HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jagr Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
What really bugs me is that nobody seems to have an issue with Talbot jumping ship. Only Jagr. And Jagr didn't even jump ship, he was a Ranger after all last time we saw him here. So Rangers fans should be more up in arms that he went from NYR to Phi.

Talbot won a Cup with this team. Jagr didn't play with ANY of the guys who won a Cup in '09. Talbot is the one who turned his back on friends like Fleury et al. And yet Jags gets all the dirt kicked his way.

I know, Max was ungodly popular. I get that. And he scored two HUGE goals in '09. Understood. But it's not like Jags was a passenger in '91 or '92. Rewind back to THEE goal against Chicago, the one where "there are only four people in the arena that he didn't deke, and three of them are ushers."

I understand that Jagr is a polarizing figure. But he didn't leave Pittsburgh to join the Flyers. Talbot did.
In my opinion, the two situations just aren't comparable. Talbot is a guy that we couldn't really afford for his role. He is also a guy whose stock was still high from the Cup heroics and who had one chance to capitalize on that situation and make a solid career for himself. I wish it wasn't with Philly but I don't blame him because I can understand where he comes from. Max also never lied and said his heart was in Pittsburgh (even though we knew it was) or that he would play for league minimum. The fact is even if his heart was in Pittsburgh, we just couldn't match that ridiculous offer from Philly.

In these situations (for right or for wrong), I usually try to put myself in the shoes of the athlete. What would I do in this situation? As hard as it is to admit, I'd do the same thing Max did. Take the money and term because it's your one real shot.

The Jagr situation was entirely different. Here was a guy who was the face of the Penguins franchise for quite some time. He left on bad terms and continually fed the media over the last few years with quotes about wanting to come back to Pittsburgh and play for his idol Mario Lemieux. On top of that, we had a need for a scoring winger so the opportunity was there. He also said it wasn't about the money and wanted a good situation. The guy has made millions upon millions of dollars. He should be really rich and if he isn't, then it's his own fault. He then never gets back to the Penguins on his offer, his agent lies about his whereabouts and then says he's interested in other offers. He then chooses to sign for what was, from all accounts the largest offer, to our biggest rival.

Most fans would have had no problem with him going to Philly if from the outset he said "I want to play in the NHL and will go to the team that offers me the best money and/or best chance to win. I'm interested in Pittsburgh, Detroit, Montreal, Philly, etc". But he didn't. Instead, he used the media and the "hearts of Pittsburghers" to try to create a bidding war or make a spectacle out of himself. Not sure the exact reasons because in his shoes, I'd have picked Pittsburgh every day of the week.

Old
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
SomeDude

The difference between Max and Jagr is that one is good at hockey and one isn't. Max had the game of his life in game 7, but has been mediocre ever since. That's why nobody cares he went to Philly. I love that he did because it's going to end up being a terrible contract that they'll likely buyout.

Old
08-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Lim Ran

vCash: 987
Ideally, I think most Penguins fans would have loved to have Jagr back.

In reality, the last quote made it crystal clear why you don't.

Old
08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
SEALBound

Jagr made his choice. Sad part is, a lot of us believe he might have changed...but he didn't. He made his choice based on the same selfish reasons he's had in the past.

I feel bad for him now though...he's damaged his legacy too much in Pittsburgh for us to recognize him beyond being good while he was here. Washington hates his guts. He was good for NY but will never have the legacy. And he won't spend enough time in Philly to be fondly remembered or recognized later. At the end of his career...no team will have loved him. He'll be remembered for being good...but eventually he'll just fade away and never be apart of a team's legacy.

Old
08-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Jagr made his choice. Sad part is, a lot of us believe he might have changed...but he didn't. He made his choice based on the same selfish reasons he's had in the past.

I feel bad for him now though...he's damaged his legacy too much in Pittsburgh for us to recognize him beyond being good while he was here. Washington hates his guts. He was good for NY but will never have the legacy. And he won't spend enough time in Philly to be fondly remembered or recognized later. At the end of his career...no team will have loved him. He'll be remembered for being good...but eventually he'll just fade away and never be apart of a team's legacy.
Save your sympathy. It's pretty clear that Jagr doesn't really care about "teams". He has an individual statistical legacy that will put him in the hall of fame, and that's all he cares about: himself as an individual.

Old
08-31-2011, 05:23 PM
mpp9

Granted it's cold and calculated Shero, but he made it seem like the events of this summer don't change his legacy with the organization. He may still try and retire his number after this season.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Someone earlier hit the nail: Jagr is still (at almost 40) emotionally needy (and defensive) when it comes to fans and teammates, etc. It's just pathetic.

For my part I wanted him here on the cheap or not at all (leaning towards not at all because he is such a PITA for a team to deal with), but all this secondary analysis by him is totally Jagr-like and unnecessary. Just ST FU and enjoy your new team, OK? See you in November or whenever the first game is. And YES, we will boo you. Because you're a cupcake. Joe Victory is going to knock your teeth out with a wicked slapshot, because he's a real man who knows how to be a professional.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Granted it's cold and calculated Shero, but he made it seem like the events of this summer don't change his legacy with the organization. He may still try and retire his number after this season.
Yep. And I can still hit on 10s after putting on 50 lbs but it doesn't mean it'll get me anywhere.

Old
08-31-2011, 09:37 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

shero did us a favor. move on. jagr isn't going to dominate the league like he used to and the last time jagr played against us, it was his last game in the NHL. Hopefully, we get the chance to retire him again.

