HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Training Camp: Scrimmage Two

Old
09-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers Training Camp: Scrimmage Two

The rest of the Rangers in camp (except Marc Staal, Michael Sauer and Brandon Prust) were on the ice this afternoon for the second scrimmage. The White team, quite unexpectedly, won the game 4-2. With six regulars on Blue, it was thought that Blue would dominate, but Henrik Lundqvist, White’s goalie for the entire scrimmage, [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 03:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Thanks, again.

Sounds about right with Thomas. He didn't impress me at all in Traverse City.

Juniors are one thing, but at higher levels I just don't know if he can be at all effective. He's not a heady player, he's weak, and he's a liability defensively.

He's young so he has time. But he could be another example of many of players that can rack up points in Junior, but its Junior.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 04:41 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Thanks Leslie, great reads as always.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 04:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Thanks, again.

Sounds about right with Thomas. He didn't impress me at all in Traverse City.

Juniors are one thing, but at higher levels I just don't know if he can be at all effective. He's not a heady player, he's weak, and he's a liability defensively.

He's young so he has time. But he could be another example of many of players that can rack up points in Junior, but its Junior.
He impressed me in Traverse City, but not enough that I thought he would get a spot this year.

Hagelin was like that, too. The only guys I were REALLY impressed with were Bourque and Erixon.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 05:45 PM
ecemleafs

McColgan is only 5'9"? seemed a bit bigger looking at TC.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 05:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He impressed me in Traverse City, but not enough that I thought he would get a spot this year.

Hagelin was like that, too. The only guys I were REALLY impressed with were Bourque and Erixon.
I was impressed with his compete level, his skating, and his overall skill. But as far as playing the game, I wasn't impressed. He's not a good hockey player, yet. Poor decisions with the puck at times, poor positioning, lost defensively, physically weak. Lots of bad habits he's able to get away with in Junior that he wont be able to at the Pro level. Such as turning his back to the play along the boards, its dangerous. And instead of using his speed to go to the outside around defenders, he chips it passed them but theyre playing his chest not the puck, he wont get the interference call everytime. Luckily for him, he can spend a year at the Junior level improving his overall game before he can turn Pro.

Erixon i was very impressed with. He's a true hockey player. Smart at both ends of the rink, head is always up, positionally and fundamentally sound, good stick, good decision making, calm under pressure. He's the real deal.

(I hope Tim takes #20 like his dad)

Bourque was very good, but im still concerned about his size and durability at the Pro level.

And Hagelin looked like he could be a fine defensive forward. Someone that could step in and contribute without being a liability. He has high end speed. His hands aren't great, though. But he is strong, and looks polished enough to play NHL hockey.

From the sound of it, though, only Erixon is impressive in camp, out of the Traverse City guys. I was hoping at least one forward would make a case for himself. Still plenty of time for them to do that.

Valentenko must be licking his chops at the fact Sauer is unable to play yet. His only shot at an NHL spot is if someone plays themself out of a spot (Del Zotto/Eminger) or someone gets hurt.

Old
09-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

It's the second day of camp.

Don't put too much significance into how Dubi and Cally's line did. While I personally don't think Stepan should be centering that line, it's a little early to start talking juggling.

I'm sure when Artie returns to action, he'll placed between Dubi and Cally. Wouldn't mind seeing Boyle there, either. I think Boyle on that line would be very interesting.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 06:47 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
It's the second day of camp.

Don't put too much significance into how Dubi and Cally's line did. While I personally don't think Stepan should be centering that line, it's a little early to start talking juggling.

I'm sure when Artie returns to action, he'll placed between Dubi and Cally. Wouldn't mind seeing Boyle there, either. I think Boyle on that line would be very interesting.
Artie is already back in action, and played today with Rupp and Zuccarello.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
I was impressed with his compete level, his skating, and his overall skill. But as far as playing the game, I wasn't impressed. He's not a good hockey player, yet. Poor decisions with the puck at times, poor positioning, lost defensively, physically weak. Lots of bad habits he's able to get away with in Junior that he wont be able to at the Pro level. Such as turning his back to the play along the boards, its dangerous. And instead of using his speed to go to the outside around defenders, he chips it passed them but theyre playing his chest not the puck, he wont get the interference call everytime. Luckily for him, he can spend a year at the Junior level improving his overall game before he can turn Pro.

Erixon i was very impressed with. He's a true hockey player. Smart at both ends of the rink, head is always up, positionally and fundamentally sound, good stick, good decision making, calm under pressure. He's the real deal.

(I hope Tim takes #20 like his dad)

Bourque was very good, but im still concerned about his size and durability at the Pro level.

And Hagelin looked like he could be a fine defensive forward. Someone that could step in and contribute without being a liability. He has high end speed. His hands aren't great, though. But he is strong, and looks polished enough to play NHL hockey.

From the sound of it, though, only Erixon is impressive in camp, out of the Traverse City guys. I was hoping at least one forward would make a case for himself. Still plenty of time for them to do that.

Valentenko must be licking his chops at the fact Sauer is unable to play yet. His only shot at an NHL spot is if someone plays themself out of a spot (Del Zotto/Eminger) or someone gets hurt.
There is the chance that Valentenko sneaks onto the roster this year in Sauer-esque fashion as the guy that needs to be waived (I believe he has to be waived?) starts as the 7th and eventually wins a spot. Can you imagine if we had waived and lost Sauer last year? Before camp nyr2k2 and I were pretty much the only ones saying he could be of use, and all of a sudden he is a top 4 guy here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think it was Thomas who took a brutal shot to the head during the Dallas game at TC.

Still kind of bummed about Yogan not seeing any camp time

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I think it was Thomas who took a brutal shot to the head during the Dallas game at TC.

Still kind of bummed about Yogan not seeing any camp time
You did not see my tweet during the scrimmage today. Yogan played. But was pretty invisible. When I asked Torts about Yogan's shoulder, he said that Yogan was okay.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:00 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

nope I don't do the tweet thing, but thanks so much for posting leslie !

I might be about 8000 miles from home but the rangers and their community make me feel at home

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Artie is already back in action, and played today with Rupp and Zuccarello.
meh its camp and its Torts so of course they are going to mix up . Stepan is not a bad option between Dubi and Cally but yes rather see AA back their again and I am sure we will

although remember how Shelley did well with AA. Rupp is similar.

gonna be interesting to see how it all ends up. How many preseason games in NA?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
meh its camp and its Torts so of course they are going to mix up . Stepan is not a bad option between Dubi and Cally but yes rather see AA back their again and I am sure we will

although remember how Shelley did well with AA. Rupp is similar.

gonna be interesting to see how it all ends up. How many preseason games in NA?
Everyone clicks well with Anisimov. Except Gaborik, really. There are players that just have a way of helping others. With cycle type teammates, AA is that guy.

He would look good with Fedotenko and Prust, he looks good with Dubi and Cally.

Old
09-18-2011, 11:50 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
There is the chance that Valentenko sneaks onto the roster this year in Sauer-esque fashion as the guy that needs to be waived (I believe he has to be waived?) starts as the 7th and eventually wins a spot. Can you imagine if we had waived and lost Sauer last year? Before camp nyr2k2 and I were pretty much the only ones saying he could be of use, and all of a sudden he is a top 4 guy here.
I feel like I saw plenty of people myself included who'd talk about the impact Sauer could have if he could just stay on the ice.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

Well at least we can't lose a scrimmage

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 09:45 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Its certainly possible.

However, Erixon and Del Zotto have to flop horribly to lose their spot.

Some don't realize how badly this team needs Del Zotto.

Im glad Dave Maloney echoed on HNL the other night, what I've been saying for a while now.

Erixon does NOT make Del Zotto expendable. They're not the same player. They do not provide the same things.

The Rangers NEED Del Zotto's ability to quickly turn the puck up ice and head long a guy like Gaborik. They need Del Zotto so they can have a transition game.

They need Del Zotto because they need a guy who can potentially put up 40-50 points from the blueline (37 as a 19 year old in a shaky rookie season, 40+ isn't out of the question).

Valentenko doesn't provide anything any of the other guys don't. That's my concern. Valentenko is physical, so is Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, and Del Zotto. Valentenko can shoot. So can Erixon, Del Zotto, McDonagh, and Girardi.

Can Valentenko man the point on the power play? Can he move the puck quickly up ice? Does he have high end vision and passing?

Im not as sold on Valentenko as some others here. 24 year old that's been passed over for a promotion in the past. No NHL experience.

