HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Duncan Keith rejuvenated for this season.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:58 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

vCash: 500
Duncan Keith rejuvenated for this season.

Quote:
Blackhawks' Keith rejuvenated for this season
Defenseman in a better place mentally and physically than this time last year

The summer after the Blackhawks won the 2010 Stanley Cup, Duncan Keith took some time to relax before the defenseman began training for another season of hockey.

Just not nearly enough time.

"We won the Cup and I took two weeks off," Keith said. "Looking back, it was probably the stupidest thing I could have done. But I didn't want to be behind in my training; I wanted to get stronger and get going to the gym.

"I remember doing squats and my hip would be bothering me and my shoulder felt like it was coming out. I needed to take maybe another month off and I would have been a lot better for it."

Keith refuses to use as an excuse the lack of time to rejuvenate following the run to the championship, but he wasn't able to maintain the level of play he reached in 2009-10 when he skated off with the Norris Trophy as the league's top defenseman.

"Everybody will tell you when you go that far there's always little injuries and things that come up," Keith said. "It can be tough to play through that, and then when you get back to the gym and you start training for the season, those injuries haven't healed.

"I felt like I could play every game so I played. If I wasn't ready to go then I wouldn't have played."

Keith did play in all 82 regular-season contests and seven more in the Western Conference quarterfinals against the Canucks. The Cup season, it was 82 regular-season games and 22 in the playoffs. That was a combined 5,193 minutes of ice time over two seasons, which is more than 31/2solid days of chasing and moving pucks and delivering and absorbing checks. Throw in a stint on the 2010 gold-medal-winning Canadian Olympic team, and it made for a run-down Keith.

"You feel like you're going into (last) season feeling good … and you try to tell yourself you feel good and you get going and the body checks are coming and you realize you definitely don't feel as good as you have in years past," the 28-year-old said. "I was excited to play last year. I maybe could have done a better job of taking more rest rather than getting back in the gym right away and not trying to be a workaholic so much."

The first-round playoff departure afforded the Hawks and Keith more time to rest than they'd have liked, but he took advantage of it. After a busy July when he got married to wife Kelly-Rae in the Virgin Islands, six weeks of R&R began when the pair met up with former Hawks teammate Brian Campbell and his fiancee in Italy and then hung out with another ex-mate, Cam Barker, and his girlfriend in Greece.

But most of the time, Keith spent at his home in Penticton, British Columbia.

"I was just back at my house on the lake, training (and) working out," Keith said. "It was real peaceful and quiet. It feels like I was in isolation for a couple of months."

It was a noticeably more relaxed and refreshed Keith who took the ice Saturday during the first on-ice sessions of training camp at the United Center, and the Hawks are hoping that leads to another trophy-winning season for defenseman.

"Watching him (Saturday) and looking at him on a daily basis over the last couple of weeks, he really looks like he's in the right place," Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said.

Keith confirmed he's in a better place mentally and physically than this time last year.

"I feel better," he said. "Now it's just a matter of going out there on the ice and making it work. I think we all had a long break, a lot of rest and a lot of time to enjoy ourselves. It's time to get back to work now."
I think he's going to have a monster year.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:22 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
I think he's going to have a monster year.
Agreed. We all know what Keith is capable of and he's got something to prove now. That means very bad things for the rest of the NHL. Keith is the best overall d-man in the league and he's going to win as many Norris trophies as Chelios IMO.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:06 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Keith's going to win the Norris again this year, count on it.

I've been saying it for months, it seemed like the back to back deep playoff runs drained him more than anyone else on the team. Having an extra month off will undoubtedly do wonders for him, as will the fact that he's going to start off the year hungry again, so no doubt in my mind he's going to play his butt off this season.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 03:10 AM
Sevanston

Actions speak louder than words, Duncs.

I'll believe it when I see it for most of the season. Same goes for everyone.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 06:13 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Actions speak louder than words, Duncs.
I'll believe it when I see it for most of the season. Same goes for everyone.
Yep. Don't wish to be cynical but there was a lot wrong with Keith's game last year. Mostly mental and I hope the long rest off-season helps but a few words will not turn that around.

At least now Q should not be hand-cuffed into playing him excessively even when he is off his game.

Last edited by BobbyJet: 09-18-2011 at 06:21 PM.
BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

He broke the freaking pedal off the stationary bike in the VO2 test. Machine! LOOOOOOL.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 07:41 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Yep. Don't wish to be cynical but there was a lot wrong with Keith's game last year. Mostly mental and I hope the long rest off-season helps but a few words will not turn that around.

At least now Q should not be hand-cuffed into playing him excessively even when he is off his game.
What do you expect the guy to do when his defensive partner takes the entire year off?

The Hawks' D is even worse this year, I really don't expect much from anybody.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
What do you expect the guy to do when his defensive partner takes the entire year off?

Seabrook took the entire year off? Really?

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:53 PM
brevard*

Quote:

Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what you are talking about.

Pretending Seabrook played awful so Keith's game suffered shows ... well why start a fight.
Do you really believe it though? Couldn't have been two guys, inexperienced at winning (or playing so late into the spring) suffering from a major stanley cup hangover and letting each other down?

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post

Pretending Seabrook played awful so Keith's game suffered shows ... well why start a fight.
Do you really believe it though? Couldn't have been two guys, inexperienced at winning (or playing so late into the spring) suffering from a major stanley cup hangover and letting each other down?
^
This

Both Keith and Seabrook were disappointing with mental mistakes last year defensively

To single out Seabrook and give Keith a pass is foolish

None of our top 4 gave us consistant quality hockey last year

Hammer started off year poorly

Seabrook and Keith were both on and off

And Campbell still had games late in year that were filled with error even though his overall defensive play was improved

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 01:50 AM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
This

Both Keith and Seabrook were disappointing with mental mistakes last year defensively

Hammer started off year poorly

And Campbell still had games late in year that were filled with error even though his overall defensive play was improved
Yep.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 01:59 AM
zac

Quote:

I don't know where he gets this crap from either.

I mean really, we are talking about 2 defensemen who have at least been above average for the previous 2-3 seasons. While I think Seabrook is severely overrated, he still isn't nearly as bad as he was last year (bogus PP totals aside). Keith, even if at a level below that of 2 and 3 years ago, would still be world's better than last year's play.

Simply being objective leaves any sane individual thinking the defense will be much better than it was last year. Keith, Seabrook, and to a lesser extent Hammer all played below previous levels for much of the season last year. They were all coming off a Stanley Cup, career highs in minutes and games played, and are just entering (or yet to enter) the primes of their careers. It is reasonable, if not highly likely, that all will play closer to previous levels rather than duplicate last season's futility. While the loss of Campbell hurts, he is the ONE player who exceeded expectations, arguably having the best all-around season of his career. Although I think he'll play well again this season, the odds of duplicating last year's performance, given the age at which he logged this great performance, is (at least) fairly likely not to occur. Add in the additions which will bolster our third pairing, PK units, and overall depth and I will be stunned if we aren't significantly better this year.

If these three players dupiclate the season's they had 2 years ago (in Seabrooks case how he played the first 1/3 to 1/2 the season) this defense will be dominant. Especially if Leddy can play even remotely close to an average level.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:07 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
This

Hammer started off year poorly. Question for you all at the same money, who would you rather have?

Seabrook or Campbell.

I think Seabrook had the worst year of all our D-Men. Keith was not too far behind and Hammer lagged at the start.

Campbell was solid all year for what he's asked to do. He's going to be missed.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:04 AM
slappipappi

Quote:

(sigh)

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 08:22 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

It's great that everyone feels rejuvenated after a long summer...we have heard this from just about all the players. But I guess that also means that the Hawks will never repeat as Cup winners either because it is impossible to come back rejuvenated after a long playoff run.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 09:44 AM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
It's great that everyone feels rejuvenated after a long summer...we have heard this from just about all the players. But I guess that also means that the Hawks will never repeat as Cup winners either because it is impossible to come back rejuvenated after a long playoff run.

I note and don't disrespect the sarcasm here. However a few things do have to be noted.
Because of the physical beating the stanley cup is without doubt the toughest trophy to win in sports. Recovering from that beating takes time, most of the Blackhawks core group had no concept of this as was pointed out in the Keith interview (after a week or 2 off he was working out again) While Duncan may be as close to superman as humanly possible the body needs to recover. Chicago would have been much better off with these guys taking 6 weeks off, letting their bodies recover and getting off to a slow start while having something left in the tank later in the season. Opinions vary but in my opinion our more consistent guys last year who were also on the cup team were Campbell, Hossa and Kopecky. ... All seasoned veterans who I would bet took the time needed to rejuvinate.

Once you win everyone is playing to beat you, you have that target on your back. Yet due to the cap forced purge last years team really wasn't representative of the team that won the cup. To have expected them to repeat would have been foolish. I think the braintrust knew it. Rather than do something stupid and risky such as rushing a bunch of not ready prospects in to fill the holes they made careful additions. Not necessarily gunning for glory but guys who would assist (NOT HURT) the kids (they are still kids) as they continue to grow up as pros. While they did not get a champions results the workmanlike attitude of guys like Johnson and Pisani who have endured tremendous suffering yet bust their ***** and sacrafice their bodies for the good of the team I am sure was seen by the young 20 somethings.

I expect big things this year, the team is primed to compete at a high level. The glory earned also brought lessons learned and based on interviews these guys are not sitting back happy they got one ring. I sense a certain fire and attitude in the interviews. I am looking forward to the season and mostly next springs playoffs.

My one major concern is actually Crawford. It may also be the concern of management. The NHL is and has been littered with flash in the pan netminders who have a great season never to be heard from again. Really I hope I'm wrong but he is the one REALLY unproven element on the roster. I think if that is to happen we are (smartly) positioned to have Salak and Emery fight it out. Our last 2 seasons have seen the #1 guy in October not be that guy come March. Like I said, I don't want to be right but this could make it 3 in a row.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
My one major concern is actually Crawford. It may also be the concern of management. The NHL is and has been littered with flash in the pan netminders who have a great season never to be heard from again. Really I hope I'm wrong but he is the one REALLY unproven element on the roster. I think if that is to happen we are (smartly) positioned to have Salak and Emery fight it out. Our last 2 seasons have seen the #1 guy in October not be that guy come March. Like I said, I don't want to be right but this could make it 3 in a row.
I get people having worries about Crawford to an extent but to consider him a possible flash in the pain is a bit off. It's not like he was some 20 year old in his first year as a pro having a good NHL season. He has a track record. The few sniffs he had in NHL games prior to this year he had good numbers and some success, and it wasn't like Niemi completely smoked him out of a spot two seasons ago. It went down to the wire between the two and if anything it was Crawford's contract and ability to be sent back to the minors that had a huge hand in Niemi gettin the nod. (someone feel free to correct me if that's false but Niemi wasn't able to go back to Rockford without being put on waivers, right?)

On top of that, like I said, he's not some young kid with no experience. He's been putting his time in at the AHL level being the number one guy for most of the time and is in his mid 20's. He's mature and was very good when he was "the guy" last season and when it mattered most in the playoffs in some games he was the sole reason they survived and took that series seven games. If he had folded in the playoffs I'd be a lot more worried about him going into this season, but I'm not all that concerned and feel comfortable with him back there.

I understand people having reservations, but he doesn't fit "flash in the pan" criteria in my opinion. There's a track record and some experience there, and there's no better experience than an NHL playoff series and he was as good there as he was all season.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:

A bigger reason the d struggled was the lost of forward depth. The d had to play in their own end alot more. It is the same reason Larry Murphy played well in Detroit after being booed out of Toronto. Hard to shine with your face in the glass all night

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
digdug41982

Quote:

Call me crazy but I thought Seabrook took a big step up with his offensive game and while he was inconsistent at times defensively, he was still one of the more reliable players coming back from the Cup hangover.