Old
08-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Since when are quotes in the lead-up to a negotiation ever taken as sincere? Yeah, sure maybe Svoboda was more loose-lipped then most, but so what? It's still the same concept.

And Shero knew all along. It's been reported that he didn't really want Jagr, so he offered what he though he was worth nothing more. Notice that I'm not ripping Shero. I'm ripping fans who got their panties in a bunch over Jagr "trolling" the Pens.
The only thing Jagr did wrong was sign with our mortal enemy. I don't have an issue he didn't sign with the Pens because, well, he's Jagr.

For signing with the Flyers, though, he's dead to me.

Old
09-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Crozbar

The quotes make me hate Jagr less. They seem to shed a little light on the guy's motives.Yes he's a dick, but he's also more than a bit of a space cadet. &It's hard to hate on the mentally ill.

(...friggin Clown.)

Look forward to the Pens beating him and the Flyers, not that he'd care. Philly already gave him all the recognition he requires by paying him what he wanted...

Old
09-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
If you want a player of certain quality, you can’t offer him third or fourth line money, can you? When you see players on the first line get about seven millions and second liners get five millions, I think my place would be somewhere in between. They offered me fourth line money. That’s it."
Penguins offer Jaromir Jagr (39) $2.1 million

Penguins sign Tyler Kennedy (25) $2 million (Not 4th line)

Penguins sign Pascal Dupuis (32) $1.5 million (Not 4th line)

Penguins sign Steve Sullivan (37) $1.5 million (Not 4th line)

The Pens offered Jagr the most money out of all of our free agent signings and he's complaining that we offered him "4th line money." Jagr is such an *******.

Old
09-09-2011, 09:55 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozbar View Post
Look forward to the Pens beating him and the Flyers, not that he'd care.
Hate to keep this thread alive but that's a great line.

Old
09-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's going to be at least a decade before anybody tries that. And I still would cringe to see that number go up.

Only numbers I want to see up there anytime soon are 21, 66, and 87.

Old
09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Talbot will never have a 1.8 million dollar offer at any other point in his career for any amour of years. You can probably take his earnings before and after that Philly contract, and it won't be more than the 9 million he'll make over the next five years. Furthermore, he's made no statements that Pittsburgh did any wrong-doing; he took the best offer anyone will ever give him and accepted it. Jagr took an offer and began squawking.

Old
09-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Sorry

I think what he meant to say was that the Pens didn't offer him enough money to cover his gambling debts for the year. First liner gambling debts! Not fourth liner.

Old
09-18-2011, 03:43 AM
ArcticFox

Why is everyone so mad? We're expecting undying love for no reason: give him a break.
Shero low-balled him and like he said: last time he was in Pittsburgh he was getting bood and eyes shooting daggers. I would not feel like returning to those same people.

Get the heck over yourselves: Jägrmeister did nothing wrong and neither did Shero.

Old
09-18-2011, 09:54 AM
JustSidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
he said: last time he was in Pittsburgh he was getting booed and eyes shooting daggers. I would not feel like returning to those same people.
Looks like he won't be returning to philly after this year.

If he doesn't play well, he will be booed by the home crowd.

As for returning to the home crowd, it's been ten years. I am sure that if he apologized and returned to the Penguins, they will forgive him and cheer him on. Now, he will be booed in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. You can throw Washington in there too. I cannot believe these three teams can find common ground on anything.

And yes, he will be booed. He is a 40-year-old has been that will not survive the long stretch of a 82 game schedule, if he stays healthy enough to play. I would be surprised if he finishes the season with the Flyers.

Yes, I was in dream world at the end of June. I was thinking about what I wanted it to be instead of thinking what it will be. It's the best thing that could have ever happened to the Penguins this off season; outside of players getting healthy. It is a blessing in disguise that Jagr didn't sign.

Old
09-18-2011, 10:50 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
Why is everyone so mad? We're expecting undying love for no reason: give him a break.
Shero low-balled him and like he said: last time he was in Pittsburgh he was getting bood and eyes shooting daggers. I would not feel like returning to those same people.

Get the heck over yourselves: Jägrmeister did nothing wrong and neither did Shero.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Old
09-18-2011, 11:07 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
It's going to be at least a decade before anybody tries that. And I still would cringe to see that number go up.

Only numbers I want to see up there anytime soon are 21, 66, and 87.
Who dat?

Old
09-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Who dat?
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=12100

Old
09-18-2011, 11:44 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

As I said last night on the main board, now that Jagr is a Flyer, I wonder if Pronger will still call him "Puffnuts" in the locker room???

I hope so.

Old
09-18-2011, 11:51 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Oh **** dude, I'm sorry.

When I read #21, I thought Ominous Grey meant #71 for Geno (since Briere's # has already been officially retired and has a banner in the rafters) but made a typo. I totally forgot about Briere.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Oh **** dude, I'm sorry.

When I read #21, I thought Ominous Grey meant #71 for Geno (since Briere's # has already been officially retired and has a banner in the rafters) but made a typo. I totally forgot about Briere.
S'all good.

Old
09-18-2011, 03:06 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

The reason Jagr didn't sign with the pens.

a reportewr asked him when he was introduced to the media whyhe never signed with the pens. He literally said it was because you guys booed him to much and he didn't like it he wasn't feeling the love from pens fans.

I found it funny myself thats the lamest excuse ever

Closed Thread