HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Another day another Schneider rumor.

Old
09-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Burrows19

vCash: 7363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
He should have proved more at this level - he's 25 and Turris just turned 22.

I would do it because of Turris' potential, coupled with the fact we're going to need some offense out of that 2nd line centre position until Kesler returns. Turris hasn't set the world on fire but he also hasn't played on the PP and was only given 11 minutes a night on a very defensive minded team.

I doubt Turris would demand anything unreasonable if he was a Canuck. He probably just wants out...
Goalies also hit there prime atleast 5 years later then players.... Schneider has proved more then most elite goalies at his age.

Burrows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:48 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

vCash: 500
A first (possible top 10) plus Turris would be great imo!

Especially in a really good draft like this.

Let's hope for the best with this trade and get that player plus a first

JumpierPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:53 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrows19 View Post
That was there 2011 1st (The last draft) or in the other words Sean Couturier.
oh right, thanks.

My first thought was Brassard and a 1st though that seems like wishful thinking. I couldn't see the BJs doing anything too desperate prior to the season, positive they will wait and see how Mason does. I'm not even sure that Columbus could afford to loose Brassard from their offense.

With Schnieder, I don't the Coyotes first rounder would be a top 5. I would think it would be one or the other in regards to their 1st and Turris. Mike Smith is their weak spot so no surprise that they would have interest in Schneider. Gillis is in a position where he could pry Turris out of Phoenix. To me, Turris wants out of Phoenix while they have a need for Schneider. Could work. I'd like to see Turris with Kesler, I think that would be a very good fit better than with Hodgson. Long term there is room for both Turris and Hodgson, one of which would have to play wing.

*cough* healthy lineup *cough*

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Samuelsson
Burrows - Kesler - Turris
Sturm - Hodgson - Hansen
Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

err, missing Raymond. I'm sure something figured out. If there is a chance to nab Turris, I say go for it.

VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:02 PM
jd22

vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
Damn you HF for giving me pipe dreams.

That said, I would have no problems throwing in some lower picks to maybe balance the tables if we got phx's 1st and turris. Or, Doan and Turris... would really have to up the ante on our part though. Probably Schneider and Hodgson, 1st, Connauton. Something like that? Turris's value is kind of low to phoenix as he obviously wants out.

jd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
*cough* healthy lineup *cough*

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Samuelsson
Burrows - Kesler - Turris
Sturm - Hodgson - Hansen
Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

err, missing Raymond. I'm sure something figured out. If there is a chance to nab Turris, I say go for it.
That lineup is absolutely ridiculous.
I'd love for them to deal Schnieder for Turris & a 1st.
I do agree that we could do with a power forward but bringing Turris in would give us absolutely insane depth down the middle.
Also the idea of a Higgins-Manny- Lappy 4th line is amazing, definately the best in the league.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:07 PM
LuongosTirePump

Wasn't Strickland the one who also said we'd be getting Winchester? Perhaps I'm wrong. Definitely would be stoked on a player + 1st for Schneids. Turris and a 1st would be killer, plus the Yotes really need someone and losing Bryz. I can't see the BJ's being in on this, I bet they will pit their hopes on Mason bouncing back this season.

LuongosTirePump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
hackey

You really need to know what this Turris kid is all about first, if it is him

Is he really asking for a rumored $3M or so after producing just 25points and hasn't really proven anything
That's totally unrealistic and kind of odd, is he going with the same demands if he's traded?

or Is he getting bad advice from his agent or just wants out of Phoenix?
Demanding to be traded doesn't reflect good character either

He seems like a nice young guy with a bit of potential, but until Gillis finds out what's really making him tick... he would probably stay away

Why would he want that type of attitude (if it's real) in the locker room

MG wants kumbaya playing in the background while they sip his coolaid

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:15 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontmeslerwithkesler View Post
Wasn't Strickland the one who also said we'd be getting Winchester? Perhaps I'm wrong. Definitely would be stoked on a player + 1st for Schneids. Turris and a 1st would be killer, plus the Yotes really need someone and losing Bryz. I can't see the BJ's being in on this, I bet they will pit their hopes on Mason bouncing back this season.
It was Strickland. I'm pretty sure it was about Gillis and Winchester talking contract, which seems likely to of happened.

VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescently View Post
I'll come right out and say it. The Pheonix first gives us a chance at Yakupov. I don't care who you are, if you have even the slightest chance to get someone that talented, you pull the trigger.

Oh my God, if we could get Yakupov, it would be the best day since we drafted Bure in 89.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:28 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Would love to find away for say something like Turris and Gormley for Schneider and a 1st?. I'd say Schneider for Gormley is a bit of a underpayment for the Yotes and Turris without a contract and all this between Turris and the Yotes that a 1st rounder is fair and evens things out?. We would be building a pretty strong future for us with Hodgson, Turris, Gormley, Tanev and Edler and Kesler are still pretty young this will bring in the next wave nicely.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:32 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

The options like Turris or Brassard etc don't make much sense here. The Canucks are clearly in win now mode and Turris is a long way from proving himself, while he's made his outrageous contract demands public - something that can't sit well with Gillis considering the importance he places on both good salary structure and character.

Doan makes much more sense right now for the Canucks than any other option presented. Gillis doesn't sound like he's interested in getting back a player who won't provide a big impact now while also not providing a positional need. Can't believe that Gillis would put priority on the future (ie Henrik's replacement) with a valuable asset now while using his best trade asset.

If Strickland is correct that the Canucks also want a 1st, I could see a Doan+1st for Schneider+ (1st, Raymond, Schroeder, Sauve, etc) type deal. With Hodgson in the pipeline on a team with both their top-2 locked up longterm, Gillis' focus on win-now, structured payroll and overall character, Turris doesn't seem like a target for him at all.

If Schneider is dealt, look for Legace to take over as backup. There's gotta be a reason he's accepted a tryout here - he must think he has a legit shot and that only happens if Schneider is dealt. And again look at Gillis' tendencies to realize that Lack isn't a realistic option at this stage. He's been very vocal about developing his assets slowly and properly. Bringing up Lack now to play a backup role while he's better off carrying a starter's load in the A, doesn't make much sense. Look for Lack to get call-up duty first in this transition to NHL backup, meaning he won't be a fulltime backup this year.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
If Schneider is dealt, look for Legace to take over as backup. There's gotta be a reason he's accepted a tryout here - he must think he has a legit shot and that only happens if Schneider is dealt. And again look at Gillis' tendencies to realize that Lack isn't a realistic option at this stage. He's been very vocal about developing his assets slowly and properly. Bringing up Lack now to play a backup role while he's better off carrying a starter's load in the A, doesn't make much sense. Look for Lack to get call-up duty first in this transition to NHL backup, meaning he won't be a fulltime backup this year.
Agreed with this point. Legace seems like a natural candidate to slide in for a year while waiting on Lack, if Schneids is gone.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

If we're talking to PHX I'd want to do:

Schneider + Hodgson + pick

for

Doan + Turris

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:40 PM
mstad101

Even though I don't buy the CBJ team is interested, imma throw in my 2 cents for PHX proposals (as I agree with the PHX interest).

A little different,
Schneider Raymond conditional pick (between 2 to 5 based on games played, lowers with more games played in the season).
Doan conditional 2nd, (based on Doan re-signing or not, signed no pick, does not re-sign 2nd rounder.)

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Even though I don't buy the CBJ team is interested, imma throw in my 2 cents for PHX proposals (as I agree with the PHX interest).

A little different,
Schneider Raymond conditional pick (between 2 to 5 based on games played, lowers with more games played in the season).
Doan conditional 2nd, (based on Doan re-signing or not, signed no pick, does not re-sign 2nd rounder.)
Pheonix fans seem willing to trade Doan and a conditional second straight up for Schneider. Seems like a good deal to me.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

The legace try out thing did not make sense at all, but if this goes down.

It makes perfect sense.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Agreed with this point. Legace seems like a natural candidate to slide in for a year while waiting on Lack, if Schneids is gone.
I would venture a guess Eddie Lack is twice the goalie Legace is right now. If Schneider is dealt the only role I could see Legace in is seat-filler in case of injury with Lack called up to spell Luongo while also being the starter in Chicago. Legace isn't NHL calibre and IMO Eddie Lack very well could be. Though if Schneider is dealt I would look for a guy like Labarbera coming back...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Turris is on the verge of being an impact player right now. He hasn't been given an opportunity yet under Tippett and would be a much better candidate than Hodgson to centre the 2nd line in Kesler's absence. Turris' point production in relation to his minutes was nothing to scoff at...

Doan would be the obvious target but if for whatever reason he's unavailable I wouldn't balk at the opportunity to add a talent like Turris to the organization. There's just too much potential there to pass on and holding onto Schneider beyond this season just can't be an option for Gillis.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:50 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
If we're talking to PHX I'd want to do:

Schneider + Hodgson + pick

for

Doan + Turris
Why not just simple like Schneider for Doan? whats the point of paying Hodgson+ for Turris?

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:51 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I would venture a guess Eddie Lack is twice the goalie Legace is right now. If Schneider is dealt the only role I could see Legace in is seat-filler in case of injury with Lack called up to spell Luongo while also being the starter in Chicago. Legace isn't NHL calibre and IMO Eddie Lack very well could be. Though if Schneider is dealt I would look for a guy like Labarbera coming back...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Turris is on the verge of being an impact player right now. He hasn't been given an opportunity yet under Tippett and would be a much better candidate than Hodgson to centre the 2nd line in Kesler's absence. Turris' point production in relation to his minutes was nothing to scoff at...

Doan would be the obvious target but if for whatever reason he's unavailable I wouldn't balk at the opportunity to add a talent like Turris to the organization. There's just too much potential there to pass on and holding onto Schneider beyond this season just can't be an option for Gillis.
Lack has not played one game in the NHL as of yet. I don't see how you could possibly say this with any confidence.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:53 PM
hoodstar

How about CBJ 1st + Mason for Schneider? We would get an adequate back up goaltender back as well as a first round pick that the CBJ would inevitably have trouble developing. It is imperative to find a goaltender that can play a bulk of games to rest Luongo. If we go into the playoffs there's a possibility of playing more games (up to 28) and I don't think it's in the interest of GMMG to tire out Luongo.

hoodstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:55 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrows19 View Post
Goalies also hit there prime atleast 5 years later then players.... Schneider has proved more then most elite goalies at his age.
Not necessarily. Luongo already had a Vezina nomination and 4 years as a starter at Schneider's age. Lundqvist had a Vezina nomination by 24. Fleury had won a cup and had 4 years as a starter by Schneider's age. Ward won a cup and a Conn Smythe at 22.

Some goalies who play in Europe in their earlier years take longer to make an impact at the NHL level (Rinne, Hiller, etc.) But among North American goaltenders who turn into solid starters, Schneider's probably a little behind the curve if anything.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

If we're to ship Schneider to Phoenix, I really doubt we'd get Doan in return. It would be pretty cool if we could score Vrbata/Whitney + futures, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodstar View Post
How about CBJ 1st + Mason for Schneider? We would get an adequate back up goaltender back as well as a first round pick that the CBJ would inevitably have trouble developing. It is imperative to find a goaltender that can play a bulk of games to rest Luongo. If we go into the playoffs there's a possibility of playing more games (up to 28) and I don't think it's in the interest of GMMG to tire out Luongo.
...Mason probably still has more value than Schneider.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
If we're to ship Schneider to Phoenix, I really doubt we'd get Doan in return. It would be pretty cool if we could score Vrbata/Whitney + futures, though.
Ugh....no thanks.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Why not just simple like Schneider for Doan? whats the point of paying Hodgson+ for Turris?
fiiiiiine that works too

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Not necessarily. Luongo already had a Vezina nomination and 4 years as a starter at Schneider's age. Lundqvist had a Vezina nomination by 24. Fleury had won a cup and had 4 years as a starter by Schneider's age. Ward won a cup and a Conn Smythe at 22.

Some goalies who play in Europe in their earlier years take longer to make an impact at the NHL level (Rinne, Hiller, etc.) But among North American goaltenders who turn into solid starters, Schneider's probably a little behind the curve if anything.
Schneider might be a little behind but he hasn't really had anywhere to go. With Luongo at the helm he was never going to be the starter and he needed the games at the pro level to develop.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote