals this year.

We're all a bunch of sausage sticks walking around. None of us really wants to see how we were made.
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Tyrion Targaryen*
HALFMAN!!!!

Rangers will only barely make the playoffs as they always do, imo.

Giving an A to a player they just signed in the offseason is so like them, I might add.

Tyrion Targaryen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:01 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddardStark View Post
Rangers will only barely make the playoffs as they always do, imo.

Giving an A to a player they just signed in the offseason is so like them, I might add.
Need I remind you we did that with Stevens

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote