HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps Rooks vs Flyers Rooks. 5pm. 9.15.2011

Old
09-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 500
Orlov rings the crossbar. Heat. Lots of it. Heavy shot.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:27 PM
EroCaps

Orlov dead on crossbar.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Orlov robbed. Yeesh.

Old
09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

If their goalie doesn't play well, this game is 4 or 5 to 3.

Old
09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
EroCaps

Orlov another bomb.

3-2 Flyers/.

A
Orlov
Galiev

B
Eakin
Sjogren
Flemming

Old
09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Cush
-inator

Orlov was easily the best Cap (and maybe overall). Sjogren......not so much

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
EroCaps

Orlov impressed me more than Kuz during the last WJC. Looks like Sergei Zubov.

Old
09-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Orlov was easily the best Cap (and maybe overall). Sjogren......not so much
Yeah, outside of maybe face-offs and one pass Sjogren didn't show much. His turnover was pretty bad. He'll need to show a lot more to warrant a roster spot.

Coming up I'm looking forward to what Hanson can offer as a depth center option.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
sk84fun_dc

Curious if they keep Galiev around for a little bit longer for the experience or send him back since the Q season has already started. Other question is do they keep any of the FAs for the start of the main camp.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:14 PM
NeilYoung

I'll be really pissed off is Flemming doesn't get a spot in Hershey same with Mitchell

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Dirtbag59

Should I be reading anything into the fact that Eakin is on the first line while Sjogren is on the second?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Should I be reading anything into the fact that Eakin is on the first line while Sjogren is on the second?
French said the other day that he looks forward to having Eakin at Hershey, or something to that extent. So there are mixed signals.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
All I'd read into it is that Eakin is the better player offensively.

Old
09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
txpd

Quote:
other than this is the first game of any kind that sjogren has played in north america....no.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think it has more to do with Eakin having experience marking Schenn.

Old
09-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Finally home from my adventure tonight. Some unfiltered reactions from being at the game earlier (haven't read this thread yet to see other people's).

Orlov is exactly as billed, and was, imo, the best skater on either team. Really thrived with the puck on his stick. Absolutely undressed most of the Flyers' rookies. Drew two penalties in the first period alone. Was really aggressive in the offensive zone, often carrying the puck down deep. Used his stick handling to his advantage, but he won't be able to pull all those moves off against bigger and better opponents. Didn't always seem to be hustling in the defensive zone, but never really noticed him out of position and he made the plays he had to. Was excellent at using his body to take his man out of the play and/or bump them off the puck.

Sjogren used his size effectively, and dominated along the boards. Don't recall him losing a single board battle, or really any physical confrontation. Not the best offensively, but he did create some chances (especially a couple feeds through the middle to Stefishen and Mitchell that they weren't able to get their sticks on well enough to get a shot). By the end of the game, he was the one taking the most important face-offs (not Eakin).

Galiev was our best forward offensively. His stick handling and puck control were pretty fantastic, and he was essentially responsible for the first goal mostly by himself. Created a few other good chances in the game, including a pretty nice take-away that almost led to a goal.

Really liked Paquette's energy and work ethic. Was highly effective on the boards and in physical battles. Trounced his opponent in the fight, but drew a cross-checking penalty before that. In general, he reminded me of Matt Hendricks in many ways.

Outside of Orlov, the defense was lackluster at best. Flemming's speed was good, but otherwise I was not impressed with him. Was routinely beaten in physical confrontations and seemed very leery of playing the puck. Had a hard time of settling down the puck, as well. Needs to bulk up. Carrier was chippy, but not incredibly effective in any aspect. The rest were simply limited by their talent levels, though Stevenson and Tabisz did show some good work ethic.

Eakin didn't impress me as much as I would have hoped. Didn't really see that excellent speed that was advertised used all that much. Did a fairly good job neutralizing Schenn and Courturier defensively, but didn't do a whole lot in the offensive zone that wasn't somehow enabled by Galiev. The Galiev-Eakin-Ross/etc line was our best offensive line, but Galiev was the one responsible for setting up most of the offense. Did Ross get injured? Didn't see him at all in the 3rd.

Brandon Anderson gave me a heart attack any time he tried to play the puck.

On the Flyers side, Courturier really didn't impress me much. Hardly noticed him on either end of the ice. Schenn was solid defensively (especially on the PK), but a little bit lackluster offensively. He did own both Eakin and Sjogren on faceoffs. Tyler Brown and Harry Zolnierczyk impressed me. Brown was all over the place in the offensive zone and had a terrific move to score. Zolnierczyk was easily the fastest player on either team and was right in the thick of the action as well. Hauser looked very impressive in net as well. Several great saves.

Last edited by Mystlyfe: 09-16-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
33 I believe. Is it me but does Galiev use a really long stick or what.
You're a Washington Capitals fan with a long stick.....

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Atlas

Thanks for the report, Myst.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Some unfiltered reactions from being at the game earlier (haven't read this thread yet to see other people's).
Yeah, thanks, much appreciated.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Thinking back, Orlov's endurance level was very promising. His work with Nemish seems to be paying off already as I didn't notice much of any fatigue in his game toward the end of shifts (even his more active ones). That's a big first step toward becoming NHL-ready and bears watching against the big boys in PS play.

Old
09-17-2011, 05:37 PM
hoopla

Watching Orlov play is fun. Reminds me of Mike Green's first two season. You could just see the progress. I don't know how many of you saw the Caps' Off Season Program by Nemish, but it doesn't really focus on the upper body work. It's all about lower body in his program. We all saw a handfull of Caps/Hershey/Rays players go down with upper body injuries last season - a number of shoulder injuries comes to my mind. And as much as you need superb skating in the league, you shouldn't neglect your upper body strength. Go Caps!

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 05:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yeah, outside of maybe face-offs and one pass Sjogren didn't show much. His turnover was pretty bad. He'll need to show a lot more to warrant a roster spot.
Coming up I'm looking forward to what Hanson can offer as a depth center option.
Hopefully TXPD see this. And this was a rookie game.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote