HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Pegula sends message and Myers receives it

Old
09-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
"What Terry and his team have done ever since he stepped in, it's pretty motivating as a player to see that and want to come to the rink and play for somebody like that," Myers said. "With my teammates, it's in our discussions daily, how excited we are with what's happening in Buffalo. It's amazing, the motivation you can see from all the guys."

That's how it should work. Owners are willing to shell out big money for players in hopes of winning a championship, but they expect a championship effort. Take away his $3 billion fortune, and Pegula is like any other down-to-earth diehard who wants his team to succeed.

He's a wealthy man who carries himself as if he didn't have a dime in his pocket, a great fit in outposts like Buffalo. He's doing deeds that don't cost a penny but make him a rich man. He has surrounded himself with sharp, creative minds such as team president Ted Black. They're covering the details, right down to televisions in the bathrooms and cup holders on urinals.

The Sabres for years had problems with soft ice, so he paid for a dehumidifying system that they believe will give them the best surface in the NHL.

He thought the Sabres' dressing room was outdated, so he committed $6 million toward a new one. Then it was $8 million. Some say it's nearing $10 million. It will have everything you can imagine, including a fireplace. If this keeps up, it might have a separate fire department.
Quote:
Ten months have passed since Pegula's name surfaced as a potential owner, but I still haven't heard one cross word about the guy. You would think somebody would have pointed out a flaw -- any flaw by now. So far, nothing. If anything, more people gush about him as they come to know him.

Pegula has done so much in so little time, built such strong chemistry within the organization and beyond, that people don't want to disappoint him. He acknowledged Thursday with his aw-shucks personality that he really didn't know how much he has spent on the Sabres. It sounded as if he didn't have a clue and really didn't care, so long as they're marching with him
Quote:
"We're investing our hearts," Pegula said. "We want to build a team -- not only the team but the whole organization -- [that shows] the Sabres are a first-class organization and will continue to be. I told everybody in the organization ... that we're going to walk around here like winners. That's our goal. You start acting like it, you start believing it and then it starts happening."
Quote:
Myers' contract was just the most recent evidence confirming Pegula bought this team for all of the right reasons. The Sabres have committed more than $100 million in contracts this summer alone. You don't need an accounting degree to see that Pegula will be writing a hefty check this season to cover the Sabres' losses.

How heavy? I'm not sure. Is it $20 million? Thirty? Forty? Does it matter?

Pegula continues to be the communal gift that keeps on giving. He made improvements throughout First Niagara Center. He bought the Rochester Americans to be the team's AHL affiliate. The scouting staff was skimping, so he showered the hockey department with money.

He's been handing out raises across the organization. Now, less than seven full months after taking over as owner, his staff and collection of players is ready to run through a wall for him. For the next eight seasons, you can expect Myers to be leading the way.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle558289.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:34 PM
fing0rz

I could seriously just read these things over and over and over and over again and still get a big ass grin on my face

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:09 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Maybe it's the Golisano regime still hampering my thought process, but I feel like at this point it's all too good to be true...Only time will prove me wrong, and I pray my slight hunch is 100% wrong.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:13 PM
MGIII
Legendary

P: Hey Tyler, do you want to be a multi-millionaire while being the hero of an entire city of people who will adore you for as long as you're a Sabre, perhaps forever?

T: lol, k

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Kc232
Hi

I have the biggest ******* man crush on this guy. He does only what we could have dreamed any owner could do. It went from "Who'd want to play for the Buffalo Sabres?" to Who WOULDN'T want to play for the Buffalo Sabres!"

Kc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Dreakon

Pegula is easily the best thing that could've ever happened to the Sabres, by far.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
Maybe it's the Golisano regime still hampering my thought process, but I feel like at this point it's all too good to be true...Only time will prove me wrong, and I pray my slight hunch is 100% wrong.
What hunch? What more do you want from Pegula? He's giving all of his underlings - front office, coaches and players - the best of everything. Now it's up to them to pass or fail.

Pegula has done more than enough to show himself to be pure gold as an owner, and someone who's in it for the right reasons.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
ohheyimmark

Where is that asshat that said Tpegs wouldn't spend money?

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Very cool, Mr. Pegula rocks!

I bet even the fans will cheer even LOUDER now. I think the enthusiasm is spreading like wild fire through the hearts of Sabreland. The may not win It, but they sure as hell INTEND on winning it. And that's enough to get me extremely fired up for this season....so amped right now...gonna lift.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:42 AM
dugman

Golisano talked about running for governor. If Pegula mentions it, I'd have hand-lettered signs on my lawn in the next 45 minutes.

The whole Pegula experience has been so completely unlike Buffalo that I am still expecting the wheels to come off at any minute (I'm looking at you, former owner now known as current inmate 46334), but wow, is this a great ride. Drop the puck, already!!!

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
The emotions that Golisano/Quinn routinely evoked, compared to the ones Pegula/Black are evoking now, definitely are at opposite ends of the spectrum. It's amazing how much the disgust, frustration, resentment and utter apathy that decisions by the previous regime created has transformed into unlimited excitement, pride, enthusiasm and genuine hope under the new ownership.

In a sense, it really feels like a rags-to-riches scenario in many ways for Sabre fans - and, given how even some national media outlets over the years have expressed sympathy for the long-suffering but every-loyal sports fans in Buffalo, has a degree of poetic justice that this kind of extreme turnaround is finally happening for us.

Once this non-stop ride of giddiness results in a championship, one can't help but think someone in Hollywood will be motivated to tell the story.

Old
09-17-2011, 10:20 AM
threeVo

If the team gets off to a quick start I really see the losses being less than estimated. the sabres store, the sellout of every game, playoff revenue, man this thing could become a cash cow of revenue that could diminish the losses from the large bonuses....

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
If the team gets off to a quick start I really see the losses being less than estimated. the sabres store, the sellout of every game, playoff revenue, man this thing could become a cash cow of revenue that could diminish the losses from the large bonuses....
Probably not...

But still exciting to hear whats going down in Buf

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
The rebuilding of the Sabres roster hasn’t been lost on Miller, either.

“Terry and Kim, they get things done,” he said, referring to Pegula’s wife, Kim. “Everything they set out to do, they’ve done so far.”
Quote:
“We want to win championships,” said Miller, whose honeymoon is suddenly over after he married actress/model Noureen DeWulf two weeks ago.
Quote:
They were an eye-popping series of moves prompted by Pegula, who purchased the team in February. And they’re ones that have changed the perception of what had previously been regarded as a cost-conscious franchise that had difficulty acquiring and retaining talent.

“Just the whole outlook has changed,” said Ehrhoff, who signed a 10-year, $40 million contract. “My goal was to be on a team that’s really committed. And ownership has shown that right from the start. This is probably just the beginning.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...s-trainingcamp

Old
09-17-2011, 10:24 AM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
Where is that asshat that said Tpegs wouldn't spend money?
Yeah where is SeanLinden?

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
They're calling them losses, I call them investments.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:17 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac99 View Post
Exactly. Pegula is a businessman. He may be a fan's dream owner first and foremost, but you don't stumble your way into a net worth of several billion accidentally very often. All of the money that he has spent is an investment into the future of this club, this arena, and this town as a premier destination for NHL players, personnel, and fans.

Look at it this way. It's hard to evaluate what Pegula's ownership has done so far (in regards to how good the team will be), but does anyone think Myers signs the deal he has if Pegula isn't the owner? We're getting a #1 defensemen right now with huge upside as he heads into his prime long term at a great rate. Myers has to know that he's losing out on some money by staying with the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years and the hit of all of the stadium renovations passes, the Sabres and Amerks are profitable, if not very profitable. When someone with the passion and resources of Pegula pours their heart and soul into a team with the type of fan support that Buffalo has, it's going to show up in the ledgers.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Exactly. Pegula is a businessman. He may be a fan's dream owner first and foremost, but you don't stumble your way into a net worth of several billion accidentally very often. All of the money that he has spent is an investment into the future of this club, this arena, and this town as a premier destination for NHL players, personnel, and fans.

Look at it this way. It's hard to evaluate what Pegula's ownership has done so far (in regards to how good the team will be), but does anyone think Myers signs the deal he has if Pegula isn't the owner? We're getting a #1 defensemen right now with huge upside as he heads into his prime long term at a great rate. Myers has to know that he's losing out on some money by staying with the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years and the hit of all of the stadium renovations passes, the Sabres and Amerks are profitable, if not very profitable. When someone with the passion and resources of Pegula pours their heart and soul into a team with the type of fan support that Buffalo has, it's going to show up in the ledgers.
I have this weird urge to throw my money at the Sabres organization. Obviously is hypnotism is working heh.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:36 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Terry is more interested in gaining championships and winners than losing money ... Way more interested. He's on record saying if he wanted to make more money he'd go drill for oil n gas. The Buffalo Sabres reason for existence is to win the Stanley Cup, as much as possible. Making money is NOT the priority anymore. It would be nice to make money, but not a necessity. Such a refreshing frame of mind.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:39 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Terry is more interested in gaining championships and winners than losing money ... Way more interested. He's on record saying if he wanted to make more money he'd go drill for oil n gas. The Buffalo Sabres reason for existence is to win the Stanley Cup, as much as possible. Making money is NOT the priority anymore. It would be nice to make money, but not a necessity. Such a refreshing frame of mind.
Oh, I'm not doubting his intentions. I'm entirely convinced he's in it to win as much as is humanly possible. I just think it's pretty likely that by doing so, it will make the team even more profitable in the long run. Which is as it should be, in my opinion.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac99 View Post
Technically speaking, they'd still be considered (annual) losses while also investments; certainly not mutually exclusive.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 05:51 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

So, I've been thinking this for a while, and while I know it's way to early to say this, I'm going to anyways.

We haven't won anything yet, but with the owner we have, the hockey minds he's surrounding himself with (Black, Ruff, Regier, etc) and the young talent on this team, we could have the makings of a dynasty if the players can prove it on the ice.

Yea, Terry might lose some money at the start, but winning=money. I'm sure, if he runs the organization the right way, he won't be losing money for long, so long as the product on the matches the one during the offseason.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Loungie

Pegula

Everyone else...

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote