HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Just thought I would point out

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 09:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Just thought I would point out

since so many seem so hellbent on pointing out Salo's save percentage tonight and he being the reason for the loss and how much Conklin is so better.

When Conklin left the game, his save percentage was only .846 for this game.

Maybe this may show a few of you that goatending was really NOT the problem this evening but the skaters in front of the goalies!!

Old
10-23-2003, 09:50 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
since so many seem so hellbent on pointing out Salo's save percentage tonight and he being the reason for the loss and how much Conklin is so better.

When Conklin left the game, his save percentage was only .846 for this game.

Maybe this may show a few of you that goatending was really NOT the problem this evening but the skaters in front of the goalies!!

But dont you get it man? It's all Salo's fault. The reason we got wasted by a superior team looking for payback, the reason we only scored one goal, the reason Eric Brewer tried setting up the Avalanche in our zone almost all game.... its all Salo's fault. On a small market team like Edmonton, where we arguably have no elite players [eg. Forsberg, Thornton, Hossa, Sakic], after a bad loss the top of the food chain [contract-wise] gets it.
It happens to be Tommy.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:24 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
But dont you get it man?
ya Spaz... don't you get it man? lol.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
But dont you get it man? It's all Salo's fault. The reason we got wasted by a superior team looking for payback, the reason we only scored one goal, the reason Eric Brewer tried setting up the Avalanche in our zone almost all game.... its all Salo's fault. On a small market team like Edmonton, where we arguably have no elite players [eg. Forsberg, Thornton, Hossa, Sakic], after a bad loss the top of the food chain [contract-wise] gets it.
It happens to be Tommy.
You have hit the nail on the head!

Old
10-23-2003, 11:09 PM
OYLer

Unfortunately Smytty and Isbister are on top of our small market food chain as well ... mores the pity.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Shizuka

I'll chime in...

...and add my defense of Salo. He came in completely cold, and the Oil for whatever reason again collapsed inwards. MacT has said before that part of their success needs to come from clearing rebounds after the initial save to limit the opposition chances. On at least 2 of the goals, Avs players were left alone to pop in goals i.e. no one picked up their checking assignments. And they actually played decently in the 1st. What happened after that? I don't believe the injury to Conklin was the catalyst, although after that point they folded.

Brewer had an atrocious effort, not sure what's wrong in his head or if his confidence is shot? He lost numerous battles along the boards in his own end; he was -4 for the night when it was all said and done. Semenov looked rather shaky (tentative, make bad decisions on outlet passes) and even the veterans on the D looked..uhh...disaffected, disinterested? Staios / Smith looked mediocre, and the guys were NOT picking up their marks in our end of play (that especially applies to the forwards).

Reasoner missed his man on one of the goals, and all the forwards appeared to be cheating high on the boards instead of sticking near the hash marks. I think Moreau was about the only forward who showed any heart. Georges Laraque...I'm sorry, but what is the point in roughing things up at the end of the damn game when it doesn't matter anymore? Where's that emotion at the beginning of the game? Granted, special teams take away the 4th line's ice time but still...sometimes I wonder about Laraque's "honour" system. Hemsky had a poor effort, and seemed to have trouble handling the puck tonight which is a rarity for him.
York coughed up the puck a number of times. The list could go on and on...

Ok, a bit of a rambling diatribe but it's disheartening to see them collapse again. For a team that is allegedly built on "character, grit and heart" we sure seem to be in short supply of those qualities. Whatever system MacT has in place, the guys keep forgetting the fundamentals of it. Very disappointing effort tonight.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:42 AM
serum114

With the team that played in front of him last night, it doesn't matter who was in net, it could have been Ken Dyden, Jacques Plante, Patrick Roy, anyone--they would have been shelled.

Blame the team after a game like that, not the goalie.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:07 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

sarcasm aside and all can you put your heads together and say that the team is struggling as a whole or is it all the defences fault, give me a break. maybe this reflects on macts coaching or how young this team is.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:10 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i think some of you guys are missing the point on salo, so for the last time he has been struggling since last year, not just one game. is it all his fault, no but tell me why a lot of people agree that he is not that same goaltender we had a couple of years ago. he even admits he has struggled so DONT YOU GET IT MAN.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
Quote:
It happens to be Tommy.

I get it as far as this goes..... Salo has not played even close the last two years as he did the first two years for us. Part of it is the loss of some great defencemen. Alot of it has to do with that Salo is not mentally tough. I point to that atrocious goal that was a pass and went of his stick into our net in game six. That goal eliminated us, AGAIN. Where was his head??? The last two years, he has let in a plethra of goals just like this. It also affects the team worse too, cause they know if they make one tiny little mistake, we pay the ultimate price. Sorry, Salo isn't pulling his weight any better than any one else on this team. If this team is gonna turn it around, Salo HAS TO BE ONE OF THE LEADERS!!!! He is one of our highest paid players, and one of our veterans. If he steps up his play, so will the rest of the team. Do I think he is capable? He hasn't shown any spark like he did when he first came to us with something to prove after how he got run down in Long Island. Salo is missing the fight and the drive he had then. When he gets that back, then, and only then, will he play better.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:15 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

very well said belcriss.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:13 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
Where was his head???
Hey, maybe he was doing what every goalie is supposed to be doing, and looking around for the opposition and where they are setting up.

I highly doubt he was thinking about rice krispies at the time.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:33 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
i think some of you guys are missing the point on salo, so for the last time he has been struggling since last year, not just one game. is it all his fault, no but tell me why a lot of people agree that he is not that same goaltender we had a couple of years ago. he even admits he has struggled so DONT YOU GET IT MAN.
The only thing I have defended is this game, nowhere have any of the people defending Salo said that he was as god as he was 2 yrs ago. So it is you that doesn't get it!

Old
10-24-2003, 06:27 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

no you missed my point, now try really hard to think about what i write, he has struggled maybe it is time for a change, tell me does it make sense to keep a guy who is struggling. wake up buddy your defense of salo is crumbling. maybe you forget that the oilers are a small market team, fiscally responsible, so hhhhhhhhhmmmmmm lets think should we keep him or trade him to save money to sign lets say steve staios to a new deal instead. now relax and get my point please, or go suck a lemon.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
Salo IS our highest paid player.

Closed Thread