HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2011, 12:04 PM
NYRKING30

vCash: 500
you can feel that from raleigh

Old
09-18-2011, 12:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I would pass a mandate to every player in the Rangers organization, top to bottom, Juniors, College, AHL, ECHL, Europe, NHL...EVERYONE HAS TO wear a visor and the Cascade Messier M11 helmet. Everyone. I don't care how "cool" you need to look with a slimmer helmet and no visor. You prevent meaningless injury or you're gone.

Enough is enough.

Time to be proactive.

And hope that mandate spreads to the rest of the hockey world.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:05 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I would pass a mandate to every player in the Rangers organization, top to bottom, Juniors, College, AHL, ECHL, Europe, NHL...EVERYONE HAS TO wear a visor and the Cascade Messier M11 helmet. Everyone. I don't care how "cool" you need to look with a slimmer helmet and no visor. You prevent meaningless injury or you're seeding the rest of your contract in the AHL.
Hard to tell if a visor would've helped absorb some of the blow on this hit, but I do agree with you 100% on visors being mandatory.

As far as mandating a particular helmet, that I don't agree with. While the Messier helmet may be designed for concussions, everyone's head is different, and sometimes a different option will just fit better.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
NYRKING30

does anyone think if it can be that bad? considering he played really well for us down the stretch. for some strange reason i have feeling something could have happend during the summer. you never know.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Hard to tell if a visor would've helped absorb some of the blow on this hit, but I do agree with you 100% on visors being mandatory.

As far as mandating a particular helmet, that I don't agree with. While the Messier helmet may be designed for concussions, everyone's head is different, and sometimes a different option will just fit better.
They need to do something.

Visors, mouth guards, throat guards, and wrist guards should be mandated, IMO.

Avoid all preventable injuries to the eyes, slit jugular veins, broken wrists.

Combine the M11 with a good visor and a custom mouth guard and you're improving your chances to avoid concussions from the get go.

I just don't understand how the league allows its players to be at extra unnessesary risk, when the technology and equipment is out there to prevent specific injuries.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:12 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
does anyone think if it can be that bad? considering he played really well for us down the stretch. for some strange reason i have feeling something could have happend during the summer. you never know.
The guys spend hours and hours at the gym/track/rink during the summer and that's a lot of stress on the body. Imagine working out for up to 9 hours a day with breaks of course. That could have triggered something.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:13 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

This is seriously unbelievable. All these injuries and it's only the third day of training camp.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:15 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The guys spend hours and hours at the gym/track/rink during the summer and that's a lot of stress on the body. Imagine working out for up to 9 hours a day with breaks of course. That could have triggered something.
yeah or basically the last man standing style of first 2 days of camp torts run. thats a great point. lets all hope its nothing serious.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:17 PM
MorrisWanchuk

ideally we'd have no injuries. if we're going to have any, then maybe i'd rather they be at the start of the season rather than the end.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Not all concussions are debilitating. Sounds like this is more like a Brad Richards/Gabby concussion and not a Lindros one.

Still though, jesus christ. I can't think of anything that would've done it other than that hit by Eric unless he did something over the summer. Get better soon, Marc.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:29 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Of course. Love how training camp has started already. Keep the good news coming.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

NYP_BrooksieLarry Brooks
Staal did take and pass baseline test in March.

Would think this means it cant be all that serious

Old
09-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I suppose if they don't want to play him in the preseason, that is not the end of the world.

But it makes you wonder, if he has passed all the tests what the concern over a relatively non-competitive scrimmage/ preseason game is.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:38 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
NYP_BrooksieLarry Brooks

im breathing that much easier..great news

Old
09-18-2011, 12:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I suppose if they don't want to play him in the preseason, that is not the end of the world.

But it makes you wonder, if he has passed all the tests what the concern over a relatively non-competitive scrimmage/ preseason game is.
And if he's OK, you'd like him to get the summer rust off and into games before the season starts.

