HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Everybody take a DEEP breath!!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 10:57 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Everybody take a DEEP breath!!!

Count to ten. Do what ever to calm down. We were beat by two of the leagues best teams. If we get all up in arms and want to dismantle the coar of the team everytime we lose to a contender, then we will be in for ALOT of trades from Lowe over the next 2-3 years.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Cerebral

Thank you Thome.. I thought i was the only fan not calling for a Brewer + Salo + Comrie packaged deal..

Old
10-23-2003, 11:29 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Count to ten. Do what ever to calm down. We were beat by two of the leagues best teams. If we get all up in arms and want to dismantle the coar of the team everytime we lose to a contender, then we will be in for ALOT of trades from Lowe over the next 2-3 years.
That's fair. This place is getting scary after each loss and I am as much of a culprit as anyone for that.

I just want to say one thing. I don't think the core of this team needs to be dismantled. I think this team needs to find a new starting goaltender, that's it.

I don't think Brewer should be dealt. He's only 24, he's been a pretty damn good defensemen for the Oilers since he joined the team 3 years ago. He's not ready to be the teams #1 defensemen, but hopefully that will come in time. If not, he's still a damn good 3rd/4th defensemen in this league. Young players take time and defensemen take even longer. I still remember how much Oiler's fans used to rip into Janne Niinimaa during his first few years in Edmonton. He turned out alright.

In terms of Comrie, if he wants out of Edmonton, then Lowe should do what he is doing and let Comrie sit until he gets an offer he likes.

If the Comrie holdout is about something else, it's time to get those issues resolved and get him back in Oiler blue.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:02 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
thanks thome good message.

IMO the problem with this team is the same problem that has been since Weight left. Yup influential leadership.

see the other thread (Come off it!) for more information of what im talking about.

Old
10-24-2003, 04:51 AM
gretzky2kurri

You could benefit alot from your own advice Thomer......

Or did you already count?...........lol.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:29 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Sometimes it is so frustrating to love a team that can never get over the hump.

*sigh*

I'm so sick of looking at the past for guidance. No one responds anymore in Vancouver when I coax them with "Well how many Stanley Cups has Vancouver won." They just laugh. The Oilers have done nothing of note in the playoff circuit for a long time.

I will try to remain positive.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:00 AM
momentai

I'm more than fine today.. just had a midterm at 8 in the morning but other than that... just fine.

Having the Avalanche win is alright with me. These are games I want either to win.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:13 AM
camboy

Quote:
We lose to a contender every year! Dallas, Dallas, Dallas..... This year IMO we are not even competing....we will not make the playoffs for a chance to lose to a contender. The object of any game is to win, right? This team is running out of excuses. Brewer gets paid 2 million a year to play D, Salo gets 4 million to stop pucks and Smyth gets 3.5 mil to score goals. That is not conditional to being on a "good team".....IMO that should be the makings of a "good team". They owe it to the fans.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:19 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
We lose to a contender every year! Dallas, Dallas, Dallas..... This year IMO we are not even competing....we will not make the playoffs for a chance to lose to a contender. The object of any game is to win, right? This team is running out of excuses. Brewer gets paid 2 million a year to play D, Salo gets 4 million to stop pucks and Smyth gets 3.5 mil to score goals. That is not conditional to being on a "good team".....IMO that should be the makings of a "good team". They owe it to the fans.
Didn't they just beat a contender last week? Or have we already forgotten about the 6-3 win?

Thome is right to much overreaction to a loss on this board.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:18 AM
trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Didn't they just beat a contender last week? Or have we already forgotten about the 6-3 win?

Thome is right to much overreaction to a loss on this board.
I think it's pretty obvious that for this team to win against anything but a brutal team, every player in the lineup has to be playing hard. The make-up of the team is just not that good. I was looking at the 99-00 season. Here was our defence:

We had Poti, Niinimaa, Hamrlik, Smith, Brown, and Ulanov. Compare that to Brewer, Smith, Staois, Ferguson, Semanov, Bergeron and Cross.

It's night and day as far as I'm concerned. In the 99-00 season, we had one of the best, if not the best, young group of defencemen in the league. What we have now is a load of crap. Ferguson should be #7 or in the minors. Cross is a #6. Brewer has been god-awful. Smith has been inconsistent. Semanov only see's action against the best team in the league???

Our forwards are just not a great group either, or just have not been playing that way for the most part. Torres is not, and may never be, a first line LWer (Makes a good 3rd liner but not top line). Horcoff is so weak on the puck he makes Riesen look like Laraque. Pisani should be the 13th forward or back in the minors. He is just not that good and should never have been offered a 3yr 1-way contract. Isbister is just not interested in playing hard for more than 10% of the game. Chimera has been doing next to nothing out there.

With the talent pool we once had in our recent future: Hamrlik, Niinimaa, Poti, Weight, Guerin we really should have been able to transfer those assets over into something better than what we have now. There's no one but Lowe to hold accountable for this.

And don't even get me started on MacT. One of the worst coaches in the league.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:22 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

lack of emotion, desire, constant brain farts in defensive zone play all add up to RABI SULTANS POST.
WE NEED A LEADER.
i doubt lowe begins to disassemble the youngest team in the league. lets be honest here anybody who thinks this team is going to make the playoffs, take off the beer goggles. right now i see a very young team making many mistakes and not getting good leadership from some of the older players. i hope by next year stoll might take the bull by the horns however at the same time it is going to take time for this team to develop. lowe has had to purge a lot of contracts in the last few years and the return he is getting is well ok not great.
as a longtime fan i hope with a new cba the oilers will be able to keep their better players and not trading them in their prime.
as many have said before me, same old same old.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:27 AM
John's Shorts

I have seen enough positives to be optimistic

Go OIL!

Old
10-24-2003, 08:30 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
lack of emotion, desire, constant brain farts in defensive zone play all add up to RABI SULTANS POST.
WE NEED A LEADER.
i doubt lowe begins to disassemble the youngest team in the league. lets be honest here anybody who thinks this team is going to make the playoffs, take off the beer goggles. right now i see a very young team making many mistakes and not getting good leadership from some of the older players. i hope by next year stoll might take the bull by the horns however at the same time it is going to take time for this team to develop. lowe has had to purge a lot of contracts in the last few years and the return he is getting is well ok not great.
as a longtime fan i hope with a new cba the oilers will be able to keep their better players and not trading them in their prime.
as many have said before me, same old same old.
They struggled lots to last year! If you think they have ZERO chance at the playoffs then you need to take off the pessimistic goggles.

I think with what is going on with our defense, Lowe has got so caught up in needing to score goals that he forgets defense wins in the NHL. We had things set up that with another one or maybe two players we could have been a defensive powerhouse that could score - instead we are a very strong offense and bad defensive. A happy medium needs to be found - with a nice slant towards both strong defense AND offense

Old
10-24-2003, 08:38 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

cmon thome dont misquote me did i say a zero chance of making the playoffs no, my percentage would be 60/40 or somewhere in the middle.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:51 AM
jadeddog

yeah im not really sure lots of people are panicking... i know im not... i still think that this team has a shot at making the playoffs...... but a couple things have to happen first....

1. salo has to start playing at least "decently", doesnt even have to be great... just dont let in SOO many soft goals

2. brewer has to play better, MUCH better

3. dvorak, york and isbister have to play better

now i know i basically just said that certain players need to play better, and thats stating the obvious, lol... but its also true...... now i dont know whether salo will or not.... im actually really sure that brewer will turn it around soon, the same goes for york and dvorak (who i think has been playing REALLY well, but just not getting the results...yet).... isbister is another one though that im not too sure about at all, havent been impressed by him so far

but essentially, i dont really think we need a trade just yet (other than comrie of course).... but the players that are supposed to be our best players need to start actually *playing*

Old
10-24-2003, 09:02 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

yeah isbister is showing what a lot of scouts have said about him. great physical specimen and talented however takes nights off and does not use his size to his advantage enough. i really wonder if he is going to be able to turn his career around.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Big T

I think we all have to keep the big picture in mind. When the new ownership group took the team over, their stated goal was to survive until '04 and the new CBA. That's it!!

I expect a lot out of this team and think they aren't playing to their potential. I don't mean to excuse half-hearted efforts like we've seen from time to time. Nothing is more frustrating as a fan than to see guys standing around and not giving it their all. I know we would all play for free if given the chance.

That said, remember, this team is developing to dominate 2-3 years out.

Our frustrations shouldn't be directed at Lowe or the Oilers management. Look down Hwy #2 to see how the last decade could have played out. The Oilers have stumbled and had a toughtime getting over the hump, but we are fighting a David and Goliath type battle.

We are against teams that can spend more than twice what we do and yet we remain competitive with them. I can't imagine being a St. Louis fan over the last 25 years, having spent all that money and always being a good/mediocre team trying to get over the hump and finally win one.

We as Oilers fans are extremely lucky to have a competitive team on the ice, year after year. And it will only get better come the CBA. It has to or Canadian hockey is gone.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:26 AM
copperandblue

Two things to keep in perspective, irregardless of how bad they played last night.

This years start is still better than last years start and in the end that wasn't such a bad year.

Second, look at the schedule. Before the year started amost everyone looked at the first ten games (9 division/conference games, 5 against real contenders) a said a .500 record would be a GOOD start.
Many people also predicted that we could be 2 and 8 or 3 and 8. Well we are 1 game under .500 and have Calgary, Columbus and Detroit left for the first ten.
I think it is totally realistic to look for wins in two of the next three games and that puts us right at .500.

Unless the team totally tanks the next few games I think we are actually in a decent position. Let's wait and see what unfolds over the next week or so before writing these guys off.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Two things to keep in perspective, irregardless of how bad they played last night.

This years start is still better than last years start and in the end that wasn't such a bad year.

Second, look at the schedule. Before the year started amost everyone looked at the first ten games (9 division/conference games, 5 against real contenders) a said a .500 record would be a GOOD start.
Many people also predicted that we could be 2 and 8 or 3 and 8. Well we are 1 game under .500 and have Calgary, Columbus and Detroit left for the first ten.
I think it is totally realistic to look for wins in two of the next three games and that puts us right at .500.

Unless the team totally tanks the next few games I think we are actually in a decent position. Let's wait and see what unfolds over the next week or so before writing these guys off.
I see what you're saying, and I'd agree that most people here would be OK with a 5-5 record to start the season, especially considering circumstances like Comrie's holdout, Smyth & York coming off injuries, and Dvorak's personal issues.

With me it's just frustration because this could've been a GREAT start. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the Calgary and St. Louis games, and looked very bad in their losses to Vancouver and Colorado. They could easily by 5-2 right now, and coming up to a good chance of winning 2 of their next 3. Now they're left with very little margin for error just to make it a .500 start.

I just hate missed opportunities.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:55 PM
OYLer

WOW! Digger12 your last post sure summed up my feelings exactly! Well said!

Old
10-24-2003, 01:06 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
There is a time to get upset, and after blowing a 3-0 lead against a HIGHLY OVERRATED Blues squad that is no longer one of the NHL's best, and playing like absolute goofs against Colorado, yes, this is the time to be mad. Most of the trades people will call for (including myself) are not new ones.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Cawz

Lets see...

Last year we were 1-4-2-0 after 7 games with 15 GF and 20 GA.

This year we're 3-4-0-0 after 7 with with 20 GF and 22 GA.

Last year we didnt win our 3rd game till game 11.

This year we already played a highly touted Denver team twice.

And people are screaming to package up our starting goalie and top defencemean who plays 20 some odd minutes a game with our holdout?

If this is the faith this team's fans have this early in the season, I'd hate to see what people are calling for when we hit our annual February slump.

Chill out!

I'm just choked that we always seem to be on the short end of the bs calls. I've been waiting for this to even out, but after a couple years and hearing we are the 3rd most penalized team in the league so far this season, I'm starting to lose hope and tend towards a conspiricy.

I think the league is still mad that we underpaid Grez for so long and held salaries down, they are still getting us back.

Now lets show Calgary how we play in our building (I was at the 1-0 game here in Calgary - boringest game ever).

Old
10-24-2003, 05:41 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
Lets see...

Last year we were 1-4-2-0 after 7 games with 15 GF and 20 GA.

This year we're 3-4-0-0 after 7 with with 20 GF and 22 GA.

Last year we didnt win our 3rd game till game 11.

This year we already played a highly touted Denver team twice.

And people are screaming to package up our starting goalie and top defencemean who plays 20 some odd minutes a game with our holdout?

If this is the faith this team's fans have this early in the season, I'd hate to see what people are calling for when we hit our annual February slump.

Chill out!

I'm just choked that we always seem to be on the short end of the bs calls. I've been waiting for this to even out, but after a couple years and hearing we are the 3rd most penalized team in the league so far this season, I'm starting to lose hope and tend towards a conspiricy.

I think the league is still mad that we underpaid Grez for so long and held salaries down, they are still getting us back.

Now lets show Calgary how we play in our building (I was at the 1-0 game here in Calgary - boringest game ever).
Nice addition to the great perspective here, Cawz. Thanx.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Nice addition to the great perspective here, Cawz. Thanx.
Its getting hard to stay positive though. This is going to be a stressful season. Oh ya.

CAW

Closed Thread