HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Training Camp Discussion (9/30: Sauer returns to practice; Kolarik tears ACL)

Old
09-18-2011, 09:33 AM
MorrisWanchuk

vCash: 500
i love the ice guy's tweets:

GODFATHERofIce Miguel
Gaborik-Richards-Wolski on a line in first scrimmage looked fast and had a goal...I'm pumped for the season! Let's go Rangers!

Also, check out his bio on twitter:

"current NY Rangers iceman at the best Practice Facility in the NHL since 2007...former NY Islanders iceman at the worst practice facility in the NHL since 1998!"

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:43 AM
NYRKING30

thats what i like to hear about W2. he is as important as they come to our roster believe it or not and he really needs to step it up this year if we wanna make some noise. everyone shouldn't underestimate him, we all know the talent and ability is there. lets see some consistency from this kid now that he finally seems to realize what HAS to be done.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:44 AM
JimmyStart*

Wow this thread is what HF is all about. great insider info being exchanged, great debate, oppossing sides recognizing that each side's speculation has some basis and nobody is talking at or down to anybody.

As faar as MDZ I definitely agree that conditioning and strength...growing into his body is something every young player MUST do and it will only help him figure out what is his main problem...his brain. No matter what he has to make better decisions...but if he is physically capapble of making more and better plays this may also mitgate some boneheadedness as well as help him avoid making bonehead plays. We'll see. B/t MDZ and Erixon I hope Eminger gets scratched all year though i really liked Eminger. Interested to se if VTank can surprise over one of the aforementioned.

As far as the LW debate both sides were right.

You want to keep those two scoring lines (PACK and the WRG line) and it makes it near impossible to gameplan against. On the other hand you may get two even better scoring lines if Dubs matches better on the 1st while WAC works better as a 2nd. We all know the way Torts is we are likely to see both. Then you get a 3rd line witha hopefully improved Stepan, Avery, Feds...should be a very smart, hard working line and we've got I think the best 4th line in hockey that really could be our 3rd line depending on the games.We'll see how it goes though I feel that 3rd line needs retooling it's missing a scorer.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:48 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Zipay had a breakdown of the first scrimmage

Quote:
Just the first Rangers scrimmage, but the trio of Wojtek Wolski, Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik was quite productive. Wolski had four points, Gaborik two goals and an assist, and Richards hit the crossbar behind Marty Biron from close in on the right as the Reds beats the Greens 4-2.

John Mitchell, feisty throughout, was on a line with JT Miller and Sean Avery, and scored twice for the Greens. Miller was stopped by Jason Missiaen's pad on a penalty shot.

Dale Weise beat Biron on a breakaway, sprung by Wolski...Artem Anisimov centered a line with Mike Rupp and Mats Zuccarello for the Greens...Steve Eminger was pounding people on the borads, playing as if he's not content to be pencilled in as a six-seven D....Michael Del Zotto was pretty crisp...Biron played the whole scrimmage, allowing the four goals. Chad Johnson shut out the Greens in the first of two periods of 20 minnutes of running time..
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...t-1.3180088?p=

The Rangers will play the mandatory 8 players with NHL experience in the Wednesday preseason game.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zipay had a breakdown of the first scrimmage

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...t-1.3180088?p=

The Rangers will play the mandatory 8 players with NHL experience in the Wednesday preseason game.
Good news for Eminger.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placid View Post
ahh, i gotta learn to add

I understand that

Its fairly simple as i see it, if he does fit on the first line, he'll get an awful lot of ToI, and that should (in theory at least) translate into a high point production (considering who his line mates would be, that alone should "bump it up"). So if he is a first liner throughout the season, 70 points is absolutely within reach.
Within reach, and I think it would be the absolute optimal we could hope for. 70 points from Wolski would likely mean 45 something goals from Gaborik, and probably 90 points from Richards. I think thats unlikely, but no point being negative this early.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Does anyone have any information as to why Staal wasnt on the ice?

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Osminator

From AGross

Red: G: Chad Johnson (no goals allowed in first half), Jason Missiaen; D: Michael Del Zotto, Stu Bickel, Steve Eminger, Lee Baldwin, Jyri Niemi; F: Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards, Dale Weise, Lee Grant, Ryan Bourque, Tayler Jordan, Kelsey Tessier, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Wojtek Wolski.

Green: G: Marty Biron; D: Dan Girardi, Pavel Valentenko, Tomas Kundratek, Samuel Noreau; F: Sean Avery, John Mithcell, Mats Zuccarello, Artem Amisinov, J.T. Miller, Andrew Yogan, Jordan Hickmott, Kale Kerbashian, Mike Rupp, John Mitchell.

Osminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Omg Wolski is going to be ****ing great. Is 60-70+ points a little to unrealistic?
Considering you're most likely basing this off a practice scrimmage goal he just scored while playing against many kids, yes.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We need to get the bubble players minutes in the preseason games that we have vs NHL opponents.

I have all the respect in the world for foreign clubs, but I feel that on a large ice surface, against a slightly lower quality of opposition is not the best place to measure kids like Zuccarello.

Old
09-18-2011, 10:20 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Each of the four teams have 16 players....Henrik Lundqvist scheduled to play the entire 40 minutes (running time) for the Whites; Scott Stajcer/Cam Talbot will split time for the Blues…Notables: Dubinsky, Stepan, Callahan could be top trio on Blue….Prust-Boyle-Fedotenko for White…. Erixon on White…Thomas, Hagelin, McColgan on Blue….Mike Sauer on Blue roster, along with McDonagh, Bell, McIlrath, Ceresnak on D…Yogan's separated shoulder will keep him out of these, but he skated in the practice between 10 and 11 a.m.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...w-1.3180125?p=

Sauer didn't skate the conditioning drills on Friday. He skated by himself yesterday. Sauer is scheduled to participate in the 1pm scrimmage so no ill effects from skating yesterday.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Considering you're most likely basing this off a practice scrimmage goal he just scored while playing against many kids, yes.
I'm not going to say it again because I'm not basing this off scrimmage goals.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:36 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Sauer didn't skate the conditioning drills on Friday. He skated by himself yesterday. Sauer is scheduled to participate in the 1pm scrimmage so no ill effects from skating yesterday.
Great news about Sauer (and Anisimov).

Er, didn't we see a number of tweets that said Yogan actually already played in the first scrimmage?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Great news about Sauer (and Anisimov).

Er, didn't we see a number of tweets that said Yogan actually already played in the first scrimmage?
Yeah , I recall seeing some too..

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:55 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Hopefully we get to see McIlrath in a preseason game this time around...Miller too.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Ola

Quote:

VERY INTERESTING!

Seems like a lock that these two will get a surefire lock at the top 2 lines:
1. Wolski-Richards-Gabby
2. Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan

And than these two seems likely for the other two:
3. [Avery/Rupp]-Anisimov-Zucc
4. [Avery/Rupp]-Boyle-Prust

The first lines in TC have for as far as I can remember, with the exception of Shanny's first year here when JJ was injured, basically been kept together for atleast a couple of games of pre-season.

I like that Zucc seems to have a spot to loose. As opposed to Christensen.

I bracket Avery/Rupp since I wouldn't be suprised at all if Torts is just playing game with Avery by putting him on like a 8th line to start the season...

I don't mind at all that Stepan is given a shot at a scoring role on a top 2 line. I think that Anisimov-Zucc and Stepan-Cally makes alot more sense than the other way around.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:00 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Hopefully we get to see McIlrath in a preseason game this time around...Miller too.
Miller played and was on the line that scored the two goals for the losing team (although I don't know if he had assists).

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:10 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Miller played and was on the line that scored the two goals for the losing team (although I don't know if he had assists).
Yeah but from the tweets it seemed most of that was generated by Mitchell and Avery.

I do remember reading that Miller was stopped on a penalty shot.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:25 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Scrimmage performance is totally meaningless, but...

I've been saying for months that Wolski was easily ripe for a 50+ point season. He's only one year removed from scoring 65 in the NHL without a ton of offensive talent around him, still young enough that consistency can be an issue without it spelling the E-N-D for him and in a contract year, potentially playing with Richards and Gaborik, he just has too much talent to not be able to produce. Just by virtue of defenders trying to zero in on Richards and Gaborik on that line, he has too much talent not to be able to capitalize on the space that those two create just by being on the ice.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:29 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
VERY INTERESTING!

Seems like a lock that these two will get a surefire lock at the top 2 lines:
1. Wolski-Richards-Gabby
2. Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan

And than these two seems likely for the other two:
3. [Avery/Rupp]-Anisimov-Zucc
4. [Avery/Rupp]-Boyle-Prust

The first lines in TC have for as far as I can remember, with the exception of Shanny's first year here when JJ was injured, basically been kept together for atleast a couple of games of pre-season.

I like that Zucc seems to have a spot to loose. As opposed to Christensen.

I bracket Avery/Rupp since I wouldn't be suprised at all if Torts is just playing game with Avery by putting him on like a 8th line to start the season...

I don't mind at all that Stepan is given a shot at a scoring role on a top 2 line. I think that Anisimov-Zucc and Stepan-Cally makes alot more sense than the other way around.
I think Fedotenko's relationship with Torts gives him a marked advantage over Rupp and Avery insofar as starting lineup positioning goes. If the top two lines remain the same, I'd say it's Rupp and Avery fighting for the final spot, with Feds taking the other LW spot.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Fedotenko is not going to be a healthy scratch to start the season. Would surprise the hell out of me.

Based on first day scrimmage, they seem intent on

1. Wolski on the top line
2. Stepan on the 2nd line
3. Keeping the Feds-Boyle-Prust line together.

That said, anything can change at any time. But it is worth noting that the pack line has, in fact, been broken and that Rupp is not playing on the Boyle line as I had hoped.

Old
09-18-2011, 11:36 AM
azrok22

PANIC.

Quote:
NYP_Brooksie Larry Brooks
NEWS: Marc Staal being held out of scrimmages because of lingering issues as result of crushing hit from brother Eric in Carolina last 2/22
Quote:
Marc is cleared for contact but Rangers are being cautious after post-concussion-like symptoms developed over summer, Post has learned
Quote:
Staal not expected to play in any of three North American exhibition games....Tortorella will address issue later this afternoon...

E tu, Eric?

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Colt Seavers

It's just like Marc said at the ASG team selection.
...Eric is classless!

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:43 AM
NYRKING30

RT @NYP_Brooksie: Staal being held out of scrimmages b/c of lingering issues as result of crushing hit from brother Eric in CAR last 2/22

Old
09-18-2011, 11:44 AM
NYRKING30

oh man..10-12 years ago besides eric lindros and paul kariya, concussions werent this rampant i recall.