HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mats Zuccarello and the 3rd Line RW Spot

Old
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Playing Boyle 7minutes a game centering the 4th line is a huge waste after last year.
If Rupp-Boyle-Prust is our 4th line I guarantee you Torts is going to play them much more than 7 minutes a game.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If Rupp-Boyle-Prust is our 4th line I guarantee you Torts is going to play them much more than 7 minutes a game.
Yep. Prust and Boyle will continue to be a PK tandem and Boyle may get some PP time.

In the end, Rupp may get 7 minutes, but the other should get double digits each night.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
To be fair, I think if the kid had been a Ranger draft pick, and were maybe 2 inches taller he'd be #1 on our prospects ranking list.

Jury is out, for sure. I remain cautiously optimistic about him. He has been far more effective than, Matt Gilroy, Jamtin, Marcel Hossa, Christensen, just about any of our more recent experiments.
I certainly wouldn't say "far more effective" but that's a pretty motley crew to be compared to.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:27 PM
sankaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
This guy better put up or shut up already. I'm tired of so many posters - especially his countrymen - hyping him over and over when he's done virtually nothing outside of shootouts.
As a norwegian, i actually agree. He has to impress to get a spot on the roster, not just do well in shootouts. If he can live up to what he did in SEL, i dont think we need to have this discussion in a couple of months. But on the other hand, if he cant produce, has a bad camp and doesnt do anything productive than in the shootouts, the send him to the whales.

But give him a chance.

Just to warn you americans; norwegians are one of the most patriotic nations in the world. We are just a bunch of naive idiots who think we are better than anyone else!

sankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Quote:
This guy better put up or shut up already. I'm tired of so many posters - especially his countrymen - hyping him over and over when he's done virtually nothing outside of shootouts.
He will win you over to you have alot to look forward to!

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We wont have a lot to look forward to regarding Zuccarello, unless they feel cutting Avery is a realistic option.

Cap situation has been gone over a lot.

Its a strong possibility/probability that he will start in the AHL. And very dependent on his play there, will determine if they chose to cut enough salary to fit him in.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Im hoping they let talent and performance during camp, preseason count more than name, if it comes down to a cap question. Mats certainly has more to offer the rangers than many others and Avery is one of those others.

If he has a bad camp and gets outplayed im all for him going to the whale, i just dont see that happening!

But ill shut up about it for now, time will show

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

A buddy of mine were just in New York visiting Mats...

He said Mats still feels the effect of his broken hand from late last season but that he's going to go "all out" in camp to prove that he belongs...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankaa View Post
Just to warn you americans; norwegians are one of the most patriotic nations in the world. We are just a bunch of naive idiots who think we are better than anyone else!
You're no better than tied with the fins. Any people that love Jarkko Ruutu have to be the biggest ***holes in the world.

Old
09-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
You're no better than tied with the fins. Any people that love Jarkko Ruutu have to be the biggest ***holes in the world.
Yeah, for sure they have to be, or maybe the biggest ***holes are the one making judgement on people they know jack**** about.

I'm no fan of finnish or norwegians, seeing as I'm swedish myself, but there's a lot of ******** going on. You're as con-mza because he's NOT north american as we are pro-mza cause he's nordic.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Fine, but don't hype the guy with a new thread every week telling us he's going to be the star of the team when the only thing he impressed with is shootouts.
ah there you go respond to the hype instead of the player. Great work

Zucc the player did impress in shootouts, and did show some playmaking prowess, putting up some assists and showing good vision overall. If you watched him instead of focusing on the "hype" you might have seen that. Look at him from a development standpoint not the "he's not as good as those people say he is!" standpoint.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:23 PM
NYRangers16

I think I posted this a few months ago, but he was on pace for something like 44 pts in his first NHL season...not only is that good 3rd line production, but we have multiple reasons to believe he will improve. Like all prospects, you can project him to improve as time goes by, but in addition, you also have the possibility that he will improve as he gets comfortable in the NHL, the style/rink, and the country. Besides, go look up how many rookies last year put up 44+ pts...it's not a long list.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
NYRangers16

I also think there's a definite bias among Rangers fans. We really don't embrace non-physical players all that well. Prust, Boyle, Dubi, Cally we all love them. But mention Gabby, MDZ, MZA, even EC, and there's a definite section of the fanbase that doesn't trust them. But we have to remember that you can't have a team full of either type. The best teams have both...the small, skilled players and some physical guys with skill. Look at Detroit with Zetterberg and Franzen or the Devs with Elias and Rolston...those teams have a mix for every Franzen or Elias there is a Holmstrom or Arnott...I think a lot of our fans don't realise that we have enough grit...we now need scoring and skilled players. It is very possible that MZA could be that guy for us and he needs a chance to show it.

And I wanted to add ...even the Legion of Doom line had Renberg on it!

Old
09-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
You're as con-mza because he's NOT north american as we are pro-mza cause he's nordic.
Not a bit. After the last 10 years of America bashing I'm no fan of canadians any more. But as I said above, there's a much greater excitement here regarding Erixon who played his whole life in Sweden because he seems like the real thing and not a big fish in a small pond shoved down our throats by a small partisan contingent.

You think that we wouldn't love Zuccarello if he started scoring 30 or 40 goals a year? The Rangers benched him, the fans didn't.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Not a bit. After the last 10 years of America bashing I'm no fan of canadians any more. But as I said above, there's a much greater excitement here regarding Erixon who played his whole life in Sweden because he seems like the real thing and not a big fish in a small pond shoved down our throats by a small partisan contingent.

You think that we wouldn't love Zuccarello if he started scoring 30 or 40 goals a year? The Rangers benched him, the fans didn't.
Then atleast let him have a chance to play more that half a season before you write him off. He scored at the same rate as one of your american heros, Stepan. Why write someone off before they are given half a chance to "be loved"?
Your previous post pretty much says that you dont accept anyone Norwegian liking MZA. We are just liking him because he is Norwegian. Does that mean that Swedes shouldnt talk about or show love to Erixon or that Canadians should refer from talking about Christian Thomas? Or perhaps US people shouldnt be allowed to be excited about Cal being named captain of the Rangers?
The thing is that people in Sweden that have been following the SEL probably know more about Erixon, people in Norway probably know more about MZA, and people following the college leauge probably know more about Thomas. For some reason you make it into so sort of nation vs nation. It annoys me. As far as i am concerned, we are all Rangers fans, and we care about the team more than single players.
No I in team, right?

Last edited by Hellion: 09-17-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Yep. I like Fulham and Dempsey pretty solely because he is American.

I think Zucc gets some unfair beef, but then again I was amongst the folk who was told I gave Gilroy too much crap last offseason.

Can we just let this year run its course and see how he does? Thats what Ranger management is gonna do before they make a decision on whether or not to bring him back, so...

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I expect Zuccarello to have a good season, regardless of how many NHL games he plays. And I think he'll have a good NHL career, even if it's not here.

He has enough skill to always have a spot in this league.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:44 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I expect Zuccarello to have a good season, regardless of how many NHL games he plays. And I think he'll have a good NHL career, even if it's not here.

He has enough skill to always have a spot in this league.
I just hope we give him a chance because he could be very valuable as a 20-30 2nd-3rd liner eventually.

Old
09-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Pizza

I like his moxy, but I'm not sold on him. There is talent there but I don't know how well it actually translates into the NHL game. We'll see.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 06:33 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Then atleast let him have a chance to play more that half a season before you write him off. He scored at the same rate as one of your american heros, Stephan. Why write someone off before they are given half a chance to "be loved"?
Your previous post pretty much says that you dont accept anyone Norwegian liking MZA. We are just liking him because he is Norwegian. Does that mean that Swedes shouldnt talk about or show love to Erixon or that Canadians should refer from talking about Christian Thomas? Or perhaps US people shouldnt be allowed to be excited about Cal being named captain of the Rangers?
The thing is that people in Sweden that have been following the SEL probably know more about Erixon, people in Norway probably know more about MZA, and people following the college leauge probably know more about Thomas. For some reason you make it into so sort of nation vs nation. It annoys me. As far as i am concerned, we are all Rangers fans, and we care about the team more than single players.
No I in team, right?
The Stepan/Zuccarello comparison is flawed. Stepan is three years younger, and played professional hockey for the first time last year. The coach had enough confidence in him not to bench him during the playoffs. And, while Zuccarello may have had a similar PPG average in 40 less games, Stepan, had 21 goals over the course of a full season. Zuccarello, if he had maintained the same pace over a full season, would have managed 11. Stepan and Zuccarello are not comparisons as players in general, let alone their respective future potential.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The Stepan/Zuccarello comparison is flawed. Stepan is three years younger, and played professional hockey for the first time last year. The coach had enough confidence in him not to bench him during the playoffs. And, while Zuccarello may have had a similar PPG average in 40 less games, Stepan, had 21 goals over the course of a full season. Zuccarello, if he had maintained the same pace over a full season, would have managed 11. Stepan and Zuccarello are not comparisons as players in general, let alone their respective future potential.
Also, MZA is more of a playmaker than a goalscorer. Someone has to make those nifty plays to set up players like Stepan to score.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I like his moxy, but I'm not sold on him. There is talent there but I don't know how well it actually translates into the NHL game. We'll see.
I think we saw last year that it will certainly translate into points. Even if he's just a 20-20 guy that contributes nothing else, there will always be a demand for him. IMO.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:37 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Not a bit. After the last 10 years of America bashing I'm no fan of canadians any more. But as I said above, there's a much greater excitement here regarding Erixon who played his whole life in Sweden because he seems like the real thing and not a big fish in a small pond shoved down our throats by a small partisan contingent.You think that we wouldn't love Zuccarello if he started scoring 30 or 40 goals a year? The Rangers benched him, the fans didn't.
Is it so hard to understand? The Sweeds have 50-60 players in the NHL,and have had 100s. If Erixon makes it,its not that huge for them.
We Norwegians has starved with only 7 players in NHL in the history,only one with a bit of sucsess (Espen Knutsen).
Is it so strange to you that we are exited to have a player in the most famous team in the world?
Of course we are a litle high on him. It`s a shame if he does not be given a proper chance because of the cap situation.
If it is because he aint good enough,then let him develop in the Whale or trade him to team with less depth.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:58 AM
anofsti

vCash: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Is it so hard to understand? The Sweeds have 50-60 players in the NHL,and have had 100s. If Erixon makes it,its not that huge for them.
We Norwegians has starved with only 7 players in NHL in the history,only one with a bit of sucsess (Espen Knutsen).
Is it so strange to you that we are exited to have a player in the most famous team in the world?
Of course we are a litle high on him. It`s a shame if he does not be given a proper chance because of the cap situation.
If it is because he aint good enough,then let him develop in the Whale or trade him to team with less depth.
This is correct; but even if I do belive in him, and google his name every day for news, that doesn't mean I should post long rants about his almighty greatness (though it is almighty and great)... Post replies won't give us either news or views on Zuccarello; only new content post will do that.

E.g. Posting "Has Zuccarellos skaeting been better in cmp??+?" won't give you that many replies worth while. But reading the thread looking for tweets from beat writers, or artickles from the blueseatsblog or others, will give you much more info about our national golden boy).

We can keep most of our exciment to norwegian hockeyforums (hockeymagasinet.no has a pretty good one) where we can sperg away about twitterpics of him, and videos of him doing PR-stuff for the rangers; without spaming the NA-community, a thing that will only make people less inclined to like him when/if he does start to put up huge numbers.

anofsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:09 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by anofsti View Post
This is correct; but even if I do belive in him, and google his name every day for news, that doesn't mean I should post long rants about his almighty greatness (though it is almighty and great)... Post replies won't give us either news or views on Zuccarello; only new content post will do that.

E.g. Posting "Has Zuccarellos skaeting been better in cmp??+?" won't give you that many replies worth while. But reading the thread looking for tweets from beat writers, or artickles from the blueseatsblog or others, will give you much more info about our national golden boy).

We can keep most of our exciment to norwegian hockeyforums (hockeymagasinet.no has a pretty good one) where we can sperg away about twitterpics of him, and videos of him doing PR-stuff for the rangers; without spaming the NA-community, a thing that will only make people less inclined to like him when/if he does start to put up huge numbers.
Agreed with you to a 100%

Have to post this intervju
http://www.nrk.no/video/zucca_popula...2CB35A4642DB7/
Look at the clip,its several american fans speaking there.
Hope I`m not guilty in hyping him to much. When the heck is "aftenposten debatt" be back and running again?

Last edited by fredrikstad: 09-17-2011 at 11:53 AM.
fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote