HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles sign Tavares to 6-year extension at $5.5M per year

Old
09-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
to be fair, the yashin/peca teams were actually really good that first year. right amount of grit and flair....or grit and frustrating flashes of brilliance. its when peca went down because of darcy ****ing tucker, he wasnt the same player. they then chose the wrong player to build around.
They were very good that first year. And I suppose part of the problem was they never really added much to that team after that first year. But I do think that a lot of their success that first year was a bit of other teams being caught off guard at just how good they were now. In fact I think that surprise factor may play into the Isles favor this year.

I remember after the Toronto series everyone in Islander land was saying they needed to get tougher & grittier. So their lone move to improve was Jason Wiemer. A decent 4th line player, but a 4th line player never the less. Also it didn't exactly help matters that after Trent Hunters really promising rookie season where he score 25 goals, he never improved on that. So that hurt the club in the Satan/Fedotenko etc days. They hoped Hunter would be a legit 2nd line winger, when he was really just a 3rd line player. And of course Peca wasn't the same as you pointed out.

But still, the Satans & Fedotenko types were the type of talent even those decent NYI teams were able to bring in. Solid players for sure, but not Grade A type stuff.

The club needs a new arena & they need to win a round or 2. Then UFAs will take them seriously. So in the meantime I really don't mind that they went with a long rebuild, because I'd rather have that then a team where Fedotenko is getting 1st/2nd line minutes.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Nolanitis

Everyone is forgetting the one major change in the team year 1 and 2,3: Chris Osgood. In fact if his back wasn't hurt against Toronto, who knows....

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
Everyone is forgetting the one major change in the team year 1 and 2,3: Chris Osgood. In fact if his back wasn't hurt against Toronto, who knows....
A lot of what ifs in that series. What if Izzy didn't get hurt? What if Peca didn't get hurt? What if KJ didn't get hurt? What if the ref realized that a guy lying on the ice unconscious constitutes a head injury? What if ozzy didn't get hurt?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
A lot of what ifs in that series. What if Izzy didn't get hurt? What if Peca didn't get hurt? What if KJ didn't get hurt? What if the ref realized that a guy lying on the ice unconscious constitutes a head injury? What if ozzy didn't get hurt?
I am over the ifs, but am simply stating the Isles got rid of the one force that was certain. The goaltending was never the same after that. DiPi was good but always doing something stupid to get hurt.

Would have loved if they kept Ozzie another year or two and added a player more. But Milbury spent his money already

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:36 PM
NeilYoung

I swear you could pay a guy a dollar over league minimum and HF would say it's to much.

Great deal, smart to lock him up before this year

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Cujo wasn't exactly the picture of health that series either. I'd call that one a wash.

Quote:
I am over the ifs, but am simply stating the Isles got rid of the one force that was certain. The goaltending was never the same after that. DiPi was good but always doing something stupid to get hurt.

Would have loved if they kept Ozzie another year or two and added a player more. But Milbury spent his money already
Osgood was terribly inconsistent for us. When he was on top of his game, he was as good as just about anyone. And it showed in the results. His great play was a major reason for the hot start in 2001, but he slumped about mid season which was also a major reason for why we came close to falling out of the race, before he turned it on again and we were able to come within a point of taking the division. In spite of the slump, overall, it was a very very strong season. However, Osgood slumped hard in 2002-03, though. Even before he was injured, he was spending more time on cold streaks than on hot streaks, and overall he had a poor season. When he was traded to the Blues, it was largely that he was no longer even outplaying Garth Snow on the season as a whole, even after factoring his hot streaks against his cold streak. To be fair, Snow was also enjoying probably the best season of his career, but overall Osgood's play was disappointing to say the least, especially given his $4m/year salary. Unless one was able to predict when Osgood was going to get on a hot streak, it's impossible to say whether or not the Islanders would've been better off by any substantial margin had they held onto him.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote