HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Avery on first line with Richards and Gaborik?

View Poll Results: Avery on Line 1?
Avery-Richards-Gaborik 20 22.47%
_____-Richards-Gaborik 69 77.53%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Avery when on his game and using his brain is a very good player, athletic and has a great shot. No reason he couldn't play on the top line, that is other than the fact it's rare that he usually brings all three aspects of his game, to the same game....
Not sure about that, but when Avery's on, he does contribute in various ways.

That line needs a bull. Neither Richards nor Gaborik are going to forecheck effectively. Neither player excels on boards or in dirty areas either. Avery can barely stay on his feet. He flops around shift after shift. He's not as aggressive a forechecker as Dubinsky, or Feds. He's not as good defensively either. That line will need someone who can haul ass too, since they both Gabs and Richards are somewhat a liability on our back-end.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Giacomin

Avery is that intangible type of player that most teams that win the Cup have. I think he is going to have a special season and be one of those players that will always have a place with the fans.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:53 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Dubinsky
Wolski
Boyle
Fedotenko

all deserve a shot before Avery - perhaps some others as well if they can play both sides.

Avery better worry about getting in the lineup period most nights.
Completely this^, yet I voted the other way! Why.

Would prefer the right big deal for the right primo left wing to put in there, but that isn't immediately in the picture.

Opposed from breaking up the chemistry of Dubi -- AA -- Callly

To lesser extent Rupp and Boyle keep on line with Prust, though could see if Hagelin or somebody was a good enough fit somebody could be moved. Still, see Haegelin or alternate on another line.

Am open to seeing what, if anything, Wolski has learned over the summer. Until he puts out, and proves he is not a bum, I'd rather jettison his cap space cheaply and give a shot to a hungry guy on our farm.

Feds is deserving, even though not as likely, being older to last the year w/first line minutes.

Avery would merit NO consideration WHATSOEVER except for a view that based on him playing iwth Richards in Dallas, that clicked.

While Avery should not be extended for any reason and jetisoned as soon as possible to a more deserving, hustling alternate, we shouldn't be close minded about first seeing if he clicks on the first line, as long as we are stuck with him for the year.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:01 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I'll say feds plays with them for the most part, but it'll change a bit.

Feds and Dubi will make up about 2/3 of the games there.

1/3 for Wolski/Boyle/Avery/Zuccarello just to experiment

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:40 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
This is just terrible. All you're doing is trying to be creative with the lines. Richards isn't going to be centering two third-liners. Our entire second line isn't going to get demoted to the third line. We want Stepan as a full-time center, he shouldn't be playing Wing. He needs the Face-off experience now, so he's competent there tomorrow.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Wolski-Anisimov-Callahan
Fedetenko-Stepan-MZA
Rupp-Boyle-Prust
Avery
As are the other biased Avery haters, YOU'RE A TOWEL! You broke up a chemistry line, and Boyle should NOT be wasted on with two grinders! Avery < MZA?

Except for whatever the hell is up with Anisimov for who knows how long, I don't see Torts needing to break that line up.

It's not about bunching the three best overall attirbutes in EA sports NHL games .(which are often unfair btw)

Not ever claiming my given lines would happen, I think the second one (the one u ignored) might be a little better anyway. I have absolutely no problem seeing Feds with Richards and Gaborik. Any of our grinders, but for some reason I think Prust and Rupp should be the designated Checking line guys.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:51 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Fedotenko-Richards-Gaborik
Dubisnky-Anisimov-Captain
Avery-Boyle/Stepan-Wolski
Rupp-Boyle/Stepan-Prust

likely?

Old
09-16-2011, 06:05 PM
GAGLine

I've never liked Avery, even when he was an effective player for us. The last couple years he's been more off than on. I'll be happy to see him go. If Ryan Callahan is the epitome of Ranger's hockey, Avery is the antithesis.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 06:16 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Fedotenko-Richards-Gaborik
Dubisnky-Anisimov-Captain
Avery-Boyle/Stepan-Wolski
Rupp-Boyle/Stepan-Prust

likely?
I still think Dubi is the best option for 1LW, but if chemistry is a big issue then why not...

Boyle - BR -Gabby
Dubi - Ani - Cally
Wolski - Stepan - Feds
Avery - Rupp - Prust

I don't think Wolski is a good option for line 1...with Gabby and Richards you really need somebody to get down and dirty with some offensive ability. And if Dubi is on line 2 then that leaves Boyle and Avery...I think Boyle is better defensively, a bigger body for the corners, around the net/screens, plus Boyle actually can put up 20+ goals. Another advantage with this setup is that Wolski gets bumped down to line 3 where he and Stepan can give some added offense while Feds can cover defensively.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Vitto79

Funny how some say Avery will be a scratch and some first line lol

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Dubinsky does everything that avery does better and he does more.

Tired of the overvaluing of "the bar line" or Pack line. Dubinsky and Callahan were far and away our best players last year, whether they were together or not. Anisimov's point total benefitted enormously from playing with them a lot. Those two will have good chemistry with any competent center because their game is about relentless forechecking, physicality and hard work. Splitting up Dubi and cally probably helps us more than it hurts because it stretches our lineup and makes matchups harder for the opposing team.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 06:33 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
would love to see Avery get a serious look on the first line, it helps in multiple ways-

1)Avery has decent speed and skill, and will work the boards
2)Gaborik and Richards could really use the physicality, the line doesn't really need any more skill than these two bring, Avery will battle in front of the net
3)This would allow us to leave Dubinsky with Anisimov and Cally
and Boyle with Prust, proven chemistry that has worked
4)Stepan, Wolski, MZA is a pretty skilled 3rd line that wouldn't need to play too many minutes with all the horses on the top 2 and a very good 4th line

As with all discussions of a players line though it all comes down to if he can earn it, if he plays worthy and it clicks, so be it
if he stinks it up and gets sent packin so be it as well, whatevers best for the team

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 06:42 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
you guys are all hopping off avery after one bad season where he was shuffled in and out of lines and never was able to get chemistry with any one line. avery and gaborik have played together and both of them look great on a line together. avery is EXACTLY the type of player that line needs. he's fast and he takes the body. when you have a line with gaborik and richards you're going to need a guy who can do the dirty things to balance out two finesse guys. who is going to forecheck or dig pucks out of the corner? who on this team is better at doing the dirty stuff than avery?

in my opinion, the only other good option for that first line spot is fedotenko. similar player although i don't think he's as good. i'm not giving up on avery after a down year when he's coming up on the last year of his contract. i think he'll change everyone's mind if he's playing top line minutes with top line talent, but if tortorella decides to shuffle him around all year again he'll look awful.
knowing torts, he will never get enough time on the line to build chemistry/see results, but i think it would surely be worth a shot. give sean an opportunity and see if he will run with it. we know he has the speed, he can pot a couple goals on his own, his passing is a little underrated and lets not forget the supreme talent of the other two. if torts lets avery be himself, and avery doesnt go over that line and draws a penalty, the opposition will have too much to worry about, making that line more effective. it'll probably not happen, but its surely worth consideration.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:01 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
I still think Dubi is the best option for 1LW, but if chemistry is a big issue then why not...

Boyle - BR -Gabby
Dubi - Ani - Cally
Wolski - Stepan - Feds
Avery - Rupp - Prust

I don't think Wolski is a good option for line 1...with Gabby and Richards you really need somebody to get down and dirty with some offensive ability. And if Dubi is on line 2 then that leaves Boyle and Avery...I think Boyle is better defensively, a bigger body for the corners, around the net/screens, plus Boyle actually can put up 20+ goals. Another advantage with this setup is that Wolski gets bumped down to line 3 where he and Stepan can give some added offense while Feds can cover defensively.
Sounds like a good option to me. Though it sells Avery a little short, I wouldn't complain.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
knowing torts, he will never get enough time on the line to build chemistry/see results, but i think it would surely be worth a shot. give sean an opportunity and see if he will run with it. we know he has the speed, he can pot a couple goals on his own, his passing is a little underrated and lets not forget the supreme talent of the other two. if torts lets avery be himself, and avery doesnt go over that line and draws a penalty, the opposition will have too much to worry about, making that line more effective. it'll probably not happen, but its surely worth consideration.
As many as it seems he takes (or just given), he's one of the absolute best at drawing penalties. People try to bate him into stuff and they end up caught in the net.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:10 PM
The Mouth

the novelty of sean avery is over.. time to move on

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
If he shows up consistently. It seems to me that Avery parties too much and has too much of an ego with poor work ethic it seems. If he's motivated, which he should be in a contract year I can see him adding the same elements in the game that Alex Burrows has.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:08 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
As many as it seems he takes (or just given), he's one of the absolute best at drawing penalties. People try to bate him into stuff and they end up caught in the net.
Hey now look at my s/n...I'm a huge Avery fan and missed him when he signed with Dallas. He's exciting to watch and when he's on his game he's an asset. But I'm a fan of the Rangers first - and it comes down to who we have and what their skills are. Avery has decent speed, decent board work and fairly good playmaking ability ...those aren't worthless. But it's how it fits on the line that he's on...those really aren't what the first line needs...but they are an asset on other lines.

Imo Dubi goes 30-40 on a line with BR and Gabby, while Avery might get something like 30 pts. As useful as Avery is, Dubi is just so much better.

Old
09-16-2011, 10:22 PM
petejudge

Avery/Feds - BR -Gabby
Dubi - Ani - Cally
Wolski - Stepan - Feds/Avery
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

i still think our lines will look mostly like this. i don't think torts will screw with the chemistry of the pack line. even though boyle is skating better than he ever did before, he doesn't have the speed of a top 6 guy, nor is he a winger. i think avery and feds will split most of the time there but i think wolski will also get a chance. i think mza will spend most of his time scratched or in hartford this year.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
the novelty of sean avery is over.. time to move on
He has always been a novelty to some degree, but at the same time was a productive player. If his shooting percentage rebounds as it should, then there's no reason he can't contribute 10 goals and 35 points.

That's assuming he is given a fair shot to earn TOI, which may not happen. And that's Avery's fault to begin with.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:42 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
Avery/Feds - BR -Gabby
Dubi - Ani - Cally
Wolski - Stepan - Feds/Avery
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

i still think our lines will look mostly like this. i don't think torts will screw with the chemistry of the pack line. even though boyle is skating better than he ever did before, he doesn't have the speed of a top 6 guy, nor is he a winger. i think avery and feds will split most of the time there but i think wolski will also get a chance. i think mza will spend most of his time scratched or in hartford this year.
You might be right on Boyle's speed, though Feds isn't blazing fast either. I also think Boyle could benefit like Dubi did from playing wing...more skating in a direct line, more chances to use his body around the net and in the corners. Plus let's face it, it's not like he's a god with faceoffs or anything. Also since he's played center he knows how to play some D which that first line really needs. Feds is probably my 3rd choice for that line behind Dubi and Boyle. Feds at least has a decent offensive game.