HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Jackson Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Gee guess when i reported Staal had a concussion last season after the dirty hit by his brother and the NY media and Ranger denied it I was dead on.. The Rangers PR and the mets Doctors would be one hell of a team.. WOW
I was on board with you Dagoon unlike a lot of posters here.

Old
09-18-2011, 06:52 PM
richardsequalscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
First year Ranger/hockey fan eh?

Drop the God complex. I've been watching hockey for over 35 years. That's why I don't think the world ends when you lose somebody like Marc Staal. He's not one of the best defenseman in the game. He's a guy who has played a lot of hockey vs. other teams best lines. However, he's hardly on the level of a Chara or Lidstrom. You don't mail in the season because you lose Marc Staal. People on this board act like he's the savior of the team. Lundqvist is the savior of this team. Without him they don't make the playoffs since he put on the uniform.

Old
09-18-2011, 06:54 PM
richardsequalscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Girardi also becomes much worse without Staal by his side.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe Staal would be a lot worse without Girardi by his side? Staal is the one who makes the bonehead plays from time to time. Not Girardi.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:00 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
Did it ever occur to you that maybe Staal would be a lot worse without Girardi by his side? Staal is the one who makes the bonehead plays from time to time. Not Girardi.
I agree. Girardi is every bit as good as Staal. This team has very good depth on defense so they will be quite ok if Staal misses some time this year.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:04 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

sorry for being a total A hole right now but where are the db's who said the hit to the head caused a knee injury?

Old
09-18-2011, 07:09 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
i remember that hit. I remember thinking, "Gee that was unnecessary and mean".
Oh well, I hope Marc lays out Eric with an open ice hit this year, and knocks the wind out of him hard.

LOL unnecessary and mean. It's a contact sport.

If Marc did that to Eric you wouldnt be saying that. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Eric's hit.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:11 PM
darko

Quote:
Gee guess when i reported Staal had a concussion last season after the dirty hit by his brother and the NY media and Ranger denied it I was dead on.. The Rangers PR and the mets Doctors would be one hell of a team.. WOW

Except it wasnt dirty.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
There has GOT to be a way to come up with a helmet that can do a better job of mitigating this issue... I don't care if it makes the players look like bobble head dolls and it fogs up or makes it harder to fight or whatever (all the BS that players use to justify the fact that they're still risking their eyes by not wearing visors). Figure it out, make it mandatory - they'll get used to it within a few months. Let's stop risking losing the best players from our game.
It's not just the helmet that's important, it's wearing a mouthpiece too. The mouthpiece helps prevent your jaw from moving in weird ways that cause concussions (and/or make them worse) too.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:16 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

This thread 7 months later is officially gold

Quote:
If he has a twisted kne ethen I am Mark Messier. Staal got his bell rung by the hit and then hit his face on the ice he may have a concussion or a bad headache but his knee is a excuse for sure.
Quote:
Walking fine because he never hurt his knee lol .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
If Staal did have a concussion, would he fly to DC? No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
Stop making sense, Loffen. It's obviously a cover up!
Quote:
I never said 100% concussion I said bell rung or cuncussion. The guy smacked his head pretty darn hard and then had to leave wasn't limping at all. sTOP BEING A WISE GUY AND LOOK AT THE FACTS. hE WAS PLAYING A REGULAR SHIFT UP TO THAT POINT AND THEN GOT BLASTED AND LEFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
Staal definitely tweaked his knee. It happened in the first few minutes of the game. It was a nothing type play but he got spun and I noticed he reached for his knee / grimaced a bit. I was like oh crap, but he was out for regular shifts so didn't think much of it.

I definitely thought he got his bell rung when Eric leveled him so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Unfortunately, this is a "knee" because the NHL gets a say in the matter when it turns in to a "head".

Edit: unfortunate because I feel his well being should come first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It's a knee problem...he's limping

Don't be stupid and start this conspiracy BS haha oh wait this is hfboards
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
which is exactly how you would expect someone who is covering up a concussion with a knee injury to act.

but seriously, why would they announce Gaborik has a concussion and not Staal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Please people, he hurt his knee. His head is not what bothers him. SO stop talking about the hit, that is not where he got hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Maloney said if he didn't have a leg injury the league would have to look at the concussion injury.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
sorry for being a total A hole right now but where are the db's who said the hit to the head caused a knee injury?
Apparently he had both so it ends up that we were all half right

Old
09-18-2011, 07:19 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

So Dagoon isn't Mark Messier? awww

Old
09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
So Dagoon isn't Mark Messier? awww
haha that was a great line!

Old
09-18-2011, 07:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
It's not just the helmet that's important, it's wearing a mouthpiece too. The mouthpiece helps prevent your jaw from moving in weird ways that cause concussions (and/or make them worse) too.
You're absolutely right, Brooklyn - those should be mandatory as well.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Exactly right pal. Some of the decisions Staal makes with the puck in his own zone border on the bizarre and are absolutely mindless. Some of the people on this board talk about Staal like he's some kind of elite defenseman which is really laughable.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:38 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Drop the God complex. I've been watching hockey for over 35 years. That's why I don't think the world ends when you lose somebody like Marc Staal. He's not one of the best defenseman in the game. He's a guy who has played a lot of hockey vs. other teams best lines. However, he's hardly on the level of a Chara or Lidstrom. You don't mail in the season because you lose Marc Staal. People on this board act like he's the savior of the team. Lundqvist is the savior of this team. Without him they don't make the playoffs since he put on the uniform.
You've been watching hockey for 35 years? could have fooled me.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Exactly right pal. Some of the decisions Staal makes with the puck in his own zone border on the bizarre and are absolutely mindless. Some of the people on this board talk about Staal like he's some kind of elite defenseman which is really laughable.
Have you guys actually watched the Rangers in the past few years? It's painfully clear Staal is better than Girardi. Girardi's play has suffered any time he doesn't play with Staal- Marc IS an elite defensive d-man.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:47 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
He is elite.

However, McDonagh and Sauer did more then an adequate job filling in for him last season. Staal missing some games wouldn't be the end of the world.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Staal without Girardi > Girardi without Staal

I didn't know that was up for debate.

It's just pain.
Old
09-18-2011, 07:51 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Let's get all the injuries out of the way early

Old
09-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
http://www.ahfmr.ab.ca/publications/...outhguards.htm

Interesting study about mouthpieces and visors/face shields and concussions

Old
09-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Marc Staal is constantly talked about as a top 20 d-man in this league. I'd consider that one of the best. He is a massive loss if he goes down.

Girardi played last year without staal and was borderline horrendous. Staal makes Girardi better, they do have great chemistry together, but to compare them in skillset is laughable.

One is an all-star d-man the other is a good #3 who plays #2 on this team.

I realize you are a new poster that says he has watched hockey for 35 years, but if you can't see the difference between Staal and Girardi then there should be no surprise that your judgment is being called into question.

Old
09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Levitate

A couple of games, especially early in the season, isn't a big deal

A couple of months? That's a problem, though again, better at the beginning of the season than at the end

Old
09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Staal without Girardi > Girardi without Staal

I didn't know that was up for debate.
Staal is the linchpin. Girardi is a nice compliment. But give Sauer a year or two with Staal and he would be much the same.

Girardi without Staal is an average 2nd pairing guy.

We can't lose Marc for extended time in the regular season. We could likely cope without Girardi.

Old
09-18-2011, 08:24 PM
gotmonte

F-ing UGH!

Old
09-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Levitate

Quote:
On whether Staal experienced headaches late last season: “When he was in Carolina, when he was hit, he hurt his knee, and was shaken there too. I remember the night after, in the evening, he felt it there a little bit. I’m not sure how many games he was out with it – three. We did, we had him take a baseline test. He cleared the test, came back and played,
MIght clear up some questions on what happened

Closed Thread