This is an odd situation.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:41 PM
azrok22

Quote:
NYP_BrooksieLarry Brooks

The problem would be that the original tweets indicated that the post-concussion symptoms occurred during the summer -- after he had passed the baseline test in March.

The fact that he is currently being held out but is cleared for contact should be much more soothing than the fact that he passed the baseline test prior to the symptoms even being present.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
NYP_BrooksieLarry Brooks

You're right. It's not all that serious. That doesn't mean concussions or Marc's condition are not to be taken lightly.

The team is taking precautionary measures. That is all. These pre-season games are for a lot of the other guys who are trying to fight for a spot on the team. Let Marc take it easy and he'll be ready to go.

No big deal.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:47 PM
NYRKING30

when it hits the crosby-o-meter then we can start panicking.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I would pass a mandate to every player in the Rangers organization, top to bottom, Juniors, College, AHL, ECHL, Europe, NHL...EVERYONE HAS TO wear a visor and the Cascade Messier M11 helmet. Everyone. I don't care how "cool" you need to look with a slimmer helmet and no visor. You prevent meaningless injury or you're gone.

Enough is enough.

Time to be proactive.

And hope that mandate spreads to the rest of the hockey world.
Um, I have to ask.

How is wearing (or not wearing ) a visor relevent to the subject matter and content of this thread/Staal's injury?

Are you under the impression a visor would have prevented Marc Staal from getting a concussion and the subsequent PCS?

Old
09-18-2011, 12:56 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Um, I have to ask.

How is wearing (or not wearing ) a visor relevent to the subject matter and content of this thread/Staal's injury?

Are you under the impression a visor would have prevented Marc Staal from getting a concussion and the subsequent PCS?
The likely cause of the injury is when Staal's face smacked into the ice -- not the impact of Eric hitting him. Depending on the angle, a visor may have absorbed at least part of that impact.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Um, I have to ask.

No I think he's stating that concussions and eye injuries are 2 serious concerns that rise to the level where you are mandating equipment guidelines....

Old
09-18-2011, 12:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Um, I have to ask.

I think he's just saying it's time to improve helmet technology to protect better against all possible head injuries (including facial ones) instead of just trying to look cool.

Old
09-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
There has GOT to be a way to come up with a helmet that can do a better job of mitigating this issue... I don't care if it makes the players look like bobble head dolls and it fogs up or makes it harder to fight or whatever (all the BS that players use to justify the fact that they're still risking their eyes by not wearing visors). Figure it out, make it mandatory - they'll get used to it within a few months. Let's stop risking losing the best players from our game.
It's a great idea, but intuitively you're going to have a real hard time developing an external device to solve an internal problem.

That is, the problem is the brain smashing against the inside of your skull, which we can't really prevent or even dampen. Can we reduce the force on the outside of the skull? Possibly, but even whiplash causes the problem, which doesn't require any force directly contacting the skull, simply the motion of the head when the body is struck with force. No helmet can help there...

Old
09-18-2011, 01:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Visors most for eye and facial injuries.

But, yes, in some cases a visor can prevent concussions/head injuries because they prevent/limit impacts to the face.

I've had instances where my mask prevented my face from hitting the ice, sticks, boards, and other helmets. No doubt prevent serious injury.

My wrist guards have prevented broken wrists.

My mouth guard has prevented shock that could have resulted in concussion.

And my throat guard has softened impact from deflected pucks, sticks, and luckily I never had skate runner(blade) come up at my neck but just in case, my throat guard was there.

All serious injuries I could have sustained, I prevented, just because I had small pieces of equipment.

Im a defenseman.

And none of them prevent me from playing. Scoring passing, stick handling...

There's no excuse to not have these pieces of equipment on at higher levels of play. Where speed of the game is unavoidable.

These pieces of equipment prevent injury on their own. And require little maintence.

Old
09-18-2011, 01:08 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Sounds to me like this is very similar to the Anisimov situation with his knee; they both felt something and reported it and they're being extra cautious just in case. Never anything wrong with that.

Closed Thread