Old
09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Call me crazy but I thought Seabrook took a big step up with his offensive game and while he was inconsistent at times defensively, he was still one of the more reliable players coming back from the Cup hangover.
I wouldn't say a big step, more like a baby step. I particularly liked some of Seab's tape-to-tape stretch passes .... but both of them struggled in stretches and when it happened in the same game it looked bad at times. I think both players would admit they can be much better, especially defensively.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 01:23 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Seabs, Keith, Hammer will all need to be better without Campbell. Don't overlook the other obvious possibility. The cup team was loaded and the Hawks dominated puck possession. When all those players left, the team suffered in every area..

Maybe they will never look as good again.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
MagicSlap*

I don't think our problems this year will lie in our top 3.

I expect Keith to re-gain Norris form (especially so after watching him in training camp). Seabrook will continue to develop his offensive game and his defensive stoutness should return as the need to be physical is going to be eased by the addition of both offensive and defensive grit. Hammer is going to surprise a lot of people this year and have a great season imo. People forget how young he is and that he's still developing. Despite his poor start last season I think he recovered well.

I am concerned about the bottom 4 though. Montador didn't look great to me in camp and really struggled at the end of last season; asking him to play in a top 4 role is a stretch. That means Leddy will have to assume a top 4 role whchi could be problematic. Don't get me wrong, I'm very high on Nick but he's also very young and while he was good last year, for a rookie, he still has a long way to go. O'Donnell looked good in camp when I saw him but being good in camp and at the end of the year into the playoffs is another thing. Lepisto I didn't see much of camp and don't know much about but if he can be similar to Campoli that'll be fine with me.

I see the D looking something like...

Keith/Seabrook
Hjalmarsson/Leddy
Montador/O'Donnell and Lepisto rotating with Scott getting a couple of games

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:01 PM
digdug41982

Montador had a concussion near the end of last year and played much worse after returning. As long as he's healthy, we'll get the 1st half player.

Old
09-19-2011, 05:06 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
I note and don't disrespect the sarcasm here. However a few things do have to be noted.
Because of the physical beating the stanley cup is without doubt the toughest trophy to win in sports. Recovering from that beating takes time, most of the Blackhawks core group had no concept of this as was pointed out in the Keith interview (after a week or 2 off he was working out again) While Duncan may be as close to superman as humanly possible the body needs to recover. Chicago would have been much better off with these guys taking 6 weeks off, letting their bodies recover and getting off to a slow start while having something left in the tank later in the season. Opinions vary but in my opinion our more consistent guys last year who were also on the cup team were Campbell, Hossa and Kopecky. ... All seasoned veterans who I would bet took the time needed to rejuvinate.

Once you win everyone is playing to beat you, you have that target on your back. Yet due to the cap forced purge last years team really wasn't representative of the team that won the cup. To have expected them to repeat would have been foolish. I think the braintrust knew it. Rather than do something stupid and risky such as rushing a bunch of not ready prospects in to fill the holes they made careful additions. Not necessarily gunning for glory but guys who would assist (NOT HURT) the kids (they are still kids) as they continue to grow up as pros. While they did not get a champions results the workmanlike attitude of guys like Johnson and Pisani who have endured tremendous suffering yet bust their ***** and sacrafice their bodies for the good of the team I am sure was seen by the young 20 somethings.

I expect big things this year, the team is primed to compete at a high level. The glory earned also brought lessons learned and based on interviews these guys are not sitting back happy they got one ring. I sense a certain fire and attitude in the interviews. I am looking forward to the season and mostly next springs playoffs.

I don't think any of us expected the Hawks to repeat last season, not after the amount of roster turnover that occurred last summer. I just don't think the players should have come out and openly said that they struggled last season because of the Cup run the season before. It makes it sound like they are using it as an excuse. It would have sounded better if they had pointed to the loss of talent and depth as the reason why they struggled.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Montador had a concussion near the end of last year and played much worse after returning. As long as he's healthy, we'll get the 1st half player.
Doesn't that sound the "What the ****?" Alarm?

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote