HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2011, 09:46 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
this could be a real big problem this year. Later in the season if he initiates or gets hit to hard, this could come back to really limit his and our ability.

Not enthused about this at all

Old
09-18-2011, 09:55 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

They're doing the right thing, even if he misses a few regular season games it's not the end of the world. You don't want his career shortened because they need him right away. Better to get him at 100%.

To look at things with the glass half full (disclaimer; they're not going anywhere significant without Staal); this is a tremendous opportunity for a guy like Valentenko or Kundratek to show that they belong and log some NHL minutes or at least preseason minutes with an NHL partner. Erixon and Del Z are expected to make the team so they don't really count.

Old
09-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Except it wasnt dirty.
calling B.S. on that one.

Old
09-18-2011, 09:59 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
this could be a real big problem this year. Later in the season if he initiates or gets hit to hard, this could come back to really limit his and our ability.

Not enthused about this at all
I'm also really worried that this will effect his play. Less willing to take a hit because he doesn't want to aggravate his symptoms

Old
09-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
LOL unnecessary and mean. It's a contact sport.

If Marc did that to Eric you wouldnt be saying that. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Eric's hit.
Darko your so wrong and don't know me. Hits to the head are dirty and have place in the game period ranger or non ranger that is whats ruining hockey. More great hockey games and players are being lost to head injuries that's a darn shame. As far as Messier goes he was one dirty player and he won a ton of cups but he could have had charges pressed against him if he did 1/2 that crap on the street

Old
09-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
This thread 7 months later is officially gold

thanks for posting these just shows some people need to see facts not just be told what the msg hype machine says.

Old
09-18-2011, 10:04 PM
NYRKING30

wow does anybody ever recall a case like this? i don't this is strange.. i still feel he may have hit his head or did something further in the offseason even though as some1 said earlier could also be from the training. like some1 says lets get the injuries out of the way now, play it safe, and hopefully things dont get messy. lord knows we need that man to succeed.

Old
09-18-2011, 10:20 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
They're doing the right thing, even if he misses a few regular season games it's not the end of the world. You don't want his career shortened because they need him right away. Better to get him at 100%.

To look at things with the glass half full (disclaimer; they're not going anywhere significant without Staal); this is a tremendous opportunity for a guy like Valentenko or Kundratek to show that they belong and log some NHL minutes or at least preseason minutes with an NHL partner. Erixon and Del Z are expected to make the team so they don't really count.
A few games, sure. I think people are just worried about him missing a significant amount of time. He does that and we're toast.

Old
09-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Calad
Section 422

I personally thought the staal on staal hit was fine. Yeah it was vicious, but it wasn't dirty.

Old
09-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Dagoon44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x5xPlUOPhU
here is the hit. the shoulder and follow through is to the head..Funny thing is when clip ends sure looks like a knee problem wow some people need to watch and pay attention

Old
09-18-2011, 11:05 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
here is the hit. the shoulder and follow through is to the head..Funny thing is when clip ends sure looks like a knee problem wow some people need to watch and pay attention
The knee injury didn't happen during that play, it happened during Staal's first shift of the game.

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Chances are Rangers defenseman Marc Staal will miss the third game of his career, Friday against the Capitals, because of the left knee he twisted on the first shift of Tuesday's match in Carolina.

.................................................. ..............................................

"It's a little bit sore," said Staal, who testified that the huge, shoulder-to-shoulder hit from older brother Eric with 50 seconds to go in the second period that knocked him hard to the ice had nothing to do with the knee injury.

"It was on the very first shift, I was trying to protect the puck and I bent it," Marc said. "It was a little sore as the game went on. It wasn't strong. Rammer taped it up but I didn't feel safe or strong enough to put myself at risk.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...#ixzz1YMbQfSBJ

Old
09-18-2011, 11:23 PM
darko

Quote:
Darko your so wrong and don't know me. Hits to the head are dirty and have place in the game period ranger or non ranger that is whats ruining hockey. More great hockey games and players are being lost to head injuries that's a darn shame. As far as Messier goes he was one dirty player and he won a ton of cups but he could have had charges pressed against him if he did 1/2 that crap on the street

The post you quoted was a reply to the other poster and not you.

It wasnt a headshot per say. Marc was skating with his head down and Eric nailed him. Pretty hard not to make some sort of contact to the head when you are same height as the guy you are hitting. Eric didnt leave his feet, no elbow and it wasnt blindside. Nothing wrong with it if you ask me.

Old
09-18-2011, 11:25 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
I personally thought the staal on staal hit was fine. Yeah it was vicious, but it wasn't dirty.

Agree. Good hard hit. Hope Marc is OK though.

Old
09-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Initial contact was shoulder to shoulder, and he lead with his elbow down. He didn't make any direct contact with the head on the initial hit, but Marc had his head down and clearly wasn't prepared for the hit. Watching the video again it even looks like he might have hit his head on the ice well after the hit was delivered

Old
09-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
The knee injury didn't happen during that play, it happened during Staal's first shift of the game.

You are the person i am directing my other posts towards. Stop you sound foolish defending it was a knee .. The rangers hid the concussion and blamed the knee nothing more. Stop and watch the video he was skating fine and moving without issue he got nailed smashed his face and got his bell rung. he left the game and missed 3 now has post concussion symptoms. Do the match man

Old
09-18-2011, 11:47 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
You've been watching hockey for 35 years? could have fooled me.
Actually, looks like he did fool you. In fact, based on the absolutely blatant stupidity you've repeatedly put forth in this thread, I'd wager that you are fooled quite regularly and easily.

Old
09-18-2011, 11:55 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
You are the person i am directing my other posts towards. Stop you sound foolish defending it was a knee .. The rangers hid the concussion and blamed the knee nothing more. Stop and watch the video he was skating fine and moving without issue he got nailed smashed his face and got his bell rung. he left the game and missed 3 now has post concussion symptoms. Do the match man
Thanks for the kind words, saying I sound foolish and whatnot. Why do you always have to act so hostile and defensive? I was only reporting what Staal himself said about the knee injury.

And I never denied that he didn't suffer a concussion. There were 2 separate injuries, the knee and the concussion. I explained it one of my posts above. The Rangers had no clue he had a concussion until late March, which doesn't exactly make the situation any better. They should have conducted a baseline test right after the hit and they failed to do so until a month later after Staal missed 2 games for "undisclosed reasons." I am not thrilled with how the Rangers handled this either.

Old
09-19-2011, 01:53 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

They'd cover it up because they wouldn't want *******s like Cooke, Neil, Ruutu, etc. running around taking head shots at Staal and trying to make things worse.

The Rangers did what any team would do. Also, knowing that a player is weakened by something like a concussion and having him play despite the fact makes things even worse and the team wouldn't want to expose him. Think about these things.

However, I do want someone taking runs at Eric now. An eye for an eye should be practice with this team like it used to be. We used to have Kocur, Domi, Beukeboom, etc. run after star players on other teams when players took liberties on our own.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:23 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:

I remeber when reading that,I belived it was just to protect he`s brother Eric from blame.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
I remeber when reading that,I belived it was just to protect he`s brother Eric from blame.
Yeah, me too.

Like, Marc to a hard hit to the head. Looked uncomfortable. Then its reported that he missed time because of a "knee-injury"? Right. Not long after that, he was highsticked in the face, and I think he left the game. And did he even sit out one more game after that? I don't remember exactly, but I remember posting here about that it looked like he had concussion problems.

Marc missed 4 games in March and 2 games in April in diffrent stints. If I remember correctly I thought all of them were concussion related.

Old
09-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Isn't it possible he had both injuries?

Old
09-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
If thats the case, you gotta define injuries when you talk about hockeyplayers in March/April...

Eric Staal's hit was a prototypic hit that results in a concussion. Most concussions comes from when your jaw is pushed into the head basically. A hit on jaw is alot worse than a 10x as hard hit to the back of the head, in principle. Eric's shoulder hit Marc square on the jaw. And it was hard.

Could he have had a sore knee too? I would be suprised if he didn't. But he got a concussion and missed time because of it. No doubt.

Old
09-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, saying I sound foolish and whatnot. Why do you always have to act so hostile and defensive? I was only reporting what Staal himself said about the knee injury.

And I never denied that he didn't suffer a concussion. There were 2 separate injuries, the knee and the concussion. I explained it one of my posts above. The Rangers had no clue he had a concussion until late March, which doesn't exactly make the situation any better. They should have conducted a baseline test right after the hit and they failed to do so until a month later after Staal missed 2 games for "undisclosed reasons." I am not thrilled with how the Rangers handled this either.
So...no one bothered to read the quotes from Tortorella that I posted? They did know he wasn't feeling great after that hit. They had him pass the baseline test before he went back into the lineup. He was fine, but started feeling effects again later and they held him out again.

Quote:

Yes it is and that's likely what happened. he did hurt his knee but they didn't want to report the possible concussion to the media so they just reported the knee injury. He had both though. Pretty simple

Old
09-19-2011, 07:04 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Actually, looks like he did fool you. In fact, based on the absolutely blatant stupidity you've repeatedly put forth in this thread, I'd wager that you are fooled quite regularly and easily.
Being afraid that we could possibly lose the lynchpin of our defense for an extended period of time - yes that is something that is blatantly stupid

Old
09-19-2011, 07:34 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes it is. But the real reason why he was having trouble was the head not the knee. And the fact that there's a few posters here who have very specific knowledge were minimized at the time and still are.

So here we are 7 months later and Staal is still having trouble with Post concussion symptoms. What makes anyone think another 2 weeks off is going to fix it?

Now that the Rangers have come clean the NHL should take action against the Rangers for knowingly endangering Staal's health. The Rangers circumvented the league's concussion policy and are not only responsible to the league but to the individual (Staal) as well.

Closed Thread