I've been hearing about Valentenko making the NHL roster for two years. He had an opportunity last year, and Sauer, McDonagh, Eminger, Del Zotto, Gilroy all played ahead of him.

I could be wrong, but Valentenko is nothing more then organizational depth in case of injury or incompetence by players already on the NHL roster. Which could happen (hopefully it doesn't).

Staal being out and Sauer being questionable for the start of the pre-season is a HUGE opportunity for Valentenko.

Old
09-19-2011, 10:01 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Its certainly possible.

However, Erixon and Del Zotto have to flop horribly to lose their spot.

Some don't realize how badly this team needs Del Zotto.

Im glad Dave Maloney echoed on HNL the other night, what I've been saying for a while now.

Erixon does NOT make Del Zotto expendable. They're not the same player. They do not provide the same things.

The Rangers NEED Del Zotto's ability to quickly turn the puck up ice and head long a guy like Gaborik. They need Del Zotto so they can have a transition game.

They need Del Zotto because they need a guy who can potentially put up 40-50 points from the blueline (37 as a 19 year old in a shaky rookie season, 40+ isn't out of the question).

Valentenko doesn't provide anything any of the other guys don't. That's my concern. Valentenko is physical, so is Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, and Del Zotto. Valentenko can shoot. So can Erixon, Del Zotto, McDonagh, and Girardi.

Can Valentenko man the point on the power play? Can he move the puck quickly up ice? Does he have high end vision and passing?

Im not as sold on Valentenko as some others here. 24 year old that's been passed over for a promotion in the past. No NHL experience.

I've been hearing about Valentenko making the NHL roster for two years. He had an opportunity last year, and Sauer, McDonagh, Eminger, Del Zotto, Gilroy all played ahead of him.

I could be wrong, but Valentenko is nothing more then organizational depth in case of injury or incompetence by players already on the NHL roster. Which could happen (hopefully it doesn't).

Staal being out and Sauer being questionable for the start of the pre-season is a HUGE opportunity for Valentenko.
hit the nail on the head my friend

people are seriouslly under estimating how much the rangers need del zotto (or the player they're counting on him being) in order to take the next step

and erixon is not a replacement or alternative. The team has no replacement at this point. If Del Zotto doesnt pan out you can bet your ass Sather will be looking outside of the organization to fill that hole.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:23 AM
parcsalooc

Anyone else seeing Hagelin as Sjostrom part 2?

parcsalooc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:29 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Hagelin reminds me of Korpikoski, more then Sjostrom.

Old
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Hagelin reminds me of Korpikoski, more then Sjostrom.
I thought Korpikoski for the longest time but someone mentioned Pascal Dupuis and I could 100% see that comparison.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I would be higher on Del Zotto's chances if I had gotten a better vibe from the organization about him.

All I was hearing at the end of last year was that Del Zotto was doing "iffy" in hartford, that his confidence was shot and that he likely would have to start this year in the minors again.

We could really use Del Zotto. But we don't need a -23 Del Zotto. If he is going to be that big of a defensive liability i'd happily take a journeyman #7 defenseman.

Old
09-19-2011, 11:34 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I totally agree with MDZ. Remember his passes in his first year? He was able to thread the needle with little effort. Some believed it was Gaborik who inflated his point and assist total. Issue with that is, MDZ also inflated Gaborik's total with some of those ridiculous passes.

Issue last year was he was thinking too much. He was forcing plays he made without effort in his first year.

With MDZ playing to his potential, this team's offense will be much more dangerous.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:45 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
I would be higher on Del Zotto's chances if I had gotten a better vibe from the organization about him.

All I was hearing at the end of last year was that Del Zotto was doing "iffy" in hartford, that his confidence was shot and that he likely would have to start this year in the minors again.

We could really use Del Zotto. But we don't need a -23 Del Zotto. If he is going to be that big of a defensive liability i'd happily take a journeyman #7 defenseman.
where did you hear this from an organization source?

not doubting you, but i dont recall hearing that or anything to that tune

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
where did you hear this from an organization source?

not doubting you, but i dont recall hearing that or anything to that tune
I think that Joe said that Tortorella said it, sometime during a broadcast late last season.

Its entirely possible that I misremembered it, but I thought that was what was said.

In any case, the reports from camp so far is that he has looked pretty good.