HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), BCHL, CJAHL, and its leagues.

American seeking a quick primer to Canadian junior hockey

Old
09-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Morgan Wick
Rookie User

vCash: 500
American seeking a quick primer to Canadian junior hockey

I am an American who has in recent years seen college football hit with a rash of scandals, as well as an ongoing debate over how much players should be compensated for the value they provide for their universities.

I have been led to believe that junior hockey and the Memorial Cup is a very, very, very big deal in Canada, and as such, I would like a quick primer on its general workings and the differences with player development in American sports.

Specifically, I would like the answers to the following two questions:
1) Are players paid on any level in Canadian junior hockey?
2) More to the point, does Canadian junior hockey see anywhere near the level of corruption and scandal as American college football?

Morgan Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:44 AM
StrBender

If you are playing Major Jr in Canada now or in the past. You are labeled "Professional" by the NCAA. So that kind of clears that up. As for the players getting $$$$. It's not an issue. Some players already have endorsement deals! I don't think you can compare the two.

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:08 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
I am an American who has in recent years seen college football hit with a rash of scandals, as well as an ongoing debate over how much players should be compensated for the value they provide for their universities.

I have been led to believe that junior hockey and the Memorial Cup is a very, very, very big deal in Canada, and as such, I would like a quick primer on its general workings and the differences with player development in American sports.

Specifically, I would like the answers to the following two questions:
1) Are players paid on any level in Canadian junior hockey?
2) More to the point, does Canadian junior hockey see anywhere near the level of corruption and scandal as American college football?
Junior hockey and the Memorial Cup are very big deals in a lot of places, but it has nowhere near the same focus as US college football, nor does it make the kind of money college ball makes for schools.

Players are paid a small stipend by their CHL teams. In the OHL, it's $50 per week for rookies up to $350 per week for overage players, plus their room and board (they're billeted with host families) and education.

Having said that, there are always rumours about players being paid under the table to report to the junior team that has drafted them. Nothing has ever been proven, but the rumours persist. Is there some truth to it? Probably. But you'd think if it was a rampant issue, some journalist somewhere would have uncovered something.

There have been numerous discussions about which system better prepares the athlete and/or the human being. The NCAA plays far less games, travels less, and players are student-athletes. The CHL provides more of a pro environment, and while most players attend high school, and a lot of teams require players to attend college/university, hockey is the primary focus. Which stream is better for a player varies from player to player, from college to college and CHL team to CHL team.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:36 PM
drive45

good topic

Like the OP, I have been thinking about these kinds of questions in the wake of the ongoing scandals in NCAA ftbll and bsktbll

I think it is important to note that in hockey, there is a real choice available to the young athletes: they can go the Major Junior route or the NCAA route. The former is a clearer path to the NHL, but with the college education, the latter gives you more of a 'backup plan'. In football or basketball, NCAA is just about the only realistic option of someone seriously aspiring to the NFL or NBA.

I have a question that is more specifically related to the recent NCAA problems. Would there be an issue if a Major Jr hockey player sold some memorabilia? Sid Crosby, for example, was alredy famous by the time he was 15. If he wanted to, could he have sold some signed jerseys from Oceanic or maybe even Shattuck St Mary's? If his world junior sweater was perceived to be valuable enough to steal, I would imagine that signed stuff would be worth hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

Question for StrBender (or anyone who knows): could you cite some specific numbers concerning endorsment deals signed by Major Junior players?

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote