HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth for captain.

Old
09-17-2011, 03:17 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I mostly think the C is completely pointless (team meetings and talking to the ref, that's all you get to do that anyone else can't), but striping someone of the C is not cool. Wasn't cool when Dallas did it to Modano, wouldn't be cool if they did it to Horcoff.

I suspect, because of the way Horcoff's deal is structured, they will buy him out in June of 2013. After that, it's Taylor Hall's team, not Ryan Smyth's.

Hell, it's Hall's team right now.
It was perfectly acceptable when they took the C off Modano. He never really earned it, he doesn't have those leadership skills, he just got it by default for being the best player after Hatcher left. It was Morrow's team then, and it still is now so I don't really know how you can say that.

Another example of an actual good leader having to give up the C to make way for youth is in Carolina when they took the C away from Rod Brind'Amour and gave it to Eric Staal. At that point, everybody knew it was Staal's team and it wasn't a slight at Brind'Amour and he didn't feel slighted, he's still working in the Canes' front office. I expect the same sort of thing to happen with Horcoff and whoever takes the C over (probably Hall) in due time, probably 3 or 4 years from now.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:19 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
who wears the "C" if Horcoff gets injured?

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:22 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
It was perfectly acceptable when they took the C off Modano. He never really earned it, he doesn't have those leadership skills, he just got it by default for being the best player after Hatcher left. It was Morrow's team then, and it still is now so I don't really know how you can say that.
Dallas can exist for another 100 years, and the best player in that franchises history will always be Mike Modano.

And now he's going to retire a Red Wing and all that history is tainted, all because they pulled a dick move and took a letter that means almost nothing off of him instead of waiting the three years for him to retire.

Quote:
Another example of an actual good leader having to give up the C to make way for youth is in Carolina when they took the C away from Rod Brind'Amour and gave it to Eric Staal. At that point, everybody knew it was Staal's team and it wasn't a slight at Brind'Amour and he didn't feel slighted, he's still working in the Canes' front office. I expect the same sort of thing to happen with Horcoff and whoever takes the C over (probably Hall) in due time, probably 3 or 4 years from now.
Brind'Amour gave up the captaincy himself (wasn't stripped of it in the media) and retired two months later, to a job he knew he was in-line for.

Doesn't equate to a 32 year old who was probably more popular in the room than Smyth when Smyth left anyway getting stripped of a letter for arbitrary reasons (the fanbase doesn't like his contract, basically).

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:22 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
who wears the "C" if Horcoff gets injured?
No one, just like last year

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:27 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Brind'Amour gave up the captaincy himself (wasn't stripped of it in the media) and retired two months later, to a job he knew he was in-line for.

Doesn't equate to a 32 year old who was probably more popular in the room than Smyth when Smyth left anyway getting stripped of a letter for arbitrary reasons (the fanbase doesn't like his contract, basically).
You really are so naiive to think that Brind'Amour wasn't prodded by management to "give up" the captaincy. I'm not even saying Smyth should be captain, I don't really want him to be and that would be an unnecessary move to make. I'm just saying when the time comes in maybe 4 years and Hall is ready to take this team over and Horcoff is still on the team, there shouldn't be any problem with the team (politely and quietly) asking Horcoff to hand over the C. It's not really disrespectful to what he's done, it would just be a more accurate reflection of the state and direction of the team at the time. That's all I'm saying.

And with the Dallas thing, Modano didn't want to fully embrace the increased role that comes with being a captain and management realized it and went back and rectified their mistake. It seems like they made the right decision because Morrow is still the heart and soul of their team. Having the C or not has nothing to do with if he's the best player in Stars franchise history, which he obviously is.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
If Hemsky gets an A over Smyth I will be very, very sad.
I'm not looking to bash Smyth here but lets not forget that about 6 months before he was traded, Hemsky committed 6 years after coming off a 77 point season as a 22 year old. In the summer of 2006 the team was sinking and he handcuffed himself to the ship. He may not be captain material but he is a clutch and until someone(Hall) proves other wise, he's our best player. He deserves an A.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:42 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

[QUOTE=oilsp1ll;36782107]You really are so naiive to think that Brind'Amour wasn't prodded by management to "give up" the captaincy. [/quote[

Everyone knew he was retiring when the Hurricanes season ended.

I don't think they "prodded" him to get the captaincy on Staal a few months earlier than it would have been anyway. I think he handed it off. Which isn't what happened with Modano anyway.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I would like to see Horcoff pass on the "C" to Ryan Smyth, I believe he thrives playing for Edmonton and we all know how passionate he is. He already is a valuable mentor for any young gun with his hard work and dedication.

What are your thoughts?

Ah......no.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Eirhead*

Wearing the C doesn't mean you gain a 15% increase in goal scoring or something, so who cares?

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:50 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Not unless Smyth has some sort of rediculous season to make horcoff make some sort of statement on how Smyth earned his captaincy back...

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:27 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Come in peace. I'm not trolling, but I think I might have a few points to add from an outsider looking in:

1)I think the Vancouver situation with Luongo and Sedin is more applicable than Carolina or Dallas. Loungo essentially had it "stripped" away and had a better season, as did Sedin. The stripping of the Canucks captaincy kinda displayed that captaincy wasn't an arbitrary role that even a goalie could fill.

2)I think a lot of Oilers fans give Smyth a hard time. I'm not a stereotypical man or anything, but the dude freeking cried like a girl when he left. And contracts are a two-way street, but it's a fans cognitive dissonance to support its organization over a player

3)Horcoff is a brown-noser, and hence appears to be a good captain, but is.... I'm trying not to troll, but he's a player that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I personally was in shock when he was given captaincy because I lived in Edmonton at the time, and all the fans that hated him all of sudden embraced him because of the rebuild hype. I don't think Horcoff shouldv'e been captain, I don't think he should continue to be captain, and therefore I would just strip it away. I'd be happier for your team even if they grabbed a name out of hat for the next captain.

4)The time is now. Lowe, Tambellini, and all the players want out of the basement and want to contend. That means the era of losing is over, and nothing would emphasize that more than to give the captaincy to Hall, emulating successful franchises like Chicago and Pittsburgh. It screams "30th place" to guys like Gagner, Hemsky, Gilbert, and Smid to have Horcoff as captain because those guys have been an Oiler before the rebuild. It's like a reminder of failure.

Before you guys rebuttle me about these things, please note that I'm not a guru on Oilers history or stats. Good Luck in the new season Oilers fans!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:22 AM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Come in peace. I'm not trolling, but I think I might have a few points to add from an outsider looking in:

Before you guys rebuttle me about these things, please note that I'm not a guru on Oilers history or stats. Good Luck in the new season Oilers fans!
Thanks for the good post Mark. I agree almost 100% with this. However you can't strip a guy of C just like that.. I can't think of how they could do it without killing the guys heart.

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote